The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Where would you fit these names?

Mr_Apollo
Mr_Apollo
✭✭✭
So, hello everyone, first time in these forums, but, I've been writing a fiction (not exactly from the Universe of Elder Scrolls but heavily based on it) and I wanted some feedback on two things:
One, a city name;
And two, a proper name;

So although the fiction is not FROM the Elder Scrolls Universe, the names and origins of them are quite the same from it. So I wanted to know what do you imagine when you hear (or read) such name, in the same Universe as Elder Scrolls?

City Name: Ostagaeth (Pronounced as As-ta-giθ)
Name: Wer'kaelith (Pronounced as Where-ki-lit)

Advanced thanks to everyone and any questions just ask
"Am I truly lost? Is this the end of me? Perhaps...just like all stories have a beginning, all of them will have an ending"
~Brelin Geolas

"The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing"
~Lyris Titanborn

"It is good the people wear clothing. M'aiq wears clothing. Who would want to see M'aiq naked? Sick, sick people. Very sad."
~M'aiq the Liar
Kornwalsky - Dunmer - Nightblade
Tinker Knight - Khajiit - DragonKnight
Erenimir - Altmer - Sorcerer
M'zorna - Orc - Sorcerer
Kristof Nordgård - Breton - Templar

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello, and welcome!

Ostagaeth sounded a little like an Altmer word (or Aldmeri) to me at first. It seems more Mer-ish than anything else. But then the more I say it, the more it seems like it could equally be lifted from Hammerfell (which has/had place names such as Hegathe and Taneth). It feels 'old', or ancient... like a port, or sacred place.

Wer'kaelith has me perplexed. The 'kaelith' part reads slightly Mer-ish, but doesn't sound Mer-ish. It could be something Khajiiti, based on what little I know of the Ta'agra language. It sounds slightly feminine.

I really like both words! Ostagaeth in particular just looks and sounds like it belongs in a piece of fiction, if that makes sense?!
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • Mr_Apollo
    Mr_Apollo
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you and thank you again for your feedback, these sorts of things really help, no writer ever writes any books without proper help and feedback for someone, and I don't know that many people with that big of interest in Elder Scrolls to actually help me.

In my own opinion, I did have a sort of Orcish feeling into it, though it also fits really well as an Altmer village or a ruin in the Great Alik'r desert.

The actual name, that was one of my biggest challenges, mostly because the more I said it, the harder it was to actually apply it to a specific race. Though it actually drew me in as a primal like race, khajiit being the closest to it
    Edited by Mr_Apollo on May 31, 2016 9:13PM
    "Am I truly lost? Is this the end of me? Perhaps...just like all stories have a beginning, all of them will have an ending"
    ~Brelin Geolas

"The Divines gave you a nose for a reason, Tharn. So you can keep your mouth shut and still keep breathing"
    ~Lyris Titanborn

"It is good the people wear clothing. M'aiq wears clothing. Who would want to see M'aiq naked? Sick, sick people. Very sad."
    ~M'aiq the Liar
    Kornwalsky - Dunmer - Nightblade
    Tinker Knight - Khajiit - DragonKnight
    Erenimir - Altmer - Sorcerer
    M'zorna - Orc - Sorcerer
    Kristof Nordgård - Breton - Templar

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Orcish? For Ostagaeth? Now that you mention it, that would make sense too. It's a strong, powerful sounding word. Quite appropriate I think.
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'