The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

help with magica sorc build

lord_dal
lord_dal
✭✭✭
hi, I left the game 1 year ago, and just came back, more or less all the skills any many passives have changed so I feel a bit lost atm lol.
I mostly play solo, or a random dungeon now and then, I used to have the clannfear since it made solo play easy, and I like the summoning tree.
now Im just looking at the skills, having a hard time choosing from all the skills, any suggestions on a "pet" build, thats good for solo play/dungeons, or with a few skills to swap when doing dungeons, oh, and I dont really pvp, so would prefer a build without pvp skills if possible
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lord_dal wrote: »
    hi, I left the game 1 year ago, and just came back, more or less all the skills any many passives have changed so I feel a bit lost atm lol.
    I mostly play solo, or a random dungeon now and then, I used to have the clannfear since it made solo play easy, and I like the summoning tree.
    now Im just looking at the skills, having a hard time choosing from all the skills, any suggestions on a "pet" build, thats good for solo play/dungeons, or with a few skills to swap when doing dungeons, oh, and I dont really pvp, so would prefer a build without pvp skills if possible

Do you see my signature? I think it echoes the feelings of the great majority of the sorcerers, specially magicka sorcerers. If I were you and was still leveling up my sorcerer I'd shelve it for a couple of patches and level something good like a stamina DK or a Magicka Templar.

If you are going to be persistent know this, pet damage is extremely low late game as the pets, unlike every other spell, don't take advantage of your champion points. They also have serious survivability concerns, alas, if you are stubborn, I'd suggest Bound Aegis on both bars as pets scale solely from your magicka pool and not from your spell power. You sets should also be Magicka centered. Have Empowered Ward to protect your pets and Curse to increase their miserable DPS.

You will need a Fire Staff as your main weapon because that is all Magicka sorcerers can use, Force Pulse or Crushing shock as your spammable abilities. Liquid Lightning as one of the dots, Elemental blockade as another. You will need Surge for the heals (Now horribly weak) and for the buffs.

Your choice of pet should connect to what you need. Each pet morph now has an active, one for direct DPS (Twilight Tormentor), one for HoTs for the raid and or your self (Matriarch), one for self healing and tanking (with lower damage - Clannfear) and one for AoE damage (unstable Familiar). Equip and morph according to what you believe your needs will be for each fight.

You should also probably try to slot in Inner light on your main bar and Crystal Fragments for additional DPS. If you still have space somewhere on your bar, slot Mage's Wrath. As for Ultimates... Ice Comet / Overload are likely your best choices, sadly.
    Edited by Grao on May 31, 2016 8:48PM
  • lord_dal
    lord_dal
    ✭✭✭
    Grao wrote: »

Do you see my signature? I think it echoes the feelings of the great majority of the sorcerers, specially magicka sorcerers. If I were you and was still leveling up my sorcerer I'd shelve it for a couple of patches and level something good like a stamina DK or a Magicka Templar.

If you are going to be persistent know this, pet damage is extremely low late game as the pets, unlike every other spell, don't take advantage of your champion points. They also have serious survivability concerns, alas, if you are stubborn, I'd suggest Bound Aegis on both bars as pets scale solely from your magicka pool and not from your spell power. You sets should also be Magicka centered. Have Empowered Ward to protect your pets and Curse to increase their miserable DPS.

You will need a Fire Staff as your main weapon because that is all Magicka sorcerers can use, Force Pulse or Crushing shock as your spammable abilities. Liquid Lightning as one of the dots, Elemental blockade as another. You will need Surge for the heals (Now horribly weak) and for the buffs.

Your choice of pet should connect to what you need. Each pet morph now has an active, one for direct DPS (Twilight Tormentor), one for HoTs for the raid and or your self (Matriarch), one for self healing and tanking (with lower damage - Clannfear) and one for AoE damage (unstable Familiar). Equip and morph according to what you believe your needs will be for each fight.

