Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I need some advice with crafting (professions)

itehache
itehache
✭✭✭✭
Hi all!!

First of all, sorry if this has been asked before, I checked the first few pages in this forum and I could not find the same question.

I started playing around 2 weeks ago but I decided to start leveling my professions already, since I can benefit from them also at low levels, which is cool.

I read a guide online and it said that it is better to choose 2 professions and max them, using also all skill points, rather than getting all professions to 50 and not having any skill point to use.
The thing is that, (I think) I have enough skill points to have more than 2 professions. I am currently at level 33 and I have 6 unused skill points atm, which I don't really need right now. I still have many, many skyshards to discover, and many, many quests to do, so, my question is, is it good to level more professions? Should I just keep the skill points? I'm lost and I could really use your help.

I'm currently leveling provisioning and alchemy because I think they are really useful, but I would love to get into woodworking and make my own bows :smiley: Also, enchantment looks cool.

What are your thoughts? How many professions you guys have leveled (with your main)? Which are the "best" ones in your opinion? Not only in the profit you can get from them (gold) but also how useful they have been for you.

I appreciate all your help, and sorry about grammar mistakes, english is not my first language.
  • JuZ
    JuZ
    ✭✭
    Your grammar is excellent.

I would say stick to the 2 you're already levelling but go carefully with the skill points, for example with provisioning it is good to put points into getting more portions out each time you a cook but not much point in having the ability to craft vet 16 food until you are at that level.

I have 4 crafting characters, my main does woodworking and clothing, my 2nd does blacksmithing and my 4th is my provisioner, my 3rd is learning enchanting but is still in the very early stages.
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always level all crafts on all my alts on the assumption that you never know when you might want to use them, although I don't necessarily spend any skill points in some or all of the crafting trees depending on the character. Also Alchemy has a couple of nice passives that are good for all characters, even if they don't spend any other skill points there.
  • barrrt
    barrrt
    ✭✭✭
    I level all professions on all my toons. Here are some things to know.

Blacksmithing, Clothing, Woodworking

- you want these three on the same toon because as you learn motifs, they apply to all three professions but only on that toon (not account wide). Later in the game you will encounter many motifs that are rare (i.e. require a lot of grinding) or very expensive. It’s better to need only one toon having to learn them.

- you do not actually have to spend a single skill point to level these. As you adventure and find gear, sell white and Ornate gear to get gold, but deconstruct blue or higher (and Intricate)

- but of course you will need to spend skill points if you want to craft, or to speed up trait research

- you do not want to change which of your toons does these professions later on (or at least not too late in the game). Part of these professions’ mechanic is research of traits and it takes long, long time to research everything

- unless you are setting up a dedicated crafter, you do not want to do any profession in addition to these three on a single toon, as you will start running out of skill points. It is possible to spend skill points on all 6 at the end game, but at a cost of less build flexibility

My recommendation would be to set up an alt - not necessarily a crafting alt, but think of a character you’d like to play next, and have them level up these three professions by deconstructing what you find on your main. Once in a while, if you need to spend some skill points to be able to to craft higher level gear, just do a few quests in the main/guild quest chain and/or find some skyshards.

Provisioning

Provisioning can be leveled in about 50 minutes if you have ingredients and know appropriate recipes (you would need to spend skill points to do it this quickly). So it theory it is easy to switch on which toon you do provisioning. But, like learning motifs on your Blacksmith/Clothier/Woodworker, you need to learn recipes, which are per toon and not per account. So, it general, although not as painful to change like the previous 3 professions, you want to continue provisioning on the same toon.

Alchemy

Alchemy, like provisioning can be leveled in 50 minutes as long as you have ingredients and skill points to spend. There are no motifs, no recipes, etc to learn, so alchemy is very easy to switch to another toon in the future.

Enchanting

Enchanting takes a loooooooooong time to level. Really long time. That’s all you need to know :-)

For Provisioning / Alchemy / Enchanting - go ahead and keep leveling these on your main. Later in the game, once/if you have a 3rd toon, level up Alchemy on them to free up some skill points on your main. This way you will end up with professions nicely spread around.

By the way - my main is clothier/woodworker/blacksmith, my second is enchanter and alchemist, and my third is provisioner. I started the game on day one, but if I knew then what I know now, I’d do what I had written. Enjoy the game!
    EP: Veren Sailenar - 50 DK : Isabeau Sette Tyne - 50 Sorc : This-One-Lizard-Yes - 50 Templar : Lililia Adal - 50 NB : Solea Caro - 50 DK : Igor with Vigor - 50 Sorc : Slightly-Delays-Death - 50 Templar : Balki Barthel - 50 Warden : Willowshade Roxie - 50 Warden : Violetha Adal - 50 Templar : Andriel Greenarrow - 50 NB: Fleshy Leon - 50 Necro: Bonita Lacrimosa - 50 Nacro
    AD: Kael Spellbinder - 50 Templar
    DC: Sharrku gra-Dusku - 50 NB
  • itehache
    itehache
    ✭✭✭✭
    @JuZ Thanks! You have a good point. I did not think about the fact that I am spending skill points in provisioning by getting pasives I can't really use yet, I'll keep an eye on that.
    Also, I'm not really a fan of having alts, this is why I kinda want to level at least another profession because I probably won't play any alt (or the new alt will become my main, I always stick with 1 character :tongue:

@Elephant42 Good to know that I'm not the only one that wants to max all the professions in 1 char haha I really love provisioning and alchemy but I also want to make my bow :P I guess I can do what you do, just level them all up, like I do in wow :tongue: I was just afraid to spend unnecesary skill points on, let's say, enchanting, and then not even use it.

@barrrt You sir are a hero. This is exactly what I needed, sharing you experience!! I can read many guides but your post was just awesome.
    I don't understand why do you recommend me to set up an alt to learn blacksmithing, clothing and woodworking. Can't I just do it on my main? I know I would need the skill points to craft stuff, but I don't think I would use light nor heavy armor. Of course I could always craft stuff and sell it, but I am planning on getting my money through my food and potions :sweat_smile: haha!!!
    I actually had to read a guide in spanish to understand what was the deal with enchanting xD I just did not get it (and I still have my doubts). But yeah, I have not seen many runes around (and I loot them all) and just to think about combining them gives me a headache haha I guess I'll just buy/loot glyphs for now :tongue: but yeah, like you said, it is good to have an enchanter so I will level it up too.

Thank you all very much for your help!! Take care!!
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    itehache wrote: »
    -snip-@Elephant42 Good to know that I'm not the only one that wants to max all the professions in 1 char haha I really love provisioning and alchemy but I also want to make my bow :P I guess I can do what you do, just level them all up, like I do in wow :tongue: I was just afraid to spend unnecesary skill points on, let's say, enchanting, and then not even use it.
    -snip-

You can level ALL the crafts to max without spending a single skill point. Alchemy and provisioning will take quite a bit longer if you don't use any points but you can still get them to max.
  • Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    -snip-@Elephant42 Good to know that I'm not the only one that wants to max all the professions in 1 char haha I really love provisioning and alchemy but I also want to make my bow :P I guess I can do what you do, just level them all up, like I do in wow :tongue: I was just afraid to spend unnecesary skill points on, let's say, enchanting, and then not even use it.
    -snip-

You can level ALL the crafts to max without spending a single skill point. Alchemy and provisioning will take quite a bit longer if you don't use any points but you can still get them to max. Also trait research will go much faster if you spend a few points in the appropriate passives. Note that you can level a craft to max without doing any research should you choose to do so.

• sunskater
    sunskater
    Hi all!!

First of all, sorry if this has been asked before, I checked the first few pages in this forum and I could not find the same question.

I started playing around 2 weeks ago but I decided to start leveling my professions already, since I can benefit from them also at low levels, which is cool.

I read a guide online and it said that it is better to choose 2 professions and max them, using also all skill points, rather than getting all professions to 50 and not having any skill point to use.
    The thing is that, (I think) I have enough skill points to have more than 2 professions. I am currently at level 33 and I have 6 unused skill points atm, which I don't really need right now. I still have many, many skyshards to discover, and many, many quests to do, so, my question is, is it good to level more professions? Should I just keep the skill points? I'm lost and I could really use your help.

I'm currently leveling provisioning and alchemy because I think they are really useful, but I would love to get into woodworking and make my own bows :smiley: Also, enchantment looks cool.

What are your thoughts? How many professions you guys have leveled (with your main)? Which are the "best" ones in your opinion? Not only in the profit you can get from them (gold) but also how useful they have been for you.

I appreciate all your help, and sorry about grammar mistakes, english is not my first language.

First, your English is excellent.

Second, you might get a larger response in the crafting forum.

I found that levelling a smithy (woodworking, blacksmithing and tailoring) worked far better for me. It allowed me to start early with trait research, deconstruct gear I found for valuable mats, avoid acquiring rare or expensive motifs for several characters, and craft all my own gear to boot. When I tried it the other way, I spent too much time doing this sell/deconstruct/research housekeeping with several toons. But that is just personal preference. At v3 level, I am maxed out in two crafts (except research passives...don't need them), and a solid 7-trait vet blacksmith as well. But, I get every skill point I can and don't need to worry about levelling a bunch of lines. I only use a few niche skills beyond my basic build. It gets worse. I believe trying to get more than 3 crafts levelled before vet16 would be disheartening.

Along these lines, you could add enchanting to your build without real problems, but don't try to level these crafts too quickly. You will need your points. Class skills, weapon and armor skills, guild and racial skills, not to mention pvp...it adds up fast. And I assume you're not power levelling a skill line by loading it on your bar. You will need all your points.

The good news is you can do writs from all 3 consumables crafts very conveniently for about 450g apiece at your level, regardless of crafting level (cheap mats). At the very least, you can make some gold.
    Valan'yi (AD): CP160+ Bosmer stamblade ranger.
    Ayannis (DC): CP160+ Breton magplar healer.
    Sarsthor (EP): Lv7 Nord dragonknight tank...someday...

Master Clothier & Woodworker. All levels & sets, 9 traits, many styles. All enchantments.
    Provisions, potions & poisons available for all situations (except Psijic Ambrosia).

PSN: Sunskater
    PS4/NA
  • barrrt
    barrrt
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why do you recommend me to set up an alt to learn blacksmithing, clothing and woodworking. Can't I just do it on my main?

It's just a way to plan for the future. At some point you might want to craft using Clothing and Blacksmithing, then you will have to do it all on your main (and will struggle with skill points) -OR- split the three professions to different characters and will need multiple copies of motifs (which can get very expensive - either time or gold-wise).

By the way, try wearing all three kinds of armor while you level, so that you level them all. There are some passives later in the game that only work if you are wearing all three, and many people do. For example, on my Stamina characters I usually wear Heavy chests, Light belt, and the rest Medium.
    EP: Veren Sailenar - 50 DK : Isabeau Sette Tyne - 50 Sorc : This-One-Lizard-Yes - 50 Templar : Lililia Adal - 50 NB : Solea Caro - 50 DK : Igor with Vigor - 50 Sorc : Slightly-Delays-Death - 50 Templar : Balki Barthel - 50 Warden : Willowshade Roxie - 50 Warden : Violetha Adal - 50 Templar : Andriel Greenarrow - 50 NB: Fleshy Leon - 50 Necro: Bonita Lacrimosa - 50 Nacro
    AD: Kael Spellbinder - 50 Templar
    DC: Sharrku gra-Dusku - 50 NB
  • sunskater
    sunskater
    By the way, there was one other thing...

When I played WoW, my herbalist was a druid because she could use stealth to acquire plants from areas she shouldn't be in. Couldn't just wander around picking flowers when surrounded by elite foes twice her level.

The same sort of thing can happen with smiths in Elder Scrolls. Wood, ore and fabric are zone dependent, so it is convenient to have your highest level, strongest character be your equipment crafter. Put a point in each of their Keen Eye passives and let them be your principal farmer/gatherer. They can go everywhere and confidently get anything.

You don't need battle strength in your current main as far your crafting choice goes because herbs, runes and groceries are zone independent---excepting potency runes, and you can easily buy those from vendors by mid-June. You can find this stuff in any low-level zone.

Hope this helps.

jt

Master Clothier & Woodworker. All levels & sets, 9 traits, many styles. All enchantments.
    Provisions, potions & poisons available for all situations (except Psijic Ambrosia).

PS4/NA
  • Loralai_907
    Loralai_907
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did have all on one, and I can tell you, it does limit what else you can do. I moved enchanting off to a new character, and I might move alchemy over as well, just to free up skill points.

I use every one equally, there is no best to know profession. I need gear, I need food, I need glyphs, and I need potions. I can make things for other people as well, which is nice when I am working with newer people.

If you plan to do all of them, for whichever character is going to make gear, start researching traits immediately. It takes roughly forever to get all 9 traits on every single item. Always have traits being researched. You can put points into being able to research more items at a time and to slightly reduce the amount of time researching takes. These things help.

PC-NA - formerly, mommadani907Guild: Weeping Angels - Co-GMTwitter: @ Loralai_907 several Alt accounts....CP 1700+
    Active characters:Fauna Rosewood ( Bosmer Stam DK - Master Crafter/AD)///Loralai Darknova (Drunken Zombie Bosmer Stam Sorc - PvP/AD)Lilith Darknova ( Dunmer Mag DK - Master Crafter - PvP/AD)///and roughly 1billion alts
  • itehache
    itehache
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Elephant42 I have now woodworking, clothing and smithing at 20!! I'm so happy! It is easier than expected!! And I am not spending any skill points, if I ever need them I will. I am only using skill points in provisioning and alchemy. Thanks again for your clever advice.

@sunskater Thanks about the comment on my English, it means the world to me. I checked the crafting forums before posting my question here but I saw only posts asking about certain mats and stuff and I thought the "players helping players" forum would fit better!
    Thank you very much for sharing your experience, I like to see how people whose characters are already "veterans" are doing.
    Actually, after asking for advice in another post, I reset all my skill points and started over. It was "only" 3k to restart everything but I was told it is worth it. I currently have 29 free skill points, I hope it is enough!! :sweat_smile:
    My main in wow it is (it was, really) also a herbalist but I have a mage and I can also go invisible haha I did not know that wood, ore and fabric are zone dependant!!!!! I actually read that when you reach level 50 you get access to other faction areas, and you can quest and stuff (that is actually the main reason why I don't really want an alt, I can experience the whole game with my little bosmer), so I guess I can just pick up those materials with my main :relieved:
    I have a question though, it may sound stupid but is there like world pvp? Like wow-style? If I am from the AD and I am questing with my lvl50 bosmer in the DC areas, will I get killed? I thought pvp was only in cyrodiil :tongue:

@barrrt Thank you very much for the explanation and the tip. I was actually wearing already heavy, medium and light armor (I guess that when you level up you get all mixed stuff haha), I am going to try to keep it that way until I get the max :smile:

@mommadani907 Thank you very much for sharing your experience!! Everyone has actually recommended to have an alt, after reading all these opinions I guess I will have to make one! haha :smile:

• Elephant42
    Elephant42
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Elephant42 I have now woodworking, clothing and smithing at 20!! I'm so happy! It is easier than expected!! And I am not spending any skill points, if I ever need them I will. I am only using skill points in provisioning and alchemy. Thanks again for your clever advice.
    -snip-
    You're welcome - it's nice to see someone who is fresh to the game and enjoying it so much as you obviously are, brings back memories of my first forays into Tamriel sooo long ago :)
    -snip-I have a question though, it may sound stupid but is there like world pvp? Like wow-style? If I am from the AD and I am questing with my lvl50 bosmer in the DC areas, will I get killed? I thought pvp was only in cyrodiil :tongue: -snip-
    There is no world PvP in ESO. The only places you can be killed by other players are Cyrodiil and Imperial City. You will actually only find people from your own faction out in the world. You can now group with players from other factions using the grouping tool but only for dungeons and trials, open world is still restricted to your own faction.
    Edited by Elephant42 on June 4, 2016 8:48PM
  • sunskater
    sunskater
    Congratulations on your development of the smithing crafts! I think you made a good choice!

I share your desire to do everything with one main character. It seems to make the game more...well...coherent. But I do want my alts, though. Mainly because I want to experience the game as a damage dealer, as a healer, as a tank, and so forth. And in keeping with Mommadani907's sentiment, I want all the crafts. My healer is the alchemist, enchanter and provisioner of the group. There are other reasons to develop alt characters, but these are some of mine.

