Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A crafter gone mad

vamp_emily
vamp_emily
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I knew I should have came here the other day to ask for advice. I was going to post something like "Crafting - when to tell your friends no". But I didn't want my friends to come here thinking I was talking about them.

Well today I was bad again. I snapped on someone for asking me to craft them some gear. I know they meant no harm but this has been bothering me for a few days now. My friends husband will log in and ask me to make him gear, he will log out and then his wife logs in and asks me to make her gear. It seems like every time I am playing the game someone wants me to craft them gear.

This is kind of what went on this morning:

[ I log in ]
Friends husband: Hi
me: hi
him: can you help me train my new character
me: no, i have to leave soon
him: Did you get a chance to make me new gear
me: Didn't u get some new gear yesterday
him: oh that was my nb, I am talking about the cp160 for the sorc
me: no I have not had time.
me: my gear is like 10 levels behind, wish someone would make me some gear

him: lol

[ he logs off, and his wife logs in ]
frend: hi emily
me: hi, how are you doing?
friend: fine, I have a question
me: yes
friend: can you make me gear for this character?
me: OMG, will guys please stop
me: do you know how much it costs to craft gear? How much time i have to put into it
me: I don't even have enough gold to craft my own gear, because I have to spend it on your gear
friend: Sorry, I won't ask you again
me: It seems like every time I log in, everyone wants gear crafted for free
me: I am so busy making everyone else happy and don't have time to make myself happy
me: you know what, I have 10 characters will you please craft me gear for them

[ friend quits talking to me ]

I don't know about you guys but it takes me a long time for me to craft gear, my crafting is split up into 4 characters. Depending on what they need I have to log in/ log out several times, and then take each crafter to the location. I never ask for any gold or supplies when I craft, so I have to pay out of my own pocket for crafting supplies. And most the time I don't have the supplies, so I have to go supply shopping at all the guild stores. Not only that, I craft them everything I would wear when I craft my own gear. Armor, weapons, enchantments, food or drinks, and give them jewelry. It is expensive.

Now there are some friends that I don't mind crafting for, they give me things even when I tell them no. The say stuff like "Emily, you have helped me out so much I have to give you this". But these are the friends that don't ask me to craft them gear every few levels on all of their characters. Which I don't mind helping out.

Sorry for the Rant, it just helps me typing it out and makes me realize how wrong I am some times. I should have never been rude to my friend. I wouldn't be shocked if she de-friended me.

Edited by vamp_emily on July 27, 2016 1:36PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First world problems. Get some sun. You have, in fact, gone mad.
  • NikaTheCat
    NikaTheCat
    ✭✭✭
    But why don't you ask for supplies when you craft? Are you afraid of sounding cheap or something?

When I craft for my friends, they always give me mats to craft from. Yes, I do usually use my own style and trait mats, because I have loads of them, but the expensive rare stuff and the base crafting mats they always give me. Only sometimes I have to add some of my own mats, in case they haven't got enough or something.
    The thing is I don't really have to ask for mats, they take it as granted, because mats don't grow on trees (they are actually beneath trees or mountains or just growing in fields :D ).

The most difficult part in crafting for others is asking them exactly what they want, as it takes time. And then the crafting itself takes time.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    One possible solution; craft for free up to cp level. Over that, ask for the mats. The frequency of their requests will drop straight off. One person I told that to almost had a major coronary when he figured out that chest-150/shoulders-130/helm-130/hands-130/legs-140/boots-130 ingots/hides/bolts of mats for cp 160 gear. Then I told him which tempers, and how many he would need to make it gold. 2 for green + 3 for blue + 4 for purple + 8 for gold. For each piece of gear. Plus weapons. And what he'd need for the glyphs for enchanting, and the price of kuta runes.....

I split my crafting between two characters; one is smith/wood/clothing, the other is enchanter/alchemy/provisioning. For their main crafts they are both 50, and the smith/wood/clothing has all 9 traits in everything. I get a lot of requests from guildmates to make them sets from Wrothgar and the Gold Coast. I'm trying to figure out how to charge for mileage traveled during crafting.... Some people can be rather demanding when they ask for gear. I'm considering leaving one guild because of the attitudes some people have shown when they demand stuff. I want to play too. I did the work to do the research and level the crafting. That doesn't mean I'm in the game/guild to cater to your wishes immediately when I log in.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why I don't ask for anything.. but I do know I will go home and apologize. I feel bad for being rude, maybe it was just because I was tired.

Edited by vamp_emily on July 27, 2016 2:49PM

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a real Love/Hate with Crafting for others. I love that I can make things for other people, I hate dealing with some of the people who want crafting done. Not all of them for sure, just some of them.

A lot of the time, it is something simple, like one player wanted 7 Medium Twice Born Star in white. Easy peasy, one crafting station, they sent me all the mats (including trait stuff which I did not need) and gave a decent tip. Those are no issue. Or, they want one item made for trait research or whatever.

Then, there are those who want two different crafted sets, in 5 different racial styles, with odd combos of traits and want me to supply all the mats. Or, they want me to make them something in Nirn, but don't want to tip (it cost me tons of gold to research it in the first place)

So, I now pick and choose who I craft for, and some requests, I just turn down. Politely, but I still turn them down.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aaaaah crafting requests...

Yeah so I need 5H 1M 1L, SnB / 2H, defending greatsword, sharp sword, reinforced shield and chest, infused on larger pieces otherwise, impen on small, armor upgraded to blue, weapons to purple, xyvkin boots, legs, gloves and rest Daedric. Ah and it need to be a clever alchemist / hundings setup 5/5 depending on bar, so that i can buff up on 2H, swap to SnB and get Hundings 5/5. Oh and can you take care of enchanting too?

Yeah I can't provide the mats, hope it's not too troublesome.
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @vamp_emily Sadly, no one will appreciate what you do for them. That's why for me, there is only one person that gets stuff crafted for "free" and that's my wife. And she is actually my largest supplier of raw materials.

For everyone else, even people I consider friends, can have my skills but will have to provide the materials themselves. That even goes for style/trait stones. And I only craft white gear for them, never upgraded. I tell everyone that it is no problem to grind up to 50 and spend those 9 skillpoints into temper expertise, if they want cheap upgrades.

I never ask for payment, some give a tip, some don't. But universally everyone has to either buy or farm the mats.

As a result from this, many people come to me once for CP160 stuff. Afterwards they come in advance, talk about what I would suggest set wise and then go for CP150 stuff testing it out (for which I refuse to take a tip for) and once they have decided on what they really want, they get farming and get me to craft it.

I do not earn much with crafting, but after seeing the amount of mats needed and the price tag (or time tag) associated with it, they very well understand why I work that way. In the long run, you will have much less hassle that way.
  • SolarCat02
    SolarCat02
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usually ask for materials. Helpful and nice people, I will do lower levels for free if I have the materials on hand. (With enchants, I need to always ask for at least some stones because I don't have enough for full armor sets in the lower tiers either.)

I do the crafting when I get to it. If you are impatient, find someone else. If you are patient, you will get it faster. I do sometimes drop everything to make an armor set, but these are for the people who have demonstrated a willingness to prioritize things important to me. (My co-leader gets whatever he wants ASAP. He has changed his plans to help me countless times AND insists on providing all materials or reasonable equivalents.)

I do not craft for people outside the guild unless it's small and I am already there. Otherwise it's too much of a hassle. People don't understand the price of things, drag you along, and then decide afterwards they will only reimburse you 500g for that pair of Daedric purple Hunding's swords you made with your own supplies. (So I gave them to my husband instead). No more!

Inside the guild, it depends on how often you participate. If I know you well and you are helpful to others I would love to help you. If you play all day but only pop into chat late at night when you know I am logging out to demand things or complain that I never run the gold key with you after 10pm even though I am still online at 10:15, sorry, I am busy.

This is what I do to ensure crafting does not feel like a chore, but remains fun. :)
    Why be normal when you can be better?

Elissandra Ravenwing, Magicka Dragonknight Healer
    Lady Kalila, Stamina Templar DPS
    Stands-in-Danger, Nightblade Saptank
    Zalarah, Stamina Dragonknight DPS
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I will only craft gear for someone if:
    1. They have the mats. I might give a pass on some things like common racial style stones since I have so many, but for the most part I will only use my own mats for me.
    2. You must send me a mail with detailed instructions on what you want. I will not craft from instructions in chat that I will have to ask for over and over if the UI reloads or I relog or the game crashes, etc.
    3. If I have to go into Imperial City to craft whatever it is you want then you have to go with me ;)
    4. You must ask politely and then not be an a** asking me if I'm done every five minutes. Expect up to a 24-hour window on getting your crafted gear, I am not on the clock here.
    5. I do not expect a tip (although it is always appreciated). I do expect a thank you, I also accept vigorously espoused praise in guild chat of any guilds we share :)

If you cannot meet the above requirements then NO GEAR FOR YOU.
    Edited by wayfarerx on July 27, 2016 3:14PM
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • susmitds
    susmitds
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aah, couldn't care less.
  • Jazbay_Grape
    Jazbay_Grape
    ✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    I knew I should have came here the other day to ask for advice. I was going to post something like "Crafting - when to tell your friends no". But I didn't want my friends to come here thinking I was talking about them.

