The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

[PvE DPS] Ideal Mage CP distribution for stamina and magicka builds

• Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Xeven wrote: »
    Ishammael wrote: »
    On live, there are a few stamplars I know who are doing insane damage with Biting Jabs. As I understand it, this is a DOT and it's being buffed by both magic and DOT damge CP stars for a total of 50%.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but this is absurdly OP.

Put points in DoT dmg reduction?

I don't want to derail this thread, but I think ZOS's idea of a DOT is a bit off. Jabs is not a DOT. Make Frags a DOT too, and then we'll talk after they scrape your ass up off the floor of Nickle Outpost.

That or we can all just roll Stamplars. Sounds fun right? Don't be silly. Stamplar benefits most by far. Nobody else can do that with their main DPS ability.

Don't forget about magplars, and they have a finisher (also DoT) to do even more DPS ^^
    Noobplar
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On live, there are a few stamplars I know who are doing insane damage with Biting Jabs. As I understand it, this is a DOT and it's being buffed by both magic and DOT damge CP stars for a total of 50%.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I think ZOS's idea of a DOT is a bit off. Jabs is not a DOT. Make Frags a DOT too, and then we'll talk after they scrape your ass up off the floor of Nickle Outpost.

That or we can all just roll Stamplars. Sounds fun right? Don't be silly. Stamplar benefits most by far. Nobody else can do that with their main DPS ability.

Their definition of a DoT is reasonable. Jabs is not an instant-cast ability with all of its damage-up front, rather it is distributed over time. This is no mere semantic issue as even half decent players will be able to move and avoid some of the damage on a jab's tooltip even when the ability connects.

In general I think you are too good of a player to complain every time some in-game mechanics seems to buff non-sorcs and perceive any change to that status quo as a nerf to sorcerers.
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    eh, nevermind.
    Edited by Xeven on March 2, 2016 1:48AM
  • Dabilahro
    Dabilahro
    Have you done any testing into Warrior CP distribution? For example, would 50 points into light armor focus negate more physical damage than 50 points in hardy? Similarly, is spell shield comparable to elemental defender in negating magic damage?
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just some general advice since I don't know too many details of what you are thinking about
    Most players will be looking to spend points in either Hardy, Elemental Defender or Thick-Skinned. Sorcerers will also be looking to spend points into Bastion. Not much can be said for Armour Focus or Spell Shield as a 100 points provides only 5281 resistance which corresponds to 8% mitigation at V16 which corresponds to 20 points in Hardy or Elemental Defender. In addition, Armour Focus and Spell Shield are affected by percentage penetration and are not taken into account when a damage shield is used.
    Reference for any calculation I make Introduction to PvE Damage Calculation
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've moved this topic to the Combat & Character Mechanics forum because with the release of Thieves Guild I think a lot more people might find the spreadsheet useful. I've also created an additional one for stamina characters. A similar assumption (as for magicka builds) is made in that all your damage is based on stamina, weapon damage, physical penetration, weapon critical and weapon critical modifier. At the moment the spreadsheet for stamina is not that smart and will not always select Precise Strike jump points. When I find time in the future I'll teach it to only select jump points. The difference between the stamina and magicka spreadsheets are the addition of Elemental Expert as some stamina based builds such as Dragonknights rely heavily on fire damage. This means that you must divide your damage into a physical and elemental ratio that must add up to 1. Additionally, each of these components is divided into a non-DoT and DoT ratio (and in the case of physical damage also a weapon ratio).

@Fat_Cat45 provided me with a parse for a stamina DK with no CP assigned
    8037682a89a98a61274836e0639f718f.png
    From this parse, elemental ratio is 43% (Scorched Earth, Unstable Flame, Flames of Oblivion, Standard of Might). Elemental DoT ratio is 100%. Physical ratio is then 57% while physical DoT ratio is 93% and Weapon ratio is 7%. Using the spreadsheet, it suggest 6 in Elemental Expert, 15 in Mighty, 29 in Piercing, 31 in Precise Strikes and 86 in Thaumathurge. Note that 31 Precise Strikes is not a jump point and the closest is 29 so perhaps a better solution is 6 in Elemental Expert, 15 in Mighty, 30 in Piercing, 29 in Precise Strikes and 87 in Thaumathurge.

Since I've made the spreadsheet I've enjoyed viewing all the animals that have taken an interest in my spreadsheet
    e0b024caa35b2a20f254d63caaf6356a.png
    I've also been asked several times why the spreadsheet suggest such a large number of points be put into Spell Erosion. My general response was along the lines of wanting to optimise the function
    34fbbb2fa63e4600fc57d33892aaed2d.png
    which didn't really satisfy most people. I'll try to provide some insight into the function above to hopefully convince some people why Spell Erosion is not all too bad now. Since most people happily agree that Elemental Expert is the best star most of the concern is why shouldn't more points be allocated into Elfborn instead of Spell Erosion. Part of the reason that Spell Erosion is seen to be so bad is that pre-Thieves Guild it was undoubtedly the worse champion point and even I made a scathing remark about it in the Imperial City PTS. Only 1 point was ever recommended in it not because of any bugs but because there was no where else to spent it. But in the Thieves Guild update it has not only increased its effectiveness by 167% but also made to become more linear that is to say it suffers less from diminishing returns. This is quite clear from the figure below which shows the tooltip for Spell Erosion pre-Thieves Guild and post-Thieves Guild.
    3a0362c7e7a2f5f6776d78628f644a89.png
    What this means is that at some point the diminishing returns from Elfborn makes it inferior to Spell Erosion thus my spreadsheet suggest putting points into Elfborn. If you were to reduce number of champion points in my spreadsheet you'll see that Spell Erosion will be the first to fall.

In summary, in the Thieves Guild patch the effectiveness of Spell Erosion was not only increased by 167% but it was also made more linear such that it suffers less from diminishing returns compared to Elfborn thus (for low'ish DoT builds) it is the 3rd strongest star after Elfborn.
    Edited by Asayre on March 8, 2016 1:22PM
  • tino.antoninieb17_ESO
    thx
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    book marked for later
  • Fat_Cat45
    Fat_Cat45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Asayre wrote: »
    I've moved this topic to the Combat & Character Mechanics forum because with the release of Thieves Guild I think a lot more people might find the spreadsheet useful. I've also created an additional one for stamina characters. A similar assumption (as for magicka builds) is made in that all your damage is based on stamina, weapon damage, physical penetration, weapon critical and weapon critical modifier. At the moment the spreadsheet for stamina is not that smart and will not always select Precise Strike jump points. When I find time in the future I'll teach it to only select jump points. The difference between the stamina and magicka spreadsheets are the addition of Elemental Expert as some stamina based builds such as Dragonknights rely heavily on fire damage. This means that you must divide your damage into a physical and elemental ratio that must add up to 1. Additionally, each of these components is divided into a non-DoT and DoT ratio (and in the case of physical damage also a weapon ratio).

@Fat_Cat45 provided me with a parse for a stamina DK with no CP assigned
    8037682a89a98a61274836e0639f718f.png
    From this parse, elemental ratio is 43% (Scorched Earth, Unstable Flame, Flames of Oblivion, Standard of Might). Elemental DoT ratio is 100%. Physical ratio is then 57% while physical DoT ratio is 93% and Weapon ratio is 7%. Using the spreadsheet, it suggest 6 in Elemental Expert, 15 in Mighty, 29 in Piercing, 31 in Precise Strikes and 86 in Thaumathurge. Note that 31 Precise Strikes is not a jump point and the closest is 29 so perhaps a better solution is 6 in Elemental Expert, 15 in Mighty, 30 in Piercing, 29 in Precise Strikes and 87 in Thaumathurge.

Here's 3 dps tests using the above "6 in Elemental Expert, 15 in Mighty, 30 in Piercing, 29 in Precise Strikes and 87 in Thaumathurge."