I really haven't done more than "dabble" with PVP in Elder Scrolls, and it has been a while since I played WoW, but I did enjoy PVP there. But there isn't any world PVP in ESO. There are no PVP megaservers and no "switch" you can set to enable combat between you and other like-minded souls in Tamriel. I suppose the rated battlegrounds of WoW would be similar to PVP in ESO, but I wouldn't call it an analogue for Cyrodiil. There aren't any PVP arenas to my knowledge---no 'Dalaran Sewers of the Imperial City'...yet. And there isn't any Goldshire. I suppose dueling is possible in Cyrodiil, but that would be difficult for me because my friends and I have main characters in the same faction.. Yet another reason to develop alts. So, no, you aren't going to get killed by players when you start Cadwell's Gold/Silver after completing the main quest. Besides, little Bosmers can just kill them first! :D:D:D

Best of luck to you. ;)

JT

PS4/NA
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    barrrt wrote: »
    Enchanting

Enchanting takes a loooooooooong time to level. Really long time. That’s all you need to know :-)
    It's not exactly true that enchanting takes a long time. It's rather quick if you know how to do.
    If it's your first character and you wish to level in a normal way, usually you choose to deconstruct these glyphs you find during questing & killing mobs - ok, but that's the longest way.
    So first, get yourself into good trading guilds or visit often those trading hubs where the stores are located. You will see that sometimes people are selling glyphs.
    If you have money - buy these glyphs for deconstruction, but only those of at least vet15 (CP150) level and max 150-200 g per piece. Vet15-16 will give the highest xp from deconstruction.
    From this point there is also a trick - if you know a guildie with maxed out enchanting and good trader in a same time, and also your friend (or material for a friend) - you can ask them to be your enchanting trainer :).
    There is a simple combination of mats to create a vet15 (CP150) glyphs in fine quality, which production per single glyph - if you have MasterMerchant and know the value - costs about 50g . Such person can buy the mats from stores in hundreds pieces just to make you hundreds of vet15 glyphs for levelling.
    Fine quality from Jejota gives probably double more xp than white random glyphs of the same level but single Jejota cost only 10g./pc. Both remaining runes from combination I mentioned cost about 20g/each.
    In stores they sell usually for 150-200 or more, but if their production cost 50g, your friend can actually do tons for 50 or a bit more for his time.
    So the key is finding a proper friend with their small manufacture. A few hundreds will level your skill pretty fast.

And you need the guild for the purpose of transferring this lots of glyphs between you. He can put the glyphs into store of guild you both are members, and you can immediately buy them all soon after. The house cut will be small and also will suport the guild this way :).
    Or - if your guild has enough space in guild bank for such transfer - and you both have permissions to deposit and take items from bank - this is even cheaper way.

Edit: the rule to buy vet15 minimum items for deconstruction suits also for other gears to level quicker their trees, so if you see in stores any weapons/armors with traits and max 150g, buy it and deconstruct. This will speed up your levelling and give some mats too.
    Edited by Gargath on June 5, 2016 8:18PM
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think its good to level all of the crafts :) Especially if you plan to do the writs daily. If you do those, you get about 600 gold per one, so that's like 4k gold every day just from those, not to mention the chance of getting gold items and materials to sell or make more. Its also very rewarding when you can make all your own potions, enchants, food, armour, weapons everything :)
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • Aaru
    Aaru
    ✭✭
    Best options for crafting is to have 2 crafts on each character.
    Provisioning + Alchemist is very useful
    Blacksmith + Clothier is also good
    Enchanting and Woodworking are less useful, slow to level, and usually you are better off buying those items than making them.
  • Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are so many skill points that it's not a big issue to level and apply skill points to all professions. That's what I did with 
    my main, and I've never been short of skill points. 

If you don't want any alts, then definitely pursue all professions, as they are a good source of revenue.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it's been mentioned but if you don't learn all the equipment (blacksmithing, woodworking and clothing) crafts on one character then you'll end up needing motifs for multiple characters, which could get tedious and expensive.

I have all of them on one character and he still functions as a fighter, though he's not very versatile. But I also have many skill points I haven't obtained yet.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been mentioned but if you don't learn all the equipment (blacksmithing, woodworking and clothing) crafts on one character then you'll end up needing motifs for multiple characters, which could get tedious and expensive.
    I have 3 crafters:
    - Blacksmith, Provisioner
    - Woodworker, Enchanter
    - Clothier, Alchemist

Getting multiple motifs for them actually wasn't that much of a hassle or expense.
    :smile:
    Edited by SirAndy on June 7, 2016 9:41PM
  • itehache
    itehache
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did not expect so many people to reply, thank you guys so much!!! I'm loving this community so far.

@Elephant42 You have no idea how exited I get every time i discover something new in these kind of games :smile:

I'm level 49 now (almost there!!!) and I still feel like there is sooo much to explore. I had the same feeling when I first played Oblivion and Skyrim, even though the games are different from ESO they do have so many little corners to explore...

Nice to hear there is no world pvp. Not that I don't like it, but I used to get killed so many times in wow... I just want to quest in peace :tired_face:

@sunskater The main reason why I want to do everything with one character is because I did so in Oblivion and Skyrim! of course then I replayed the games so many times... but you always have this one character who dealt with all challenges. I understand that MMOs work different but still, I kinda want to deal with everything with my main :smile: I played wow and I had 2 alts, but I also did everything on my main... That's the way I play I guess!

At first I wanted to create alts in the other factions, just to see the leveling areas, but then I learnt that once you reach lvl 50 and finish the main quest you can go there with your main so I guess I'll just do that!

I will try pvp, why not? I was afraid to do so in Wow at first because I thought I was going to get killed when I first stepped to Ashran... but it became kinda fun, and pvp in the imperial city I'm sure it will be a blast.

Thank your for your kind words!
  • itehache
    itehache
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Gargath I am definately going to save your post in a note pad of mine where I have some recommendations I have been given!!

For a new player enchanting sounds complicated but I really appreciate your explanation.

I did not know you could destroy glyphs to improve enchanting :disappointed: I have sold them all.... and I am at level 49 now so imagine how many went to waste!!

@Glaiceana I still have not done any daily craft :tongue: just the tutorial ones. But now that you said how much gold you get from them... I better get started asap!!

Atm I am leveling all my professions except for enchanting, and thanks to the recommendations I have gotten from this forum I think I'm doing pretty well, i hope I can complete those daily quests without much trouble.

Thank you very much for your help!

@Aaru I still don't feel like creating my own armor/weapon, but I am currently leveling up alchemy and provisioning as my "main" crafting professions and I couldn't be happier with the results.

@Amdar_Godkiller That's what I thought. I am level 49 now and I have got 31 skill points unused. I am saving them for when I start the DLC, but I assume I will get skill points there as well.

I think that if you find all the skyshards and do all the quests you get way more than enough skill points, but since I am new, I did not want to spend them just in case (even though you can reset them all I need to save money too :tongue: )

@Danksta Thank you very much for your advice, I did not know it, nope. At the moment I do not pretend to craft my armor/weapon but I will definately take this into account! Good to hear it was not a hassle for @SirAndy , but still, I want to reach the level cap first and then start investigating about motifs :smiley:

• Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Aaru I still don't feel like creating my own armor/weapon, but I am currently leveling up alchemy and provisioning as my "main" crafting professions and I couldn't be happier with the results.
    I think it may not be the most important thing for you right now if you are lvl49 with only single character and you are willing to push only this one to end game :). It's because alchemy and provisioning items above lvl50 are now cheaper than whenever before and if it's your first character you no more need to spend a lot of money for crafting your own tri-stats potions or tri-stats purple food from very expensive ingredients. Due to recent changes those items are now very cheap in stores or even given away for free if you ask politely other guildies, since many people were keeping them in personal banks for levelling their alts and now these players who have at least one CP160+ character, just don't need item stacks of lvl CP10-150, because they can use already CP160 items for any new alt that graduates to lvl50. And I think nobody buys these potions/food because many guilds also were keeping full stacks and now wish to clean their stocks giving them away.

