Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

holy crap prices for racial/name/apperance change

• King_Khaos
    What the F*CK ZOS! A race change is the more expensive than a DLC?! You guys are so greedy, I mean, this should be a feature available for players who f'd up at the beginning of the game and should be available for a decent amount of gold. This shouldn't be a feature that's locked behind a wall where people have to pay $20+ to change their character's appearance.
  • JimT722
    JimT722
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Race and name change I can see charging for, but the prices they are asking I would just make a new character. Appearance change (within your own race) should have a NPC and charge gold, especially with the style parlor being added. I hope the hairstyles, adornments, and body markings aren't very much because if they are reasonable I will buy some.

I am for the first time getting concerned they are going to over monetize the game. The appearance change system and costume dyeing are features that should help the player make changes to their character and attire that allow them to fix things they may not be happy with.

If people are happy with their characters, they will keep playing and spending money.
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    are they serious with those prices?. what are the people at ZoS smoking?.

i was gonna buy a name change. but not at that price, that's ridiculous.

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom those prices need to be re-evaluated, a name change for $25?. hell no.
    Edited by Lucky28 on July 28, 2016 6:02AM
    Invictus
  • imredneckson
    imredneckson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pema wrote: »
    So the prices came out in this item: http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/news/post/2016/07/26/update-11-guide-eso-style-parlor

I feel the racial change is broken because it does not allow you to change name, this is lorebreaking. I always choose my name carefully, and changing race would need a new name. To spend a 3k on the change then another 2,5k for the name only sounds a bit far-fetched.
    Before you all start to rant about the temporary sale on the bundle, yes that fixes it for now. I find the 2,5k for a name change very much, why is a name so expensive while a char change is so cheap.
    I expected the racial to be expensive, but expected it was all in one...

Sooo a crown sink has been added to the game, supplement by the new hairstyles we need to go buy.

Curious what you guys think of the prices... are they worth it.

Its not much of a shock that ZOS made the prices high. They know we want race/name changes so they are going to milk this for all its worth but on the other hand it would be rather confusing looking for PvP players who got a race/name change and figuring out who they are so I'm indifferent about it.
    Legions of Mordor Guild Officer
    Member of the GvG Community

Dunmer NB - Merser Frey (DC)
    Dunmer DK - Akaviri Battlereeve (DC)- http://orig05.deviantart.net/7ecd/f/2016/013/b/f/you_***_kill_by_eso_picture-d9nrz0q.png
    Imperial Templar - Knight of the Blood Oath (DC)-
    http://orig00.deviantart.net/5ba3/f/2016/115/a/0/jesus_beam_ftw____by_eso_picture-da09ecj.png
    High Elf Templar - Aurí-El (AD)
    High Elf Templar - Teutonic Honor Guard (EP)
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thing is, if there were like 1000 crown max, I would have changed 2 races. Bretons to high elves.

With these costs, I won't bother.
  • Haxnschwammer
    Haxnschwammer
    ✭✭✭✭
    Marketing from Zo$....

Many people cried for race/class/name changes. ZO$ will milk those whales for that and a month later
    there will be a bundle for half the rice and people will storm in to throw their cash at Zo$.
    Or maybe another 50% discount on crowns? Either way, ZO$ will fill their pockets with
    money again...

People could vote with their wallet and say no, but I reall think a lot of people will pay that
    for one or the other reason...
    Once I was a healer. Then I took a Wrobel to the knee.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think that the Appearance change is fine. 1k is what you pay for a costume, its cheaper than any mount!
    Race change is fine too, apart from the fact than you can't change your name which is kinda stupid. 3k is expensive and not affordable to everyone, so we won't see High Elves turning into Cats one month and then Cats turning into Lizards the next. Its a good thing they made this stuff expensive.
    Name change ain't fine at all though. I mean we don't even see the names here on Xbox, most people choose to keep the gamertags as its easier to recognise people when they change characters etc. But on the other hand with the names being so meaningless to me I would probably keep mine. Although if I changed my chick character to a dude which i kinda wanted to do, it would be weird... Very weird. But if people are into RP then its definetly a bad decision on their part making name changes this expensive.

