The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

[GUIDE] Training Levelling Guide - Sorceror

James-Wayne
James-Wayne
✭✭✭✭✭
TRAINING LEVELLING GUIDE
SORCEROR

12493754_10154618071158782_5893482322962122745_o.jpg

This is the Aussie Elders Sorceror levelling guide to help new players build up their Sorceror skills with ease. It's also a great build if your familiar with other MMO's whereby you only need to worry about using one bar (only much less skills) which means no bar swapping, this will be easier to play with a controller while relaxing on the couch because you have less to think about. The build isn't breaking any new ground but hopefully the layout and explanation will make this type of build easy to understand and I know it's not for everyone so use it how you like, make your own changes if need be and remember, have fun playing!

CLASS
Have a guess what class we are using? Actually don't answer that and embarrass yourself we are of course using Sorceror and this will primarily be a stamina based guide but you can level up your magicka based skills while being stamina so you can change at end game if you like.

RACE
What race do we choose for this build? You can pretty much pick any race you like but if you want something specific for end game choose based on that or my choice which is optimal for levelling and still helps you end game. From best to least best is Imperial, Redguard, Orc in that order. If you know you want to go more magicka based later in the game choose something to suit but Breton, Altmer and Dark Elf are all good choices.

ATTRIBUTES
If you've chosen Imperial for your race then put any points you get into Stamina otherwise any other race put your points into Health, simples.

MORPH
We don't require either Werewolf or Vampire to level but if you wish to use it end game then acquire it either by through the story of the game from level 40 onwards or through the crown store so you can begin levelling the skills up much earlier.

MUNDUS
When you find The Warrior stone ensure you grab this one as it's the best one to use while starting out unless of course you have a ton of Champion Points earned from a previous character then you can select The Thief as the best stone to use while levelling.

FOOD
Should you be using food at all times? Yes you should be using food at all times because food will make you stronger in body and skills so always use food, don't bother with drinks unless you're a tank/healer running with dungeon groups where you need more sustain. If you can't craft yourself find someone who can or buy from guilds either the recipe (usually easier to find) or the food themselves and remember as your levelling you won't need much food as we use blue food which lasts for a hour so after a few hours you should be hitting the next bracket for the next food level anyway.

Use the following recipes due to similar produce needed for each meal:
Level 15, Rabbit Loin with Bitter Green - Small Game, Greens
Level 25, Highland Rabbit Stew - Small Game, Greens, Millet
Level 35, Fricasseed Rabbit with Radishes - Small Game, Radish, Seasoning
Level 45, Craglorn Skavenger Stew - Small Game, Carrots, Millet

POTIONS
The only potions I recommend using are Health and Stamina based pots you pick up along the way so you won't need to craft/buy any specific ones as the build takes care of everything you need to level without much stress. If you wish to use experience pots either from traders or the store then I can recommend those to help level you a lot faster but be aware you will out level content very quickly meaning you get experience from completing quests but do not get experience from killing things.

ITEMS
Our items are pretty straight forward and chosen based on a stamina build with lots of critical. You will also want to ensure you have a minimum one of each type of armour so we level up all 3 armour types. If you can't craft the items yourself most crafters should do it for a modest fee, some will even craft it for free so longs you provide the materials. There are also a number of guilds that provide these items in their guild store so you don't have to chase them. I use the exploration trait on all my pieces to run around the world available to me till I gain Level 10 (Level 15 if use experience pots) and then I swap items to use the training trait to boost skill XP from 10-50.

If you have access to crafting yourself or through a guild store you will want to go for 5 pieces of Hunding's Rage and 4 pieces of Night Mother's Gaze. Now I've heard people say 5 piece Night Mothers Gaze is better however my research has shown me that although there is a ton of enemies with physical damage there is also lots with spell resistance and therefore it just doesn't penetrate as hard as what extra weapon damage does (especially in the early levels) plus the reduction in armour compared to the extra weapon damage you get from lower levels is much better but I'll let you be the judge which is best. If you don't have access to gain any 6 trait gear then you can use 5 pieces of Ashen's Grip and 4 pieces of Night's Silence which you can craft at only 2 traits till you can afford or craft these sets.

