Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Trying to choose between pet sorc and mag templar for solo

sutasafaia
I've been reading a ton of stuff on the forums (reddit, eso, and various others) and the two classes that always seem to get mentioned are sorc and templar, particularly a magicka templar and summoner sorc. I've asked on reddit before to get some opinions, but of course after a couple days the post goes to oblivion, so now that I've got more info I figure I'll ask again on another site with some more specific things.

1: I am ignoring PvP entirely. I do not intend to ever do it outside of getting some skills, so don't care if the build is terrible at it.
2: I am also ignoring grouping with the character. Or, rather, I am not going to build for groups in mind at all, I want the better soloer. I will make a grouper once my friends join to level with them, but this is not that character. Pure PvE solo.
3: I've seen posts that say both setups can solo group vet content but they tend to be 6+ months in age, is either setup currently better for this?
4: Building on #2, which would you say is better at soloing things not really meant to be solo'd? Again, I've seen posts for both but they are fairly old. I want to be able to take on everything that I can possible do. If I can walk into an instance alone, I want to be able to solo it (assuming it's possible, of course. Not asking for the impossible). This would include trying to solo vet group things and trial bosses.
5: Relevant to #2, although I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one: In the event I wanted to use my soloer in a group, the templar is better. Yes?

Long story short, I plan to group later with a second character, but I want this one to be the best soloer I can play. Links to builds, or any info, would be hugely appreciated. This game is confusing as heck right now since I'm still new and don't know how all the systems work. Particularly important:

Best races: I've seen high elf and breton for templar, and high elf for sorc. At least for the two builds I'm looking at right now. Is this still accurate?
Weapon: Neither seem to use weapon skills at all, only passives. Both seem to look for dual wielding passives later on, and both seem to use resto staves early for the uber laser? Is the laser better than destro staves?
Armor: Sorc is all light, templar seems to be all light except 2 heavy pieces? Why is that, exactly? Is that still accurate.
I've seen end-game builds for both (but again, out of date) but never any advice for skills to take for leveling. Advice here is also appreciated.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling now. Trying to pick between these two characters is driving me so crazy I can't even enjoy the game. Silly, yes, but it's just how I am. Going in blind frustrates me too much to focus on the fun. Heck, if you think a third class option is even MORE viable for soloing anything/everything, have at it.

For some more info as well, which class do you think will survive nerfing better? I've been told that some of the upcoming changes to sorc will make their high end soloing suffer, which would likely push templar a bit ahead. But with future nerfs, rebalance, etc, which do you think would be able to take the hits better, so to speak, and keep on going? Obviously end-game is a long way away for somebody who just started, and high end soloing is even farther, but I really do want to at least know I'm working towards it with the best soloer I can get. I've re-rolled about half a dozen chars in the last three days since I started (so many wasted recipes...) and I would actually like to play some and make a tiny bit of progress.
  • Mysticman
    Mysticman
    ✭✭✭
    http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/1-6-6-the-unholy-herdsman-thelons-pet-build/
    Keep in mind that the shields nerf coming in DB will hurt all pet builds.
  • sutasafaia
    Yea, deadric shepherd and unholy herdsman are the two pet builds I've been looking at, haven't had a specific one for templar yet. It just seems so hard to think that a class can facetank group bosses that are meant for multiple players without any support. That was the reason I always looked to pet classes normally, since you could have a pet face tank while you supported it.

This game is making my decision far more difficult. Not that that's a bad thing in and of itself, but I can never have fun with games until I'm sure I'm playing the right class for soloing. For me, grouping is casual fun, high end soloing is my hardcore fun.
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You don't hear a lot about magblades. Mainly because up until just a patch or two ago they weren't all that great. But with recent balancing changes I wouldn't count them out as a #1 contender for an endgame solo build.
    Edited by Cuyler on April 29, 2016 6:47PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love your passion for soloing. My build will not disappoint you.
    Mysticman wrote: »
    Keep in mind that the shields nerf coming in DB will hurt all pet builds.

If you watch some of my most difficult solos (Valkyn Skoria, Praxin, High Kinlord Rilis, etc.) you'll notice that I'm almost always refreshing my shields within 6 secs or less, either for my own survivability or for that of my pets.
  • Americanfunguy
    Americanfunguy
    ✭✭✭
    I''m with @cuyler on this one, btw hi cuyler. Since I started up my magblade I've never had more fun soloing in this game (I have 5 vr16s). Depending on personal prefrences, race, and skill levels you can solo quite a bit of content with ease (I've taken out IC banners and overworld bosses, while being ganked).

All in all I would high suggest a magicka nightblade.
    Flawless Conqueror 6 times over.
    All HM clears and PvE titles - Angler.
    PvP all factions.
  • HxC
    HxC
    ✭✭✭
    1. Most Solo build work fine in PvP, not the best but good enough to not get crush all time
    2. Most solo build work fine in PvE group content, just not the best
    3. Still possible but good knowledge of encounters is required
    4. First craglorn to warm up, (you can do 95% of craglorn solo), then Wrothgar and hew bane world bosses; IC Bosses, a lot of silver and gold dungeons. There is only few places that can't be soloed only because of special dungeon mechanics. And Veteran Maelstrom arena of course, it should be your main training center :)
    5. Templar is easier , as templar are very good on every role.

My main advice is to play the character you want as you can solo thing with every class, most important is to be a good player
    and enjoying the character you play. It will take hundred of hours to solo everything, lot of try and theorycrafting to adapt your build and strategies to what you are facing.

Good Luck
    "You call these baubles, well, it is with baubles that men are led… Do you think that you would be able to make men fight by reasoning? Never. That is good only for the scholar in his study. The soldier needs glory, distinctions, rewards." (Napoleon Bonaparte)
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gonna throw my hat in the ring, it's a solo end game sorc build. Has beat veteran dungeons solo. And wont be effected by the change to ward.

The the Daedric Shepherd and the link is in signature
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Pets" for the Sorc are really good at distracting mobs so you take less attention and thus less hits so you survive longer. The morph of the Twilight is especially good cause it heals you for a big chunk if your health falls low enouh.

On the other hand, i am LOVING my Templar. Its a beautiful ranged class which i prefer, and it also has self heals that dont require a restoration staff.

However, id probably recommend going Sorcerer, just because of Hardened Ward. Thats a great damage shield.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • sutasafaia
    Thanks for all the replies so far, just haven't been sure how to respond to any of them. Obviously beign new means I have zero experience to weight any of the opinions against, hence why I've been researching for days, finding videos, guides, forum posts, etc. So far the two pet builds mentioned in this thread are both builds I've been looking at, and I still haven't really seen any up to date templar guides (although sweep seems to be the majority of the builds...sweep sweep sweep heals).

I still think it's a good thing that the game seems to be balanced well enough for people to be able to recommend different classes as "best" but it certainly doesn't make picking one any easier. Statistically there has to be a best, right? No such thing as perfect balance, but of course balance changed constantly with patches, updates, expansions, etc.

I guess at this point it might be worth also considering which setup (templar vs pets) would survive nerfs better. If both specs were smacked with the hammer, which would remain more viable? Not an easy thing to answer since it's not like you can ever know just how big a hammer it could be.

Of course this is just another layer of things to think about on top of everything else. Kind of wish I could just play a game but without a plan I can never manage to have fun, I just worry the whole time I'm playing if I've picked correctly, then go back for days to research again, rinse and repeat for a couple weeks until I give up on the game out of sheer frustration at my inability to pick. Stupid, maybe, but...what can you do? It's a personality quirk.

I also tend to type a lot without meaning to, so I'll stop now. Thanks for the ideas, any more advice is massively appreciated.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sutasafaia wrote: »
    I still think it's a good thing that the game seems to be balanced well enough

Ooh boy, give it time, you'll eventually understand the community's feelings toward that.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • sutasafaia
    Oh I'm sure I will, but at least it seems like a good thing for now while the game is still fresh and new to me. Now if I could just figure out which to play T_T
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @sutasafaia i gotta agree with you (gasp!) Imo end game specs feel pretty balanced.

Im gonna say, imo, the,next update stam temps will be looking really good. If you decide to PvP, I'd suggest temp (if ur stuck between sorc and temp) just outta sheer variety.

