Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are the writs worth it for making gold?

Danvul
Danvul
Or is it better to just sell refined materials?
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yew worth it
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, provided you farm a little. The occasional gold tempers alone pay for the materials.
    Edited by NBrookus on June 19, 2016 2:17AM
  • Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enchanting- Kutas!!!
    Blacksmithing- Tempers!!!
    Provisioning- the occasional ambrosia fragment

The other three are less lucrative, but still worth it.
  • lookstwice
    lookstwice
    ✭✭✭
    I'm actually not putting the last points into my equip crafting trees. I'm keeping them at 8-9 proficiency for the time being. The prices for the items to craft at 10 are just way too expensive. The gold reward is only 664 gold and unless I get a Temper, then I will lose money.

And so far doing daily provisioning on one toon at lvl 50 for maybe a month or so straight, I have only received one ambrosia thing. But provisioning is cheap. Just afraid if those are the same odds for say a max level blacksmith/clothing writ, I will do nothing but lose money.

• Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The costs aren't really any higher. It's less than 50 mats total per writ. 25 Voidstone and 15 Rubedite is all it takes. 2-3 tempers per week alone equals over 2500 coins per day. The level 9 mats cost you nearly a half stack in materials, so you're actually paying less and making more (unless you are pulling lots of nirnhcrux from surveys).
    Edited by Amdar_Godkiller on June 19, 2016 5:17AM
  • lookstwice
    lookstwice
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that. I hadn't considered it would be less mats for the writs. Too afraid to level it up one more. :) But gives me hope, will need to look at my numbers more tomorrow.

I've seen prices for rubedite of around 70-100 per piece (don't quote me on that) and the quicksilver and voidstone for like 6-10. I think when I calculated how many mats I typically user 70-77, my price point is usually around the 7 gold for each max I will pay. At least this way, I could still turn a profit just by turning in the quest. Everything else being a bonus.

But I will say, I think I've been extremely lucky with the nirncrux. I got a potent and a fortified on my very first turn in which resulted in a survey. And since then I've had one more potent and like 2 or 3 fortifieds. And this is all just in the past 2 weeks maybe.

• Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lookstwice wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I hadn't considered it would be less mats for the writs. Too afraid to level it up one more. :) But gives me hope, will need to look at my numbers more tomorrow.

I've seen prices for rubedite of around 70-100 per piece (don't quote me on that) and the quicksilver and voidstone for like 6-10. I think when I calculated how many mats I typically user 70-77, my price point is usually around the 7 gold for each max I will pay. At least this way, I could still turn a profit just by turning in the quest. Everything else being a bonus.

But I will say, I think I've been extremely lucky with the nirncrux. I got a potent and a fortified on my very first turn in which resulted in a survey. And since then I've had one more potent and like 2 or 3 fortifieds. And this is all just in the past 2 weeks maybe.

Yeah. I've respecced to 9 before for that reason, but the Craglorn writs require so many mats for each order, 
    that I run out of voidstone and nightwood in like 2-3 days. 

The way top level writs are set up, you always have more than enough rubedo, rubedite, and ruby ash 
    (which is awesome because stacks sell for so much since CP160 gear requires so many more mats 
    than CP150); as well as shadowhide and voidcloth; and you only have to farm for voidstone 
    and nightwood a few times per month. 
  • Calidus1
    Calidus1
    ✭✭
    Well worth it in my book. I do 24 writs a day (on 5 characters) for 16k, before even counting the rewards--usually at least one gold temper every other day. Most of the rubedo materials are very cheap now (save leather) and I have quite a stockpile. The provisioning and alchemy writs are also highly lucrative. Each of my characters has the necessary stack of three drinks, three food, and four potions. All I need to do is pick up the reward and insta turn-in (especially since crafting bags). It is half a year before I need to craft more again.
    Edited by Calidus1 on June 19, 2016 3:13PM
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    lookstwice wrote: »
    And so far doing daily provisioning on one toon at lvl 50 for maybe a month or so straight, I have only received one ambrosia thing. But provisioning is cheap. Just afraid if those are the same odds for say a max level blacksmith/clothing writ, I will do nothing but lose money.

You also get surveys, which provide materials. And ornate items to sell or inspirational items to sell in guild stores (or decon for mats).
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think it is worth it. I do all writs on 4 characters every day and as well as the gold, I get a couple of gold improvement items every day and harvest loads of raw materials (which also provide gold improvement items when refined) from the survey maps.

Doing writs for delivery to Craglorn can use a lot of level 9-14 materials but the survey maps are the easiest way to get nirncrux if you want them. I have 2 delivering to Craglorn and 2 delivering to Wrothgar.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Eocosa
    Eocosa
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely worth it! Not only counting the gold you get, the items to Decon/sell offset even more of the cost and with the survey maps I found I'm generally about even between what I go through and all the resources I recover.

Admittedly it probably does "cost" some resources, but once you get a gold temper I basically pays for at least the next weeks materials and when you get 2-3 a week you're just netting profit left n right.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yew worth it

Where the heck do i get yew?

I thought it was supposed to be in Reapers March, but apparently that's the land of hickory.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @newtinmpls You should be able to find it in Reapers March, if not Coldharbor.

If you need a 100 stack, let me know, I have a bunch.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    @newtinmpls You should be able to find it in Reapers March, if not Coldharbor.

If you need a 100 stack, let me know, I have a bunch.

That's what I thought: reaper's march - but darnitall, all I'm getting is Hickory. I'll have to try Coldharbor, but I haven't finished the main quest or Craglorn, so I don't know if I can get there.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »

That's what I thought: reaper's march - but darnitall, all I'm getting is Hickory. I'll have to try Coldharbor, but I haven't finished the main quest or Craglorn, so I don't know if I can get there.

@newtinmpls I have traveled to Coldharbor at L5 by porting to a Guild Mate. If you need a port, let me know tonight.

Hint, if you want to open up the Crafting Board up there, just talk to the Groundskeeper, you don't have to take the Tour, but its short activity.

Edited by Nestor on June 22, 2016 10:15PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    @newtinmpls I have traveled to Coldharbor at L5 by porting to a Guild Mate. If you need a port, let me know tonight.

Hint, if you want to open up the Crafting Board up there, just talk to the Groundskeeper, you don't have to take the Tour, but its short activity.

[/quote]

Cool I didn't know you could do that; but that being said, my farmer is one of my v16's and my woodcrafter (the one who needs yew) is a lvl15 or so; if I suddenly can get to Cold harbor will I be required to craft ruby ash? That would be my worry in this scenario.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry bad info
    Edited by SpAEkus on June 23, 2016 3:34AM
  • MuddledMuppet
    MuddledMuppet
    ✭✭✭✭

Cool I didn't know you could do that; but that being said, my farmer is one of my v16's and my woodcrafter (the one who needs yew) is a lvl15 or so; if I suddenly can get to Cold harbor will I be required to craft ruby ash? That would be my worry in this scenario.
    [/quote]

Where you hand in writs, and what materials are used, is set by your crafting lvl not character lvl.

So if you are say 9/10 in woodworking, you need night wood and hand in at craglorn, if 10/10 you need ruby ash and hand in at wrothgar. You will need to have completed main story for those iirc
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a character who is about 12th level, maxed in woodworking (10/10 - so she could learn merc bows), who gets writs that call for Yew and delivers them in Rawl'kla.

I'm guessing once she hits lvl50/vet/CP land, she will have to deliver somewhere else.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭

Where you hand in writs, and what materials are used, is set by your crafting lvl not character lvl.

So if you are say 9/10 in woodworking, you need night wood and hand in at craglorn, if 10/10 you need ruby ash and hand in at wrothgar. You will need to have completed main story for those iirc

Actually you only need to be L50/CP10 apparently for Craglorn. I ran one of my Alt-Crafters thru main story just to level and didn't finish full Main Story and as soon as he hit VR1 (at the time) Craglorn access was granted.

