Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PvP Lag???

DrummondWarrior
Please correct me if I am wrong... but skimming through all of the 2.4 patch updates I did not see a single bullet point for Cyrodill performance fixes or solutions.... there are a ton of things in 2.4 that were updated... nothing wrong with that... all good... however as almost an exclusive PvP player I see nothing to help the ever present lag, if nothing else some sort of communication from ZOS on what the plan is for PvP would be nice.
For example: We are focusing on vet rank removal, updates to yada yada yada but the focus for 2.5 will be primarily on Alliance War experience ect ect ect. But, from what I can tell, it almost appears that there is no attempt at trying to make things any better... I loathe the lag but I can look past that to a degree if small fixes that improve the lag are made.
Don't mean to make this a vent thread, I am just trying to find out if I myself made a mistake and missed something in the updates that helps enhance Alliance War lag specifically.
A man fails seven times and rises eight times.
  • Lokey0024
    Lokey0024
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://youtu.be/E34aYRDYIi0

No lag. Just l2p
  • _Chaos
    _Chaos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The next incremental patch will have some changes to underlying combat resolutions to speed up calculations on the server, but also some changes to how abilities check their cost per cast. We found many abilities were evaluating their costs when they didn't need to, so we're fixing that.

There are some changes to how abilities are structured coming in the Thieves Guild patch itself. These changes don't effect the ability functionality on the player or their effects against other players, but how the server handles the process of the abilities themselves.
    - 1/18/2016

We have been making incrimental changes to how the server handles abilities and items in combat as well as adjusting some back end work regarding how abilities prioritize their targets. The bulk of these changes will be coming in the next major update.
    - 4/5/2016

Maybe they meant the next next next major content update, September here we come!
    'Chaos
  • PainfulFAFA
    PainfulFAFA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the fixes that the Performance team does to ease the lag is how abilities work and do their checks. Wheeler has explained this several times in the ESO lives.

For example, there was a time when Repentance, Rapids, Purge, Barriers, Passives, Gear Sets, Synergies, etc affected EVERYONE around the caster which meant HUGE checks for every single ability and every single affected player = LAG.
    So what they did was limit the amount of affected players to "affects group members only" which DID help ease the lag since it would require LESS checks = LESS LAG. They also reduced the range of several abilities for the same reason: Less checks = less lag.
    I think thats the approach theyre taking atm. Ive been seeing ALOT of changes to abilities ever since AoE Caps.

Maybe theyre doing some back end stuff but i think theyre plan atm is to "fix and polish" certain abilities that would create lots of checks (like how Repentance used to give HP+Stam to EVERYONE) before taking drastic measures like upgrading servers, removing AoE caps, removing lighting patch (luls), etc.

But until then, the lag will ALWAYS be there. One of the reason many people quit PvP and the game all together. I'll be leaving this game soon forever until they decide to bring back the glorious game this used to be because the lag makes it unplayable. The only way they will win me back is if they bring back Dynamic Ult regen or remove AoE Caps.
    Edited by PainfulFAFA on May 31, 2016 6:05PM
    PC NA
    Aztec | AZTEC | Ahztec | Aztehk | Master of Mnem
    MagDK | Magplar | Magward | Mageblade | Stamsorc

• Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I don't know. After the update and before the servers went down I had about 10 minutes of uncannily smooth gameplay. So my guess is that in the process of investigating the cheats/exploit the anti-cheating code got disabled and they've belatedly realised they went live with that. By the way, if anyone's seen my hat, please contact me. You'll know it when you see it. The tin foil really makes it stand out.
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • outsideworld76
    outsideworld76
    ✭✭✭
    Lokey0024 wrote: »

Pretty standard for Cyrodiil. Server performance is a joke.
  • ZOS_BrianWheeler
    ZOS_BrianWheeler
    PvP & Combat Lead
    There have been updates to this patch but were server side only dealing with architecture of the combat system itself. Usually these do not get patch notes.
    Wheeler
    ESO PVP Lead & Combat Lead
    Staff Post
  • Zheg
    Zheg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There have been updates to this patch but were server side only dealing with architecture of the combat system itself. Usually these do not get patch notes.

All in all the large fights last night were 'ok' lag wise - either better or the same from last patch. One thing I noticed is that my blazing spears would actually drop, and that almost never happens in laggy fights. Nova still doesn't drop when I want it to, but it seems like all ults are clunky, and every templar has learned to live with clunky skills.

I used to crash allllll the time during large fights and couldn't log back in until they were over, but my desperation led me to try changing a few things in the user settings file following the advice of a random post on the forums and I haven't crashed in >2 weeks. My graphics are ugly now, rocks lose some of their lines so it's hard to tell what you can and can't jump, I can barely see my channeled focus or a negate, but I don't crash. At all. Everyone knows about the setting NormalMaps=0, I made 3 other changes (will have to check, don't remember which ones), but if those areas are problematic and causing crashes that might help direct where to focus on the backend fixes.
  • DrummondWarrior
    Aprodite wrote: »
    I get it, no need to support this game.....

Thank you very much for addressing my question... I dont know how it happened but I somehow became sucked into this game that it is a part of daily life for me and almost exclusively in the PvP world. I hope that PvP continues to stay a high priority for Zenimax and the only thing that I would request if I may is just communication as to what is happening and letting us players know there is still a strong continued passion for PvP from Zos. With all of the PvE content being released and not a lot being said about PvP content outside of Imperial City... was a little concerned that it had lost a little focus. Thank you again for replying. I do appreciate it :)
    A man fails seven times and rises eight times.
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Can you explain why sound has been broken even more now?
    Before, it used to happen only during large laggy battles, now sound seems to disappear just randomly and everywhere. We had to fight almost the whole evening without any sound whatsoever.
    @ZOS_BrianWheeler
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
  • HoloYoitsu
    HoloYoitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I hope that PvP continues to stay a high priority for Zenimax
    1556qe.jpg
  • JDar
    JDar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this the thread where we beat the dead horse again?

They have probably done almost everything they can. There is no magic bullet. There is no line of code. Lag is a chronic disease. The prognosis is not good. The best they can do is develop medication and treatments to alleviate symptoms.

Enjoy the game for what it is when it is lag-free: a gift. The game is sick when the lag is minimal. They just designed the game poorly at its inception. I feel bad for people who are working on the game 9 years after it was designed. They can't do a damn thing.
    Edited by JDar on June 2, 2016 12:12AM
  • HoloYoitsu
    HoloYoitsu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    JDar wrote: »
    Is this the thread where we beat the dead horse again?

They have probably done almost everything they can. There is no magic bullet. There is no line of code. Lag is a chronic disease. The prognosis is not good. The best they can do is develop medication and treatments to alleviate symptoms.

Enjoy the game for what it is when it is lag-free: a gift. The game is sick when the lag is minimal. They just designed the game poorly at its inception. I feel bad for people who are working on the game 9 years after it was designed. They can't do a damn thing.
    Holy wall of one liners Batman!

The refutation to everything you just said is the first 2 months of the game from launch till 1.2. Before the anti not patch, pvp worked fine with pretty much no to minimal lag in battles with hundreds of people - and not only that, but multiple huge battles all over the map at the same time. That was the game at its inception.

If I should view enjoying the game lag-free as a gift, then perhaps ZOS should start giving away the game for free, cuz I sure as hell didn't pay for this game on the promise of "lots of lag lots of the time".
  • JDar
    JDar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HoloYoitsu wrote: »
    Holy wall of one liners Batman!

I'm willing to admit I went a little overboard there.
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lag has always been the enemy...now I got bars that don't swap and abilities that won't go off (bat swarm) and Ping is below 200??! What gives ZOS? Hope it is fixed quickly.
  • Lord-Stien
    Lord-Stien
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys...... i brought in a fresh dead horse so you can beat it some more ....... some creep already tore up the backside.... but hey here we are
    Sometimes the real enemy are the one who moderate it.

BannHammer

PVP Officer

Alliance Cord

When in doubt, frag out

Heart of Daggerfall-=Iron Legion=- Founding Member

The one and only LordSteindeath
  • outsideworld76
    outsideworld76
    ✭✭✭
    Lag has always been the enemy...now I got bars that don't swap and abilities that won't go off (bat swarm) and Ping is below 200??! What gives ZOS? Hope it is fixed quickly.

Seems balanced to me, this sort of things is pretty normal for me since I started playing. Nothing is broke, this is how PvP should be for everybody. If there is lag and they can't fix it, everybody should experience the same lag so there is a level playing field. Good work ZoS <3
  • Volrion
    Volrion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lokey0024 wrote: »

GG man.