Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mudcrab Chitin Drop Rate Bugged?

Soleya
Soleya
✭✭✭✭✭
Killed 51 mudcrabs in Wrothgar and got 0 Chitin.

Killed 25 of them in the Gold Coast and got 4.

Is the drop rate bugged in Wrothgar?

Also compared to other new alchemy materials the drop rate seems WAY lower. 4 out of 25. It seems like Torchbugs and Butterflies are about 1 out of 2/3, and Scrib Jelly is 1 out 3/4 kills.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, the drop rate of the chitin has been abysmal for me. I've killed a couple dozen of them tonight and got just 2. Of all the new alchemical ingredients, this has been by far the hardest to acquire.

Torchbug Thoraxes drop the most, in my personal experience--much more so than Butterfly Wings.

@ZOS_JessicaFolsom could you please look into this? Thanks.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to know it's not just me. I've had horrible time with the RNG in the past
  • Haxnschwammer
    Haxnschwammer
    ✭✭✭✭
    From some of my guild and my experiences drop rate for chitin is like 5%...
    Once I was a healer. Then I took a Wrobel to the knee.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, on my alt in Stonefalls last night I was getting them maybe one in every four kills.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can confirm, droprate across all zones has been ~6%.

Price on guild traders averaging 400g per chitin.

Is this intended? Are mudcrabs really that difficult to remove from their shells?

Because they all have shells. :p
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Phinix1 wrote: »
    Can confirm, droprate across all zones has been ~6%.

Price on guild traders averaging 400g per chitin.

Is this intended? Are mudcrabs really that difficult to remove from their shells?

Because they all have shells. :p

Same with butterflies, they all have wings, yet only about 1/4 to 1/2 you pick yield them.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, first, there are two types of Mudcrabs, a lower health one and a higher health one. The higher health one gives 10 times the Exp as the lower health ones. They are all mixed together and don't respawn in the same places.

You get no Chitin from the Low Health Mudcrabs, just the High Health Mudcrabs. Based on the High Health Mudcrabs, the drop rate is 30% to 50% in my experience. So if your calculating drop rates, take the low health ones out of the equation. It skews the numbers.

Now, should they have a chance to drop from all Mudcrabs? That is a different question.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Phinix1
    Phinix1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    OK, first, there are two types of Mudcrabs, a lower health one and a higher health one. The higher health one gives 10 times the Exp as the lower health ones. They are all mixed together and don't respawn in the same places.

You get no Chitin from the Low Health Mudcrabs, just the High Health Mudcrabs. Based on the High Health Mudcrabs, the drop rate is 30% to 50% in my experience. So if your calculating drop rates, take the low health ones out of the equation. It skews the numbers.

Now, should they have a chance to drop from all Mudcrabs? That is a different question.

I would say YES, being as how Scrib Jelly drops from the passive critter scribs as well as the XP ones.

At a 60%+ drop rate I might add.

Crab drops seem bugged.
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the mudcrabs in Wrothgar have 31k health. There are no lower health ones. I just killed 15 more with 0 chitin.
  • Tobius
    Tobius
    ✭✭✭
    Found out from a guild mate that it is the darker more reddish mubcrab that drops the chitin and is a rare drop at that.
    "Remember: Sometime the Dragon wins."
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

All of the mudcrabs in Wrothgar have 31k health. There are no lower health ones. I just killed 15 more with 0 chitin.

@Slayer9292_ESO

I have seen posts about Wrothgar Mudcrabs not dropping these.

However, in a AD Gold Zone, there is a place where I can run a circuit and they are all high health Mudcrabs and get Chitin from 50% of them. They may have nerfed the spawn rate in this area as last night I noticed they did not seem to spawn as quickly as before. But, I have pulled about 50 Chitins from that area in less than an hour total time over a few evenings. I have noticed this in other places where the crabs accumulate, although in those areas, there is a mix of low Health mudcrabs too.

So, farm for the Chitin anywhere but Wrothgar.

• Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I was just gonna post this thank you!
  • Aemon_Isklexi
    Aemon_Isklexi
    ✭✭✭
    Finding the right mudcrabs to get chitin from is a bit annoying. Especially since the chitin is required to make potions that have both major defense buffs and healing.
    "I do not carry such information in my mind since it is readily available in books. ...The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think." ~Albert Einstein
  • mistermacintosh
    mistermacintosh
    ✭✭✭

@Slayer9292_ESO

I have seen posts about Wrothgar Mudcrabs not dropping these.

However, in a AD Gold Zone, there is a place where I can run a circuit and they are all high health Mudcrabs and get Chitin from 50% of them. They may have nerfed the spawn rate in this area as last night I noticed they did not seem to spawn as quickly as before. But, I have pulled about 50 Chitins from that area in less than an hour total time over a few evenings. I have noticed this in other places where the crabs accumulate, although in those areas, there is a mix of low Health mudcrabs too.

So, farm for the Chitin anywhere but Wrothgar.

I'm not going to reveal my farming location, but hint-hint it isn't any of the DLC areas. Hope that helps.

Even in areas where it drops better, it still isn't as plentiful as torchbug thorax's. This might be intended based on usefulness of reagents, though I haven't really crafted with them past snagging the Toxicologist achievement on one character (my Argonian alchemist, of course).
    Legalize Nirnroot!

Mac User, NA Server (CP810+, PVE focused):
    Magicka Templar Ra the Everlasting (Level 50 - Main Character)
    Stamina Sorcerer Khazaka-ri (Level 50 - Crafter)
    Dragonknight Tank Skalda Flamewreath (Level 50)
    Pet Sorcerer Hellias Ocume (Level 50)
    Magicka Necromancer Socelon (Level 4)

Templar Healer Mends-Through-Panic (Level 50)
    Stamina Nightblade Adanna-daro (Level 50)
    Stamina Warden Marely Sprigs (Level 50)
    Stamina Dragonknight Ursula Trollcalmer (Level 50)
    Stamina Necromancer Daengeval (Level 4)

Stamina Templar Cornellus Graves (Level 50)
    Warden Healer Pays-For-Luxury (Level 50)
    Magicka Sorcerer Sophia Flash (Level 50)
    Magicka Dragonknight Cinvalo Aloavel (Level 50)
    Magicka Nightblade Esmerelda the Cruel (Level 50)
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did a farm run last night in one of my early alliance zones (Not a VR zone for me) and i was getting a lot of drops from both the low health and the high health mudcrabs.

I'd say about 25% drop rate. Got me a nice stack of Chitin ...
    w00t.gif
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    I did a farm run last night in one of my early alliance zones (Not a VR zone for me) and i was getting a lot of drops from both the low health and the high health mudcrabs.

I'd say about 25% drop rate. Got me a nice stack of Chitin ...

@SirAndy Were the low health ones mixed in with the high health ones? That is the only time I have gotten a Chitin with low health crabs around is when a high health one is also killed in the group. Then again, perhaps the Leveling Mudcrabs are not stratified with regards to dropping chitin. But the CP Ranked ones certainly are.

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @SirAndy Were the low health ones mixed in with the high health ones? That is the only time I have gotten a Chitin with low health crabs around is when a high health one is also killed in the group. Then again, perhaps the Leveling Mudcrabs are not stratified with regards to dropping chitin. But the CP Ranked ones certainly are.
    @Nestor

Yes, in my farming spot, there are 10 groups of 2 mudcrabs, one low health, one high health per group. The place is great for farming since they respawn fast enough to just run a continuous loop.

Anyways, about every 5th drop of Chitin yielded 2x from a group.
    :smile:
    Edited by SirAndy on June 15, 2016 7:47PM
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Look at the gold zones. Find the longest coast line. Run it.

Malabal Tor is quite productive.
  • shadowwraith666
    shadowwraith666
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been able to get scrib and torchbug ingredients consistently, others in low rates except mudcrab chitin, ive killed countless mudcrabs and still nothing but hide/rawhide.

scrib jelly - droprate is pretty high in ebonheart regions

torchbug - just as high, but more accessible as their in most regions

nightshade - spawnrate is pretty low

beetle scuttle - reasonable droprate in ebonheart volcanic areas

butterfly wing - low drop rate

mudcrab chitin - droprate seems non-existant so far apart from a few drops in shadowfen
    • Vicktor Bloodtail - L42 Argonian Magblade, Werewolf - EP
    • Xarxes - L31 Dunmer Sorc, Vampire - EP
    • Lichtspear - L21 Argonian Temp - EP
    • Rajka Fireclaw - L21 Khajit DK - AD

PS4 EU
    Spill some blood for me dear brother
    Vicente Valtiere, Dark Brotherhood, Oblivion
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I have a zone and spot where the crabs are plentiful, respawn insanely fast, and the drop rate is very good. I spent an evening there and walked away with around 800 raw leatherworking mats and a little over 200 Chitin. There were other useful things to find there as well, including spider eyes, and a lot of flowers.
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Grahtwood, between Haven and Eastern end of the zone.