The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Thieves Troves] Bug caused by Treasure Map Uniqueness

nooblybear
nooblybear
✭✭✭
This was brought up in one of the recent feedback meetings, but I thought I'd mention it here as well: currently, Thieves Troves give lots of treasure maps. This is awesome if you like hunting down treasures (as I do), but terrible in that the maps are "stolen": you cannot mail out duplicates to another account without going back and laundering them first.

This highlights how problematic treasure maps being "unique" is, that the ideal behaviour is to mail them to an alt account as soon as you get them. In addition, they cannot be stored in guild banks.

Experimenting with the latest PTS build and thieves troves resulted in the following issue: ssD7OLD.png

Two identical treasure maps spawned in the same chest. I only have the following two options:

1. Destroy one of them so that the trove will respawn.
2. Leave the duplicate in the trove for someone else to find, which, in my opinion, is extremely rude to other plays who might be opening troves.

Two potential solutions:

1. Ensure that duplicates never drop in the same trove.
2. (Ideal solution) Remove the "unique" marker from treasure maps. I can't stress how much of a relief this would be, how much of a quality of life improvement it would be for banking and storage.
AddOn Developer - RIP Akaviri Union (PC-NA)
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nooblybear wrote: »
    2. (Ideal solution) Remove the "unique" marker from treasure maps. I can't stress how much of a relief this would be, how much of a quality of life improvement it would be for banking and storage.
    agree.gif

This has been bugging me since beta. There is no reason why they shouldn't stack or at the very least, allow duplicates in your inventory.
    dry.gif
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason they're unique is because if they aren't, you probably get a situation where once you dig up that map's treasure, it will remove ALL instances of that map from your inventory, rather than just one. Solution: only allow one of each map in the inventory at a time, so that maps aren't unnecessarily "destroyed" by digging up the treasure.

That's my take on it, anyways.
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • nooblybear
    nooblybear
    ✭✭✭
    If that is indeed the case, which is entirely possible, simply calling hypothetical function RemoveFirstFromInventory(item_id) rather than RemoveAllFromInventory(item_id) would seem sufficient to resolve it.
    AddOn Developer - RIP Akaviri Union (PC-NA)
  • Saucy_Jack
    Saucy_Jack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason I think my hypothesis is the case is because I think in past that was happening when you had more than one identical survey in your inventory - you'd harvest it, and all instances of that survey were removed from your inventory. I'm not sure if that's the case now.

With that said, if they fixed the survey problem, they can fix the map problem (unless of course they fixed the survey problem by only allowing one instance of a particular survey in your inventory at one time.)
    ALL HAIL SNUGGLORR THE MAGNIFICENT, KING OF THE RNG AND NIRN'S ONE TRUE GOD! Also, become a Scrub-scriber! SJ Scrubs: Playing games badly to make you feel better about yourself.
  • Ruben
    Ruben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been calling the banker npc, storing the map and picking up the new one from the Trove. My problem is that you can be V16, get V16 loot from the Troves... and lvl42 loot from it's treasure map :/
    DK Stamina DPS
    DK Magicka DPS
    DK Tank
    Templar Healer
    Sorcerer Stamina DPS
    Nightblade Magicka DPS
    Nightblade Stamina DPS
  • staracino_ESO
    staracino_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ruben wrote: »
    I've been calling the banker npc, storing the map and picking up the new one from the Trove. My problem is that you can be V16, get V16 loot from the Troves... and lvl42 loot from it's treasure map :/

I agree that this is a problem. Can we have Hidden Treasure chests always drop loot that is scaled to our level? This will increase the value of ALL maps, not just the ones in cyrodiil and wrothgar.