Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A few questions from a rather new player

Jonthe838
Jonthe838
Right I've gone through the sticky threads but have not been able to find the answers that I seek.

- if I respec my skill points, will I lose my progression in the different abilities? I mean for example having rank X of ability Y.. Will they all reset to rank 1?
- what is the benefit of wearing light armor rather than heavy except for maybe the passive skills? Any?
- once I finish the quest line of my faction, can I do the quests for the other factions or how am I supposed to get the achievements connected to other factions? I mean since they are not account wide but character specific how am I supposed to get them?
- can you obtain everything in the crown store by only playing? Apart from cosmetic stuff like costumes, pets and mounts?

Cheers JL
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Jonthe838 wrote: »
    - if I respec my skill points, will I lose my progression in the different abilities? I mean for example having rank X of ability Y.. Will they all reset to rank 1?
    No you will never lose progression in anything.
    - what is the benefit of wearing light armor rather than heavy except for maybe the passive skills? Any?
    It's really just about the passives: light armor is great for spellcasters and heavy is okay for dedicated tanky types.
    - once I finish the quest line of my faction, can I do the quests for the other factions or how am I supposed to get the achievements connected to other factions? I mean since they are not account wide but character specific how am I supposed to get them?
    You get to go and do the other factions after beating the main storyline.
    - can you obtain everything in the crown store by only playing? Apart from cosmetic stuff like costumes, pets and mounts?
    You can usually obtain similar if not the exact same things in game but there may be other conditions (i.e. you can use as many mount upgrades from the crown store as you want all at once but can only train your horse in-game one point per day).
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. But in order to take advantage of previous progression, you need to unlock those skills again. Your previous progress is saved.

Many. Each armor type comes with passives and they synergize with racial and class skills.

You need to finish the main story line in your faction first. Around level 50 ish. Then you move on to Cadwell's Silver and Gold which lets you play in the other factions. Also known as the VR grind.

No. Some items are unique to the crown store.

:smile:
    Edited by SirAndy on March 4, 2016 6:26PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While Leveling, wear a mix of armors so you level all 3 at the same time. You never know what changes they will make or what sets will be in what type of armor so this way you have all the skills leveled. You want to do this during leveling as armor and gear become important at VR Ranks, but during the leveling ranks, you can be naked and be successful so take that time to get your armor leveled. Besides, armor seems to level the slowest so you don't want that grind at VR Ranks.

Also a good idea to level more than one weapon line to at least 38 to unlock the last skill in those lines, but I would even go so far as to get that last skill to at least Morph stage.

The idea behind leveling is not to reach level 50, but to get to level 50 with as many skills developed as reasonably possible so you can be flexible in your character. You can level skills while at VR Ranks, but the last thing you want is to have a new weapon skill at L10 when your VR.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Acsvf
    Acsvf
    ✭✭✭
    1. No.
    2. There's more than that, but mostly just the passives.
    3. Yes you do the questlines of other factions.
    4. Aside from DLC, Imperial race, and the ability to make a race in any faction, you won't really be missing out on anything. Well, there's costumes, but that's pretty much it.
    @LightArray
    Lightarray Level 50 Dunmer Magicka Templar Healer

CP: 192

Add @Acsvf when quoting me to give me a notification!