Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Best Solo Class (Sorc or Temp?)

connivingsumo
I've been reading the forums and searched for "best solo class," but all of the threads seem to be from Aug 2015 or earlier.

I believe there's been some patches since then because my Templar doesn't have 'Puncturing Sweep' and no healing+damage type spell/skill.

My Templar is only level 3, and my Sorcerer is only level 6. I did see a common theme of "any class can solo" but I'm looking for the lesser learning curve since I'm completely new to ESOTU.

Thanks! :)
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solo what pve or pvp?
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • connivingsumo
    Sorry ~ PVE
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magicka Templar then, easy access to it's heals and good dps skill early in the game.

It's also a lot easier and simpler to play in Pve.
    PS4 EU DC

• txtorpedo
    txtorpedo
    ✭✭
    Puncturing sweeps is a morph of puncturing strikes and it heals you for 35% of damage done. So you'll get it after you level puncturing strikes to rank 4.

Magicka Templar is my only vet character at vr10, I can solo pretty much everything. Though, the play style does get boring after a while at least in my opinion.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Magicka templar is great for solo PvE. Sorc is good too, especially since at the beginning you can 'solo' with pets.

But my templar was easier, IMO. Puncturing _____ alone will get you though almost any of the questing content. (Although there are more interesting skills to use.)
    Edited by NBrookus on March 29, 2016 4:00AM
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think templar is more forgiving and easier when you're first leveling up and learning the game. However, sorcerer is the best all-around for PvE IMO.
    Edited by wayfarerx on March 29, 2016 4:21AM
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • Fellenore_Ewalion
    Fellenore_Ewalion
    ✭✭✭
    Magicka templar is easier, because of self heal, but sorcerer is better for CC (shattering prison). In fact Sorcerer can CC all the small bosses too, so the chances of getting killed are smaller with that class. With a shattering prison and a resto staff combo you can easily keep any (even multiple) enemies at bay forever.
    My Great House Telvanni did not join the Pact.
    But it does not mean I don't want to be Emperor.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    >.< different classes are easier for different people. I started out with a templar, took me half a year to l2p templar ..in the meantime while Í also played with my sorcerer, I felt miserable and stupid for ever making a templar ...now that both my chars are v16, I prefer to only play on my templar.

If you only light-attack and don't know how to use abilities or got stronger l2p issues than that, then sorcerer is probably the best choice for you. You get 2 pets, and one of them is extremely tanky...

If you are aggressive, is somewhat decent at positioning yourself, then templar is the best choice for you.
    Sorcerers are kings and queens of high burst dps.
    Templars are the kings and queens of high sustained dps.

Sorcerers use Force Pulse (destruction staff skill) as main dps skill.
    Templars use Puncturing Sweep or Dark Flare (class skills) as main dps skills.

Sorceres have great mobility.
    Templars have 0 mobility. Our only gap closer is buggy and results often in skill-locking.

Sorcerers have fortunately/ unfortunately pets they can use in action.
    Templars are alone.

Once you reach endgame, if everything goes wrong and you dps at the level of a skeever biting its own tail, and materials + jewelry, enchantments etc. etc. all cost a fortune:
    • sorcerer = switch to tank role, untill you are fully geared and prepared as a dps. (grind 1hand and shield up a bit)
    • templar = switch to healer role, untill you are fully geared and prepared as a dps. (grind restoration staff up a bit)
    Remember that if you do this, don't invest in too expensive gear ...just gear that covers your needs, v13 footmans set, or v13 healer set is still viable in v16 dungeons, untill you can afford your dream-gear.
  • Bfish22090
    Bfish22090
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    templar is the easiest class to play, most dps and best surviviability
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For early-game, definitely Templars.

For questing and "mainstream" content, Templars.

For hard content (vMA) or soloing stuff that you aren't supposed to solo (soloing a 4-man group dungeon), then it's sorcs (or magicka nightblades).

The things that make sorcs so powerful at end-game comes pretty late. In the early game, sorcs are much, much harder to play. And even at max level, the things that sorcs have (Hardened Ward and Overload) are overkill for the mainstream content in the game, so the sorc's advantage doesn't really shine through, and Templars still have the edge. It's only when you push into the really difficult stuff that the sorc's advantages become really relevant, and then they become arguably the most OP class in the game.
    Edited by code65536 on March 29, 2016 1:31PM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • connivingsumo
    Thanks for all of the responses!

So if I go Templar, do I want to wear heavy armor?
    What weapon(s) do I want to focus on?
    I'll search the forums for Templar Solo Builds maybe.

I've spent a fair amount of time reading various forum posts, but I'm still completely clueless how the whole armor/weapon/gear thing works. I tried to use a couple guild-merchant/auction - something or other dudes - but my searches come up nil every time.

I've read some 'newb' ESO stickies but it's about how to use the interface and what it means to play an mmorpg, which I already know that sort of stuff, so is there a good website or sticky that is good for someone that's new to ESO but NOT new to MMORPGs?
  • Powell90
    Powell90
    I would recommend a magicka Templar because you can deal massive amounts of dmg and with all the heals you'll have easy sustainability. With my Templar I was able to solo all world bosses, dolmens and got through maelstrom quite easy. Just know that Templars are pretty much a universal class, you can go any route you want with it. They can pretty much be a healer, dps, and I've even seen people do a good job at tanking with them. You can also go magicka or stamina with a Templar as well.

