Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Power Surge vs Bound Aegis

Dond006
Dond006
✭✭
Can someone explain to me why everybody seems to prefer 8% more magicka and minor resistance vs 20% more damage and heals when you crit.
AND : power surge just take one slot (you have to swap...ok) while Boud Aegis takes 2.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who uses bound aegis?
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Dond006
    Dond006
    ✭✭
    exactly ! ;)

In fact, lots of good players, but I really don't get why they don't replace it by power surge. Is it just because it is a "passive" skill ?
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do for max magicka. Though I will say the 8% magicka can only come from that source, it cannot be artificially induced like major sorcery (ie- potions).

That said, I use both. Max magicka makes me hit harder and my ward has more defense.
    Edited by DocFrost72 on April 29, 2016 2:27PM
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who exactly uses bound aegis? In what scenario do they use it? Who are these good players?
    PS4 EU DC

• Dond006
    Dond006
    ✭✭
    The Yolo Wizard
    Deltia's gaming
    Dymence

In PVE for upping the DPS
  • Dond006
    Dond006
    ✭✭
    Ok
    DocFrost72 wrote: »
    I do for max magicka. Though I will say the 8% magicka can only come from that source, it cannot be artificially induced like major sorcery (ie- potions).

That said, I use both. Max magicka makes me hit harder and my ward has more defense.

Ok, now I guess I understand, you mean the 20% damage bonus that power surge gives me can be given by a potion. Not the 8% max magicka.....At last someone came to rescue me ! Thanks a lot ! <3
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just every DD builds in PvE, because MOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR magicka and MOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR damage, and 'cause they use pots or are friends with a DK neighbourhood using Molten/Igneous.

In PvP, it's meh at best.
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dond006 wrote: »
    The Yolo Wizard
    Deltia's gaming
    Dymence

In PVE for upping the DPS

Well if their doing pledges or something they may be using entropy for the major sorcery buff ( the 20%), If their dps then yeah the 8% max magicka would be nice added dmg.

Also if their in a pledge/trial with a magicka dk then they don't need to slot their own magicka sorcery buff the magicka dk will do that for them.

PS4 EU DC

• lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are potions that provide the same buff as surge, but there is no potion that increases your max magicka. So if you can afford using potions on cooldown and trust in your healer, then aegis is better than surge.
  • Dond006
    Dond006
    ✭✭
    Thanks a lot !
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also entropy provides the same buff as surge, some go with entropy instead, for slightly more dps in PvP.

Wards and Pes scale only to max magicka, more magicka therefore means more damage and more survivability.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do you think it's a this or that choice? surely the two can compliment each other as they do different things...

Most builds I've seen use Aegis for the boosted pool & knock on damage and then buffing with either Entropy / Surge or potions for Major Sorcery.

And why would Aegis take two slots? Surely you can surge on back bar to buff, then Aegis in front bar for the 8% (just need to toggle it back on)
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Jsmalls
    Jsmalls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can someone explain to me why everybody seems to prefer 8% more magicka and minor resistance vs 20% more damage and heals when you crit.
    AND : power surge just take one slot (you have to swap...ok) while Boud Aegis takes 2.

A good PvE DPS Sorc uses both, if they don't replace surge with potions.
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You're all wrong. Surge on back bar and overload bar, dump out aegis on front bar for elemental drain, debuff is far better than 8%, on your back / sword bar change out aegis to proxy.

So in vma terms, portals appear, buff up, proxy and LL down, staff out, drain out and burn them all. Far superior to Internet fan boy builds. Dropped my VMA times down by 10mins.

Surge is also your healing method too BTW.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Bulljoker
    Bulljoker
    ✭✭✭
    inner light is only giving 5% so bound aegis might be better
    PC EU
    EP - Bull the Ironbreaker - MagDK
    EP - They-renamed-me - MagBlade
    AD - Friendly in Cherno - StamSorc
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run both in my normal pve set-up. Surge can be replaced with a potion, yes, except for the crit-heals bit which is extremely useful.

And as others have said, Bound Aegis does increase your damage. Take a look at the tooltip on one of your damage abilities without Aegis activated, then activate Aegis and take a look again. You should notice the damage numbers have risen :).
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For sorc pve dps inner light and bound aegis are both really useful because it buffs max magicka by 15%, 2% magicka regen and gives major spell crit.

Surge is not really needed if you run spell power pots or if a DK casts Molten Weapons.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As others have said... they are totally different things,,,, you're comparing apples to oranges.

All top sorc dps builds will have Bound Aegis. 8% extra magicka and 2% spell damage is too hard to pas sup. The extra resistances along with the health & stamina regen passive is just a bonus.

All builds will also run the major sorcery buff... whether they get it with Surge, Entropy, or spell power potions....

So you need both in some form... but surge can be substituted for entropy or potions. Personally I like surge though.... an extra 2% spell damage as well... and the heals are nice in all PvE settings..
    GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can get major sorcery from potions or a dk. They have the sorcery buff active, only not from their class skills.
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Question related to this, power surge's heal. Is that 40% of the additional Crit damage you did? Or total attack?

