The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Intermittent Delay Interacting After Combat (PVE)

DrScott59
DrScott59
✭✭✭
I'm mainly posting this to ask if it is happening to everyone, or just me.... And if just me, what could be causing it?

The problem: Sometimes, immediately after killing an NPC or group of NPCs, I cannot interact with nearby objects for 3-5 seconds. This doesn't happen every time, but probably 60% of the time.

For example... A chest or resource node is near an NPC. I kill the NPC, then turn to the resource node. There is no "E - " prompt, and pressing E repeatedly does nothing for about 3-5 seconds, then the "E - " prompt appears and pressing E works normally (keystrokes are not queued). I can take loot from the dead NPCs immediately, never a delay there. It only happens with other objects like chests, ore, flowers, or even quest objects like the Obelisks in the Wrothgar UD quest. Also during that 3-5 seconds, I cannot mount -- but an attempt to mount does NOT produce any error message; rather the keystrokes are just silently ignored.

I'm pretty sure I am NOT "still in combat". First, I have add-ons that indicate combat completed. Second, the attempt to mount does NOT result in a "cannot mount during combat" message.

When the delay occurs, and during that 3-5 seconds... Direction keys still respond fine, as I can move any direction or sprint just fine. I can always loot the NPCs. I can still cast or use weapons. But I cannot interact with other objects, and I cannot mount. Again, not every time but probably 6 or 7 times out of 10.

I tried without any addons loaded, but still had the same issue. I have tried both the 32bit and 64bit clients, both exhibited the same issue.

I don't think it has always been this way. I *think* it started around the time of the Thieves' Guild DLC. It definitely pre-dates DB.

If it happened 100% of the time, I would suspect it was intentional. But it seems to be random, only happening about 60% of the time.

Anyone else seeing this? If not, what might be causing it?
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm this is also happening to me. From my experience it tends to happen when i kill an NPC in one hit (usually when i am collecting flowers in a low level zone). Also seems to be happening more if i one-shot the NPC(s) with an AOE ability like Eruption. Killing a single NPC with for ex. lava whip does not trigger this delay(or at least less often).
  • DrScott59
    DrScott59
    ✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    I can confirm this is also happening to me. From my experience it tends to happen when i kill an NPC in one hit (usually when i am collecting flowers in a low level zone). Also seems to be happening more if i one-shot the NPC(s) with an AOE ability like Eruption. Killing a single NPC with for ex. lava whip does not trigger this delay(or at least less often).

For me, it is definitely not just when one-shotting lower level NPCs. It is also happening with multi-shot battles, including longer battles with 2-3 giants or mammoths in Wrothgar.

But I wonder if it is related to a specific skill, effect, or type of effect. Most often, I'm using a combination of Shock Clench, Liquid Lightning, and Crystal Shards. Maybe I'll switch off to a sword or something and hit a low-level area, see if it still happens. Perhaps it is related to a particular effect timer, even though the NPCs are dead and the visual for the effect has ended.

Thanks for the response, at least I know someone else is experiencing it!
  • DrScott59
    DrScott59
    ✭✭✭
    [Update]
    I loaded an addon which shows "Combat Start" and "Combat End" events. Looking at that, it seems that the delay I'm seeing is because I am still "in combat".

The delay is random. Sometimes after last kill, I can interact immediately (within 1 second). But at the end of about 50-60% of the battles, there is a delay of about 3-5 seconds and sometimes as long as 10 seconds before "Combat End".

During that delay, I can't interact with anything and cannot mount -- because the game apparently thinks I am still "in combat".

Does everyone have this issue??

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I think this is an "end of combat" cool down before it re-enables interaction with the environment, other than looting the corpses. I am pretty sure it happens to me every time I have to kill a mob to get at some resource node next to them.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • DrScott59
    DrScott59
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I wondered if it was some kind of intentional "cooldown".

But what's odd is that it is so "random". For me, 20-30% of the time there is no delay at all -- combat ends immediately after the last kill (within 1 second). Around 40% of the time, there is a 3-5 second delay. And perhaps 30-40% of the time, the delay is an excruciatingly-long 10 seconds. Arrrghh.

Just seems like it would be more consistent if it were an intentional cooldown.

• Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DrScott59 wrote: »

But what's odd is that it is so "random". For me, 20-30% of the time there is no delay at all -- combat ends immediately after the last kill (within 1 second). Around 40% of the time, there is a 3-5 second delay. And perhaps 30-40% of the time, the delay is an excruciatingly-long 10 seconds. Arrrghh.

Maybe the "cooldown" is the server only triggering end combat event at a set interval. If you happen to end your fight just as the interval is ending, you get out of combat immediately. But if you miss it and end fighting slightly after the server "end combat" event, you have to wait for the next one/the whole cycle to get out of combat.

Another explanation is that the server is busy processing end-combat requests from all the players and if many of them happen at the same time yours will be put into a queue (of variable length).
  • DrScott59
    DrScott59
    ✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    DrScott59 wrote: »

Maybe the "cooldown" is the server only triggering end combat event at a set interval. If you happen to end your fight just as the interval is ending, you get out of combat immediately. But if you miss it and end fighting slightly after the server "end combat" event, you have to wait for the next one/the whole cycle to get out of combat.

Another explanation is that the server is busy processing end-combat requests from all the players and if many of them happen at the same time yours will be put into a queue (of variable length).

Good thoughts, and could be more than one cause. I started a new thread in the "General" section where more people seem to browse, and there's some evidence to suggest it is DamageOverTime effects prolonging "combat mode" beyond the time the Target(s) die Here's the thread:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/3196829#Comment_3196829