Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

When to start Pvp - Experienced mmo player knows nil of Eso

Kaynon
Kaynon
VR1 PVP COMBAT IN VET CAMPAIGNS

I'm close to popping VR1, I'm an NB stam. I've done some pvp on the non vet campaign.
Im wondering now should I just wait till i'm vr16 before venturing back into cyrodil? as a vr1, despite various armour and level differences can I be of any use on the vet campaign?

Looking for new people, friends, guilds... MMOs arent meant to be played alone.

Cheers
Kayno
EU-PC
Nightblade - Bosmer - Aldmeri Dominion
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll be battle levelled until your v16. Make sure you armour/weapons are the same level as you as your go through the ranks to receive the most of out battle levelling. Try and make sure there all blue quality at least. If you do that your stats will be fine and you can comfortably pvp.

I regularly kill v16's with my v6 nb and my v5 templar.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • Alorier
    Alorier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sooner you start the quicker your get vigor
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed with the above posters. I'll add that PvP is more than a build. At VR1 you'll have most passives and skills unlocked that you need. Start PvPing now so you can build your own PvP skill and muscle memory. And grinding is boring as **** so it breaks it up.
    Edited by AverageJo3Gam3r on February 26, 2016 3:22PM
  • Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. Click the "Battle Level" box
    2. Keep your gear within a level or two of your character level (don't bother to make above blue quality). You'll actually find that Battle Leveling is really, really strong for your stats.
    3. Go PvP!
    4. When you get to v16 then figure out what build you want to play.

Additional: passives that are important but require some work: (1) Mage's Guild, (2) Fighter's Guild, (3) Undaunted, (4) Alliance War.
  • CN_Daniel
    CN_Daniel
    ✭✭✭✭
    You won't be that gimped, but not quite on par with v16s wearing all gold, etc

One of the toughest fights I had all day yesterday was against a level 38 nb. He was obviously someone's new toon, with a lot of CP...but point is exp > stats

Just be ready to die a lot.
  • kingqueso950
    You may want to grind at least 100 CP if you dont have any which really shouldnt take you long and then just find a group to AP farm with till you get vigor then you can start comfortably wrecking people while playing the actual objective
    Ebonhart Pact
    Ascension
    GT: krazyj69
  • Swampfox
    Swampfox
    ✭✭
    I must be the odd one out because i believe you should start learning PVP at Level 10

The earlier you can learn GOOD habits the better

Probably the most misunderstood difference between PVP and PVE is anticipation

After 3 or 4 PVE solo Boss encounters you will learn how to win and after awhile you will still win after making errors galore

In PVP its a whole new ball game

Anticipation comes from experience and fighting other players or groups as much as you can is the only way i know that teaches you that

You have to drive the car yourself as you cant learn much watching someone else doing it

PVP has no short cuts

When your in an MMO community most people are quite willing to give advice on most questions you fire at them

When you know nothing its really hard to tell the good advice from the bad

Don't always accept everything as gospel and be willing to try the advice out to see for yourself

Pretty soon you will no longer need any

Taking the game seriously is quite ok so long as you remember that Losing is because YOU made the Error

Learning what that Error was is your way of improving as you will certainly repeat it if you don't

PVP is supposed to be FUN and many a player soon becomes disillusioned because they keep losing

Even someone who becomes just an average player starts winning eventually

You will often see players getting their ambitions mixed up with their ability

Don't become that player

It is not a coincidence when you see a really top performer doing their stuff they remain really calm throughout the fight

Do become this player

Hope that helps you decide

Swampfox

GM of OWL
    owlwolflegion.com
  • Daveheart
    Daveheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kaynon wrote: »

I'm close to popping VR1, I'm an NB stam. I've done some pvp on the non vet campaign.
    Im wondering now should I just wait till i'm vr16 before venturing back into cyrodil? as a vr1, despite various armour and level differences can I be of any use on the vet campaign?

Cheers
    Kayno

So, you can pvp effectively enough at vr1, provided, you've got gear on par with your level. You may however want to grind up to avoid having to craft gear all the time with your limited resources (I'm assuming you're not made out of gold yet). You'll also make a decent amount of champion points on your way to v16.

As for the bolded part, post your server (EU/NA and PC/PS4/XB1), and I'm sure you'll find people willing to help out and show you the ropes.
    Daggerfall Covenant (PC-NA)

The Order of Mundus | Nightfighters
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever you are ready to start PvP. Start it. Simple, but I'm being pretty straight forwardly serious. If you can't commit and lack confidence then PvP --Nay any sort of player vs player game is not for you.

It is super important to feel strong and confident. A lot of people here touched on some of the on the surface portions of pvp, which hold water. But PvP at its heart is your mind vs your opponents mind. If you take CP out of the picture of course. CP is important to feeling strong (more on that in a second), it's not going to help you win the fights that count the most though.

So with CP, my suggestion is wait til the No CP campaign drops then begin there. When you feel up to playing with the big boys that are near the 501 cap by all means go to a CP approved campaign. I suggest guesting a CP campaign and sciencing how your character feels with CP buffs in it.

Another piece of advice I tell people is, take stuff off your bar that doesn't work. Look for things in your Class Skill tree and other trees you have opened and think about how you can use those Skills. Keep that box of ideas flowing and you'll have the most wicked set of ability bars that are fitted just for you.

So as a small example of how I have been sciencing my ability bar. If you care to read about--

Goes a little like this; Long Range. I was having problems with my MagNB not having long range capabilities. I have a Resto Siphon bar. Which is amazing with all the buffs Siphon gets for having those abilities slotted. But lacked some real punch in the face ability-- this is when I went back to Assassin's Will. Here's what it looks like at a glance.

merciless_resolve.png
    Merciless Resolve

*Build up momentum for 20 seconds.
    *While active, hit with 4 Light or Heavy Attacks to turn this into Assassin’s Will and fire a spectral bow to deal *[x] Magic Damage and reduce the enemy's Movement Speed by 40% for 5 seconds.(x=11k on my Resto bar)
    *Also grants Minor Berserk, increasing your damage by 8%.
    *Assassin’s Will does more damage and snares.

Resto has a pretty respectable reach, tap the button and it can light attack a target pretty quickly. You can weave in Heavy and Light, throw in some Swallow Soul damage, then fire the Spectral Bow and watch them die 1.0. You can literally sit in the back of your party and DPS from the back and kill Sorcs/NB that infiltrate your party VERY quickly. This synergy works because in the time I need to build up the conditions to get the Spectral Bow out, w/ a Gold Resto Staff Heavy/Light attack will bring them down to well over half health and, Swallow will help KEEP them half health long enough too fire the Bow which usually is a killing blow.
    Edited by Takes-No-Prisoner on February 29, 2016 3:00PM
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dont worry you can start right now. I am pretty sure that after 1 week you will know more about PvP than ZoS developers know right now.
    Now real answer. With the new patch you can chose to play in the non champ system. This is my advice.
    Because I can!
  • Kaynon
    Kaynon
    What exactly is happening with that, are we still going to stay at Vr16 or is it we will we become 'champions' just gaining points?
    EU-PC
    Nightblade - Bosmer - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What exactly is happening with that, are we still going to stay at Vr16 or is it we will we become 'champions' just gaining points?

You still keep the VR rank, at least till its removal. It means that in this campaign everybody plays without the e champion system. So you will not be in disadvantage to play against ppl with 400+ CP.
    Because I can!
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »

You still keep the VR rank, at least till its removal. It means that in this campaign everybody plays without the e champion system. So you will not be in disadvantage to play against ppl with 400+ CP.

^^^ This so hard. The CP system in PvP really changes things around. Without a surplus pool of CP to play with, you will notice a difference between yourself and 501 capped folks.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think people undertand how different no cp campaigns will be.

You'll lose the extra stats of having 501 cp.

You'll lose 25% extra dmg right off.

You'll lose your cp sustain which means you'll have to shuffle stuff around so you can sustain. You'll lose more dmg.

Your healing will be horrible as you can't pump cp into it.

Everyone will be in impen because no resistant.

Sorc will have 25% less shields , No one will be able to mitigate dmg by pumping hardy or such.

PS4 EU DC

• Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You'll lose your cp sustain which means you'll have to shuffle stuff around so you can sustain. You'll lose more dmg.

Sorc will have 25% less shields , No one will be able to mitigate dmg by pumping hardy or such.

This is true!
    The main question which I am asking myself is "Will this campaign be as laggy as the others if it is poplocked?"
    Because I can!
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »

This is true!
    The main question which I am asking myself is "Will this campaign be as laggy as the others if it is poplocked?"

It won't be pop locked, after playing with cp and earning them for years how many people do you think will actually not use them?

Anyone 350+ will likely just move to different campaign's

PS4 EU DC

• Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is great though because it introduces new meta. This means pre-existing players can't simply copy pasta their CP focused gear into the Non-CP campaign. But more importantly, it'll still be a better option for newer players. Which will be our life blood in the many months to come. The easier it is for them to do their thing without feeling under powered the better.

• FlounderOG
    FlounderOG
    ✭✭✭
    I went into a busy vet campaign PvP as a Non Vet level 10 on most of my characters. While you will have trouble in small group situations, helping the team is still very possible..
    -Daggerfall Covenant (Xbox NA)-
    Haderus Main
    Tavia Guest
  • catalyst10e
    catalyst10e
    ✭✭✭✭
    Swampfox wrote: »
    I must be the odd one out because i believe you should start learning PVP at Level 10

The earlier you can learn GOOD habits the better

Probably the most misunderstood difference between PVP and PVE is anticipation

After 3 or 4 PVE solo Boss encounters you will learn how to win and after awhile you will still win after making errors galore

In PVP its a whole new ball game

Anticipation comes from experience and fighting other players or groups as much as you can is the only way i know that teaches you that

You have to drive the car yourself as you cant learn much watching someone else doing it

PVP has no short cuts

When your in an MMO community most people are quite willing to give advice on most questions you fire at them

When you know nothing its really hard to tell the good advice from the bad

Don't always accept everything as gospel and be willing to try the advice out to see for yourself

Pretty soon you will no longer need any

Taking the game seriously is quite ok so long as you remember that Losing is because YOU made the Error

Learning what that Error was is your way of improving as you will certainly repeat it if you don't

PVP is supposed to be FUN and many a player soon becomes disillusioned because they keep losing

Even someone who becomes just an average player starts winning eventually

You will often see players getting their ambitions mixed up with their ability

Don't become that player

It is not a coincidence when you see a really top performer doing their stuff they remain really calm throughout the fight

Do become this player

Hope that helps you decide

There is so much awesome here, I wish I could give more points... I wanted to emphasize the last point you made, remain calm. It is the number one thing I always try to convey to newer players. One of the guilds I belong to regularly recruits players completely new to PVP, and we are happy to help them get started on the right foot, but the number one issue they run into is not staying calm during a fight. It takes some practice, and even myself will get a bit overwhelmed and start to just mash buttons or spam attack when I should be defending. But you walk away knowing it's literally not helping to react that way.

Something that can help with PVP, is get the Imperial City DLC and hop into the Arena District. There never seems to be a shortage of fights going on there, it's constant action (no having to ride back to the battle) and it'll get you used to using things like Line of Sight, watching your surroundings, staying with the group... It'll help you figure out, on your own, what skills work in PVP and which don't. You may even discover a few weaknesses in your build as well. If you have some downtime where there isnt much fighting, actually fighting the arena PVE bosses will get you some nice TV stones you can use to get some decent gear for PVP as well. (It's not the best, but it will definitely get you by till you reach VR16 and can focus entirely on gear)
    "Why settle for just stabbing your foes when you can roast them alive in a gout of arcane fire?"
    [| DC Breton Sorcerer || NA PS4 || PSN: Catalyst10e |]
    [| DC Dunmer Dragon Knight |]
  • speeez
    speeez
    ✭✭✭

Cheers
    Kayno

If youre on PC NA mail me at @pspeezy and i can invite you to a pvp community guild - any faction you are is fine :)
    Edited by speeez on March 1, 2016 3:24AM
    Twitch: www.twitch.tv/speeeztv
    YouTube: www.youtube.com/speeeztv
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Priority 1: Join healthy Pvp guild. Ask around, don't be a pest, be friendly, be helpful. WIN.