Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Blazing Shield Templar Tank Guide (TG Patch)

• Gottbeard
    Gottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    I love this build.

I hue pretty close to what Gottbeard outlines here.

My only real change was when I got to Undaunted 9, I swapped in blue health/stam food for straight health.

Now I have 16k stam, 11k mag and 54k health.

Originally constructed, I was struggling with the stam pool for blocking and such. Basically, I wasn't consistent with my heavy attacks. I fully note that this is a me problem and not a negative of the build. In the end, I prefer to light attack constantly to generate ult for warhorning or Nova.

Have zero magicka pool problems.

Only minor problem I have with build is lack of range- no staff. In cases where some range is helpful I utilize Vamp Bane and/or RD.

No toon I roll with has engendered as many queries as this one. It's a really fun odd duck.

If these are the stats that work for you then try my build again but with all Tristat enchants. And kept the health magicka regeneration food. Should be similar to what you like but a little stronger. Or stick with what's working for you all depends on your pocket book.
  • Snape2255
    Snape2255
    ✭✭✭
    Gottbeard wrote: »
    Yes sure man. I can help with that. From your video I was noticing that you protect your full health bar from damage and then try to recover once it dips. Your health bar is a useful tool. Don't be afraid to bait with it. At 50 percent life you are at Normal tank Hp. This becomes extremely important when you get invigorating drain, a missing health based heal. Extended ritual will help a little too. For more results from absorb magick don't spam it. Weave heavy into blaze into heavy into absorb rinse repeat in your stall phase. Use aggression to break enemies offense when you predict you will need a respite. Example, let a shield get eaten a little bit then Shield charge and manually blow it up to side swipe a group and make them wiggle away. These kinds of bluffs will buy time for stat recoup.

Cheers for the advice, I'll definitely practice this! I suppose I need to practice weaving more, and it'll be easier when I complete the build.

My main issue comes when I'm getting ganked by people spamming Wrecking Blow. Bane of my life. What's your experience against CC spammers?
    The name is Snape. Full time Banana fighting for his Queen and Country. Favourite hobby; killing the cowardly Covenant and Pact infidels threat.

Predominantly PVP based player running various characters. Mostly Magicka Templar, Magicka Sorcerer and Stamina Templar.

Proud Right-Hand Man of The Saints Knights and Sergeant-At-Arms of The Yellow Army.
  • Gottbeard
    Gottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    Snape2255 wrote: »
    Gottbeard wrote: »
    Yes sure man. I can help with that. From your video I was noticing that you protect your full health bar from damage and then try to recover once it dips. Your health bar is a useful tool. Don't be afraid to bait with it. At 50 percent life you are at Normal tank Hp. This becomes extremely important when you get invigorating drain, a missing health based heal. Extended ritual will help a little too. For more results from absorb magick don't spam it. Weave heavy into blaze into heavy into absorb rinse repeat in your stall phase. Use aggression to break enemies offense when you predict you will need a respite. Example, let a shield get eaten a little bit then Shield charge and manually blow it up to side swipe a group and make them wiggle away. These kinds of bluffs will buy time for stat recoup.

Cheers for the advice, I'll definitely practice this! I suppose I need to practice weaving more, and it'll be easier when I complete the build.

My main issue comes when I'm getting ganked by people spamming Wrecking Blow. Bane of my life. What's your experience against CC spammers?

I generally just manage my stamina well. I always save enough stamina to break. Know what that % is for you. After I cc break I use the 6 seconds to return to good Stam with heavy atks while I'm immune to cc. And sometimes I skip cc breaking if the situation is not dire. But if the game gets buggy there isn't much you can do.
  • Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    Wrecking_Blow_Spam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mainly pvp on blazing tank but I have a question regarding gold pledges.

So not sure if you use your tank in gold pledges but I'm aiming for undaunted 9... Anyway- banished cells, leave 3 deadroths? How do u do this especially in pugs? Can't taunt deadroths as you'll kill them if shielding, could taunt boss and hope they attack others - hard in pugs tho. I tried using bone shield, was ok.
    Also CoHearts - leave 4 wraiths. Do you have any special advice for these dungeons or just hope team is half competent and can survive.

I know this build is mainly pvp, I'm using pugs in activity finder to level up undaunted.
    Xbox one EU
    8 Flawless conquerors on all class specs (4 stam, 4 magicka)
    Doesn't stand in red
  • DarkDeller
    Looking to delete my stam sorce to make this build. But 2 questions. While lvling, what cradter sets to use and what race? Btw i can only cradt 6-7 traits
  • DarkDeller
    Looking to delete my stam sorce to make this build. But 2 questions. While lvling, what cradter sets to use and what race? Btw i can only cradt 6-7 traits
  • Gottbeard
    Gottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    EquinoxS wrote: »
    I mainly pvp on blazing tank but I have a question regarding gold pledges.

So not sure if you use your tank in gold pledges but I'm aiming for undaunted 9... Anyway- banished cells, leave 3 deadroths? How do u do this especially in pugs? Can't taunt deadroths as you'll kill them if shielding, could taunt boss and hope they attack others - hard in pugs tho. I tried using bone shield, was ok.
    Also CoHearts - leave 4 wraiths. Do you have any special advice for these dungeons or just hope team is half competent and can survive.

I know this build is mainly pvp, I'm using pugs in activity finder to level up undaunted.

It is obviously easier if the group is willing to work with you to solve a unique problem. For banish cells I eat the projectiles by casting absorb magick after a heavy atk, it has been a Long time since I ran banished cells so I hope his atks are still absorbable. For COH I kite using extended ritual to remove snares. Another example of side ways thinking, in white gold tower, you lack the damage to do portals. Our solution was to just have me take all the pinions, lol.

Point is, if a fight is tricky with your kit, you can usually work something out.
  • Gottbeard
    Gottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    DarkDeller wrote: »

The race is imperial. Until you are leveled the sets don't really matter a great deal. You don't even have to lvl on a blazing Shield Hp spec, just make sure to morph the skills you will need as you go.
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing this build in PvP, I have managed to get one bar to 57k health, then swap to my DW bar and achieve 3300 spell power and 53k health. XD. Now I can actually duel and people can't just ignore me.
  • Gottbeard
    Gottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    Baconlad wrote: »
    Doing this build in PvP, I have managed to get one bar to 57k health, then swap to my DW bar and achieve 3300 spell power and 53k health. XD. Now I can actually duel and people can't just ignore me.

You can definitely do that. Boil the Hp down to the smallest big number you can live with in exchange for bigger offense. Especially using gimmick sets like clever alchemist. I encourage personal tinkering. I am your diving board, go swimming.

On a side note, if you are being ignored as a tank it is your fault. Good tanks can not be ignored. There is always something you can do to change people's mind about about their target selection And /or something you can do to punish them for ignoring you.
  • AGrz5585
    AGrz5585
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking of running this build on my imperial Templar.

Going to using 5 black rose, 1 kena, 3 clever alchemist, and then 3 willpower.

Just with number crunching I think I'll be between 56k health or more and still have decent magicka and spell damage

With the change to Constitution, I might run another mundus instead of the atronach
  • Baconlad
    Baconlad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So got beard, as a max/max health templar...how do YOU not get ignored? Especially being that your blazing shield punishes for hitting you, how do you punish them for NOT hitting you? I've tried a few tactics, non of which seem to work very effectively. I have tried ritual of rebirth on my off bar, but it just doesn't work very well at getting player agro back. I've tried being a Stun machine but once again. Ignored. Templar do not have anything like talons, maybe swap to a bow back bar a bombard spam? There's really not much I don't think. I have found however that its insanly fun jumping into full enemy raids, spamming BS and staying alive...but not much I can do to ensure player agro
  • Gottbeard
    Gottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    So got beard, as a max/max health templar...how do YOU not get ignored? Especially being that your blazing shield punishes for hitting you, how do you punish them for NOT hitting you? I've tried a few tactics, non of which seem to work very effectively. I have tried ritual of rebirth on my off bar, but it just doesn't work very well at getting player agro back. I've tried being a Stun machine but once again. Ignored. Templar do not have anything like talons, maybe swap to a bow back bar a bombard spam? There's really not much I don't think. I have found however that its insanly fun jumping into full enemy raids, spamming BS and staying alive...but not much I can do to ensure player agro

I draw agro a lot of ways. Pushing "too deep" and then walking back to good positioning once I have their attention. Point blank raises or siege drops. I also watch kill comboes and interrupt them at crucial moments. I peel for allies with well timed cc and Los peel. I run the new guard skill to cover the ally that has focus and then let the funneled dmg continue to blow up blazing shields. I cast Jesus beam point blank even though it doesn't do much dmg for me they don't have time to suss that out. This draws bashes and dmg my way. Be efficient and stay busy, you will more than do your part.
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If you have the guard skill use it on a alliance player who is taking damage.
    Because I can!
  • Snape2255
    Snape2255
    ✭✭✭
    I can imagine that the "Guard" skill shines on this setup. Particularly if you're running a small group (let's say 2-man group), you could keep Guard up on the other player all the time and just leech in all that damage, dishing out equal amounts on a regular basis.

Definitely will be considering popping that on the bar!
    The name is Snape. Full time Banana fighting for his Queen and Country. Favourite hobby; killing the cowardly Covenant and Pact infidels threat.

Predominantly PVP based player running various characters. Mostly Magicka Templar, Magicka Sorcerer and Stamina Templar.

Proud Right-Hand Man of The Saints Knights and Sergeant-At-Arms of The Yellow Army.
  • DarkDeller
    As i havent got alot of those sets, what crafted set gear would work?
  • Snape2255
    Snape2255
    ✭✭✭
    "Death's Wind" - 2 Traits required, gives every bonus that Fasalla's gives except for a different 5 piece. It's a decent substitute until you get Fasalla's.

• DarkDeller
    Ive gonna with 5 deaths wind, 4 clever alchamist and 3 piece fasallas jewelery.
  • JAMESLJNR
    JAMESLJNR
    ✭✭
    Yeah guard is very fun, have to double bar it though.
  • NoMaassPliz
    NoMaassPliz
    ✭✭
    @gottbeard, Have you thought about playing around with imperium or harbinger in this build?
    Edited by NoMaassPliz on July 8, 2016 5:24PM
  • Gottbeard
    Gottbeard
    ✭✭✭
    @gottbeard, Have you thought about playing around with imperium or harbinger in this build?

I dont like imperium personally. It wont proc into dmg your shield takes it only procs when you take real dmg and its kind of a small proc rate. Harbinger is good for a build where you stay high health often not to sure about a sun shield build. I suppose it would be good when its good and bad when its bad. But the nature of creating a strong HP core is the freedom to adjust new sets in and try new things. As I say in the video pretty much any set works as long as you maintain your 5 heavy 1 light 1 medium.