The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

a few questions from a new player

TheToxicJoe
TheToxicJoe
Soul Shriven
hello, I just got the game a few days ago with a friend and I'd like to know a few things since I've been a bit overwhelmed haha.

first of all how much does a race matter for the late game? I've been searching about the game and I saw many threads about maximising your class with your race, but in most MMO's I love being the healer of the group but in Elder Scrolls I love being an Orc so, is that a viable option? would people kick me out of dungeons if I'd be something like that? (an Orc healer for example)

also which faction should I choose? we took the explorer pack so we can choose any faction. me and my friend went with the EP because of Morrowind (and so far we got off the starting Island and friken loved the looks of that place) but I'd love to choose another faction for my solo character, I wanted Daggerfall but I've heard that questing there is bad and that the Orc town is barely a thing, is that true?

sorry for writing such a long post I just have a lot of questions about the game haha thank you for answering and reading :)

Best Answer

• Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hello, I just got the game a few days ago with a friend and I'd like to know a few things since I've been a bit overwhelmed haha.

first of all how much does a race matter for the late game? I've been searching about the game and I saw many threads about maximising your class with your race, but in most MMO's I love being the healer of the group but in Elder Scrolls I love being an Orc so, is that a viable option? would people kick me out of dungeons if I'd be something like that? (an Orc healer for example)
    The race choice is very important for late game, the 10-15% bump in performance is noticeable.
    However, race should not matter much if you are a healer, since healing is pretty straightforward - you just need to pump your magicka pool and magicka regen to be able to spam heals. Yes, magicka. Stamina healers are not viable at all, since most heals come from the Restoration Staff skill line, along with certain Templar skills, and all of which are magicka skills.

Don't beat yourself up about race choice, choose Orc if you wish, min/maxing is not that important for healers. Also, race Change tokens are coming into the game in just a few days. If you wish to change your race at any time, you can.
    also which faction should I choose? we took the explorer pack so we can choose any faction. me and my friend went with the EP because of Morrowind (and so far we got off the starting Island and friken loved the looks of that place) but I'd love to choose another faction for my solo character, I wanted Daggerfall but I've heard that questing there is bad and that the Orc town is barely a thing, is that true?

sorry for writing such a long post I just have a lot of questions about the game haha thank you for answering and reading :)

The Faction choice is a bit more permanent than the race choice, but I believe it has less impact on your gameplay.
    Currently you can visit any other faction maps, and do their quests. You can also go to any group dungeon with a mix of players from all alliances.
    This will be even easier once the One Tamriel update comes live (later this year), when you will be able to visit any zone as soon as lvl 1, and you will be coexisting with other factions on the same maps.
    So, essentially, the faction you choose will only limit who you can attack in Cyrodiil and Imperial City (PvP zones).
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
    Answer ✓
  • jeedrzej
    jeedrzej
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Race is very importart if you are min/maxer. But to casual game... no diffrence. Just play wchich you want.
    Its, you know... 15% more dps or something...

Faction...
    With one tamriel, factions wont affect PVE. One tamriel is comming this fall.
    But in PVP its very important becouse you choose your side in war :P
    Edited by jeedrzej on July 29, 2016 8:30AM
    Jeedrzej - Magica Dragonknight lvl 50
    Ealian Elieilijas - Magica Sorcerer lvl 50
    Enerias Kazner - Magica Templar lvl 50
    Marcelius SIlny - Stamina Dragonknight lvl 50
    Anvena Kazner - Stamina NIghtblade lvl 50
    Arcynekromantka Anastazja - Magica Nightblade lvl 50
    Threiva Krwawooka - Stamina Sorcerer lvl 50
    Anvena Karen - Stamina Templat lvl 50
    Furia Dorathis - Stamina Dragonknight lvl 50
    Verinia Dziecię Światła - Magica Templar lvl 50
    Anwen Llenariolis - Magica Warden lvl 50
    Welandil Mroźne Serce - Magicka Warden lvl 50
    Brunein Silny - Stamina Warden lvl 50
    Jilialis Szept Nocy - Magicka Sorcerer lvl 50
    Dareiva Tancerka Cieni - Stamina NIghtblade lvl 50
    Doweriusz Desson - Magicka Necromancer lvl 40