@pema To agree with OP, I also think that a race change should include the full customisation of the character including the name.

To sum this up : appearance change price is fine, race change price is fine, name change price is ***.
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • Izaki
    Izaki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »
    So the prices came out in this item: http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-gb/news/post/2016/07/26/update-11-guide-eso-style-parlor

I feel the racial change is broken because it does not allow you to change name, this is lorebreaking. I always choose my name carefully, and changing race would need a new name. To spend a 3k on the change then another 2,5k for the name only sounds a bit far-fetched.
    Before you all start to rant about the temporary sale on the bundle, yes that fixes it for now. I find the 2,5k for a name change very much, why is a name so expensive while a char change is so cheap.
    I expected the racial to be expensive, but expected it was all in one...

Sooo a crown sink has been added to the game, supplement by the new hairstyles we need to go buy.

Curious what you guys think of the prices... are they worth it.

they are f***ing high, too high, I was expecting not more than 1000 for each token...

and that thing, that they did not include name change too into race change just sucks!!
    there is bundle for race-appearance-name change for 3500, but that is still too much..

ZOS screwed this up!!!

too bad ZOS has choosen the "higher price, not so many will buy it" style, rather than "make the price not more than 500 - 1000 and everyone would buy it"
    !!!

It kinda was their point, to limit the sales of race change because it would just stuff things up in the game. That way only the people who think they HAVE to change race in order to be competitive will buy the Race Change and I think a lot of people will buy it. So I respect ZOS for not making it dirt cheap. So yeah I hope they don't lower these prices, because after all before race change was introduced we were doing just fine ! Even if for me a race change is out of reach, I won't put more than my subscription fee into this hobby every month. And I still think ZOS made the right decision on the price of race change (but not name change thats bull****)
    @ Izaki #PCEU
    #FrenchKiss #GoneFor2YearsAndMyGuildDoesn'tRaidAnymore
    #MoreDPSthanYou
    #Stamblade
  • bertenburnyb16_ESO
    bertenburnyb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zos is king at overpricing poorly executed stuff, this is so for as good as everything in the crown store (looking at you hero costumes, reskin mounts, ...)
    is they would come with reasonable prices, more people would buy it more often, and in the end they would make alot more money, but if you look at the prices now, biggest part of the players are like "5k (20euro) for 1 costumes .... euhm nope" or "10euros to change my char name... euhm nope", while only hardcore fanboys are going for these prices now
    Haze Ramoran Dunmer Dragonknight Tank/Dps – Smoked-Da-Herb Saxheel Templar Tank/Healer

Red Diamond, Protect us 'til the end (EU EP Thorn)
  • ManDraKE
    ManDraKE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3000 crowns race change that dosn't include a name change? lol, what a moneygrab.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me, the ONLY logic ZOS has in this is that they are counting on people buying Crowns on sale... so they'd be half-price with a Crown sale. So they double the price, then offer Crowns on sale. It's like when I was merchandise manager for a company I used to work for... our stores would offer certain items on permanent sale for "half-price" but in reality we would double the price of the item before sending it out to the stores to be sold at 'half-price'.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm extremely disappointed in the pricing because it locks me out of doing the small changes I've been wanting to do on every single one of my characters. I simply can't justify a thousand crowns x8 to...make a character's eyes bigger... make a character 1 tick taller... change the makeup of one character... etc. These are really small changes and I simply won't feel I've gotten my money's worth unless I do a radical overhaul. So instead I'm stuck with characters that make me really unhappy because I cannot go in and do some fine tuning that I've been looking forward to being able to do for over a year. Had I known ZOS was going to do this to us I'd have rerolled rather than progressing these characters.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• dalodir
    dalodir
    ✭✭
    Very expensive. I recall wow is around £5/6 for name change. Can only imagine they are expecting this to be price inelastic.

