The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Maelstrom Weapons Obsolete?

MrTarkanian48
MrTarkanian48
✭✭✭✭
With the buffs to weapon enchants are some Maelstrom Weapons no longer BiS?

The 2H that I worked hard to get has an additional 189 WD and a somewhat underwhelming DoT after using Crit Rush (which I have abandoned for Ambush due to poor reliability).

Now with the buff to damage enchants it appears you can maintain a 348 WD buff with a very short 1 second cool down.

Obviously some of the weapons will still be relevant like Bow or Daggers in certain applications. But will a crafted sharpened 2H (or Destro) with Damage enchant now be better than the Maelstrom options?

Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
Altmer NB (DPS)
Imperial DK (Tank)
Redguard DK (DPS)
Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have been thinking about it myself.
    Agree with you, some of the maelstrom weapons cant be ignored, like the daggers.
    But 1k more dmg with light attacks... I think I can handle to lose that.
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • luxfreak
    luxfreak
    ✭✭✭
    For PVE and 2h, yes, certainly.
    For PVE and Staff: nah, not realy. But much closer
    For PVP and 2h: probably depends on your build, on how much you use charge.
    For PVP and Staff, yes, certainly
    Tank/DD with Hof HM clear
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you use poisons you want to use them on maelstrom weapons as they keep their weapon/spell damage buff.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do they keep doing this?

I'm on console, so by the time my first character hit V16, Master Weapons were already obsolete so I didn't even bother.

Then Orsinium drops in November 2015, and Maelstrom weapons are behind a serious grind wall. You spend all this time coming up with the optimal build with the sole purpose of obtaining this gear. Not to mention getting frustrated, spending hours on end dying hundreds of times learning the mechanics and dealing with the lag.

Now that I have it down I can complete it much more easily, however, I still don't have all the ones I need to complete my builds due to RNG (Still need sharpened destro and sharpened dagger). I still spend several hours a week doing this arena which isn't enjoyable anymore have dozens of runs.

Now 6 months later they decide to double the damage on craft-able enchants...

Why not double the enchant on Maelstrom weapons to keep them relevant?

I still have many friends in game that can't complete this content. It was a sense of accomplishment to finally complete it and get rewarded for it. But now I'll probably end up spending 8 gold mats to craft a Night Mother's Mace that has 159 more WD 83% of the time vs. the Maelstrom 2H
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wollust wrote: »
    If you use poisons you want to use them on maelstrom weapons as they keep their weapon/spell damage buff.

Poisons appear underwhelming IMO when compared to these enchants. 100 % proc chance for 5 seconds up time with additional 348 WD (even more with buffs active) with a 1 second cool down. Poisons are a 20% proc chance with longer cool downs, not to mention resource intensive with having to farm and buy the mats. All you need is a soul gem to keep your enchants running.
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • Elevenstorm
    Elevenstorm
    ✭✭✭
    I was unaware that the cooldown for the WD/SD enchant was 1 second. I was under the impression that it was 10 seconds. Source?
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

The 2H that I worked hard to get has an additional 189 WD and a somewhat underwhelming DoT after using Crit Rush (which I have abandoned for Ambush due to poor reliability).

Now with the buff to damage enchants it appears you can maintain a 348 WD buff with a very short 1 second cool down.

Obviously some of the weapons will still be relevant like Bow or Daggers in certain applications. But will a crafted sharpened 2H (or Destro) with Damage enchant now be better than the Maelstrom options?

I am pretty sure the weapon/spell damage enchant lasts 5 seconds and has a 10 second cooldown. Whether that is 10 seconds after the last enchant ended (full 10 second cooldown) or 10 seconds after last enchant activated (effectively a 5 second cooldown), I am not sure. But it is more than 1 second. Unless you are running Infused trait + 5 Torug's set bonus or something.

And, of course, you can add a poison and keep the 189 weapon/spell damage buff. Poison only deactivates active part of enchant (the DoT after Crit Rush, the buff to Volley, the buff to light/heavy attacks in Wall of Elements, etc.), not the passive part of enchant (the weapon damage buff). Maelstrom weapon + poison is likely to be better than 348 weapon/spell damage that is not up 100% of time + no poison.
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was unaware that the cooldown for the WD/SD enchant was 1 second. I was under the impression that it was 10 seconds. Source?
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

I am pretty sure the weapon/spell damage enchant lasts 5 seconds and has a 10 second cooldown. Whether that is 10 seconds after the last enchant ended (full 10 second cooldown) or 10 seconds after last enchant activated (effectively a 5 second cooldown), I am not sure. But it is more than 1 second. Unless you are running Infused trait + 5 Torug's set bonus or something.

And, of course, you can add a poison and keep the 189 weapon/spell damage buff. Poison only deactivates active part of enchant (the DoT after Crit Rush, the buff to Volley, the buff to light/heavy attacks in Wall of Elements, etc.), not the passive part of enchant (the weapon damage buff). Maelstrom weapon + poison is likely to be better than 348 weapon/spell damage that is not up 100% of time + no poison.

@Gilliamtherogue released a video on them here. The guy knows what he's talking about.

The video starts off on details regarding poison, and begins talking about enchants around 4:30.
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • Elevenstorm
    Elevenstorm
    ✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

@Gilliamtherogue released a video on them here. The guy knows what he's talking about.

The video starts off on details regarding poison, and begins talking about enchants around 4:30.

He essentially says there's a 6 sec ICD.
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, all enchants have a base ICD of 6 seconds, which begins after they apply, meaning they have a minimum of a 1 second cool down, assuming you have no cooldown augmenting buffs (infused mainly).

As for the thread's question, Maelstrom 2h's will see a rather large loss in efficiency compared to a crafter 2h with a stronger enchant on it, although the DoT damage on Crit Rush will still have its advantages in PvP.

Maelstrom Destruction Staves, 1h weapons, and bows remain BiS.
    Restoration Staves have dropped in favor as many healers should be runnning the Minor Vulnerability poison for more group damage.
    Maelstrom tank weapons have dropped in favor (weren't even that great to begin with) by the buffed Crusher enchant.
    Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
  • dagonbeer
    dagonbeer
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, all enchants have a base ICD of 6 seconds, which begins after they apply, meaning they have a minimum of a 1 second cool down, assuming you have no cooldown augmenting buffs (infused mainly).

Hmm, it was my understanding that damage enchants (ie. flame, poison) has a cooldown of 4 seconds, while the weapon damage enchants has a 10 second cooldown (6 with infused trait.)

Is this out of date?
  • Justice31st
    Justice31st
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good, I hope the Malestrom weapons all become obsolete. This is an MMO, not a single player game.
    "The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dagonbeer wrote: »

Hmm, it was my understanding that damage enchants (ie. flame, poison) has a cooldown of 4 seconds, while the weapon damage enchants has a 10 second cooldown (6 with infused trait.)

Is this out of date?

It's not because it's out of date, rather it was never true to begin with. All enchants have the same ICD, regardless of what they do. Simply going in game and hitting an enemy you can count the ICD before the next application may be, which is 8* seconds. Granted that you may not proc it every 8 seconds, as human error plays a big part in timing and capability; but it will proc much sooner than 10 seconds before the initial weapon damage applies.

I was incorrect in 6 seconds, this was back when the Two Handed skill line had a passive that reduced the cool down of enchants by 30% and rounded down fractions, so it made all ICD's 6s, even if you weren't actively using a 2h weapon. I went back in game and double checked everything, and it is indeed 8 seconds before it may reproc, after proccing.
    Edited by Gilliamtherogue on June 7, 2016 3:57PM
    Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good, I hope the Malestrom weapons all become obsolete. This is an MMO, not a single player game.

I hope crafted weapons all become obsolete. This is an MMO, not a single player game.

:trollface:
  • GreenSoup2HoT
    GreenSoup2HoT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think if your a nightblade specifically, you do not need maelstrom weapons unless you plan on using 1 of these ability's: crit rush, volley and flurry. If you do not, you don't need the maelstrom weapons. Since nightblades have their own gap closer and instant cast dps ability its not really necessary.

I personally like when players use the Maelstrom 2h. Go ahead, apply that DoT onto me, it's just what my Fasalla's Guille set want's.
    Edited by GreenSoup2HoT on June 7, 2016 5:24PM
    PS4 NA DC
  • Justice31st
    Justice31st
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope crafted weapons all become obsolete. This is an MMO, not a single player game.

:trollface:

Then, It sounds like you haven't played many MMO's.
    "The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you."
  • MrTarkanian48
    MrTarkanian48
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think if your a nightblade specifically, you do not need maelstrom weapons unless you plan on using 1 of these ability's: crit rush, volley and flurry. If you do not, you don't need the maelstrom weapons. Since nightblades have their own gap closer and instant cast dps ability its not really necessary.

I personally like when players use the Maelstrom 2h. Go ahead, apply that DoT onto me, it's just what my Fasalla's Guille set want's.

I'd venture to say that most people do not really care about the enchantment effect of the 2H. The DoT is negligible at best, and crit rush always bugs out. If I slot a gap closer, I opt for Ambush. However, the 189 WD is the draw to me. My build basically results in one extra slot which the Maelstrom Weapon fits in perfectly.

Its just kind of annoying that the item you work hard to earn may now be obsolete to a crafted WD glyph.

In regards to WD glyphs, does the Weapon Damage get applied to the initial attack which procs it? Or does it only get applied to the following attacks after the initial hit?
    Wood Elf Stam NB (PVP)
    Redguard Stam Sorc (PVP)
    Altmer NB (DPS)
    Imperial DK (Tank)
    Redguard DK (DPS)
    Altmer Templar (Healer)

EP - PS4
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Salt.
    Edited by timidobserver on June 7, 2016 5:59PM
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Justice31st
    Justice31st
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Salt.

Not salt when it is truth.
  • Silver_Strider
    Silver_Strider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Maelstrom weapons will eventually become obsolete, either when they upscale vDSA and 1st tier "Master" weapons or they create a 12 main Arena with 3rd tier "Master" weapons.
    Argonian forever
  • Justice31st
    Justice31st
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maelstrom weapons will eventually become obsolete, either when they upscale vDSA and 1st tier "Master" weapons or they create a 12 main Arena with 3rd tier "Master" weapons.

That would be great to bring back group content to obtain end game weapons in an MMO. They also need to finally make that content group finder accessible.