Well today I was bad again. I snapped on someone for asking me to craft them some gear. I know they meant no harm but this has been bothering me for a few days now. My friends husband will log in and ask me to make him gear, he will log out and then his wife logs in and asks me to make her gear. It seems like every time I am playing the game someone wants me to craft them gear.

[ I log in ]

me: do you know how much it costs to craft gear? How much time i have to put into it
    me: I don't even have enough gold to craft my own gear, because I have to spend it on your gear
    me: I am so busy making everyone else happy and don't have time to make myself happy

I don't know about you guys but it takes me a long time for me to craft gear, my crafting is split up into 4 characters. Depending on what they need I have to log in/ log out several times, and then take each crafter to the location. I never ask for any gold or supplies when I craft, so I have to pay out of my own pocket for crafting supplies. And most the time I don't have the supplies, so I have to go supply shopping at all the guild stores. Not only that, I craft them everything I would wear when I craft my own gear. Armor, weapons, enchantments, food or drinks, and give them jewelry. It is expensive.

Now there are some friends that I don't mind crafting for, they give me things even when I tell them no. The say stuff like "Emily, you have helped me out so much I have to give you this". But these are the friends that don't ask me to craft them gear every few levels on all of their characters. Which I don't mind helping out.

Sorry for the Rant, it just helps me typing it out and makes me realize how wrong I am some times. I should have never been rude to my friend. I wouldn't be shocked if she de-friended me.

That sucks. I would have had the same reaction. If you are on Xbox, I will craft you whatever you want/what I am able to whenever you want.
  • medusasfolly
    medusasfolly
    ✭✭✭
    Friends that expect you to immediately craft them CP160 gear for all their characters, free of charge and without providing mats.... aren't really friends.
  • Jazbay_Grape
    Jazbay_Grape
    ✭✭✭✭
    Friends that expect you to immediately craft them CP160 gear for all their characters, free of charge and without providing mats.... aren't really friends.

Right, I believe the correct term is "user". I have a soft spot for people who are being taking advantage of.
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Right, I believe the correct term is "user". I have a soft spot for people who are being taking advantage of.

Back in the day we used to call such a person a "leech," not sure what the kids call them nowadays.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agree.gif
  • AntMan100673
    AntMan100673
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean both your home and guest campaigns are overrun by the other factions and you don't want to spend the AP to change campaign? I need my armour master set NOW!!!

Actually one time I was on I heard someone asking the main crafter in our guild for some armour master gear, they were slightly resistant to the idea of going to make it...that person really lucked in that day though because I was actually already at the armour master station for an order I had so they just mailed me the mats so I could do it for them and no one had to go out of their way
    EU - EP - Dunmer - Dragonknight - Magicka DPS - CP160

GT: AntMan100673
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No mats or gold. No craft
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I only have one real friend within the game (sad isn't it) and he would not ask me to craft or make anything without insisting he supplies the materials up front. I currently consider anyone else on my 'friends' list as an acquaintance as I don't know them well enough to call them friends.

The only other people I have crafted for have approached me at the actual station and handed over materials up front. I don't care about getting paid and they have made the effort to go and wait for someone to come along so I don't mind as I am already there.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • x_Nathan_F
    x_Nathan_F
    ✭✭✭

Agreed grinding up all that silk is not something I would be willing to do only to do someone else's armor unless they were paying me a lot
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »

[ I log in ]

Completely understand gone through the same myself. There are people who want this or that then want you to style for their character make their build source the mats all for like 1K per piece. I finally had enough after one person sends me mats then an hour later says if you aren't going to make it then send it back. I got so pissed I sent the mats back made him the gear and went off saying I am not everyones personal crafter you hound me for this yet you don't even provide all the mats for it. He responds sorry while I am putting together another message which reads I am done making you gear go find someone else for crafting. Obviously he left my guild after that, I don't really regret it as he was a moocher always complaining no gold. He has made and deleted over 20 characters and spends all of his time in PVP and expects everyone to support his PVP habit. Some people are just give me, give me, give me. Probably not what your friend was like but maybe you ran across some people like this and it pushed you to your edge and then someone else comes along and your like OMFG enough already!! You know, only so much you can take, hope it works out with your friend.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that it can become frustrating and time consuming crafting gear for people. I actually had to stop advertising that I could do it. I feel your pain Emi.
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that it can become frustrating and time consuming crafting gear for people. I actually had to stop advertising that I could do it. I feel your pain Emi.
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damm

I can craft the light Armour and and staff ect and in about 2 months and a bit i will be able to craft all med however when somebody asked me to make them things its always "sure not a problem supply me mats and tell me what style" easy i don't ask for money but to make things and supply all mats and style ect that's greedy unless they are paying for it.

If i need something done i always ask only in white, i always supply everything mats gem and style and give 2k gold per piece as a thank you.

problem is not many people on xbox NA have all 9 traits in med Armour so i need to wait for 2 months to get Pelinal's Aptitude done :(

"By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• Pandorii
    Pandorii
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP you are not alone. There seems to be this 'intentional ignorance' from non-crafters towards crafters. They either don't really know or pretend not to know what the process is like. One pet peeve of mine is when someone says "they'll give you mats," but they don't provide the style material or trait material. Sapphires and Malchite can add up when you're giving away to strangers set by set.

I actually created a thread about it long ago about crafting being high risk and low reward. You are not alone.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/263493/crafting-for-others-high-risk-low-reward#latest
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I usee to love crafting for people, but it became a huge burden. Very few people respect how much time it takes to port and ride to different, specialty craft stations all over the map, to make and upgrade gear to their specific needs. Nor do most understand or respect how much of your playtime this takes up. Time that you would always prefer to be actually playing.

Now I have big restrictions. I will craft anything for one guild, and a few friends.
    1) send the request by mail not a tell, except for research pieces
    2) include set, piece, weight, style and trait details in the mail
    3) IC sets will cost you a 5k "trip fee"
    4) anything cp150 or less up to blue quality is free. You provide the mats for cp160 and purple or gold upgrades.
    5) enchants are free, you provide or pay for kuta if you want gold. (I used to have the same rule for Repora but those are plentiful now).

By restricting it and putting guidelines in place, crafting for people is no longer a chore. Even though these are my closest in game friends and guild mates, they always try to tip me. I don't usually accept.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • Vangy
    Vangy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I follow a send mail with what you need in detail + mats policy. No mats or no mail = no gear for you.
    (2)V16 Dk- stam dps/stam tank/mag dps
    (2)V16 Sorc- mag dps/stam dps
    (2)V16 nb- stam dps/mag dps
    (1)v16 temp- mag tank/mag dps
    CP: 610 and counting

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates! Viva la revolutionz
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't play as much as my spouse so I'm usually the craftee not the crafter.

But I'll make a low level item with any trait i know to share for folks in chat.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • InvitationNotFound
    InvitationNotFound
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    emily, i like the following of your chars:
    Drama Queen Emily(3) :smile:

as others have mentioned: let them provide the mats.
    I quite often craft equipment or research items for guild mates, but they will have to provide the mats. i'm not sponsoring anything or doing their job of checking all the vendors to get cheap mats. it already takes long enough to get to the crafting stations and create their items.

depending on who requests some items, i'll craft it for free (same pvp guild) or charge a fee per item (from 2.5k - 5k each) depending on the trait / set / style. note that they still have to provide the mats. this way i can make a little profit and get payed for the time wasting on crafting the items and get some compensation for the time / money spent on getting 9 traits and all styles. what i'd recommend to you is that you charge for crafting if they aren't really in your "main" guild or "real" friends.

furthermore, i normally craft before logging off or before starting something else (pvp or whatever). in most cases i'm not going to stop what i'm currently doing just to craft something for someone, except i have a good reason.
    We want firing off Dark Exchange in the middle of combat to feel awesome... - The Wrobler
    You know you don't have to be here right? - Rich Lambert
    Verrätst du mir deinen Beruf? Ich würde auch gerne mal Annahmen dazu schreiben, wie simple die Aufgaben anderer sind. - Kai Schober

Addons:
    RdK Group Tool: esoui DE EN FR
    Port to Friend's House: esoui DE EN FR - Library: DE EN
    Yet another Compass: esoui DE EN FR
    Group Buffs: esoui DE EN FR
  • kip_silverwolf
    kip_silverwolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG I know just how you feel OP, and I don't blame you one bit! I once had a friend who would hound me almost every day for armour, nearly every time he went up a level! Then he'd end up deleting his character (along with all the armour!) when he reached 50, start a new one, and begin asking for armour again! It got to the stage when I had to tell him 'NO MORE'!! But he only stopped asking when he moved to console.
    We laugh about it now, but it was so annoying at the time!

There are only a few select friends I don't mind crafting for because they either supply mats and/or help me out in other ways, plus are appreciative of the time & effort put into their gear.
    "I'm going to live forever..or at least die trying"

drunken Nord & Tamriel streaker since Arena