I.e. If my attack does 10 damage, crits for 15, do I get healed foe 2.5 or 7.5?

Thanks
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beardimus wrote: »
    Question related to this, power surge's heal. Is that 40% of the additional Crit damage you did? Or total attack?

I.e. If my attack does 10 damage, crits for 15, do I get healed foe 2.5 or 7.5?

Thanks

A quick test shows its for the latter/larger amount. I crit for 4300 and was healed for 1720 (0.4 * 4300 = 1720).
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • Dond006
    Dond006
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys.

My bars for the moment :smile:

Destruction staff:
    Force pulse - Bound Aegis - CFrag - Inner light - Elemental blockage - Greater Atronach

Dual wields
    Liquid lightning - Bound Aegis - Hardened Ward (can t always count on healers, or I would go Mages wrath) - Inner light - Power Surge - Energy Overload

Ultimate bar :
    Same as DW

Any suggestions ?
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bars very similar to my setup, not many people run inner light and bound ageis on both, I do for the Mag pool but most advisors on here don't seem to like them and I'm sure will comment.

Vel Curse is good for a timed burst damage and DK can't reflect

Ults - I used atronach when I leveled but moved it to meteor for PvP but now run OL on both and wait for a full charge, but I'm a PvP Noober really. Ha

And cheers @Reorx_Holybeard good to know.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Alts - - for the Lolz

Xbox One | NA | EP
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thanks guys.

My bars for the moment :smile:

Destruction staff:
    Force pulse - Bound Aegis - CFrag - Inner light - Elemental blockage - Greater Atronach

Dual wields
    Liquid lightning - Bound Aegis - Hardened Ward (can t always count on healers, or I would go Mages wrath) - Inner light - Power Surge - Energy Overload

Ultimate bar :
    Same as DW

Any suggestions ?

Use elemental drain over bound aegis on staff bar.. The 8% is nothing compared to a major debuff. Keep it on swords though for overload.

I keep ward on staff bar, better than switching bars with this crap lag and dying and use proxy or LL.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Dond006
    Dond006
    ✭✭
    "Use elemental drain over bound aegis on staff bar.. The 8% is nothing compared to a major debuff. Keep it on swords though for overload. "

Yes but someone said the Ward depends on max magicka so.....and it would be one more sorcerer skill replaced by something else...not good for the passives ?....

Maybe I sould replace Elemental blockade by the Drain....too bad, I really love it.

• Dond006
    Dond006
    ✭✭
    But replacing Elemental blockade by Elemental Drain could be a good idea as I often aggro too many mobs with the AOes (especially when the tank....doesn t tank).
  • Dond006
    Dond006
    ✭✭
    "Ults - I used atronach when I leveled but moved it to meteor for PvP but now run OL on both and wait for a full charge, but I'm a PvP Noober really. Ha "

I will also (mostly played PVP in the past on WOW and I'm a Battlefield (1-2-3-4) veteran ^^).
    But for now I do the PVE content, my bars will be completly different I think for PVP.

• failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    -.- I levelled up all my survival skills in case I should do group content and have to compensate for whatever the tank or healer don't do. It just helps, if I play with my sorc or templar and I can pull through a dungeon that I would normally struggle in without proper support.
  • greylox
    greylox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both, I swap between structured entropy and surge depending if I need more heals (entropy+pet pve, surge pvp, swap out liquid (pve) for drain) but unless I'm running clannfear I'll have bound aegis and innerlight.
    Edited by greylox on May 4, 2016 8:49PM
    PC EU

House of the Black Lotus
    *{Smokes-in-the-Shade }* (Mag pet Sorc Argonian, prolific thief, willing participant of the dark arts, gardener of exotic...herbs)
    {Lugdum The Mechanist} (Hybrid Orc Templar, collector of ancient Ayleid smoking pipes)
    {Rantoul} (Dark Elf Magknight, likes an ale between boss fights, has been known to offer daedric princes out in a fist fight)
    {Red, The Wanderer} (Bosmer stam sorc and hunter extraordinaire)
    {Shoots-For-Stars} (Argonian Mag pet Sorc Ice mage Healer)
    *{Jinny the spark }* (Sassy Imperial Stamplar)
    {Crezzi the Drifter} (Magblade khajiit burglar, available for questionable operations)
    {Grif the Despised} (StamKnight Tank Nord, Eastmarch Master Drinker and spinner of tall yarns)
    {Geraldine Stone-Heart} (High Elf MagSorc Ice Tank, Mystic, practitioner of the ancient arts)
    *{Anawinn}* (Stam pet Ward Redguard, Mother to a bear and an unruly Hunger,Librarian, field medic and natures fist)

{*}Mains
    { CP 900+ }

Caretaker of Battle Island (Grand Topal), the holiday destination for the discerning warrior
    Residing in Stay-Moist Mansion-Shadowfen - The Smoking Den (as of 6th feb 2017)