Also I imagine people have huge growing crown wallets due to eso+ subscription bonus and a lack of interesting stuff in store to spend it on. So this will help them burn through their stockpiles of crowns.

The sales do help people who do not subscribe to eso+. For myself (who subscribes to eso+) Despite having plenty of crowns already, I bought more crowns during the sales. Probably not a good idea to do this.

The price is not to discourage you to buy it. It's absurd to think that. They've set themselves up to have this functionality and they will want to see some return on it.
  • Arthg
    Arthg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find the race price OK. Races must still mean something in an RPG, and the price will prevent race-hopping, and encourage thinking twice about doing it.

That being said, the race change should definitely have come with the name change.

The price tag on the name change is just daylight robbery.
    PC/EU. NoCP PvP. sDK Orc IRL. Flawless tamperor. Pro scrub.
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What most are forgetting is ZOS changed the racial passives before, which is why most people wanted a race change. Now they change them again, enable race change and then charge a huge amount of crowns.

I would rather see the first race change be like 1000 crowns, but to change the race on the same character again to be something like 3000 or 5000 crowns.

This would give players who got "screwed" by the racial passive change a chance to switch to the race they want AND discourage them to do it a lot of times.
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well the pricing is ok in my book... basically pay attention to what race you choose for the class and build u want to play also pay attention and make ur character good from the start... if not pay the price for it... after all.. plastic surgery is not cheap right ?
  • joshhh_nb
    joshhh_nb
    ✭✭
    If they charged 4k for a mount what did you expect lol. I cant wait for the housing to cost as much as some peoples rents.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crown Packs

• 750 Crowns = $7.99 USD
    • 1500 Crowns = $14.99 USD
    • 3000 Crowns = $24.99 USD
    • 5500 Crowns = $39.99 USD

Real Prices
    Imperial City = $18.18 USD - $26.67 USD
    Orsinium = $21.82 USD - $32 USD
    Thieves Guild = $14.55 USD - $21.33 USD
    Dark Brotherhood = $14.55 USD - $21.33 USD
    Shadows of the Hist = $10.91 USD - $16 USD

&

Appearance Change Token = $7.27 USD - $10.67 USD
    Race Change Token = $21.82 USD - $32 USD
    Name Change Token = $18.18 USD - $26.67 USD

This is despicable. Such greedy Devs it makes me sick what'll come of ESO now.
  • DHale
    DHale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be lucky I am not in charge it would have been more expensive. You would have paid and then get your red guard or your high elf and said to yourself, "oh its not the race it was me all along". You have the 80 20 rule. The bell shaped curve in ESO it's a little different 80 are not good players 10 are average players and 10 are good players and amongst that 10 percent of good players are elite players. So the 80 20 rule still applies.
    Sorcerna, proud beta sorc. RIP April 2014 to May 31 2016 DArk Brotherhood. Out of retirement for negates and encases. Sorcerna will be going back into retirement to be my main crafter Fall 2018. Because an 8 k shield is f ing useless. Died because of baddies on the forum. Too much qq too little pew pew. 16 AD 2 DC. 0 EP cause they bad, CP 2300 plus 18 level 50 toons. NA, PC, Grey Host#SORCLIVESMATTER actually they don’t or they wouldn’t keep getting nerfed constantly.
  • EnOeZ
    EnOeZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Moglijuana wrote: »
    Wow...ZOS Must be desperate for that cash. What a rip off lol. Too bad the money they get won't go into FIXING THEIR DAMN GAME but oh well...

/agree

Fixing the game would be the best way to spend and to earn money in the future.
    Wish they could realize that.

First, fix lag, charge and so many game-breaking technical issues !
    Second, make as if - ZOS - you were still interested in PVP a little bit...

Faith erodes.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I have to post it also here :smiley:

ZOS...

a7fc014bf8488b37d60ed7dc6c76acbff5d3fb7491ff3cbd302a4a9a4743ef14.jpg
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DHale wrote: »
    Be lucky I am not in charge it would have been more expensive. You would have paid and then get your red guard or your high elf and said to yourself, "oh its not the race it was me all along". You have the 80 20 rule. The bell shaped curve in ESO it's a little different 80 are not good players 10 are average players and 10 are good players and amongst that 10 percent of good players are elite players. So the 80 20 rule still applies.

Nonsense, and you know it. You know that min-maxers want this change and who are the min-maxers? Mostly the 20 and not the 80. The 80 won't even change race because they are enjoying the game just fine with their current characters.

For instance, I can run my sorcerer just fine through a trial. It would just work a little better if it was a High Elf instead of Breton. Would I pay 1000 crowns for that change? Yes. Would I pay 3000 crowns? Uhm, let me think about that for a while and see if it drops in price later on.
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • Kildayen
    Kildayen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I will have to respectfully disagree. In my opinion, the thing that is lorebreaking is the fact that you are able to change your race and character. In any game I have played, if I made a character and chose the wrong race or a name I disliked, I would have to make a new character to get what I wanted. ZOS did not have to add this to their game. I think people should just be thankful they have the option to change now. If you think it is too expensive, do what many other people have done. Make a new character and level them up.

We do not "need" to buy anything. We aren't forced to buy hairstyles.
    Neowit wrote: »
    Racial passives affect game play. Being forced to pay $25 for the best passives is where this game begins to become a pay-to-win cash vacuum. It's a little disappointing that the dedicated player base being milked like this. Particularly when existing issues with fundamental aspects of the game are not being addressed by the people milking us. This is a bad precedence here.

I disagree. We are not being forced to pay for anything. If you don't like the passives you have on your character, then start over with a new character and make it right. If you want the luxury of being able to change your race without having to level everything up again, pay the price and be thankful you have that option.
    King_Khaos wrote: »
    What the F*CK ZOS! A race change is the more expensive than a DLC?! You guys are so greedy, I mean, this should be a feature available for players who f'd up at the beginning of the game and should be available for a decent amount of gold. This shouldn't be a feature that's locked behind a wall where people have to pay $20+ to change their character's appearance.

Once again, if you messed up at the beginning of the game, go create a new character. You want the luxury of saving the time and work? Then pay the price. I hate this feeling of entitlement that so many people have these days. You want something? Work for it.
    What most are forgetting is ZOS changed the racial passives before, which is why most people wanted a race change. Now they change them again, enable race change and then charge a huge amount of crowns.

I would rather see the first race change be like 1000 crowns, but to change the race on the same character again to be something like 3000 or 5000 crowns.

This would give players who got "screwed" by the racial passive change a chance to switch to the race they want AND discourage them to do it a lot of times.

I agree with you, but... Yes I believe that when ZOS makes changes to races, and they are something that you did not expect when creating your character, they should offer the option to change for FREE! It is only fair. Here is the hard part. If they gave us this option to change for free, they should also have to give the option for class changes, right? I mean look at how many times skills were changed for specific classes. There have been some huge changes, many that I disagree with for some of my classes. Unfortunately, they will never allow us to change our class. We are all kinda screwed when it comes to this. If they make a change, we as the consumer have to just deal with it or buy something else. I do agree that they should give us the option of race change for free or very cheap.
    Well the pricing is ok in my book... basically pay attention to what race you choose for the class and build u want to play also pay attention and make ur character good from the start... if not pay the price for it... after all.. plastic surgery is not cheap right ?

Thank you, @xenowarrior92eb17_ESO I agree with you 100%. In every game I have played, if I dislike a choice I made, my only option was to go back and start over again. People are lucky to have the option to pay for a change without having to do all the hard work again. I am tired of the entitlement and the "make everything easy for me" attitude that so many of the players have in this game.

I also feel that the prices they have introduced with these options to change things about your character are very fair. I do not feel they are expensive. They are exactly what I expected. @ZOS_JessicaFolsom and @ZOS_GinaBruno , please relay my thanks to the Dev team for creating such a fair price point for these options. They are exactly where they need to be.

• Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Time is money. And changing race via Crown Store saves you a *lot* of time with rolling an alt, ranking up Undaunted, Alliance War, Mages/Fighters Guild, 180 horse upgrades, gathering skyshards, etc. So I think race change price is understandable. Name and appearance prices do seem a bit high.
  • Lara1701
    Lara1701
    ✭✭✭
    With such outlandish flat rates for appearances changes, no one has any incentive to make any minor alterations. In a game like The Old Republic you can spend cartel coin after cartel coin making simple changes. However, to spend 1,000 crowns to make the smallest change? There is nothing reasonable or logical about it.

Nor have the apologists played many games if they think this is "normal".
    "M'aiq knows much, and tells some. M'aiq knows many things others do not."
    ―M'aiq the Liar
  • Polysemy
    Polysemy
    ✭✭✭
    Traffic to third party websites like g2a will be amazing.

Great Success ZOS!
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    Time is money. And changing race via Crown Store saves you a *lot* of time with rolling an alt, ranking up Undaunted, Alliance War, Mages/Fighters Guild, 180 horse upgrades, gathering skyshards, etc. So I think race change price is understandable. Name and appearance prices do seem a bit high.

What saves you bout.... 6 hours now? or less even.
    Edited by Polysemy on July 28, 2016 9:38PM
    Grade A ***
  • Kronuxx
    Kronuxx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

Exactly. The current Race Change price is justified. My time is precious to me as I need it for other things, like spending more time at my job. Realize that making it cheaper will not benefit ZOS nor do I think it's better for the health of this game to be in constant flux. Currently at 3000 crowns, for every 3 people who would have wanted it at 1000 and thus will not buy it, there will be that one person who will buy it and justify the price. For every 6 people who complain and wish it was 500 crowns, there will be that one person who will buy it at 3000 crowns and again justify it at its current price. Oh and by the way, I'm one of those people. As time is money, and in my eyes, race change is worth it at 3000.
    Edited by Kronuxx on July 28, 2016 9:51PM
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kildayen wrote: »
    Once again, if you messed up at the beginning of the game, go create a new character.

It's not quite a matter of the player "messing up" and making some mistake when creating the characters. Initially races didn't make too much difference due to softcaps.

Not only do some of these passives now make a much bigger difference without softcaps, but also many of the racial passives have changed and will ideally continue to change further if the developers have a goal of reaching a reasonable level of balance.

Before this feature was officially announced, there was no promise of any race change feature, and obviously if we wanted to try a different race, we simply made a new character.

Once it was announced, many of us got excited about the prospect of trying totally new builds with some of our existing characters. I don't know about you, but personally I enjoy researching different sets and figuring out some interesting build idea that may or may not work - some of these can only be achieved with a specific race. It's about trying new and interesting build concepts, rather than fixing some perceived mistake.

There are some who have put in 1 - 2 years on a character, playing massive numbers of hours to reach alliance rank grand overlord for example, maxed undaunted mettle or unlock many achievements etc. The announcement got a lot of people thinking they'd have a chance to try other builds with that character they've invested so much time into, and there are some builds out there which are only possible with one or two specific races.

I'm sure some are still inclined to try the race change token at this price point, but if it were lower (or if it goes on sale in the future at a deep discount), the highly elastic demand curve for this type of consumable virtual item suggests there is a point where overall revenue goes through the roof when it's cheap enough for the average player to buy a few of them.
    Edited by IcyDeadPeople on July 28, 2016 10:26PM
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm extremly disappointed in the pricing for the race, name and appearance change. You would think that ZOS would want to truly cash in on all the min/maxers changing things all the time to cater to their needs when patches change things, but I guess not. Only a fool would pay these prices! It is simply easier to delete the one character and reroll than it is worth the cost of these.

Far too many characters to list any more.
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow with the pricing I REALLY feel ripped off when they double dip people who have race appropriate names and have to buy both a race change and name change.

I guess my argonian character is just a dead mule/crafter till they make other changes or lower the price to be reasonable or realize what asses they are double dipping their customers in the first place.