I recommend to make a constant research of all crafting trees (Blacksmithing, Woodworking, Clothing), if possible pushing fast for passive allowing at least 2 items reasearched in same time. It's also good to either buy armors/weapons with researcheable traits (there is an addon Research Assistant, which greatly improves that) in bulk from best stores or even better - ask other guildies for craft per small fee or for free. I suggest to buy/craft all parts of one armor with the same trait and consequently research first all gear parts of the same trait and then all parts of another trait. In this way you always start new research in a good order having better orientation for traits that you still need to research on remaining parts. For weapons though I suggest researchning all traits of the single weapon you use, to speed up the research and have the possibility to craft a set item faster.
    Once you have researched at least 2 traits per 5 pcs armor you can make your first set. Creating an own armor/weapon in a desired set makes this game to look much more interesting :).
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good to hear it was not a hassle for @SirAndy , but still, I want to reach the level cap first and then start investigating about motifs :smiley:
    Why? confused24.gif

I have 4 mains:
    - My 3 crafters which are fully leveled VR16 characters, one in each alliance and different classes.
    - The 4th is my dedicated PvP character, also VR16.

I have been using them to make my own gear since the very beginning. They have everything researched and everything leveled to 50 with regards to their craft.

Waiting until you reach the level cap seems like a missed opportunity ...
    idea.gif
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Learning all crafts on one character is completely feasible, though not without challenges. I played the first 18 months on my main, using alts only as extra bag space. You can only load 10 skills at a time, no matter how many skill lines you learn. You don't need to learn every class and weapon skill to be able to be a decent player in all content. I still push my main through all new content first, because that is where I want my achievements.

Space was a huge obstacle to learning all crafts, but if you have a Craft bag, that is no longer true. The other major obstacle is having enough skill points. This has also gotten much easier, since there have been many additional skyshards and quests with points added to the game. You are almost past the hardest stretch, from level 1-50. Once you have access to the other alliances, skill points are much easier. Don't forget the other skill point sources: Public Dungeon group event, Mage and Fighter guild quests, Main quest, main quest line in each alliance, Cyrodiil skyshards, PVP ranks, Group dungeons. The best place to spend skill points early is in research passives, extraction, and keen eye (no need for keen for enchanting).

I could quibble a bit with some of the advice offered above, but it is generally good advice. Bottom-line, there is no reason not to have all crafts on one alt. I find it very convenient to have one main that can support the rest of my 'team' of alts. FYI, I also have leveled my active alts in every craft, though generally spending few skill points on crafting. They will be prepared for any major crafting changes that may come.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Gigglez
    Gigglez
    ✭✭
    Advice---try to research the traits you think you'll want to use before the ones you would never use. (However they do sometimes make changes to traits, like they are doing for DB DLC)

It takes longer each time you learn a trait on something, when you get to around 6 traits learned it starts to feel like you are NEVER going to learn the next one. (skill points in the appropriate passives for faster research time help alot when you get to this stage)

I would like to go back in time and only learn Clothing, Blacksmithing and Woodworking on 1 character (the Motifs need to be all on 1 character) and Provisioning, Alchemy and Enchanting on another.

If you need a specific trait to research ASK someone in area chat near the crafting station--there are some *** but the vast majority of players are awesome and would be happy to help another player out.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main reason why I want to do everything with one character is because I did so in Oblivion and Skyrim! of course then I replayed the games so many times... but you always have this one character who dealt with all challenges. I understand that MMOs work different but still, I kinda want to deal with everything with my main

Ideally, you should have 4 Alts, one for each Class. I see your point about doing it all on one character, I tended to do the same thing in previous TES games, but I also had countless other characters for other reasons.

Once you level a single character, especially getting them proficient in Crafting, then Alts are easy and offer so much Freedom. Your Crafter can equip your alts so they are always powerful, you don't have to chase Achievements, unless you want a title, you can skip content or focus on one type of content or the other on your alts. With Crafting Bags, the need for Inventory Mules had been vastly reduced, but, a Mule Character or two can help with holding onto Set Items you may want to use in the future. I have one for Dropped sets and one who holds crafted sets. Let me tell you, it is even more fun to just grab something off of an alt to equip a new character.

With the Champ System, you still want to pick a character that does most of the heavy lifting in the game. However an Alt of mine I recently took through Silver gained 34 Champ Points in those 5 zones (and I skipped most of Zones 4 and 5 in Silver). Does not sound like much, but this was CP492 to CP526 where they cost 700,000 or more points to gain. Someone with 200 CPs could gain another 100 or so from the same content.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"