Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Insane lag spikes and FPS drops when other players are around

Stefz
Stefz
Soul Shriven
So I purchased the game roughly a week ago. For the first few days everything was working fine, but oh boy did that change. Whenever there are players around, my ping goes over 1k and the FPS drops make it almost impossible to traverse the area (this usually happens in large towns but is not exclusive to them). Changing the graphic quality doesn't make a slightest difference and this is the first MMO that I've experienced this kind of problem with. I went through tons of reddit threads, tried every possible solution I can find but nothing seems to help. As soon as I leave a town or any other populated area, ping and FPS go back to normal. Any suggestions?

Edit: Here's what I tried so far:
Disabled CPU parking
I always close the launcher
Various graphic quality changes
Disabled all unnecessary background applications
Disabled all but primary sound drivers

More info:
EU server
Pentium G645 dual core 2.9 GHz
Powercolor R7 250 (1280x1024, 60hz)
4 GB RAM

Judging by the resource manager, everything seems fine when the problem occurs.
Edited by Stefz on May 26, 2016 6:01AM
  • ZOS_DaryaK
    ZOS_DaryaK
    admin
    If you haven't already please submit a ticket to our support team and be sure to include your game consultant so our technical support agents can assist you.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_DaryaK wrote: »
    If you haven't already please submit a ticket to our support team and be sure to include your game consultant so our technical support agents can assist you.

Oh, the irony...

@Stefz your PC specs look really low... both your CPU and GPU are entry-level parts and over 3 years old. I don't know that you will be able to get satisfactory performance on that rig :/
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    addons? And yea your hardware is kinda old
  • Korax
    Korax
    ✭✭✭
    The FPS issue is likely more related to the use of the 32bit client, which I assume he's using. My guess is, in populated areas more memory is required so the engine is swapping like crazy... which will account for the FPS instability.

I'm getting that FPS instability too, and obviously lag will be an additional issue as-well.

I don't think his CPU is a factor, because as he said, lag/fps becomes an issue when a player is nearby. Even in the wild I've experienced this myself whenever another player or two is present... lag spikes. If his CPU was bad, the overall experience would have been bad... not only with plyers around because all calculations gets done on the servers. Its basically the same issue that plagues Cyrodiil, its not communication issues between client and server, but rather the server that is having a hard time calculating the effect players might have on each other and the environment. That's unless the server floods the network with data when more players are around.

I'd go with insane amount of calculations happening on the servers.

His hardware may be a factor, but not overwhelmingly so, because mine isn't cutting edge aswell... not that being cutting edge gives you that much of a better experience.

i5, 760, 95w (2.8Ghz)
    NV 460 GTX (SLI)
    8GB RAM

TL;DR:
    I'd say the FPS instability is a memory issue. (4GB, no-matter how you look at it... 32bit/64bit aside)
    Doubtful if his CPU is a factor, because processing is server-side.

PS: Thinking I should apply for CS @ ZOS. :neutral:
    Edited by Korax on May 26, 2016 11:53AM
  • Chori
    Chori
    ✭✭✭✭
    Run a client repair and let us know how that went after it
    EP NA-PC - Invictus - Odem Mortis
    1. Stamina NB Cat - ChoriB'Good
    2. Magicka NB High Elf - Lîndara
    3. Stam Sorc High Elf - Lindara Moonlight
    4. Red Guard Stamina DK - Chorî
    5. Red Guard Stamina Templar - Choripaninikinnie