And all the DLC are available as a level 1 Character.

Edited by SpAEkus on June 24, 2016 1:00AM
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have a character who is about 12th level, maxed in woodworking (10/10 - so she could learn merc bows), who gets writs that call for Yew and delivers them in Rawl'kla.

I'm guessing once she hits lvl50/vet/CP land, she will have to deliver somewhere else.

And you have Orsinium DLC? With 10/10 it should be already sending to Orsinium if you have the DLC?

You can already access Orsinium at any level with the DLC so unless they have a second trigger just for the writs in Orsinium? I'll have to check PTS quick and see with one of my Low Level Alts.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

SpAEkus wrote: »
    And you have Orsinium DLC? With 10/10 it should be already sending to Orsinium if you have the DLC?

You can already access Orsinium at any level with the DLC so unless they have a second trigger just for the writs in Orsinium? I'll have to check PTS quick and see with one of my Low Level Alts.

Yup, I sub on both accounts, so she's "always" had access to Orsinium. OTOH, I don't think she has actually been there as an individual, and maybe that's the difference.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What about farming the yew on your V16 in Coldharbour and just passing it to your crafter through storage?
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭

SpAEkus wrote: »

Yup, I sub on both accounts, so she's "always" had access to Orsinium. OTOH, I don't think she has actually been there as an individual, and maybe that's the difference.

Well I just checked on PTS with a L49 Character L50 All crafts and max passives.

Apparently the VR/CP requirement is applied as we know to Craglorn Writs and the Orsinium DLC is just a second switch to move the VR/CP Writs to a different Drop with the DLC access.

So still must be L50/CP Character for:

7/8/9/10 Passive in BS-Cloth-WW
    6/7/8 Passive in Alchemist
    7/8/9/10 Passive in Enchanting
    6 Passive in Provisioning

And 10/10, 8/8, 6 with Orsinium DLC must deliver Orsinium.
    Edited by SpAEkus on June 24, 2016 2:15AM
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ilsabet wrote: »
    What about farming the yew on your V16 in Coldharbour and just passing it to your crafter through storage?

Just started trying that.

Not finding a whole lot of yew, but it's a LOT better than Reaper's March (2 days of wandering - all hickory except for 1 yew)
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yep, Coldharbour is your best bet for yew. There are several nodes that spawn in the Hollow City, so you could run around there and find a lot of alchemy plants along the way as well.

And, if you don't have it already, put at least one point in Keen Eye.
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you’re just looking for some extra income, I find that doing alchemy and provisioning writs are the most worth it because they give you ingredients back so you have to do minimal gathering yourself. The gold reward is based on character level, so doing them on high level characters is more lucrative than doing them on low level ones, regardless of the level of writ you’re doing. A level 50 character doing just these two will get at least 1,000 gold a day. Even doing the low level provisioning writs I sometimes get purple ingredients, though the recipes you get are of course low level then, but you can still sell them for a little something - more in a guild store than to an NPC. The nice thing with these two though is that the ingredients for the higher writs are mostly the same as the lower ones and can be obtained in easy areas (aside from alchemy water) so gathering can go quicker, and you’ll get the higher level reward packs, while on the flipside low level alchemy surveys will still give you useful ingredients for your higher level characters. You can also make up a batch of the potions or food and drink ahead of time and they all stack nicely, whereas it doesn’t really work well to make equipment writ items ahead of time, so with alchemy and provisioning you can spend less time each day.
    Edited by Aelthwyn on June 24, 2016 11:18PM
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like doing writs on Alchemy and prov too, especially since you can craft multiple of food/drinks/potions, which means that the next time those writs are up again you don't have to craft them. Saves me time and mats. Currently on my Alchemy I have not done anything for a couple of weeks now, since I still have extra pots.
    "We're heroes, my boon companion, and heroes always win! Let that be a lesson to you."
    -Caldwell, "The Final Assault"

"There is always a choice. But you don't get to choose what is true, you only get to choose what you will do about it..."

-Abnur Tharn, "God of Schemes"]