The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Why is Overload a "semi-toggle?"

GrumpyDuckling
GrumpyDuckling
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Wouldn't it make more sense as a "normal" toggle so that it is either on/off?

In it's current "semi-toggle" state, sometimes Overload lasts for 5 minutes, while other times it runs out in a matter of seconds. It's unpredictable nature and my inability to tell when it's about to run out (I play on console, so we can't see percentages and either your ultimate appears full, or not) sometimes causes me to get caught with my pants down in the middle of combat - leading to very frustrating and disorienting combat situations.

Even if ZOS doesn't want to make Overload a "normal" toggle (for whatever reason), could we, at the very least, get some kind of indicator as to when this ability will run out? It looks foolish when my character goes from slinging lightning projectiles at an enemy from 15 meters away to swinging a sword wildly at the air because Overload ran out and I've been automatically switched to a Sword and Shield.

How is this "semi-toggle" mechanic fun for anyone? It's such a cool ultimate ability, but it's remarkably frustrating and inconsistent in it's current state.

• Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean by "normal" toggle? Overload works as long as you have ulti points. When you run out, it's over. You can't possibly have access to it 100% of time, that's not how ultimates work.
    And yes you guys BADLY need some sort of indicators there, can't imagine playing without seeing all those numbers ._. I'm afraid that's a UI problem though, not an Overload one.

The main issue with Overload is clunkiness and bugginess.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GrumpyDuckling Ultimate meters are in the DB patch notes for Consoles - so then you can see the 'charge'. I agree its vital.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Acsvf
    Acsvf
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure what you mean by "normal" and "semi" toggle. Every time you attack(light or heavy), your ultimate is decreased by 25. Ultimate stores up to 1000. You need at least 75 to activate Overload, but it doesn't actually cost any ultimate. When your ultimate reaches 0, it automatically switches back.
    I believe that the solution would be an indicator of current ultimate for consoles.
    @LightArray
    Lightarray Level 50 Dunmer Magicka Templar Healer

CP: 192

Add @Acsvf when quoting me to give me a notification!
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Acsvf wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean by "normal" and "semi" toggle. Every time you attack(light or heavy), your ultimate is decreased by 25. Ultimate stores up to 1000. You need at least 75 to activate Overload, but it doesn't actually cost any ultimate. When your ultimate reaches 0, it automatically switches back.
    I believe that the solution would be an indicator of current ultimate for consoles.

A "normal" toggle would be a toggle that is simply either on/off all the time (like Leeching Strikes). What I mean by saying that Overload is a "semi-toggle" is that although you can technically toggle it, there are conditions that will toggle it off automatically. So my point was either 1) make it a permanent toggle (like Leeching Strikes, for example) or 2) give us console players a meter that shows when Overload is about to run out.

The feedback so far shows that most players prefer giving console players a meter (and it appears that patch notes suggest such a solution may be coming). I'd be happy with that.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Acsvf wrote: »

A "normal" toggle would be a toggle that is simply either on/off all the time (like Leeching Strikes). What I mean by saying that Overload is a "semi-toggle" is that although you can technically toggle it, there are conditions that will toggle it off automatically. So my point was either 1) make it a permanent toggle (like Leeching Strikes, for example) or 2) give us console players a meter that shows when Overload is about to run out.

The feedback so far shows that most players prefer giving console players a meter (and it appears that patch notes suggest such a solution may be coming). I'd be happy with that.

Overload is an ultimate...you can't possibly always have it on. That'd be too OP. It's like if you were able to endlessly spam Meteor without needing to gain ulti for it? You can turn it off like a normal toggle though if you want(even if you have ultimate left).
    The meter is definitely needed though. Til then I suppose all you can do is try to memorize how much ulti you have - minimum ulti to turn Overload on is 64(with sorc Ulti cost reduction passive), max ulti possible is 1k. You could also use other more expensive ultimates to "measure" it, for example if you have Meteor on your other bar, that costs...what, 170 I think? So when your Meteor ulti bar fills you know you have 170+ ulti. Not much but you can kinda sorta deduce that if your Meteor bar has been full for 5 mins you probably have 1k ulti by now, and if your Meteor bar is half empty toggling OL on is kinda pointless because you'll run out of ultimate in like 3 attacks.