Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Meteor vs. Storm Atronach

Vaoh
Vaoh
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I am soloing bosses in group dungeons atm and need to pick a High Single Target DoT.

Since this is on console I cannot figure out how much damage the Storm Atronach does. (ZOS please list the DoT strength on the Storm Atronach Zap in the future)

This question is for you PC players with addons. Does the Greater Storm Atronach do more pure single target dps than Ice Comet?

Best Answers

• olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atronach is pretty darn weak in most situations, the zap deals aproxomately same dmg as my lightning staff heavy atk on pts.

PC EU
    PvP only
    Answer ✓
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP just so you know Ice Comet does more dmg as a single attack ( numbers ), however in reality it does less dmg than Shooting Star for 2 reasons

Shooting star does :
    1. Fire damage instead of ice damage Fire>Ice
    2. The damage increases the more people it hits ( now keep in mind there are AoE caps, but it still means that it does more damage ).

:smiley:
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
    Answer ✓
  • Reevster
    Reevster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duiwel wrote: »
    OP just so you know Ice Comet does more dmg as a single attack ( numbers ), however in reality it does less dmg than Shooting Star for 2 reasons

Shooting star does :
    1. Fire damage instead of ice damage Fire>Ice
    2. The damage increases the more people it hits ( now keep in mind there are AoE caps, but it still means that it does more damage ).

:smiley:

So if you were a dark Elf , your shooting star would do 7 percent more damage? Seeing they have the 7 percent fire damage bonus .
    Answer ✓
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @olsborg This is sad. Didn't know Storm Atronach was so weak :(
    I guess Meteor is the best choice then. Not willing to die to that buggy, unresponsive Overload.
    Edited by Vaoh on February 28, 2016 10:48AM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Overload
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Veske_Valrune
    Veske_Valrune
    ✭✭✭
    Overload
    Overload is just the best for single target or 1vX imo. With the right cps you'll be hitting for 20k+ on each light attack
    PC
    North American Server
    Daggerfall Covenant
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reevster wrote: »

So if you were a dark Elf , your shooting star would do 7 percent more damage? Seeing they have the 7 percent fire damage bonus .[/quote]

Yes
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Objectively meteor is better than atronach in most situations, but I prefer atro personally. If the ulti cost of atro was less so I could call it more it would be great. Atro is probably better for 1v1 but I know plently of people who won't duel a sorc with atro. I prefer atro over meteor because it gives no warning whereas meteor puts a ring around your feet for several seconds giving you loads of time to block. Atro lasts longer too meaning the hostile ground you create last longer. Atro is more of a battlefield strategy aid than dps boost imo.

Edit: overload is just another projectile to add to my arsenal of projectiles and why would I want to do that?
    Edited by FriedEggSandwich on February 29, 2016 1:33AM
    PC | EU
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you everyone for these replies. I understand the utility of a Storm Atronach, but also hoped that the Storm Atronach Zap could pull high damage and help more with soloing difficult bosses. Guess not though compared to Meteor.

@FriedEggSandwich I hate Overload so much. So many different bugs and it's a must-use ultimate for Sorcs in plenty of group content or you get looked at weird.

EDIT: Why not just make the toggle from Overload charge your basic attacks? So on every light (or heavy attack) it blasts an Overload Light Attack (or Heavy AoE DoT) when using normal staff blasts/sword swings at your enemy. No need to switch bars, no third bar, no super buggy issues. Damage and ultimate cost can be adjusted to match the speed of light attacks. Just off the top of my head. Seems ZOS will never fix bugs so why not redo the skill?
    Edited by Vaoh on February 29, 2016 8:53AM
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doncellius wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for these replies. I understand the utility of a Storm Atronach, but also hoped that the Storm Atronach Zap could pull high damage and help more with soloing difficult bosses. Guess not though compared to Meteor.

@FriedEggSandwich I hate Overload so much. So many different bugs and it's a must-use ultimate for Sorcs in plenty of group content or you get looked at weird.

EDIT: Why not just make the toggle from Overload charge your basic attacks? So on every light (or heavy attack) it blasts an Overload Light Attack (or Heavy AoE DoT) when using normal staff blasts/sword swings at your enemy. No need to switch bars, no third bar, no super buggy issues. Damage and ultimate cost can be adjusted to match the speed of light attacks. Just off the top of my head. Seems ZOS will never fix bugs so why not redo the skill?

Well tbh if I was doing group pve I would use overload just because it does the damage, there aren't that many bosses that reflect, and you don't have to keep toggling it on and off, boring but effective. But in pvp your targets dodge more, reflect more and LoS more, and also I just think it's a bit cheesy to stand there spamming overload at players. I slot both overload and atronach in pvp but atronach is the only one I use offensively, overload is just there for the 3rd bar, for the likes of retreating maneuver, proxy det and purge. I like atronach for the element of surprise, I just wish it did a bit more damage and/or was cheaper to use, it's 250 ult :(

Edit: now that meteor won't be reflectable in the next patch it will just make make it even more of a clear choice over the other ultis for pvp.
    Edited by FriedEggSandwich on February 29, 2016 9:10AM
    PC | EU
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @FriedEggSandwich I like that Meteor is a very powerful ultimate.

This is as it should be based on the difficulty of acquiring it. However, it is becoming too strong as compared to other ultimates. I think certain class ultimates (especially Negate Magic) need to have their costs lowered a bit.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Overload
    Overload is just the best for single target or 1vX imo. With the right cps you'll be hitting for 20k+ on each light attack

I think my record overload crit is 42k ^^
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer