Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

NB builds for a beginner

derpymcsquirtle
I've been playing ESO as a Khajiit NB for afew days now but I'm really struggling with what skills to assign/lvl up.ive looked online and found afew builds for stamina NBs but im finding the guides somewhat overwhelming and they also seem like they require a lot of dodging and moving around and my reflexes ain't what they use to be.any advice on how I could build a PvE NB that can dps but take a decent amount of damage.any help would be greatly appreciated
Edited by derpymcsquirtle on June 28, 2016 12:47PM
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just starting out strife from the siphon skill line is your friend. It will cause damage over time (dot) and give you a heal over time (hot)
  • derpymcsquirtle
    Thanks
  • cjhhickman39
    cjhhickman39
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your welcome
  • Curtdogg47
    Curtdogg47
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try to put at least one skill form each of your class skill lines on your weapon bar at first.
  • Van_0S
    Van_0S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use sword and board on your bar 2 or use 2 heavy armor, with this you don't need to dodgeroll a lot but be abit tanky.

Edited by Van_0S on June 28, 2016 10:45PM
  • GCypher87
    GCypher87
    ✭✭✭
    Is this your first character?
    PC: @Cyffr
  • scorpiodog
    scorpiodog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing ESO as a Khajiit NB for afew days now but I'm really struggling with what skills to assign/lvl up.ive looked online and found afew builds for stamina NBs but im finding the guides somewhat overwhelming and they also seem like they require a lot of dodging and moving around and my reflexes ain't what they use to be.any advice on how I could build a PvE NB that can dps but take a decent amount of damage.any help would be greatly appreciated

Most of the things that make Stamina builds great don't kick in until much later levels (like racial passives). So what I do is I start out by putting my traits on Magica and then after about level 25 respect to stamina.

The guides I see are really geared towards people who are already experts or high level (for example caltrops are just not an option for a low level newbie, but they are in every tank guide).

So from level 1-15 slot the first shadow skill, two assaination skills, and two siphone skills. This gets two ultimates unlocked real quick. You will also be developing the skill of whatever weapon you are wielding, so at this point don't slot a weapon skill yet. I usually work on bow, 2-h and dual wield and try to unlock the first two skills in those.

In combat an easy combo for beginners at this level is the 1st- shadow skill (next strike automatic crit) - 2nd - the second assassin skill (gap closer, stuns opponent for 2 sec and =205 on next attack) - then a skill (preferably one that give you health back). Just spam that 1-2-3 and you're golden. When you get an AOE skill, add that to the mix.

Always have healing potion slotted on your quickslot so if you get in trouble just press "Q" to heal (also run towards the healer :-).

At level 15 with weapon swap you get another weapon and 5 more skill slots on your bar. Your objective from level 15-25 is to get your class skills unlocked to the 4th box so you can get skills like reapers mark, siphoning strikes, etc. And also your weapons skills to get some AOE. Finally, you want to get your alliance war skill assault line up to level 5 so you can get vigor - the lifeline of a stam build.It kind of suck to be a lvl 15 in cyrodil, but you really want to unlock vigor when you switch over to stamina.

Sometime between level 25-35 do a complete respect of your skills and traits and then follow the "stamblade" guides from there.
  • derpymcsquirtle
    Thanks for all the advice folks
  • derpymcsquirtle
    GCypher87 wrote: »
    Yes it's my 1st character and also my 1st MMO
  • GCypher87
    GCypher87
    ✭✭✭

Awesome. This is my first big mmo too. What I would recommend is not worrying too much about end game builds right now. But you'll want a skill from each of your classes skill lines on your bar. Thats how you level your skill lines, except for guild or alliance lines, they level differently. Also make sure you are wearing at least one piece of each armor so you can level all those skill lines too. As long as you stay at about the same level as the quests you are doing you shouldnt have too hard of a time getting through. Lastly, after clearing wach zone stay there for a bit longer to level and get all the skyshards. Look at your achievements and once you have (x zone) adventurer and (x zone) skyshard hunter you can safely move to the next zone. Itll save you alot of time at end game collecting skyshards.

Short version:
    1. 1 skill from each class skill line on you bar.
    2. 1 piece of each type of armor
    3. Be the level of the quest, or at least around it
    4. Finish the zone adventurer achievement and skyshard hunter achievement

Tamrielfoundry.com is a good source for skyshard locations if you dont have addons or if you dont play pc. Doing these well get you more prepared for endgame and open you options up. And dont worry because you can always respec your skills and attributes later so nothing is permanent. I hope this helps and have fun
  • derpymcsquirtle
    Brilliant thank you for the help
    I'm wearing Heavy armour at minute (less squishy) but medium helm...but do want to swap to full medium eventually as Khajiit are better with medium armour I think.ive also started lvling all my crafting skills and now have the guys that bring me mats for some of them too as well as lvling my horses carrying capacity.
    I have all skyshards in khenarthis roost but not sure about quests so will have to go for a wonder around
  • GCypher87
    GCypher87
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like youre in the right track. But the medium armor expertise only levels the skill line 15% faster, its still just as good as anyone elses medium armor though. And i forgot to mention that the beginner islands dont have the adventurer achievement.
  • derpymcsquirtle
    Oh...well in that case I may be a heavy armoured NB if the skill only lvls medium up quicker.thought it gave me some sort of bonus
  • BlackSparrow
    BlackSparrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Admittedly, NBs are hard to do without good reflexes. I'm bad at twitch reflexes myself, so I end up strafing in circles around my opponents a lot more than dodging them. That might be a technique that might work for you. XD

Nightblades can be pretty squishy, so if you find yourself struggling, try rolling up a sturdier alt (DK or Templar both work) to help you get a feel for the game system.