You should also probably try to slot in Inner light on your main bar and Crystal Fragments for additional DPS. If you still have space somewhere on your bar, slot Mage's Wrath. As for Ultimates... Ice Comet / Overload are likely your best choices, sadly.

thanks for the answer:)

the main reason for using the sorc is simply that I found it the most solo friendly, and I dont pvp, and dungeons, well I do those for the skillpoint, but other then that I do solo stuff, crafting, so that the pets dmg is low end game, well its not really a problem for me, since I dont do the "hardcore" stuff anyway, but ofc it does not have to be a "pet" build, I just like the fact that it makes it possible to solo even harder stuff, so Im open for non pet builds if it has the same ability so solo stuff:) and stamina.. same thing there I guess, Im open for it on the sorc, but I like ranged combat, and havent really found any bow builds that make sense.
    but Il try your suggestions regarding the magica build:)
  • Grao
    Grao
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grao wrote: »

thanks for the answer:)

the main reason for using the sorc is simply that I found it the most solo friendly, and I dont pvp, and dungeons, well I do those for the skillpoint, but other then that I do solo stuff, crafting, so that the pets dmg is low end game, well its not really a problem for me, since I dont do the "hardcore" stuff anyway, but ofc it does not have to be a "pet" build, I just like the fact that it makes it possible to solo even harder stuff, so Im open for non pet builds if it has the same ability so solo stuff:) and stamina.. same thing there I guess, Im open for it on the sorc, but I like ranged combat, and havent really found any bow builds that make sense.
    but Il try your suggestions regarding the magica build:)

Then equipping the clannnfear will likely be your best bet, focus your remaining bar slots for CCs, DoTs etc. Pets truly don't do as much damage as they should for the amount of work they demand... The clannfear has a strong heal and a self heal, so it is less likely to die, besides it still draws agro if a mob tries attacking its summoner, so it should do alright at keeping you safe. In dungeons though, if you are DPSing, I don't see how slotting a pet would be good for your DPS with the possible exception of the Tormentor, and even that is a little too weak.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Use the same skills you are used to. I logged into my Sorc today, to test the new DB shield changes. I played for a few hours in Hew's Bane and easily managed the content using Curse, Shards and Lt/Hvy attacks from Destro staff. Then I realized NONE of my CP were active while I rolled over everything. For what you want to play, you don't really need an optimal build. Just find something that works and is fun for you.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    the main reason for using the sorc is simply that I found it the most solo friendly, and I dont pvp, and dungeons, well I do those for the skillpoint, but other then that I do solo stuff, crafting, so that the pets dmg is low end game, well its not really a problem for me, since I dont do the "hardcore" stuff anyway,

I was going to say the same thing: roll a templar, they are more sorc-y that sorcs. But for what you want to do, sorcs are still fine.

Most general purpose sorc builds revolve around the relatively new crafted set, Julianos. Willpower arcane jewelry also, but they would require grinding for trophies in PvP-enabled Imperial City with some RNG on the drops, or purchasing for relatively high prices in guild stores. Trinimac jewelry is not quite as good, but you can grind for it (it's BoP) in PvE/Wrothgar. Round out with Torug's Pact or Seducers or Magnus (all crafted sets) and you will be in a good spot for multi-purpose play

If you aren't max level, Warlock and Soulshine are excellent sets and have jewelry. Soulshine sells for fairly cheap in guild stores.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The other thing to consider is that there has just been a major patch. We are still all working out what "works" in this new version of things.

That being said, sorc has always been my favorite class, and I will continue to play them.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • lord_dal
    lord_dal
    ✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    the main reason for using the sorc is simply that I found it the most solo friendly, and I dont pvp, and dungeons, well I do those for the skillpoint, but other then that I do solo stuff, crafting, so that the pets dmg is low end game, well its not really a problem for me, since I dont do the "hardcore" stuff anyway,

I was going to say the same thing: roll a templar, they are more sorc-y that sorcs. But for what you want to do, sorcs are still fine.

Most general purpose sorc builds revolve around the relatively new crafted set, Julianos. Willpower arcane jewelry also, but they would require grinding for trophies in PvP-enabled Imperial City with some RNG on the drops, or purchasing for relatively high prices in guild stores. Trinimac jewelry is not quite as good, but you can grind for it (it's BoP) in PvE/Wrothgar. Round out with Torug's Pact or Seducers or Magnus (all crafted sets) and you will be in a good spot for multi-purpose play

If you aren't max level, Warlock and Soulshine are excellent sets and have jewelry. Soulshine sells for fairly cheap in guild stores.

well, I do have a max lvl magica templar, but for some reason it seems like its bugged, atleast light/heavy attacks and dark flare, even when targeting a mob, I have to press on the mouse atleast twice before I get an attack, same with dark flare, I have to press it twice before anything happens, really anoying, first I thought it was an addon bug or something, but its the same with all addons removed, and its only on the templar I have this issue, just for the sake of it, I made a new templar, same issue there, and I have no idea why, but it does make playing it a pain..