I keep trying to make new sorc builds. Some just ain't viable. Atm tryin a Sorc Pet PvP build (obviously small scale) using heavy armor resto staff. Hey I'm trying.
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • sutasafaia
    Fortunately (or not, depending on your pov I guess) I have zero interest in PvP so that lets me focus my characters skills, gear, etc for PvE without having to try and branch into both. I've tried getting both the sorc and templar out of the tutorial zone ~4 times each now (so many recipes wasted on chars that got deleted/shelved until deletion) and while that's obviously got nothing to do with how they perform end-game, it's certainly still frustrating me. At this point I have them just sitting in the first city, unsure of who to play, and I can't enjoy playing if I'm unsure who to play, so I don't play...which is sad. I want to play. But I don't know who to play >_<
  • Frawr
    Frawr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eso is specifically designed so that you can be successful with almost any build in solo pve.

You sound as though you're just sitting on the fence and not making a decision. We can't decide that for you. You're trying to use a crystal ball.

Just pick one and start questing. Stop worrying about making a wrong choice. There are very few bad choices for solo pve.

Pick some skills and off you go. Read the tool tips to decide what you want to do. That will suffice for solo pve.

In the long term, once you know what you're doing, you can go from 1 - 50 in less than 12 hours.

So there's really no risk of making a bad choice.
    Edited by Frawr on April 30, 2016 6:40AM
  • sutasafaia
    While I do agree with you, figuring out which would suit my needs better is still going to bother me. I have a habit of massively over-planning things, but if I don't at least try to plan things out then I tend to lack the ability to actually enjoy myself. Except when I over-plan, I go nuts and can't enjoy myself. Kind of a stupid place to be caught, huh?

The main reason I tend towards pet classes is they let you bypass mechanics, generally allowing easier soloing. You can fight bosses that are meant for groups because you have a pet to tank the damage for you while you support the pet. This generally lets you get around all sorts of things you shouldn't be able to do when soloing.

But there's a lot of support for magic templar also, and some think it solo's even better than the pet class. I don't personally see how that would work since it's just you alone with nothing to absorb damage (that is meant for an entire group) except your own face, but they can apparently heal back and then some. So maybe templar is better?

For general PvE I would completely agree with you that any class could do it. I tend to focus on higher end stuff though, stuff normally you aren't supposed to solo. You're right, in some ways I'm asking for a crystal ball, which is impossible. Not asking for people to make my choice for me though, I like to gather as much info as possible and then base my decision on that, and when people have more experience than me it means relying on people who have played the game at the level I'm looking for. It's not a perfect solution, nothing ever is, but it's what I tend to do.

Out of the last few days I've been hunting, almost every recommendation comes down to magicka templar and pet sorcerer. The problem is choosing between those. I'm leaning towards pets, but all I see is doom and gloom for sorc and people bemoaning the patch. Since I have no experience with the game, I have no idea how bad the patch is actually going to hit sorcerers, so again I have to rely on those with experience. I enjoy both but I want to focus on one or the other, at least until I get some actual progress into the game.

Sorry if the post is long, I'm trying to explain myself as best I can and it's really hard to get my thoughts on paper sometimes, so to speak.
  • STEVIL
    STEVIL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I played both and found both viable.

I would not be concerned about the shields duration cut.

Considering myself shifting to more resistance based def strategy and using clanfear heal and purge heal as basically fill in for shields. They do less numerically but since shields got no mitigation and heslth loss does i dont think its that far off.
    Of course, can add shield for key moments when nec.

Proudly skooma free while talks-when-drunk is in mandatory public housing.
    YFMV Your Fun May Vary.

First Law of Nerf-o-Dynamics
    "The good way I used to get good kills *with good skill* was good but the way others kill me now is bad."

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I do agree with you, figuring out which would suit my needs better is still going to bother me. I have a habit of massively over-planning things, but if I don't at least try to plan things out then I tend to lack the ability to actually enjoy myself. Except when I over-plan, I go nuts and can't enjoy myself. Kind of a stupid place to be caught, huh?

The main reason I tend towards pet classes is they let you bypass mechanics, generally allowing easier soloing. You can fight bosses that are meant for groups because you have a pet to tank the damage for you while you support the pet. This generally lets you get around all sorts of things you shouldn't be able to do when soloing.

But there's a lot of support for magic templar also, and some think it solo's even better than the pet class. I don't personally see how that would work since it's just you alone with nothing to absorb damage (that is meant for an entire group) except your own face, but they can apparently heal back and then some. So maybe templar is better?

