The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why is IC so much better than Cyro?

FortheloveofKrist
FortheloveofKrist
✭✭✭✭✭
Confession: I do all my PvP in Imperial City and the Sewers now. There is never any lag down there. But I can't figure something out...

Why is there no lag in IC, yet if you go out in Cyro to take keeps the lag is awful? In IC there is never any lag, and last night on PS4 NA there were 30 yellow vs. 25 blue vs. 25 red fighting for the Temple district flag for almost 2 hours. No lag anywhere. I could clearly see everything, in the middle of the fight with a tank taking constant damage.

So why do fights up in Cyro near a keep, with the same number of players (or less), turn into an unplayable lagfest?

I'm not complaining. I had a blast last night. When the game is free of lag, which seems to be the norm in IC, it's amazing. But what's the difference between IC and Cyro main?

Any insight?
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smaller land mass, fewer people, no sieges... [Snip]

[Edited for Baiting]

Wasn't really baiting though
    Edited by Voxicity on July 30, 2016 7:49PM
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Cyrodiil because the environment is awesome.

I like Imperial City because it brings something new to the table, but isn't as nice imo as Cyrodiil.

Imperial City also rarely lags, while you must play on specified campaigns with low population for Cyrodiil not to lag.

Why is PvP such a mess.... *sigh
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First I want to say I am not suggesting any faction is doing something shady.
    That being said on PS4 Scourge for some reason when engaging DC as an EP I encounter far more lag than when engaging AD with the same level of players in Cyrodiil.
    This megaserver is very strange.
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That being said on PS4 Scourge for some reason when engaging DC as an EP I encounter far more lag than when engaging AD with the same level of players in Cyrodiil.

Actually I have the exact same experience encountering DC as an AD on PC EU.

EP is fine, DC is an absolute lag fest.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wasn't so bad for me. Outside of IC, the lag was just split second here and there when occurs.. more annoying than anything. The worst part from Cyrodiil is really recovery from being killed over and over again.. being ambushed by mobs of other pact players. It can be offset somewhat when you're with a group and kills off the mobs of other players or take revenge on whoever killed you. I think you could get some kind of post-traumatic stress from PvPing after doing it for so long. Lol! Oh man, but not sure if that's something to laugh at, though. Haaa..
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's no Horse Simulator between battles. You can find fights, and if for whatever reason there's nobody to fight, there's PVE elements. You can keep yourself busy. In Cyrodiil, there's too much opportunity for downtime and boredom. The castle sieges can be fantastic, but otherwise there's too much potential for downtime inbetween large fights.
  • WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭
    Smaller area is nice, I never have to go to far to find a fight, and if I die its not a days ride back to the battle. Cryodiil has its ups as well though, big team battles, taking keeps. You get a lot more teamwork and strategy with Cryodiil. IC just makes it better if the only thing you want to do is fight and not waste time finding a fight. I mean, you can jump into the sewer or any district and boom, there is an enemy or two just like that. It's more solo friendly for the most part.

I really enjoy how they did it, you can get different pvp styles with two completely different areas, but I find myself in the IC mostly.
    Xbox One - North American - Ebonheart Pact
    Anti-Pop Lv 50 Magicka Nightblade Dark Elf
    WacArnold Lv 50 Magicka Templar Argonian
  • dennissomb16_ESO
    dennissomb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is there are simply far fewer people in IC overall, especially in one spot. Add that with fewer overall effects like siege etc. and there is simply less overhead for IC virtual zones. I can log into Trueflame on NA PC with all 3 factions locked and every aspect from entrance to big fights has significantly high ping. Log in during off hours with no factions locked and the exact same spots have significantly lower ping

basically the combination of their software and hardware struggles with the amount of people in Cyrodil
  • ku5h
    ku5h
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KaiVox22 wrote: »

Actually I have the exact same experience encountering DC as an AD on PC EU.

EP is fine, DC is an absolute lag fest.

I second this. I can fight 100 EP without any lag, but when fighting 10-15 DC lag spikes trough the roof. Dont know what's the reason behind this.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Cyrodil lags due to shear player count in a single instance. IC is compartmentalized, smaller groups equals less lag in a given area.

IC is better imo purely for the sake of having a venue to actually outplay another player/s without all the stupid "large scale" "I'm helping guys! In pvping! Look at me set up seige weapons and spam mutagen!". IC allows for more intimate exchanges between players when individual skill more often than not shows which is what pvp is ultimately about.

There is a certain type of player that gets swept up in the spectacle of large scale pvp encounters, to the point where they find it exhilarating to be a part of some grandiose battle, but at the end if the day, a good 90 percent of cyrodil is just that... spectacle without the requirement for actually skillful play. Now don't get me wrong, there absolutely can be moments of great plays between a small group vs a larger one or a small exchange in the field or on the ramparts of a fort, but those moments are generally rare and usually ruined by random interferences.

Battle grounds and arena seriosuly cant come any *** sooner. Until then, the risk / reward, environment that allows good players to shine and bad ones without the ability to hide in a crowd (for the most part), the varioUS techniques in using the environment to your advantage when out numbered via patrolling bosses and mobs etc etc, is where it's at.