Achievement Hunter
    32560 Achievement Points
    CP1203
    3916 collected books
    305 days in-game
  • jeedrzej
    jeedrzej
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And whatever you choose... you will quest in all factions
    Jeedrzej - Magica Dragonknight lvl 50
    Ealian Elieilijas - Magica Sorcerer lvl 50
    Enerias Kazner - Magica Templar lvl 50
    Marcelius SIlny - Stamina Dragonknight lvl 50
    Anvena Kazner - Stamina NIghtblade lvl 50
    Arcynekromantka Anastazja - Magica Nightblade lvl 50
    Threiva Krwawooka - Stamina Sorcerer lvl 50
    Anvena Karen - Stamina Templat lvl 50
    Furia Dorathis - Stamina Dragonknight lvl 50
    Verinia Dziecię Światła - Magica Templar lvl 50
    Anwen Llenariolis - Magica Warden lvl 50
    Welandil Mroźne Serce - Magicka Warden lvl 50
    Brunein Silny - Stamina Warden lvl 50
    Jilialis Szept Nocy - Magicka Sorcerer lvl 50
    Dareiva Tancerka Cieni - Stamina NIghtblade lvl 50
    Doweriusz Desson - Magicka Necromancer lvl 40

Achievement Hunter
    32560 Achievement Points
    CP1203
    3916 collected books
    305 days in-game
  • Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, I wanted to start of by saying that class does matter in end-game content (such as leaderboard based trials and the solo arena and PvP competitiveness). This became more relevant with the removal of soft caps, which amplified the buffs that players get from these passives.

Unfortunately, this is probably the most uncertain time to ask that question, since the upcoming DLC is intended to be a race balancing DLC and many of the changes to racial passives are still be tested.

However, the rule of thumb (in my experience) seems to be that the best Magicka race is High Elf and the best Stamina race is Redguard. In some instances, like if you specifically choose the class Nightblade, Wood Elf might be slightly better/different.

Second, I think that because of the same reason you were thinking, many people choose EP as their faction. It seems to have the highest population. It's really matter of preference. EP is snowy. AD is green. DC is... dunno. One Tamriel will be rolling out soon, allowing players of all factions to coexist in the same world map.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Races matter a great deal, since depending on your race you will be 10-20 attribute points worth of resources shorter or better off.

There are currently two races that are good for healers: Altmer, Breton.

The reason is that these two races have the highest magicka pool, and that leads them to be able to give better buffs and resource management skills.

That being said, there is no content in the game that is impossible to complete with any race. It's just that you will go through it with an disadvantage compared to those who chose a different race than you.

One thing worth to mention, what role you play is class dependant. Many groups do not trust non-templar healers, and do not want to play with them - so regardless of what race you choose, if you wish to become a healer, choose Templar class.

It's not because non-Templar healers are bad healers, it's just that the majority of all healers are bad - and a bad Templar healer have more utility for healing + providing buffs & resource management skills teams than healers of other classes, so they're the preferred. << this only applies to if you run with randoms or use grouping tool, usually guildies and friends you've played with will not be that harsh toward you.
    Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on July 29, 2016 9:28AM
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭

My favourite stories are in Daggerfall but everyone has a different view on quests and zones. They do not go in to any Orc land other than some quests in a walled village like Skyrim and one of the starter islands for DC in the base game. You go into a large Orc area in the Wrothgar DLC.

I doubt anyone will kick you for being an Orc healer. Racial passives have an effect in end game to an extent.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • TheToxicJoe
    TheToxicJoe
    Soul Shriven
    thank you all for your answers! I think I understood most of it, I'll try to mix and match and explore and see what works best :) I do plan on opening multiple races and characters so we'll see how things work out!

also, the new update sounds really interesting.