For general PvE I would completely agree with you that any class could do it. I tend to focus on higher end stuff though, stuff normally you aren't supposed to solo. You're right, in some ways I'm asking for a crystal ball, which is impossible. Not asking for people to make my choice for me though, I like to gather as much info as possible and then base my decision on that, and when people have more experience than me it means relying on people who have played the game at the level I'm looking for. It's not a perfect solution, nothing ever is, but it's what I tend to do.

Out of the last few days I've been hunting, almost every recommendation comes down to magicka templar and pet sorcerer. The problem is choosing between those. I'm leaning towards pets, but all I see is doom and gloom for sorc and people bemoaning the patch. Since I have no experience with the game, I have no idea how bad the patch is actually going to hit sorcerers, so again I have to rely on those with experience. I enjoy both but I want to focus on one or the other, at least until I get some actual progress into the game.

Sorry if the post is long, I'm trying to explain myself as best I can and it's really hard to get my thoughts on paper sometimes, so to speak.

Ok, the shield stuff is about vMA the hardest PvE content, and PvP. It matter in vMA because the absolute perfection required for a sorc to make the leaderboards. In PvP,because 90% of the sorcs out there ran 3 shields on their back bar, and now that is no longer viable.

Sorcs like myself are not being changed at all. I hit ward around every 5 secs in PvE to trigger trinimac, and in PvP, guaranteed every two hits will take out a single ward. My builds never stacked shields and usually have hardened on each bar so I'm not hampered.

So, basically if you are not concerned with PvP don't worry about the changes for Sorcs.
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • sutasafaia
    That's good to know. I guess I only have two problems left now, which are much simpler to solve I think.

1: Race. Breton and Altmer are the obvious choice, but which one...

2: Which weapon to work on? Obviously 1st is either destro or resto staff, but not sure which one. The extra dps and knockback from fire destro is good, the aoe heal from resto on heavy attacks sounds good for pets, not to mention having a heal might be nice. Not sure which to go with first. 15 sounds like dual wield, or possibly the other staff so I can have both staves. I don't have enough experience with the game to know the best route for this.

Other than that, I think I'm going to play pets. Just need to somehow figure these two out =/
    Edited by sutasafaia on April 30, 2016 10:21PM
  • Frawr
    Frawr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's good to know. I guess I only have two problems left now, which are much simpler to solve I think.

1: Race. Breton and Altmer are the obvious choice, but which one...

2: Which weapon to work on? Obviously 1st is either destro or resto staff, but not sure which one. The extra dps and knockback from fire destro is good, the aoe heal from resto on heavy attacks sounds good for pets, not to mention having a heal might be nice. Not sure which to go with first. 15 sounds like dual wield, or possibly the other staff so I can have both staves. I don't have enough experience with the game to know the best route for this.

Other than that, I think I'm going to play pets. Just need to somehow figure these two out =/

You can use both from level 15. Getting to level 16 will be quicker with destro.

It's not particularly hard with either but destro gives more bang.

• sutasafaia
    So I'm free to pick whichever staff I want, or both? Sounds good to me. I know dual wield is apparently also important, maybe I'll squeeze that in there as well if it doesn't get too tedious.

Definitely think I'll be using Breton, I like the reduction/defense vs regen/dps.

Now I just need to pick between Waffennacht and Thalons pet builds to start aiming towards. Of course I'll have all the skills eventually but points are a bit costly at lower levels and they both use different powers...
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My build is very gear oriented, trinimac x5 in good traits isn't a fast process. Thelon uses all crafted armor except monster helms, and you can replace the helms.

Thelon takes the traditional dps route while using pets for augmentation. My build uses pets for dps and high burst.

I'd suggest just using the builds as guidelines and make what you like best.

Thelon uses the clannfear because it's tankier. I use familiar because with resto staff and trinimac my pets die far more rarely.

Go with what you feel comfortable with :)
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Both are great for what you want to do. IMO, magicka templars are the most versatile, but sorc is more fast-paced.
  • Averya_Teira
    Averya_Teira
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magplar is simple. Spam puncturing sweep and never die and watch stuff drop all around you. The end.
  • AlphaCrucis
    AlphaCrucis
    ✭✭✭
    I've just recently got back into the game and all of my friends have left, so like yourself i wanted to build a purely solo PvE toon. I went for a magika sorcerer pet build and have never looked back, it's awesome! So far i have been able to do all content (world bosses, delves, public dungeons, etc solo).

