Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

2 Types of Soul Gems?

N1K3
N1K3
✭✭✭
After making alternative characters and levelling I've come to think that there should only be 2 level type soul gems.

Soul Gem 1-49 (call it whatever)
Soul Gem V1-V16 (Grand Soul Gem)

Reason for this is when levelling character now days most players don't even stay on that same level range for that long so they surpass the previous soul gems to the next level tier. It becomes a waste of the previous soul gems because there's really no use for it anymore.

Selling to a merchant is not so much profitable at all or even if you're trying to list them on guild traders with the non vet soul gems, I can confidently say who would go for them over the Grand Soul Gem?
Edited by N1K3 on April 28, 2016 1:58PM
DC Imperial NightBlade
DC Orc DragonKnight
DC Breton Templar
DC High Elf Sorcerer
DC Dark Elf DragonKnight
DC Redgaurd Templar
EP Breton NightBlade
AD Khajiit Sorcerer
  • JuZ
    JuZ
    ✭✭
    I have characters spread over a wide range of levels so the unused ones get passed down the chain.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh just have one soul gem and be done with it. Currently you get a decent amount of Grand Soul Gems if you do random dungeon finder as it all scales to VR16 so the after mail reward gives you Grand Soul Gems. Do that everyday, keep your deaths low and you'll be flooded with them. Every character has a full stack of 200, I have an excess of 2 stacks, going on 3 atm.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can also use the lower level soul gems to charge your weapons, instead of one level 30 soul gem charging a level 30 weapon, you can use several level 20 soul gems. That is what I did with mine as I progressed.

I have never minded having the different level gems but they soon become redundant and irrelevant once you start doing the undaunted quests and random dailies.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they should just have one,

as in pvp no matter what level you are only grand souls gems work to revive...
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• N1K3
    N1K3
    ✭✭✭
    JuZ wrote: »
    I have characters spread over a wide range of levels so the unused ones get passed down the chain.

That is a good idea if you are constantly making new characters, in saying that if you hardly ever die with your newbies now since most people kinda learnt the game play for PVE after a few characters. So in the end it will still stack up and if all other characters are already higher level it be useless unless you make a new character again.
    Eh just have one soul gem and be done with it. Currently you get a decent amount of Grand Soul Gems if you do random dungeon finder as it all scales to VR16 so the after mail reward gives you Grand Soul Gems. Do that everyday, keep your deaths low and you'll be flooded with them. Every character has a full stack of 200, I have an excess of 2 stacks, going on 3 atm.

That is true, acquiring Grand Soul Gems now days are very easy to come by. I've also have a few full stacks of them which is always useful for anything you do but then I also have these lower level gems as well from leveling my lowbies and because now days people can easily power level (which probably everyone does with ALTS now), those soul gems only good for about a few hour of play time and that's if you die in that particular level range to make use of them otherwise it just stacks up and become useless.
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    You can also use the lower level soul gems to charge your weapons, instead of one level 30 soul gem charging a level 30 weapon, you can use several level 20 soul gems. That is what I did with mine as I progressed.

I have never minded having the different level gems but they soon become redundant and irrelevant once you start doing the undaunted quests and random dailies.

Hmm are you sure about that? So you're saying I can use a Minor Soul Gem (level10-19) and fully charge a Vet16 weapon? That doesn't sound right. Gonna have to try it
    Edited by N1K3 on April 28, 2016 1:54PM
    DC Imperial NightBlade
    DC Orc DragonKnight
    DC Breton Templar
    DC High Elf Sorcerer
    DC Dark Elf DragonKnight
    DC Redgaurd Templar
    EP Breton NightBlade
    AD Khajiit Sorcerer
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    N1K3 wrote: »
    Hmm are you sure about that? So you're saying I can use a Minor Soul Gem (level10-19) and fully charge a Vet16 weapon? That doesn't sound right. Gonna have to try it

No. It takes 5-6, iirc, level 10-19 soul gems to fully charge a level 20-29 weapon. I did that in the non-vet campaign. But charging more than 10 levels above is kinda pointless, better vendor them and get an on-level gem for one-click charge.
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws