The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Different alliances for alts - bad idea?

Szarsded
Szarsded
Soul Shriven
So I just bought TESO and I'm wondering about creating alts on different alliances. I did quite some reading but I'm still not sure if it's almost obligatory to stay on one alliance (and maybe buy the adventurer's pack) or if different alliances are ultimately fine for me.
Specifically, I would like to know

-How big of a deal is not being able to chose the same campaign on different alliances? How important are campaigns?

-How annoying is not being able to play with guildmates from another alliance? I figure it would be fine to just find a guild for each alliance (if I actually actively played on each), but I don't know how much depends on having experience playing together etc.

-Do I still need to do all alliance's quest on each character anyway? I heard that was a thing with veteran ranks, which got reworked?

-Is there anything important to consider that I'm missing? If I understood correctly, you can still trade with you alts, communicate with your guildmates and do Dungeons together, but you can't pick the same campaign and PVP with your guildmates as friendlies.

Would love to hear any insights on this topics before I explore this great game further only to realize I should have stuck to one alliance :).
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The impact of having alts on different factions used to be significant. We now have cross-faction grouping for all PvE instanced content so it's not important anymore.

The major repercussion obviously is that you have to fight in the alliance war as your particular faction. Which many people make an Alt for each faction just to experience PvP from each side. I'd say go for it, if this is your thing.

The only downside is overland PvE can only be completed in a group of same alliance players. But with removal of VRs the overland PvE will be minimal, lvl1-50 plus CP grinding to 160CPs (i.e. max content scale)on your first toon only, then your other alts share your CP so only needed to do once. Yay Zeni!

All gear and materials can be traded to each alt through the bank.
    Edited by Cuyler on April 27, 2016 1:09PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • ForlornBeliever
    Szarsded wrote: »
    -How big of a deal is not being able to chose the same campaign on different alliances? How important are campaigns?
    If you're referring to PvP campaigns, then nothing really aside from the differences in how scoring works. It's the same area no matter what, just different focus.
    -How annoying is not being able to play with guildmates from another alliance? I figure it would be fine to just find a guild for each alliance (if I actually actively played on each), but I don't know how much depends on having experience playing together etc.
    This depends. You can play together in group dungeons but that's it. If you're looking to quest and explore together, it can be annoying for sure.
    -Do I still need to do all alliance's quest on each character anyway? I heard that was a thing with veteran ranks, which got reworked?
    Once you complete the main quest and main alliance quest on your character, you can explore the other alliance territories as well as do their main quests on that character(Cadwell's silver/gold)
    -Is there anything important to consider that I'm missing? If I understood correctly, you can still trade with you alts, communicate with your guildmates and do Dungeons together, but you can't pick the same campaign and PVP with your guildmates as friendlies.
    Your bank is shared with all your characters but you cannot send mail to them. Guilds have their own chat which allows you to talk to the other members regardless of alliance provided they're in guild chat and on the same channel. You can PvP with them even if you're in separate alliances and be friendly, but you can't do the PvP aspects together.
    Leader of the Bloodborne Rogues. Werewolf looking for a pack or want to be a werewolf? Or just looking for teammates to take on Tamriel's baddies? Feel free to message me if you have questions or are interested in joining. Xbox One/NA Server
  • DjSolJAH
    DjSolJAH
    ✭✭✭
    It is a terrible idea and will further destroy PvP. ZOS has made it ABUNDANTLY clear they don't care though... Being a new player that won't matter to you though especially if you are PvE based
    Edited by DjSolJAH on April 27, 2016 7:05PM
    Zee blues are coming!!!! Always.... Always coming...
  • Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people do not approve of this .
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like having alts in every alliance!

Molag Bal is the real enemy anyway, right?
    RIGHT?!?

:*
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't PvP so I will answer this question. I have an alt in all 3 alliances. I liked it as I could mix up the characters and play the game in such a way that each Silver and Gold instance was fresh, or fresh like anyway. I leveled all 4 at roughly the same time, but I would focus on one character for 5 or so zones before loading up another one and parking the first.

While you can cross faction group, you can't group up to help with every other quest in the game that allows multiple players unless your in the same alliance. So, if a guild mate/friend needs help, I can load up any alt in the needed alliance and go help them.

So, unless you just love one faction over the other one, have at least one character in each Alliance. Put more characters in your favorite or preferred alliance if you want to have different classes to PvP with.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Dracan_Fontom
    Dracan_Fontom
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only reason why I do not approve of this is my experience of players harassing their "so called friends" and making sure no one from the original Alliance is allowed to pass them up in leader boards. This is pvp btw.
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made one in each alliance so I can help out anyone and play alongside them as has been said before. I'm primarily in pve and I love it, don't regret doing it at all. If you like pvp it may be looked down upon, however.

- You can now pick the same campaign on different alliances, but I've kept my home campaign different on each anyway. People tend to think you're cheating and spying otherwise, I don't pvp much but still.
    - I have an alt in each so I can help anyone out in questing regardless of their alliance, I would find it annoying to be confined to one faction for this reason.
    - You can do all the alliance questlines on the same character, so if you're Pact you'll get to see what those who started in the Covenant and Dominion went through eventually etc.
    - You can be in the same dungeon as someone from another alliance. You may also group cross-faction outside of Cyrodiil however you will not be able to see each other.
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I've seen the only reason not to is that some PvP players don't like it because it may be possible to spy on an enemy alliance by logging into a character in that alliance. And some hard-core role-players don't like it because they see it as betraying your alliance.

I have characters in all the alliances, but my main ones are in the same alliance as my guild, my others are mainly for playing solo (and occasionally with pugs).
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It doesnt and didnt matter.I have had characters in all three factions throughout my two years playing ESO.It hasnt effected my gameplay at all.I dont understand it when people say you cant do that.Sure you can.
    Play each faction,cos the quests are different for each area,and when you finish the main questline,Cadwell asks you if you want to see how it is for others,and off you go to another faction anyway.
    (this is PvE,not PvP)
    Edited by Volkodav on April 30, 2016 9:52PM