Thief mundus, 7 divine pieces, 5-1-1, 5 Hunding's, 2x Night Mother, 2x Mael Dagger, Mael Bow.

xDrlHHQ.jpg

Sk7G9zI.jpg

j17A5z3.jpg

These tests do not include any buffs from other players. The only debuff applied to the boss is major fracture from Ransack.
    Edited by Fat_Cat45 on March 9, 2016 2:14AM
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    i spent a good portion of my night yesterday testing with backing from your data.. thanks man... i learned alot.
  • mertusta
    mertusta
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the explanations. I wish i had worked maths in high school years.. :|
  • Mulcibur
    Mulcibur
    ✭✭✭

Their definition of a DoT is reasonable. Jabs is not an instant-cast ability with all of its damage-up front, rather it is distributed over time. This is no mere semantic issue as even half decent players will be able to move and avoid some of the damage on a jab's tooltip even when the ability connects.

In general I think you are too good of a player to complain every time some in-game mechanics seems to buff non-sorcs and perceive any change to that status quo as a nerf to sorcerers.

Curse and Proxy do not deal damage over time yet they are a DoT.
    Edited by Mulcibur on March 10, 2016 9:25AM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mulcibur wrote: »

So is dmg of Proxy Det increased by Elemental Expert (magic dmg) and Thaumaturge (dot dmg)?
    Or is Thaumaturge the only CP tree that increases Proxy Det dmg?

And does mitigation work the same? So both Elemental Defender and Thick Skinned reduce Proxy Det dmg?
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Mulcibur
    Mulcibur
    ✭✭✭

So is dmg of Proxy Det increased by Elemental Expert (magic dmg) and Thaumaturge (dot dmg)?
    Or is Thaumaturge the only CP tree that increases Proxy Det dmg?

And does mitigation work the same? So both Elemental Defender and Thick Skinned reduce Proxy Det dmg?

Proxy dmg is increased by both yes. Mitigation works the same too.
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your tooltip will show that all (magicka) abilities will increase with Elemental Expert and Thaumathurge but you'll need to verify your damage logs to make sure. Proxy Det's damage is increased by both Elemental Expert and Thaumathurge.

Mitigation works the same way. Proxy Det's damage will be reduced by Elemental Defender and Thick Skinned
  • Jhunn
    Jhunn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impressive stuff @Asayre.
    Gave up.
  • Fat_Cat45
    Fat_Cat45
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This fight used the same CP distribution as above.

wungR2s.jpg
  • Botak
    Botak
    ✭✭
    In summary, in the Thieves Guild patch the effectiveness of Spell Erosion was not only increased by 167% but it was also made more linear such that it suffers less from diminishing returns compared to Elfborn thus (for low'ish DoT builds) it is the 3rd strongest star after Elfborn.

Could I use the CP distribution spreadsheet for magicka sorc in PVP? or any suggestions?

Thanks
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, I don't PvP much but it seems that it is a widely held belief that shields are rampant so maybe less in Elfborn/Spell Erosion and more into Elemental Expert/Thaumathurge.
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

No magicka Templars benefit most. They get jabs and radiant destruction, and soul assault is more power for magicka users than stamina.
  • Botak
    Botak
    ✭✭
    Sure, I don't PvP much but it seems that it is a widely held belief that shields are rampant so maybe less in Elfborn/Spell Erosion and more into Elemental Expert/Thaumathurge.

Hi @Asayre. Thanks your reply.

I was looking at the spreadsheet and I input the following (the other number are the same):

Number of Champion Points 85
    Spell Critical Chance 0.4 (I think my character with my current gear only have about 40% ish spell crit)
    Percentage Penetration 0.18 ( using nirnhorned legendary

The result CP from the spreadsheet:

Elemental Expert 78
    Thaumathurge 1
    Staff Expert 0
    Elfborn 4
    Spell Erosion 2

The Spell Erosion is only 2 points at this time. Does it mean that my spell penetrate 100% on the NPC or PC assuming they have 13000 spell resist?

Thank you very much
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's probably worthwhile to include the other inputs because I sometimes change it. You need to set character level to 66 for V16 enemies. 13000 spell resistance is quite low for PvP I would probably put it at around 18k. 2 points in Spell Erosion doesn't mean you have 100% penetration it just means that given the input parameters that is the ideal amount to invest into Spell Erosion
  • Botak
    Botak
    ✭✭
    It's probably worthwhile to include the other inputs because I sometimes change it. You need to set character level to 66 for V16 enemies. 13000 spell resistance is quite low for PvP I would probably put it at around 18k. 2 points in Spell Erosion doesn't mean you have 100% penetration it just means that given the input parameters that is the ideal amount to invest into Spell Erosion

Hi Asayre,

Thanks for your reply.

I keep everything else the same and I change the lvl to 66, Spell resistance to 18000, my spell critical about 40% or 0.4 critical chance and my CP 85.

The Spell Erosion value changed to 0.

Is this about right? Thanks again.
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds about right
  • Mulcibur
    Mulcibur
    ✭✭✭
    Does the Percentage Penetration increase when using 2 nirn compared to 1? Duel wield vs staff
  • mertusta
    mertusta
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does the Percentage Penetration increase when using 2 nirn compared to 1? Duel wield vs staff

Nope, they're equal. Staff has %18, one dual wield has %9, two dual wield %18. But you will get more spell damage from duel wield. (Percentages are for v16 legendary by the way.)
    Edited by mertusta on March 17, 2016 9:45AM
  • Mulcibur
    Mulcibur
    ✭✭✭
    mertusta wrote: »

Nope, they're equal. Staff has %18, one dual wield has %9, two dual wield %18. But you will get more spell damage from duel wield. (Percentages are for v16 legendary by the way.)

Thanks. Aware of the spell damage. Was just wondering about the penetration. If only sorc had a spammable aoe other than destro I wouldn't need to worry about a staff in PVP anymore. Can only duel wield when I solo.
  • TheSamael
    TheSamael
    Soul Shriven
    Please refer to http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/2718988/#Comment_2718988

A link to the spreadsheet
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Zp9v1Vp4Z7X6zfDfcxTwyAnejv-tEC5LujbXYBiVMDk/edit?usp=sharing

The ideal Mage CP distribution for magicka builds can be easily calculated by maximising the following function

34fbbb2fa63e4600fc57d33892aaed2d.png

I've done this at 501 CP for two common critical chances with Julianos for a range of Elemental, DoT and Staff Ratio. In order to use the results you need to determine the ratio of your damage that is based on DoTs and Staff attacks. I've assumed that 100% of you damage falls under Elemental. Once you know the DoT and Staff ratio simply look up the corresponding row and column in the table below and read off the ideal champion point distribution.

EE = Elemental Expert
    T = Thaumathurge
    S = Staff Expert
    Elf = Elfborn
    SE = Spell Erosion

be899bc4d86424b698ab45d58dfbf562.png

a9b23f71e8b0ecc336f3a96f8bc11bde.png

Hope the table is reasonably understandable and helps everyone with optimising champion points!

Edit: This applies for a base critical modifier of 0.5 i.e. for Sorcerers and Dragonknights.

thx a lot but it does`t conform spreadsheet with the table, which one is more right? if i put 0 in DoT and Staff Ratio, critical chance 0.652, critical multiplier 0.5, % penetration 0.18 and no change to others. It gives EE-100, T-0, S-0, Elf-33, SE-34. But table says EE-100, T-0, S-0, Elf-46, SE-21. Which is right?)
    Edited by TheSamael on March 24, 2016 9:07AM
  • Asayre
    Asayre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The table was made in a slightly different way with slightly different parameters. You're most likely better off using the spreadsheet.
  • posthumecaver
    posthumecaver
    ✭✭
    First of all thx or the awesome research before I was lost with the CPs and put points too many wrong things and with your input my damage increase a lot.

My main is a Sorc and I am only little bit confused with 'elfborn' it seems heavily investing in 'Elemental Defender' and 'Thermaxxx' is advantgeous mainly on DoT abilities which can be totally correct for DK and NB Magicka builds because they seem to be DoT heavy specs but Sorc has nice DoT abilities like Liquid Lightning, Boundless Storm and Wall of Elements but our major heavy hitters are Crytal Frag, Mage Wrath, Light Overload, shouldn't we invest more points to the ''Eflborn'?