The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Player Seeking Help W/ DoT Based Build

Mordakai
Mordakai
Soul Shriven
Hello community,

I'm sure there are quiet a few of you returned like me for DB and I hope your enjoying it. I have been trying to do a dot tank on and off over the past few months but due to college haven't had any time to actually succeed. Does anyone have any experience with DoT builds and whether dk or nb would make a better DoT tank? I could really use some direction here and if you think I should drop the tanking to make it work that is alright as well just really want to get this working.

Sincerely,

Mordakai
A new player
  • Mordakai
    Mordakai
    Soul Shriven
    From What I've been told VSMA Daggers & Stam DK in medium 7/7 is the way to go for a pure dot build. However some people said if you go dot's you cannot pvp with it pretty much at all. I also heard that NB's can go cloth and be hot/dot builds but they have less overall dots and dps if they do this.

Is this true? If so, then are dot builds still viable in pve?
  • Deheart
    Deheart
    ✭✭✭
    I have a side question about a dot build.

Is it true that spells that do regular damage first and then damage over time are not considered dot's with the Champion point Thaumaturge?
    As a casual player I was satisfied that at one point I had a char max level and near max crafting with almost all motifs and I pretty much lost interest. Then ESO discovered DLC's and now my main is just a wanabe and I am happily pulled back into the game.
  • Mordakai
    Mordakai
    Soul Shriven
    Deheart wrote: »
    I have a side question about a dot build.

Is it true that spells that do regular damage first and then damage over time are not considered dot's with the Champion point Thaumaturge?

Hmm this is a really good question as well, I hope we get some answers while the servers are down.
  • Acsvf
    Acsvf
    ✭✭✭
    No.
    Anything that can even be remotely considered a DoT is a DoT, from Burning Embers to Puncturing Strikes. Before Dark Brotherhood update, that included Magicka Detonation.
    Edited by Acsvf on May 31, 2016 9:47PM
    @LightArray
    Lightarray Level 50 Dunmer Magicka Templar Healer

CP: 192

Add @Acsvf when quoting me to give me a notification!
  • LegacyDM
    LegacyDM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run a hybrid straight damage and dot magicka nb build in pvp. Very effective. I run cripple, skoria, batswarm, and lotus fan. Sometimes I swap out lotus fan with prolonged suffering. I wear down my opponents with a combination of dots, swallow soul, and sap essence. Can do a lot of damage.
    Edited by LegacyDM on June 1, 2016 3:43AM
    Legacy of Kain
    Vicious Carnage
    ¥ampire Lord of the South
  • Deheart
    Deheart
    ✭✭✭
    How about this question, if you have flame damage over time, is that under Fire Damage or Damage over Time?
    As a casual player I was satisfied that at one point I had a char max level and near max crafting with almost all motifs and I pretty much lost interest. Then ESO discovered DLC's and now my main is just a wanabe and I am happily pulled back into the game.
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mordakai wrote: »
    Hello community,

I'm sure there are quiet a few of you returned like me for DB and I hope your enjoying it. I have been trying to do a dot tank on and off over the past few months but due to college haven't had any time to actually succeed. Does anyone have any experience with DoT builds and whether dk or nb would make a better DoT tank? I could really use some direction here and if you think I should drop the tanking to make it work that is alright as well just really want to get this working.

Sincerely,

Mordakai
    A new player

Definitely DK. NB needs more spamming and has less good DoTs.
    You can build tanky or DPS DK based on DoTs both magika and stamina.
    For magika DK tank choice is obvious - S&S\destro-inferno
    For stamina DK I liked S&S\DW-axes (flurry is DoT, cloak is Dot, blood craze is Dot, and axe passive DoT synergize well with venom claw and noxious breath and CP in taumaturt)
  • Acsvf
    Acsvf
    ✭✭✭
    How about this question, if you have flame damage over time, is that under Fire Damage or Damage over Time?
    Both.
    @LightArray
    Lightarray Level 50 Dunmer Magicka Templar Healer

CP: 192

Add @Acsvf when quoting me to give me a notification!