I went Breton for magika sustain and spell/physical resistance, with 2 destruction staffs. I am wearing all light armour, 5 piece Seducer, 3 piece Magnus Gift.

I have leveld up both Daedric Summoning and Storm Calling.
    On bar one i use

Destruction Staff
    Unstoppable Clannfear (for heal)
    Twilight Tormentor
    Bond Armor
    Velocious Curse (I'll drop this when i unlock Conjured Ward)
    Boundless Storm
    Ult Greater Storm Atronach

Bar 2 (i use this set up because it's fun)
    Destruction Staff

Crystal Blast
    Mages Fury
    Boundless Storm
    Liquid Lightning
    Element Blockade

I hope this has helped, like i said this is purley for PvE and I've only just started off (level 26).
    Good luck
    Edited by AlphaCrucis on May 1, 2016 8:45PM
    Australian, Aldmeri Dominion
    Altmer, Dragonknight (mag), Damage Dealer
    Brenton, Templar, Healer
    Bosmer, Nightblade (stam), Damage Dealer, PvP
    PS4, NA Server
    Guild Member Of: Brotherhood of Bogans
  • sutasafaia
    So instead of creating a whole new thread, seems better to bump this one.

I've been messing with both the magplar and summoner sorc, still unsure which to focus on more, although I've dumped ~40,000g into the magplar so far. May not be much in the long game but it's a ton to a new players...

Anyway, some questions:

For the pet sorc, how do you get the pets to keep aggro? It seems like, even if you send the pet in first, only one enemy attacks it, the rest come straight at you. Is that normal? Is there a way to get the pet to take the hate? Even the Clannfear seems to only hold one enemy at a time.

For the Magplar, I see tons of references to puncturing sweep being cheap and you always being at full health but that hasn't been my experience at all. You can use it about 6 times before you're out of magicka (granted im only 12) and you have to choose between spear and heals for magicka use. Yea, harder to kill you, but the idea of always being topped off doesn't seem to work at low levels. It's still easier to level than my sorc so far though.

Both are fun, still unsure about long term though. I almost feel shoehorned in to focusing more on the templar now though since I've dumped so much gold into them, but if the sorc will be better in the long run...

Sorc feels a little clunkier to play than the templar, but of course sorc has less to worry about as far as dodging/blocking with pets.

I get that I can play both but the time/gold investment is simply not practical to have two at once, at least right now. I'm really torn on which to do still.
    Edited by sutasafaia on May 7, 2016 8:33PM
  • AlphaCrucis
    AlphaCrucis
    ✭✭✭
    I've just recently got back into the game and all of my friends have left, so like yourself i wanted to build a purely solo PvE toon. I went for a magika sorcerer pet build and have never looked back, it's awesome! So far i have been able to do all content (world bosses, delves, public dungeons, etc solo).

I went Breton for magika sustain and spell/physical resistance, with 2 destruction staffs. I am wearing all light armour, 5 piece Seducer, 3 piece Magnus Gift.

I have leveld up both Daedric Summoning and Storm Calling.
    On bar one i use

Destruction Staff
    Unstoppable Clannfear (for heal)
    Twilight Tormentor
    Bond Armor
    Velocious Curse (I'll drop this when i unlock Conjured Ward)
    Boundless Storm

Bar 2 (i use this set up because it's fun)
    Destruction Staff

Crystal Blast
    Mages Fury
    Boundless Storm
    Liquid Lightning
    Element Blockade

I hope this has helped, like i said this is purley for PvE and I've only just started off (level 26).
    Good luck

^^^
    After posting this i started a mage templer, the above still stands. If you want to solo, imo, scorc pet build is the way to go.

It is so much easier going through the content with summonings by your side, the sustain in magika is unreal (because you have summons you don't have to cast as often). I found with the templer it's harder to sustain magika when you are trying to cast killing abilities and healing yourself at the same time.

As far as aggroing mobs go, unfortunately the pets won't but they definitely help with at least 1 npc while you can concentrate on killing the others, so it is still a good thing.

The only thing i would have changed in my build would have been going an Altmer instead of Breton. (I didn't read the passivies clearly for Altmer) Breton is still good though.

But in the end i guess it comes down to how and what you want to play as, and what type of content you are playing/aiming for in the end
    Edited by AlphaCrucis on May 7, 2016 11:42PM
    Australian, Aldmeri Dominion
    Altmer, Dragonknight (mag), Damage Dealer
    Brenton, Templar, Healer
    Bosmer, Nightblade (stam), Damage Dealer, PvP
    PS4, NA Server
    Guild Member Of: Brotherhood of Bogans
  • paulmapp8306
    Ill chip in hear - but not much experience. Been playing a couple of weeks, am solely PvE and went Breton Sorcerer, Pet build.

Currently sat at Lv 20 - so no ward yet.....

My bars are:

Bar 1 - Destro

1 Unstable Clanfear - to tank (and have his heal if I need)
    2 Twilight Matriarch - again adds heal
    3. Destructive Clench - I like this as with a frost staff, it emobilizes most enemies for 6.6 seconds. This means with multiple enemies - I can stop the onrush of those that dont go for the Clanfear, and means I can focus on one at a time.
    4. Lightning Splash (havend deciden which morph yet). I hit enemies emobilized with clenth straigh away with this - so 6 seconds of continuous damage.
    5. Crushing Shock - all 3 elemental damage, and low cost for spamming

Ultimate is Overload.

Bar 1 - DW (only for more damage if an enemy get in my face)

1. Unstable Clanfear
    2. Twilight Matriarch

Both so I keep them alive

3. Crystal Fragments - long distance high damage spell.
    4. Boundless Storm - as close to a shield as I can get at present, plus extra speed to escape close enemies
    5. Endless Fury - low cost spammable, and a great finishing spell with extra damage to low health enemies

Ultimate is Overload again. I have this because when I morph it - attacks will restore magika.

Overload also gives a 3rd bar. On this I have:

1&2 Both pets again
    3. Boundless storm for the shield
    4. Endless fury for the finishing
    5. Velocious Cures - another quite high damage spell - and I liked it early on. Useful to hit a close enemy with for pure damage.

So far its working well for me and is quite balanced. I cant decide what to sacrifice when I get Ward though. Might be one of the pets, but could get rid of crushing shock from bar 1, and boundless storm from 2&3 as ward will provide the shield.

Im also contemplating Impulse. That would definitely replace Boundless storm on 2&3 - meaning Id only have ward on one bar (which I dont mind at present), or would have to sacrifice either the damage (crystal fragments) or finishing (endless fury).

I really want 6 spells per bar.......but Im not good at decisions between things I like.

Edited by paulmapp8306 on May 11, 2016 4:22PM
  • Vrathak
    Vrathak
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to be able to solo stuff.. You can check out my old NB vidéos on YouTube. The image quality isnt very good but it will give you a good idea of what can solo stuff.

Search for eso vrathak solo. This NB can solo group Dungeons meant for 4 players faster than a group of 4 players. Starting as low as lvl 10. And with the changes that happened since, its even stronger now.

I also am actually working on my very own pet sorc build and I will of course solo the Dungeons starting level 10 with it too. Send me a mail in game @Vrathak if you want some help figuring things out.

Non-vet content is super easy, Vet is soloable, but is much much harder.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For the Magplar, I see tons of references to puncturing sweep being cheap and you always being at full health but that hasn't been my experience at all. You can use it about 6 times before you're out of magicka (granted im only 12) and you have to choose between spear and heals for magicka use.

Sorc feels a little clunkier to play than the templar, but of course sorc has less to worry about as far as dodging/blocking with pets.

Are you assigning your attribute points into magicka only, and using blue quality food? Is your templar also a Breton? These will help enormously. One thing to remember about sweeps is that it is an AoE. Try to gather up your enemies into a bunch and then jab them all. For the same magicka costs, you'll do a lot more damage than taking them on one at a time.

I think I leveled my templar with seducer/magnus and whatever best magicka and/or health jewelry I found. Zero problems running out of magicka, just the occasional looted magicka pot.

Sorcs take longer to get interesting, IMO. My sorc is like a jack russell... fast, excitable, unpredictable. My templar is like a rottweiler. Both fine dog breeds, but the rottweiler is going to grab your ankle, hold on and drag you down, where the terrier will jump around and attack in a dozen places.
  • Cryptical
    Cryptical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started a magicka Breton Templar a few days ago. Searching for a grind location, I visited hectahame as a level 17 and charged right in at a level 31 flesh atronach. I must have missed 5 out of every 6 attacks, so I was rolling and tumbling around like one of those circus acrobats, but I still took it down.

Mag templar is not a deficient choice.
    Xbox NA