The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How is the x64 project coming along?

Elf_Boy
Elf_Boy
✭✭✭
Title says it all.

Curious how the new code is doing. There is a whole lot more to x64 conversion then some extra memory access.

I do not doubt that pains of growing exist. Putting such aside how is it?
** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **
  • Mumyo
    Mumyo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elf_Boy wrote: »
    Title says it all.

Curious how the new code is doing. There is a whole lot more to x64 conversion then some extra memory access.

90% of the players can't even start it, that should answer your question hrhr
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It´s gonna get launched as the new standardclient with 1 week of pts testing max - if at all.

Ofc because of that it´s gonna be a bugridden crashing mess and the forums are once again going to explode with vile and animosity towards zos.

Atleast that´s my personall guess on what´s going to happen :(
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• KhajitFurTrader
    KhajitFurTrader
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There is a whole lot more to x64 conversion then some extra memory access.
    Well, yeah, there is, but the main purpose of the x86-64 instruction set is more virtual memory address space; performance gains (e.g. by using the extended general purpose registers) are mainly a thing of compiler optimization -- there might or might not be noticeable increases (it's said that +20% are the lowest perceptible threshold), depending on the structure of the code. The texture caching situation will certainly improve on some machines (i.e. larger amounts of RAM, slower HDDs).
    On the Mac, it runs great. So great in fact, that development of the 32-bit OS X client is discontinued. The biggest increase in performance definitely results from the switch to OpenGL 4.1, but it does wonders for stability. There might be an (unconfirmed) issue with Apple's OGL driver for AMD GPUs. I'm curious how that turns out when the client hits a broader range of machines.

Edited by KhajitFurTrader on February 24, 2016 2:12PM
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the latest patch notes.

Anyone using it under Win 10 yet?
    ** Asus Crosshair VI Hero, Ryzen 1800x, 64GB DDR4 @ 3000, GTX 1080 ti, 4K Samsung 3d Display m.2 Sata 3 Boot Drive, m.2 x4 nvme Game Drive **
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I ran a new character through character generation and Wailing Prison, no problems other than some oddities with audio. Not sure if that is part of the 64-bit client or just stuff that they need to fix.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Abeille
    Abeille
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I ran a new character through character generation and Wailing Prison, no problems other than some oddities with audio. Not sure if that is part of the 64-bit client or just stuff that they need to fix.

I had a similar experience. Weird, loud bursts in the audio here and there. Happened on the first two times I used Jabs, so I thought it could be something with that particular sound effect, but then it stopped. I don't know what caused it or what made it stop.

No crashing here, by the way.
    Just so that everyone knows, my Altmer still can't have black hair. About a dozen of Altmer NPCs in the game have black hair. Just saying.

Meet my characters:
    Command: Do the thing.

Zadarri, Khajiit Fist of Thalmor: The thing was done, as commanded.
    Durza gra-Maghul, Orc blacksmith: The thing was done perfectly, in the most efficient way.
    Tegwen, Bosmer troublemaker: You can't prove I didn't do the thing.
    Sings-Many-Songs, Argonian fisher: Sure, I'll do the thing... Eventually. Maybe.
    Aerindel, Altmer stormcaller: After extensive research, I've come to the conclusion that doing the thing would be a waste of resources.
    Liliel, Dunmer pyromancer: Aerindel said I shouldn't do the thing. Something about "resources".
    Gyda Snowcaller, Nord cryomancer: I will find a way to do it that won't waste resources and make Aerindel proud of me.
    Beatrice Leoriane, Breton vampire: I persuaded someone else into doing the thing. You are welcome, dear.
    Sahima, Redguard performer: Doing the thing sounds awfully unpleasant and really not my problem.
    Ellaria Valerius, Imperial priestess: I'll pray to the Eight for the thing to be done, if it is Their will.
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Works fine for me on Windows 10 now. However performance is a bit disappointing. Its better than 2.3.4 32 bit exe, but still not as good a live server.

y1Z2bCm.png

another test by another player

PJ3DIXn.png
    @sean8102 - Carlore - Daggerfall Covenant
  • Stalwart385
    Stalwart385
    ✭✭✭✭
    Works fine for me on Windows 10 now. However performance is a bit disappointing. Its better than 2.3.4 32 bit exe, but still not as good a live server.

y1Z2bCm.png

another test by another player

PJ3DIXn.png

I'm sure PTS isn't optimized like live. Smaller server, more diagnostic tools running, stuff like that. Could cause some FPS loss.
    Edited by Stalwart385 on March 1, 2016 3:28PM
  • Elf_Boy
    Elf_Boy
    ✭✭✭
    I can imaging that stability is the first goal.

I know driver models changed (again) in win 10 and a lot of sound cards (most particularly creative branded ones) had issues.

Could be the source of the sound issues.

Thank you everyone.

I am almost tempted to re-sub (since I am working again) just to jump in the Beta, it, I think, however almost over, no?