And on the sorcerer side, problem with sorcerers is that yes you can make them do massive amounts of dmg, but sorcerers are quite squishy in most cases which a be a problem with groups of enemies.
    Edited by Powell90 on March 29, 2016 5:38PM
    Pain is Weakness
  • seipher09
    seipher09
    ✭✭✭✭
    I did magicka templar 5 light 2 heavy, dual swords. Everything was overall pretty easy.

However the class was so boring by the time I hit vr1 I didn't want to play out anymore.
  • failkiwib16_ESO
    failkiwib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @connivingsumo this is how ESO works:
    • Heavy Armor = tanking
    • Medium Armor = stamina dps
    • Light Armor = magicka dps/ healing
    Weapons for magicka users:
    • Restoration staff - just good to level up. Offers cheap heals and hots. It's not needed for a templar but just very convenient.
    • Destruction staff - good skills that deal elemental damage for a magicka templar.
    • Dual Wield swords - great boost in spell damage, due to a passive skill you can unlock when you level this up. Don't slot any weapon skills of Dual Wield, because if you are magicka based then you will hit like a wet noodle ...however your Class, World and Guild skills will be much stronger with dual wielding swords.

Edited by failkiwib16_ESO on March 29, 2016 6:16PM
  • connivingsumo
    OK - sounds like I want a:

Magicka Templar
    Light Armor
    Resto Staff or Destro Staff

Doesn't seem like there's much bonus or penalty to race choice?
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK - sounds like I want a:

Magicka Templar
    Light Armor
    Resto Staff or Destro Staff

Doesn't seem like there's much bonus or penalty to race choice?

Go high elf, it makes a difference end game.

Also you can go destro and resto, at lvl 15 you can equip another weapon, go destro first though.
    PS4 EU DC

• connivingsumo
    OK cool ~ I will go:
    + High Elf
    + Templar
    + Magicka (this means I click the + sign for Magicka, right? Do I bother ever putting points into Stamina?)
    + Light Armor (points into this and not other armor)
    + Destro Staff (putting points into) first.

- Where do I buy gear?

My next question is where/how to buy gear? Once I learn the class I'm a good enough player I don't need top end gear while leveling up, but I got my Sorc to level 6 and was wearing a hodge-podge mix of armors because I couldn't find a light armor merchant. Also - by luck - a mob dropped a destro staff, so I don't know where to buy those either.
    Edited by connivingsumo on March 30, 2016 2:26PM
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tailors sell light armor and woodworkers sell Destro Staffs.

You can normally find these merchants near their respective crafting stations.
  • connivingsumo
    Thelon wrote: »

Awesome! Thank you everyone :D
  • connivingsumo
    I nuked this question and asked in the forum instead of this thread as it wasn't really related to the original post.
    Edited by connivingsumo on March 30, 2016 4:30PM
  • Fellenore_Ewalion
    Fellenore_Ewalion
    ✭✭✭
    But remember, you can easily ask for a master crafter in zone chat. And crafted sets are way more effective than bought ones.
    My Great House Telvanni did not join the Pact.
    But it does not mean I don't want to be Emperor.
  • connivingsumo
    But remember, you can easily ask for a master crafter in zone chat. And crafted sets are way more effective than bought ones.
    Oh!! Good point/helpful tip, thank you!
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thelon wrote: »
    Sorry but recommending anyone to buy armor/weapons from in game vendors is just total waste of money.

Many crafters from various guilds would be more than happy if they are able to help new players in crafting simple low lvl armor sets for free or for a small percent of what a vendor would take for that rubbish gears they offer.

@connivingsumo for your magicka templar I recommend you join a nice social guild and ask someone to make you a 6 pcs. of light armor with infused trait + 1 pc. heavy chest with reinforced trait, all magicka enchantments. 5 pcs. Seducer Set with 2+weapons Torug's Pact (both 3 traits needed to craft, so people will not demand lot of gold if any). Not destro staff but rather both resto Staff should be enough. Later in game you will find better to use mostly your skills on bars and will use the staff's heavy attacks mainly to restore your magicka than to deal serious damage.
    Your absolutely must-have choice for pve/pvp is Spear Shards skill which unlocks at Aedric Spear Rank 30, so I recommend you start using Puncturing Strikes morphed into Sweep as fast and often as possible.
    With Spear Shards (+Entropy&Magelight from Mages Guild Skills) and some defensive/healing skills you can solo any pve boss or public dungeon. Disorienting enemy works great to disrupt their actions and I found some bosses just stay in place being unable to move when I continue destroying them with the multiple rains of Spear Shards.
    PS. with such special set made in blue quality you can easily make up to 10 levels (or more depending from area you play) without changing any gears you have, just repairing.
    Edited by Gargath on April 3, 2016 11:48AM
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • jayarte
    jayarte
    Soul Shriven
    I played in beta and have only now returned, wondering which class would be easiest for me. I found the question and the replies very helpful. Thanks to everyone who contributed :)