Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Run Speed Reduced? (Edit: Confirmed Bug)

• bunnytrix
    bunnytrix
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think we will hear much more about this.
    I think it is obvious to anyone that plays a lot, that movement speed is slower across the board. It is either a bug from ZoS attempt at changing sprint speed and Major Expedition, which is very possible I guess. But in my opinion much more likely to be a purposeful change that, like in time honored ZoS tradition, was left out of the patch notes and they hoped we wouldn't notice.
    Also the nerf to Rapid Manoevers seems to be a hell of a lot slower and often seems to be not working at all.
  • sneakymitchell
    sneakymitchell
    ✭✭✭✭
    @I55UE5

Pretty good speed man. I used the steed mundus for myself for the speed and health recovery on my nord. :)
    Edited by sneakymitchell on March 12, 2016 6:58PM
    NA-Xbox one- Ebonheart Pact- Nord Tank DK
    PC-NA Ebonheart Pact Nord Stam Templar
  • GarnetFire17
    GarnetFire17
    ✭✭✭✭
    They nerfed major expedition? aw c'mon man!
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    On my main guy I tried it on several different horse, and still slower, but I'll try the senche mounts too, good idea.
    I have come to the conclusion that the Animation of the senche makes them feel a lot faster than the horses, bears, and guar, but may not actually be any different. (Also, the size of your character seems to affect both running and mount animation speeds so you look like you’re moving forward faster with shorter characters, even if the scenery going by you is actually the same rate as with taller ones - I mean… think about how Lyris always looks like she’s in slow-mo.)
    ADarklore wrote: »
    and there is a glitch with the horse sprint as well. When using sprint with mount, the mount stamina will drop a small amount and then immediately return to full bar.
    I’ve noticed this too. Sometimes I continue sprinting at the same speed when the stamina bar jumps back up, but about half the time it seems like I slow down and have to take my finger off and press down again to start sprinting again….which sometimes only lasts a second or two, so I have to keep doing that. It’s weird.
    dem0n1k wrote: »
    The worst part is... the sprinting on horseback doesn't seem to work for more than 1 second. I get on my horse, start moving, hit rapids, hold down shift key to 'sprint' & the horse speeds up & starts to lose stamina.... then after about a seconds it slows down & stamina goes back to full.

My horse & I both also seem to baulk at even smaller rocks & ridges in the terrain. I can be going full pelt (which only feels like half pelt) & there is a small rock in the road & my horse stops dead like it hit a brick wall.
    Yep. I’m not having trouble jumping on the horse every time, but it definitely seems to be getting tripped up or slowed down more often by smaller things. In one case recently my horse refused to jump up a low rock ridge (somewhere in the Alik’r dessert) and I had to get off it and jump over it unmounted which actually worked….
  • Ethoir
    Ethoir
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure if it is related to this thread but I figure it may be worth mentioning.

I've taken note that my forward momentum is all out of whack when I'm moving forward and jumping.

Walking forward and then jumping? My forward momentum is as slow as I'd expect it to be. Jog and jump also matches up in forward momentum. But sprint and jump results in arrested forward momentum no faster than that of jogging. Same thing applies to the Major Expedition buff in that if you try to jump while moving forward, your momentum is arrested wither you are sprinting (with the buff) or not.

This is strange and a little irritating when I can't make the jump from one ledge to another because my forward momentum can't exceed "jog speed".
    Edited by Ethoir on March 13, 2016 5:41AM
    Participant in the Sanguine's Tester beta group since November 2013.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's the opposite for me.I noticed that when I run it's a lot faster.Not sprinting,just running.
  • SeptimusDova
    SeptimusDova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Movement of all kinds is slower for me as well. Cyrodiil was fun today though. At least for me. Although the trips to the keeps took forever.Hope this can be fixed with a simple hotfix.
  • KanedaSyndrome
    KanedaSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭
    There's definitely something wonky about movement speed at the moment. When you sprint and want to jump, you only jump as if you had jumped while not sprinting. This affects mounting as well. It seems to happen 95% of the time. In some areas it seems the mount sprint-jump is fine.

Also, it seems that all speed was reduced. I think ZOS inadvertently nerfed all movement speed instead of just the Major Expedition 40% → 30%.
    KanedaSyndrome's Suggestions For Game Improvements
    The Fortuitous Collapse of the Wave Equation
    The Best Plans Require No Action
  • Nifty2g
    Nifty2g
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Weird this bug doesn't affect me neither does the jumping one
    #MOREORBS
  • goatlyonesub17_ESO
    goatlyonesub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    I have felt slower when running (NOT sprinting, just normal running) as well.

@Nestor try a different mount. I saw elsewhere on the forums some people's bear (or something) was slow, but their senche would work fine.

On my main guy I tried it on several different horse, and still slower, but I'll try the senche mounts too, good idea.

The tiger senche was a reward for LOYALTY. Maybe it was exempted from slow-down to give LOYAL players and edge over all the scruffy traitors who dropped out of subscription before the first year was done.
    "Argonians have fat, scaly tails." —Rissa Manyclaws.
    "Once upon a time there were three sisters: Delicious, Delightful, and Disgusting. Now, Delicious and Delightful were both very pretty girls..." —Brendalyn Jurarde.
    "I smell to the nobility." —Indrasa Avani.
    "A bargain with an animal is not a contract made." —Haderus Atrimus.
    "Redguard makeup for sale. Free samples. Secret ingredients. Unique application method. Lots of satisfied customers." —The Mudball Goblin (aka, Cognac Vinecroft)
    "Your armor looks like underwear." —Shuns-the-Knife.
  • goatlyonesub17_ESO
    goatlyonesub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Really, though, if they're going to slow down the regular jog, then they might go ahead and make it look like a walk. Then you could blend in somewhat with the lackadaisical NPC's, who usually move even more slowly.
    "Argonians have fat, scaly tails." —Rissa Manyclaws.
    "Once upon a time there were three sisters: Delicious, Delightful, and Disgusting. Now, Delicious and Delightful were both very pretty girls..." —Brendalyn Jurarde.
    "I smell to the nobility." —Indrasa Avani.
    "A bargain with an animal is not a contract made." —Haderus Atrimus.
    "Redguard makeup for sale. Free samples. Secret ingredients. Unique application method. Lots of satisfied customers." —The Mudball Goblin (aka, Cognac Vinecroft)
    "Your armor looks like underwear." —Shuns-the-Knife.
  • ContraTempo
    ContraTempo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Two of my eight toons are not yet maxed out on mount speed and they have not been affected, but my other 6 are definitely slower. So it must have something to do with that.
    ContraTempo
    Carpe DM
    Seize the Dungeon Master

• Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two of my eight toons are not yet maxed out on mount speed and they have not been affected, but my other 6 are definitely slower. So it must have something to do with that.

Interesting. I made a quick addon earlier this week to show my character's speed each second but since I didn't have anything to compare it to it was not entirely useful. I redid the test today, however, on several characters and noticed the values for walk/run speed were different than my previous tests.

Note the units here are arbitrary since there is no access to absolute coordinates in the game. All tests were done in the same place (Abah's Landing). RM = Rapid Manuvers.
    • Walk = 6.8 / 7.6 (see below)
    • Run = 9.5 / 10.6 (see below)
    • Walk + RM = 8.9
    • Run + RM = 11.6
    • Mount Walk (60%) = 13.2
    • Mount Run (60%) = 15.5
    • Mount Walk (60%) + RM = 17.2
    • Mount Run (60%) + RM= 20.1
    • Mount Walk (0%) = 8.7
    • Mount Run (0%) = 11.0
    • Mount Walk (0%) + RM = 11.2
    • Mount Run (0%) + RM= 14.2
    • Sorcerer Bolt Escape = 16.3

So the tests I did earlier in the week compared to the test done just now were identical except for the normal walk and run speed tests. On the same character today I get 7.6/10.6 speeds compared to the earlier 6.8/9.5 results. Interestingly this is an exact 10% difference.

I don't know why I got slower speeds earlier in the week or how to replicate it, assuming ZOS haven't fixed something serverside since then to explain the difference. I'll keep trying things and see if I can duplicate the 10% slow down.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I use the steed standing stone and still am slow as hell :/. Was great before the update, but after....meh.
  • Talyena
    Talyena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't say for sure on mount speed because I have different characters with different mount speeds. Can't say for sure while sprinting and using major expedition because I just started using that combo on my nightblade for escapes. What I can say is running around with major expedition is slower as expected, but running around without it which I do a lot when harvesting nodes is noticeably slower as well which was unexpected. The running animation even seems slower. It feels like the base run speed is slower which would make every other combo except just sprinting (since it got a boost) slower as well.
  • VerboseQuips
    VerboseQuips
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also noticed that my mounted speed was reduced.

In fact, not only has it been reduced, but it is now impossible to gallop (I am in Malabal Tor using the Frost Mare). The mount's stamina bar won't even decrease unless I repeatedly hit the rush key (to no avail). That's quite annoying (and I have the additional feeling my investment in stamina is for nothing).