I also wouldn't pour all your points into crafting... not until higher levels at least. Concentrate on one or two crafts right now (sounds like Metalworking and Alchemy/Provisioning might be a good choice). I say this only because skill points are precious early in the game, so get your combat skills up first.

Good luck, and welcome to the addictive world of MMOs!
    Edited by BlackSparrow on June 29, 2016 3:34PM
    Living vicariously through my characters.

My Girls:
    "If you were trapped in your house for, say, a year, how would you pass the time?"

Nephikah the Houseless, dunmer assassin: "I suppose I could use the break. I have a lot of business holdings now that need management."
    Swum-Many-Waters, elderly argonian healer: "I think that I would enjoy writing a memoir."
    Silh'ki, khajiit warrior-chef: "Would this one be able to go outside, to the nearby river? It's hard to fish without water!"
    Peregrine Huntress, bosmer hunter: "Who is forcing me to stay inside, and where can I find them?"
    Lorenyawe, altmer mechanist: "And why would I want to go outside in the first place? Too much to be done in the workshop."
    Lorelai Magpie, breton master thief: "I'd go nuts. Lucky for me, I have a little experience sneaking out!"
    Rasheda the Burning Heart, redguard knight: "I would continue my training to keep my skills sharp."
    Hex-Eye Azabi, khajiit daedric priestess: "I suppose it would be lucky, then, that I built a shrine to Mephala in my backyard."
    Yngva Stormhammer, nord bandit (reformed...ish): "I hate being inside even when I'm not forced to be. GET. ME. OUT."
    Madam Argentia, vampire dunmer aristocrat: "I suppose it would be more of the same. I have a rather... contentious relationship with the sun."
    Mazie gra-Bolga, orc scout: "Uh... I'd have to house train my bear..."
    Felicia the Wanderer, imperial witch-for-hire: "What Lorelai said."
    Calico Jaka-dra, retired khajiit pirate: "This one would like a rest from her grand adventures. Her jewel shop runs out of stock!"
    Shimmerbeam, blind altmer psijic: "Provided that I am confined to Artaeum, I do not think I will want for things to occupy my time."
    Shauna Blackfire, redguard necromancer: "Sounds like paradise. I hate people."
    Kirniel the Undying, cursed bosmer warrior: "I would feel useless, not being able to fight."
    Echoes-from-Dragons, argonian who thinks she's a dragon: "All the better to count my hoard!"

(Signature idea shamelessly stolen from Abeille.)
  • GCypher87
    GCypher87
    ✭✭✭
    Yes provisioning is very valuable in this game. It gives you temporary stat increases as well as tons of money in the start. Just make anything you can. Whatever you wont use sell it. Eventually you can multiple what you make per recipe and make more money.
  • scorpiodog
    scorpiodog
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome. This is my first big mmo too. What I would recommend is not worrying too much about end game builds right now. But you'll want a skill from each of your classes skill lines on your bar. Thats how you level your skill lines, except for guild or alliance lines, they level differently. Also make sure you are wearing at least one piece of each armor so you can level all those skill lines too. As long as you stay at about the same level as the quests you are doing you shouldnt have too hard of a time getting through. Lastly, after clearing wach zone stay there for a bit longer to level and get all the skyshards. Look at your achievements and once you have (x zone) adventurer and (x zone) skyshard hunter you can safely move to the next zone. Itll save you alot of time at end game collecting skyshards.

Short version:
    1. 1 skill from each class skill line on you bar.
    2. 1 piece of each type of armor
    3. Be the level of the quest, or at least around it
    4. Finish the zone adventurer achievement and skyshard hunter achievement

Tamrielfoundry.com is a good source for skyshard locations if you dont have addons or if you dont play pc. Doing these well get you more prepared for endgame and open you options up. And dont worry because you can always respec your skills and attributes later so nothing is permanent. I hope this helps and have fun

Oh yeah, I also forgot - in addition to what is above, if you are not that skillfull yet with mouse / keyboard save the skull and crossbones (world bosses) and caves (public dungeon) until you have a buddy (or two or three) to run it with you. I was reminded of this because last night I was doing some content solo and wondering "why is this so darn hard". Then after I finished I realized it was a public dungeon not a delve, lol and I would have spent fewer soul gems if I had teamed up with someone. Palm to forehead.
  • Autolycus
    Autolycus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's very likely that you can become comfortable with either a stamina or a magicka nightblade with practice. For now, it's important to stick to the basics, as most people here have recommended. While I agree wholeheartedly with most of the advice here, there are a couple things I might mention that I didn't see here already:

As you progress, you will eventually want to make use of weapon skills and class skills. For stamina nightblades, weapon skills are more prominent. For magblades, there are really only a couple you need. Regardless, you want to level up your weapon skill line of choice as you play. It's generally helpful for new players to wear 5 pieces of your "preferred" armor type, and then one piece from the other two armor weights, so that you have access to the passives later on. The same goes with weapons; stamblades will want dual wield, 2H, and bow primarily, and magblades will want destro, dual wield, and sometimes resto.

Also be sure to level up your Provisioning and Alchemy. Doing so will greatly improve the duration on your food, drink, and potions, which can prove to be very valuable, even while leveling.

For nightblades specifically, ranged adds are usually a priority. If you go into an encounter by yourself, consider CCing melee adds first, and killing the archers/mages while they are CC'd. Agony and Fear are two very effective means of controlling a fight.

Research traits for your gear, and begin leveling your crafting to make use of the craftable sets later on.

You won't have enough skill points for a couple of zones to be able to fully develop multiple skill lines, but that will come in due time. It's still a good idea to set up a second bar when you unlock weapon-swapping at level 15. Even if you end up putting some of the same skills on both bars, it's good to gain that experience with the weapon early on.