The maintenance is complete and the PTS is now back online. The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test!
The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Gap Closer Fix Suggestion

xAPxZeez
xAPxZeez
✭✭
Instead of targeting the specific player why not change it to a small amiable AoE that moves you to that location? If the player is in the AoE when they get there they take single target damage from it if a different player is now in it they take the damage instead. No snare, no root, just skill. The farther the gap close the greater your chance of a miss due to movement or the damage could be calculated on launch not landing. It can either hit everyone or just 1 person I'm unsure which I think would be best atm.

This would bring skill into gap closing, allow players to charge into a location within range (even when enemies aren't there.) Enemies you pass thru/near should still Agro you though.

This is just a suggestion and I welcome constructive criticism.

• CasNation
    CasNation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool concept but I can see this being brutally exploited with teleport strike. It it were ground based targeting, it would allow people to get inside keeps even more easily than it already is. While streak is constrained from doing this easier with its 8m range, teleport strike would have a much higher range (don't know exact number), allowing some serious mobility shenanigans. Forget keep access: nb's could just teleport to places inaccessible to other players and range them to death from safety.
    PC NA AD
    Gamma Fyr: Dunmer Sorcerer Stamina DPS (the Missing Sister...props to those who get the reference)
    Samekh Fyr: Dunmer Nightblade Magicka DPS
    Claire Le'Rouge: Breton Templar Heal/Tank (the Resplendent Bastion)
    Augustus Constantine: Imperial Nightblade PvP (Blackwater Bandit)
    Shadow-of-Sundered-Star: Altmer Dragonknight Lowbie
  • bikerangelo
    bikerangelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a really terrible idea. Some gap closers have hard CC's, and AoE's can't explicitly be dodged if you're still in the AoE radius. Also, this mechanic sounds like a target toggle and then an activation, which would kill gameplay timing. The biggest problem is the root in place, which is already being addressed in this thread.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/250228/so-about-those-gap-closers#latest
  • xAPxZeez
    xAPxZeez
    ✭✭
    They can still force LOS checks from the caster to ensure it works properly and as intended. but I do appreciate and encourage the feedback.

Remember this is just an idea to help fix the permanent stun/root/snare issue associated with multiple gap closers and that they would miss otherwise.
  • bikerangelo
    bikerangelo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xAPxZeez wrote: »
    They can still force LOS checks from the caster to ensure it works properly and as intended. but I do appreciate and encourage the feedback.

Remember this is just an idea to help fix the permanent stun/root/snare issue associated with multiple gap closers and that they would miss otherwise.

I understand, and while it seems like an interesting idea, it most likely will break more than it will fix. While you're on a horse and someone uses a gap closer on you, you don't get snared or rooted in place. The gap closer still connects and can be spammed so the person attacking you can keep up with you while on foot, but it doesn't inhibit your movement speed. The majority of players I know would rather miss their gap closer than get rooted while attempting to run away from 3+ people using spambush.
  • xAPxZeez
    xAPxZeez
    ✭✭
    I agree with being rooted/snared/stunned being a bad mechanic but the Devs said it was necessary to ensure the hit based on the current mechanics. They simply can't find a fix that doesn't accomplish it. So my suggestion is to change it entirely instead of doing more of the same. Am I sure they could do it successfully? No but a suggestion might lead them into a direction where a fix can be used that does not affect the targeted players movement.
  • Dread_Guy
    Dread_Guy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think most people will actually use your suggestion as an escape method more than a gap closer. It will be a weird day seeing someone crit rush away from me.
    "My name is Julius Decimus Heraclius, Guildmaster of the Scions of the Sun, Brigadier of the Covenant Army, loyal servant to the High King Emeric. Brother to a betrayed legion, son to a fallen empire. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." ---Julius Decimus Heraclius (Imperial Templar)
  • Yolokin_Swagonborn
    Yolokin_Swagonborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gap closers missing were NEVER a problem. The "fix" that made every gap closer automatically root and silence people was a fix NO ONE ever asked for. The "compromise" of reducing the snare % is still terrible and makes it almost impossible for a single player to maintain positioning against a group of players.

It is one of the worst changes to ever happen to this game and it was completely unnecessary. I never felt like my gap closer missed too much. Giving everyone guaranteed gap closers is easy mode and really makes the game feel unresponsive.

The changes on the PTS don't go far enough. This one just needs to be reverted back to the way it was.
  • RoyJade
    RoyJade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mmh… perhaps agree for such an idea, if :
    - "teleport" gap closer (leap, ambush/lotus, werewolf bounce) don't get this possibility (too many abuse).
    - failed to hit something give an unbreakable hard cc to the user like a "fatigue" downside, to prevent people escaping with it.