The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Ranged class in PvP?

Heimdall_
Heimdall_
Soul Shriven
Hi all,
i usually play melee classes (warriors, paladins and such) and i wanted to try something ranged, apart from the obvious sorceror what class is good as a ranged DPS? templar or dk are viable?
I've tried the game only to level 15 so i know nothing about endgame builds (I've looked lots of videos but many are old and probably not relevant anymore).
I don't mind to play support in pvp, that's why for now templar seems a good choice.

Thanks
Edited by Heimdall_ on March 31, 2016 6:27AM
  • Obliterate
    Obliterate
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a V3 templar and I use a 2H primarily for DPS, then I have a bow for defending keeps from the walls and ranged attacks. Though the only dps spell I have on my bow bar is poison, the rest are buffs for stamina/physical resistance/healing ritual/vigor.

With this class I can support with basic healing (ritual & vigor and repetance for buffs) but I can also deal alot of damage which I'd recommend because you'll get rushed in PVP, especially by NB's
    Edited by Obliterate on March 31, 2016 8:59AM
  • EC_Rob
    EC_Rob
    ✭✭✭
    All classes can be played both as ranged and melee be it stamina or magicka build, magicka builds are usually with staves and stamina classes with bows. it is what you prefer and what you find is fun to play, not all ways will be as effective as others like using a templar with a destruction staff isnt always the best choice because templar has ability's like Dark flare or radiant opression.

At this point a stamina build Dragonknight with a bow is a very good stamina ranger if you would like to try, however for me it feels like all stamina builds are more effective at melee, but ranging is a good way of picking down targets from a far before they reach you. Everything in this game is in the end about learning how to use it and how to be effective with it. some things are more effective than other things are but the fun thing about it is finding out what is effective.

@EC_Rob
    GM of Nirn Traders (PC-EU)
    GM of Aetherius Trade (PC-EU)
    GM of Sovngarde Traders (PC-EU)

Keep it causal, enjoy your games.
    Kill in good spirit, die in good spirit.

Magicka Templar since 2014. Breton master race forever.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Heimdall_ wrote: »
    Hi all,
    i usually play melee classes (warriors, paladins and such) and i wanted to try something ranged, apart from the obvious sorceror what class is good as a ranged DPS? templar or dk are viable?
    I've tried the game only to level 15 so i know nothing about endgame builds (I've looked lots of videos but many are old and probably not relevant anymore).
    I don't mind to play support in pvp, that's why for now templar seems a good choice.

Thanks

Ranged magicka NB is great. Strife as spamming attack weaved with light attacks + merc ressolve's assasin will make a good combo.

Templar is another great option for both, magicka and stamina.

Stam DK is good too.
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • puffy99
    puffy99
    ✭✭✭
    Right now until they nerf it Templar- Dark Flare, Aurora Jav, Dark Flare and or/ RO is mucho fun.
    A blast to knock dudes off Keep walls when they don't think you can reach them and if empowered has really good punch.
  • Heimdall_
    Heimdall_
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the input guys, i'm trying NB tonight a few levels just to see if i like the feel of the class.
    I keep watching videos on youtube and usually when i'm finished i'm more confused than before :D
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka based ranged NB is a very good option,

I have one and use him currently for all my pve content,
    However i have played him in cyrodiil and he did pretty damn well...

I have a lowbie on my second account, lvl 27 playing on BWB...
    Just need to stay clear of WB spammers, they are the only concern..

i Run a resto and destro setup,
    Destro bar
    Funnel Health,
    Destructive reach(fire)
    Harness magicka,
    Cripple,
    Shadowy disguise,
    U - Soul tether

Resto bar
    Impale,
    Healing Springs,
    Blur/Mark target,
    Mage light,
    Healing Ward,
    U - incapacitating strike.

My gear is blue,
    5 pce julianos
    3 pce torugs pact,
    3 pce Warlock Jewelry

At lvl 30 i want to equip 5 pce Vicious Death,
    5 pce Julianos,
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Sunburnt_Penguin
    Sunburnt_Penguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you level the skill lines up, the combo of Relentless Focus, Siphoning Attacks, light attack weave with Poison Injection is great for DPS and resource management.

In ~4 seconds I can roughly do from 24-62k damage + DOT from that alone, whilst regaining 4k stamina and magicka from SiA:
    - 4 light attacks = 8-16k damage
    - Assasin's Will = 10-14k damage
    - 4 Poison Injections = 16-32k damage