How often should you be replacing your gear to remain optimal? I upgrade my gear to purple quality so it can last for up to 20 levels (2-3 changes) but I understand if your starting out you probably wouldn't have built up the materials I have so keep it to green or blue if you can which should be good for at least 10 levels.

SKILLS

LEVELS 3-14
During the starter levels you want to start levelling each skill line so you have access to the skills you need later on. You should have at least one skill from each skill line on your bar and ensure you start The Fighters Guild quest line early on so you can start levelling that too. Please check out my exploration levelling guide HERE if you would like an easy boost to the beginning of the game. Remember to collect all sky shards and focus on the main quests as they provide the largest amount of XP.

LEVELS 15-30
Once you setup your skill bar with the following skills and reach Level 15 weapon swapping you can level up other skills by using the second bar when you turn in quests and use the primary bars below while adventuring.

1) FIGHTERS GUILD / SILVER BOLTS / SILVER LEASH
Description: Fire a Dawnguard Vampire Hunter's crossbow bolt to strike an enemy for Physical Damage. Knocks down Daedra targets and has a chance to deal additional Damage. Activating this ability again after hitting a target pulls undead and daedra towards you dealing Physical Damage.
Notes: Dragonknights have their fiery grip ability and everyone else gets this ability to use which is very effective against daedra and seeing the main storyline is mostly daedra this skill is always helping. The other reason we use this is to taunt enemies from a distance and bring them in closer so we can AOE them down.

2) DUAL WEILD / WHIRLWIND / STEEL TORNADO
Description: Launch yourself into a lethal spin dealing Physical Damage to nearby enemies plus up to 100% additional damage to low health targets. Increased radius from 5 Meters to 11 Meters.
Notes:This is a damage making machine! Once you've rounded up all your enemies let a few of these rip and burn them down quickly. It's that easy!

3) STORM CALLING / SURGE / CRITICAL SURGE
Description: Invoke Meridia's name to get a rush of power, granting you Major Brutality, which increases Weapon Damage. Critical strikes heal player for 50% of the damage inflicted while this ability is active. This has a cool down.
Notes: This skill was recently changed and makes this build really easy. It provides you a 20% buff to your weapon damage and self-heals you from your critical damage you do which due to the high critical chance we have we will always be doing critical damage so will always be healing ourselves. brilliant!! My main Templar has puncturing sweep for the heals but that's close range and doesn't heal based on critical damage, this skill is WAY better due to it working with any critical damage and any skill that can produce critical damage.

4) STORM CALLING / LIGHTNING FORM / THUNDERING PRESENCE
Description: Manifest yourself as lightning to gain Major Resolve and Major Ward, increasing Armour and Spell Resistance. While active, nearby enemies will take Shock Damage each second. The morph uses Max Stamina, Weapon Damage and Weapon Critical and grants Major Expedition plus deals more damage during the first 4 seconds.
Notes: We use this for the major armour and spell resistance buff we get plus as a stamina build your shock damage is based on stamina and weapon so win win here.

5) DAEDRIC SUMMONING / BOUND ARMOR / BOUND ARMAMENTS
Description: Protect yourself with the power of Oblivion, creating a suit of daedric mail that grants Minor Resolve, increasing your Armour. This ability now uses Stamina and increases the damage of Heavy Attacks and increases your Max Stamina when active.
Notes: This gives us a minor boost in armour but what we really take it for is the increase to max stamina when active. Having that much stamina in the lower levels makes levelling a walk in the park especially if you have a racial passive that also boost stamina because remember more stamina we have, more damage we do.

U) STORM CALLING / OVERLOAD / POWER OVERLOAD
Description: Charge your fists with the power of the storm. Light Attacks become lightning bolts, dealing Shock Damage, and Heavy Attacks blast enemies in front of you for Shock Damage. Attacks deplete Ultimate until you run out or the ability is toggled off. Increased range and radius of heavy attacks.
Notes: I simply love love this ultimate! Not only does it give you a third bar with your chosen skills but the damage the light attacks do from a distance are insane!! I usually save the ultimate for delve running because there are very few mobs in delves so you run through and let bolts go left and right and if you still have ultimate left by the time you get to the boss just let loose on the heavy attack!

LEVELS 30-50
In the later levels we swap out a few skills for more powerful skills however if you find you are low on stamina and/or health and stamina recovery then keep using Bound Armaments as it's provides you with a 8% increase to your stamina and 20% health and stamina recovery through the daedric protection passive.

1) FIGHTERS GUILD / SILVER BOLTS / SILVER LEASH
Description: Fire a Dawnguard Vampire Hunter's crossbow bolt to strike an enemy for Physical Damage. Knocks down Daedra targets and has a chance to deal additional Damage. Activating this ability again after hitting a target pulls undead and daedra towards you dealing Physical Damage.
Notes: You should have the silver leash morph by now so continue to use for the gap closer and taunting your enemies otherwise also feel free to level other long range skills up in this slot like Hidden Blade from the dual wield skill line.

2) DUAL WEILD / WHIRLWIND / STEEL TORNADO
Description: Launch yourself into a lethal spin dealing Physical Damage to nearby enemies plus up to 100% additional damage to low health targets. Increased radius from 5 Meters to 11 Meters.
Notes: Your loving this skill right now aren't you. I thought you might! The increased radius on the morph coupled with that brilliant ability below means they can't touch you!

3) STORM CALLING / SURGE / CRITICAL SURGE
Description: Invoke Meridia's name to get a rush of power, granting you Major Brutality, which increases Weapon Damage. Critical strikes heal player for 50% of the damage inflicted while this ability is active. This has a cool down.
Notes: No further notes here required, speaks volumes. only wish other classes had something like it.

4) STORM CALLING / LIGHTNING FORM / THUNDERING PRESENCE
Description: Manifest yourself as lightning to gain Major Resolve and Major Ward, increasing Armour and Spell Resistance. While active, nearby enemies will take Shock Damage each second. The morph uses Max Stamina, Weapon Damage and Weapon Critical and grants Major Expedition plus deals more damage during the first 4 seconds.
Notes: I suppose your using the Major Expedition to speed up your delve running too, yeah it's pretty great.

5) FIGHTERS GUILD / EXPERT HUNTER / EVIL HUNTER
Description: Invoke your expertise in anatomy and enemy behaviour to give your attacks a chance to cause an additional Magic Damage against undead and daedra and a smaller chance against other enemies. Killing undead and daedra refreshes the duration of this ability. While this ability is slotted on your Action Bar undead and daedra are highlighted and you gain Major Savagery which increases your Weapon Critical by 20%. Each attack also restores Stamina while this ability is active.
Notes: This skill is hard to get because you need to destroy lots of dolmens and defeat lots of daedra but you should have access to it by Level 30 so start using it and when you hit the morph that provides a 20% weapon critical buff meaning your sitting above 70-80% crit you'll be laughing as you melt your enemies away.

U) FIGHTERS GUILD / DAWNBREAKER / FLAWLESS DAWNBREAKER
Description: Arm yourself with Meridia's Sacred Sword and dispense her retribution dealing Magic Damage to enemies in front of you and additional Magic Damage. Deals 60% increased damage to daedra enemies. While this ability is slotted on your Action Bar gain an extra 5% (8% @ Rank 4) Weapon Damage.
Notes: Probably the longest grind to get access to seeing it's on Level 10 but if you do all the main quests and each dolmens a few times you should have it by Level 40-45. The main reason we slot this is for the weapon damage increase on the morph meaning we're not melting enemies, were vaporising them!

PASSIVES
As you progress through the game levelling collecting sky shards and gaining skill points you will need to ensure you select the following passives before any other passives. If you have additional points and have all the skills and passives in this guide then select skills you need to level up leaving the other passives till end game.

DAEDRIC SUMMONING
POWER STONE - reduces the cost of all ultimate abilities by 8/15%.
DAEDRIC PROTECTION - increases health regeneration and stamina regeneration by 10/20% with any summoning ability slotted on your action bar.

STORM CALLING
CAPACITOR - increases magicka regeneration by 5/10%.
ENERGIZED - increases the damage of storm calling abilities by 3/5%.
DISINTEGRATE - gives all shock spells a 3%/6% chance to instantly disintegrate low health targets, dealing shock damage.
EXPERT MAGE - increases spell damage and weapon damage by 1/2% for each sorcerer ability slotted on your action bar.

DARK MAGIC
UNHOLY KNOWLEDGE - reduces ability magicka and stamina costs by 3/5%.

DUAL WIELD
SLAUGHTER - increases damage with dual wield abilities by 10/20% against enemies with less than 25% health.
CONTROLLED FURY - reduces the cost of dual wield abilities by 10/20%.
TWIN BLADE AND BLUNT - grants 25/50% chance to bleed for physical damage over 8 seconds with dual axes. Deal 2.5/5% bonus damage to heavily armoured enemies with dual maces. Deal 1.5/2.5% more damage with dual swords. Increases weapon critical by 2.5/5% with dual daggers.

FIGHTERS GUILD
SLAYER - increases spell and weapon damage by 3/6% when attacking undead and daedra.
SKILLED TRACKER - allows fighter's guild abilities which effect undead and daedra to also effect werewolves.
BANISH THE WICKED - bestows 3/6 ultimate when killing undead and daedra.

CHAMPION SYSTEM
I won't be covering the champion system in this build as it's more for starting characters but if you do have a ton of champion points then put points into the respective fields that are going to enhance the power of the levelling like mighty, precise strikes, quick recovery and warlord. Using champion points you will find it incredibly easy and sometimes boring but certainly speeds the levelling progress up tenfold!

That's it, I hope you find this guide useful but please feel free to leave your comments or questions below, thank you.
Edited by James-Wayne on January 15, 2016 11:12AM
PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
529 people have also earned this badge.
  • Adraeus
    Adraeus
    How long would it take to build a crafting alt that could make all of this gear from scratch?
    Edited by Adraeus on February 11, 2016 8:09AM
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting guide, but I would highly recommend steering clear of STAM SORC especially with the Thieves Guild update...

Altmer is and will always be the best sorc race followed by Breton close second.

While stam sorc might be fun, dps-wise you will never beat a good Mag sorc so for race I recommend not deviating from tried & true.

Play what you like but don't cry later on if you are "disadvantaged"

Other than that this is a pretty nice guide and looks fun I might give it a shot on my AD sorc just to see what stam sorc is like :relieved:

Kudos OP
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • James-Wayne
    James-Wayne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duiwel wrote: »
    Interesting guide, but I would highly recommend steering clear of STAM SORC especially with the Thieves Guild update...

Altmer is and will always be the best sorc race followed by Breton close second.

While stam sorc might be fun, dps-wise you will never beat a good Mag sorc so for race I recommend not deviating from tried & true.

Other than that this is a pretty nice guide and looks fun I might give it a shot on my AD sorc just to see what stam sorc is like :relieved:

Kudos OP

Agreed. This build is purely just for levelling and once I hit VR16 I actually moved over to a Magicka Sorc myself. I've tried both for levelling and the Stam Sorc made the job much more fun and faster but like you said the game can be played your own way so do what works best for you.

Next DLC Steel Tornado does have a radius nerf but it also gets a slight damage buff so it won't change the levelling process for this guide to a great extent but thanks for bringing it up.
    PERTH, AUSTRALIA | PC | NA | @Aussie-Elders

TENTH ANNIVERSARY - Thanks for sticking with us for 10 years.
    James-Wayne you earned this badge 9:56AM on 4th of February 2024.
    529 people have also earned this badge.
  • yoco007
    yoco007
    Hey! Is there any similar guide for Templars? I'm thinking of trying this game once again and I've never played templar before!
  • D0ntevenL1ft
    D0ntevenL1ft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duiwel wrote: »

Kudos OP

Agreed. This build is purely just for levelling and once I hit VR16 I actually moved over to a Magicka Sorc myself. I've tried both for levelling and the Stam Sorc made the job much more fun and faster but like you said the game can be played your own way so do what works best for you.

Next DLC Steel Tornado does have a radius nerf but it also gets a slight damage buff so it won't change the levelling process for this guide to a great extent but thanks for bringing it up.

Would also suggest switching thundering presence for boundless. The damage from thundering isn't significant so you should save your stam for something useful while also getting a longer expedition buff.
    Edited by D0ntevenL1ft on February 26, 2016 3:16AM