Also, though I can understand that the Major Expedition boost for Templars was reduced while on feet to make the classes feel different in combat, I really dislikethe fact it was also decreased while mounted as there is no reason a templar would behave differently on a mount than a nightblade - and it is impossible to fight on a mount anyways (so far - I would like it if it changed). A speed reduction affecting only speed on feet seems better to me.

All in all, mounted speed reduction means only one thing for me: more time spent going from the wayshrine to the bank, from the bank to the crafting stations, from the crafting stations to the shops, from the shops to the dens, from the dens to the shrines, and generally speaking spending more time going from A to B and less time doing the fun things in A or B. :/
    My characters:
    Main and crafter: A Breton magicka templar named Erwann Sorril
    Alt 1: A Bosmer sorcerer named Tuuneleg
    Alt 2: An Imperial dragonknight named Gaius Tullius Hastifer
    Alt 3: An Argonian vampire/nightblade named Observe-le-Xanmeer
    Alt 4: A Nord werewolf/dragonknight named Sigurd Hurlevent
    Alt 5: A Breton sorcerer named Gilian Sorril (he's Erwann's younger brother)
    Alt 6: A Khajiit nightblade named Jolan-dar
    Alt 7: A Nord warden named Sigurmar Hurlevent (he's Sigurd's younger brother)
    Alt 8: An Altmer templar named Oioriel
    Alt 9: An Argonian stamina Warden named Danse-avec-les-Rainettes
    Alt 10: A Redguard templar named Neemokh af-Corelanya
    Alt 11: A Nord stamina sorcerer named Olga Écoute-Vent
    Alt 12: A Breton magicka Warden named Ian Sorril
    Alt 13: A Dunmer magicka necromancer named Ilmoran Dren
    Alt 14: An Orc stamina necromancer named Norgol gro-Borziel
    Alt 15: A Nord magicka necromancer named Thorgen Givresang
    Alt 16: An Imperial magicka dragonknight named Publius Valeirus Hastifer (Just call him "Valerio" - he's Gaius younger troublemaker of a brother)
    Main in NA (For collaborative events): A Breton magicka nightblade named Titouan Sorril (long-lost brother of Erwann and Gilian)
  • Brightxdawn
    Brightxdawn
    ✭✭✭
    WTF would you reduce major expedition????
  • ContraTempo
    ContraTempo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. I made a quick addon earlier this week to show my character's speed each second but since I didn't have anything to compare it to it was not entirely useful. I redid the test today, however, on several characters and noticed the values for walk/run speed were different than my previous tests.

Ha! You reminded me I had some old video showing my ft/sec in the MiniMap addon. The one character I had that for is NOT actually slower on foot at at run (not sprint). Maybe it's just smoother and so looks slower? I don't have old video showing mounted or sprint speeds so I can't say for sure about those.

HOWEVER, mounted speed now is weird. Check out the video below. You can see when I mount my run speed hits about 15.5 ft/sec. About 31 seconds in I sprint (watch the mount stamina bar drop for a second) and my Ft/Sec kicks up to almost 20max. But after about a second my mount speed drops to about 18.4max and my mount stamina recovers. I AM still in sprint mode and my speed has not dropped back to 15.5. Very strange and very not right.

I also notice that the Steed stone does increase my speed on foot by the correct amount, but has no noticable effect on mounted speed.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=xeW1p0AXqes&feature=youtu.be&fmt=22

EDIT: By "max" what I mean is the fastest speed I can sustain for a second or two. There are a few higher spikes for a tenth of a second or so that I just ignore. Not sure what to call this but maybe some statistician will supply the correct term.
    Edited by ContraTempo on March 13, 2016 11:00PM
    ContraTempo
    Carpe DM
    Seize the Dungeon Master

• GrumpStump
    GrumpStump
    ✭✭✭
    Mounted. The sprint key is acting wonky (hard to explain). Sometimes it works well then there are times the key doesn't seem to register. There are times I can keep it depressed and it uses stamina normally, then sometimes it just works once then I need to press it again to get it to work.

I have used this keyboard flawlessly for years, and it was working well before the update.

I'm experiencing this exact same thing. Also, the stamina bar is wonky. It jumps at the top of the range until you are out of stamina, and then sometimes it will show it empty. This worked fine before the patch.

64 bit Win 10

GrumpStump
    ESO+ Subbed until December 2019
  • Sharakor
    Sharakor
    ✭✭✭
    Movement speed overall has been reduced regardless of the increase and decrease to sprint speed and major expedition. My RavSpeed addon has been showing an exact decrease in movement speed of exactly 20%.
  • Tavore1138
    Tavore1138
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This feels like when they accidentally upped all vet mobs 2x more powerful - something in the numbers that they will not track down but will instead nerf something major to resolve.
    GM - Malazan
    Raid Leader - Hungry Wolves
    Legio Mortuum
  • punishergod
    punishergod
    ✭✭
    Base run speed was definatly slowed.. It feels like I'm snared all the time.
    Don't even get me started on crit Rush, wow is it ever frustrating.
    Edited by punishergod on March 14, 2016 12:58AM
  • ContraTempo
    ContraTempo
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hear what you guys are saying and felt the same way but I have video from before and after showing at least one of my characters still runs at the same speed. So it can't be an across the board drop. Gonna be a B to track this on down.
    ContraTempo
    Carpe DM
    Seize the Dungeon Master

• Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hookgrin wrote: »
    I looked back on some of my Shadowplay saves and found a recent one with some normal running. I retraced the steps as close as possible and edited the 2 videos to be side by side. Before TG is on the left, after is on the right. If you need proof, you can see the new side flaps on my armor (another issue all together). It's a short run, but a significant difference. Imagine if I had run 10 times farther.

On the other issues brought up in here, the horse stumbling and the player jumps failing as if your toes hung on the edge are bugs that were fixed ages ago brought back in one of the Wrothgar updates that also introduced the slow slide downward after a failed jump. I was hoping those would get fixed in this update, instead they just added more issues. It is funny to watch a group on a mad dash to a Wrothgar world boss on horse back, almost all of us know the various 2 inch high edges you have to jump the horse over to avoid the hang up, we all jump at once as we are riding along. Those of us that get the timing wrong fall behind. So I know that did not get introduced in this update, just the other stuff making it more noticeable to those that had not noticed before.

https://youtu.be/MEz0KU1V3wE

This is exactly what I am seeing on my Magicka Nightblade. My Stam DK seems to be fine however.
    Not really sure on the issue, none of my friends have suffered it either.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even a speed maxed mount in AD alliance zones is slower after the update and this is without using any type of speed buff, just regular sprinting.

@ZOS_GinaBruno Any progress from the devs on locating the base speed reduction bug?
    Edited by ADarklore on March 14, 2016 12:56PM
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • thejynxed
    thejynxed
    I can add in that this happens when mounted, not mounted, weapons sheathed or not sheathed. No "extra" speed buffs other than Steed Mundus.

Making it doubly awkward - I can dodge roll in any given direction faster than I can run even if sprint is enabled. Making it triply awkward - my main character is a Templar, and if I wear one of the armor sets that has the "ignore speed penalty while sneaking" bonus, I can sneak faster than I can run or sprint.

As you can imagine, this is no bueno, especially in Cyrodil.

• Thornen
    Thornen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Any update on this? Was hoping it would be addressed in the last incremental but it seems to be forgotten.
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can confirm this both on 32 & 64bit. Sometimes riding on my horse that has 15% speed increase is SO slow and almost annoying.

1. Yes, 15%
    2. Yes, on horse
    3. Can't have it on horse
    4. Cyrodiil. Happens mostly when lots of stuff is going on and when you really need all the speed you can get.
    Edited by maboleth on March 16, 2016 1:14PM
  • Thornen
    Thornen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    maboleth wrote: »
    I can confirm this both on 32 & 64bit. Sometimes riding on my horse that has 15% speed increase is SO slow and almost annoying.

Try getting snared lol you walk like your legs are broken.
  • Morozov
    Morozov
    ✭✭✭
    This is a tough one for sure, and certainly isn't something that we changed on purpose. The only thing we changed that would've affected your movement speed was reducing Major Expedition by 10%. If you don't use this buff, could you answer the following questions to help us pinpoint what might be happening:
    1. Are you using any speed bonuses (such as a skill like Rapid Maneuvers, or any Champion passive)?
    2. Are you on a mount, or running on foot?
    3. Are your weapons sheathed or unsheathed?
    4. Where are you when you notice this?

In Cyrodiil (cause I pretty much only PVP) I notice the slow speeds with the following affecting my character...
    -no added speed bonuses unless a group member adds rapids
    -on foot
    -weapons shealthed or unsheathed
    -I currently am wearing 5light-1Med-1heavy armor
    -no CP speed bonuses

I DO notice a speed increase which seem to not be affected when I get the expedition buff from DK chains.

I have yet to test other speed+ abilities to see what else works/broken
    AD
    Victorem
    PC - NA - AZ
    Vr 16: Morozov - DK
    Vr 1: Zephyr Grimm - Sorc
    Vr 5: Sad_Bunnie - Templar
    23: Repressed-Canadian-Rage - NB
    Voted "Most likely to squirrel off the crown" PC-NA
This discussion has been closed.