The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Trapping Webs

DjKahun
DjKahun
✭✭✭
Just wanted you guys to share your views on this skill, I use it on my Duel Wield sorcerer until I unlock Magicka Detonation. One disadvantage i find with this spell is that it uses a lot of Magicka. Can you guys think of any other replacement spells? For single target dps?
~ Snowborn ~ Ebonheart Loyals ~
V16 - Stamina Templar - Nord [PS4-EU][Ebonheart Pact]
V16 - Magicka Sorcerer - Dark Elf [PS4-EU][Ebonheart Pact]
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's only useful in pvp, and then it's good because of the snare + proc frags.
    PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • DjKahun
    DjKahun
    ✭✭✭

I only ever do PVP haven't done any PVE hah, but I do find that I run out of magicka if I have a really long battle or I fight against a lot of people
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DjKahun wrote: »

I only ever do PVP haven't done any PVE hah, but I do find that I run out of magicka if I have a really long battle or I fight against a lot of people

For a DW Sorc, I think webs is your only single target ability, unless you want to spam mages wrath (rofl). All snare abilities generally come at high costs in this game because they are extremely powerful. I'm kinda glad about that tbh.
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »

For a DW Sorc, I think webs is your only single target ability, unless you want to spam mages wrath (rofl). All snare abilities generally come at high costs in this game because they are extremely powerful. I'm kinda glad about that tbh.

Apart from stampede, lotus fan and now sweeps/jabs on the pts.

There just naturally in someones rotation :(

Snares need to be toned down a bit, every has access to easy 70% snares... apart from dk's who have that OP 30% snare that needs buffed.
    PS4 EU DC

• DjKahun
    DjKahun
    ✭✭✭
    Got to love the snare, people are dead before they even get to you lol, yes the only disadvatage is the cost I try not to spam it too much if I can help it
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Apart from stampede, lotus fan and now sweeps/jabs on the pts.

There just naturally in someones rotation :(

Snares need to be toned down a bit, every has access to easy 70% snares... apart from dk's who have that OP 30% snare that needs buffed.

Ah crap, good point. Forgot about those ones xD

I really dislike snares. They are making up 90% of the game - hell, even every NPC has a freaking snare.
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AFAIK Tangling Webs is the only single target Spammable DPS skill available for a DW Magicka Sorc. For small group play, it is seriously OP, due to the Synergy.

Yes, it is expensive, but going dual-wield, means you are looking for the burst. Hence you should NEVER find yourself spamming this ability more than 2-3 times in a row tops. After that, you should begin your rotation of Deto, Curse, Frags, Endless Fury, or whatever combo works for you.
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe something to add - even for burstbuilds with the next patch there is no real reason to go DW anymore. 350 spelldmg isn´t worth giving up lightattacks when you get 25% increased magic and elemental dmg.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    Maybe something to add - even for burstbuilds with the next patch there is no real reason to go DW anymore. 350 spelldmg isn´t worth giving up lightattacks when you get 25% increased magic and elemental dmg.

You get around 400 spell dmg unbuffed extra.

Then 5% plus extra dmg.

It's worth it for some builds.
    PS4 EU DC

• DjKahun
    DjKahun
    ✭✭✭

True well I will be DW until the patch, + im dark elf so I get a little bonus using flame staff
  • GrigorijMalahevich
    GrigorijMalahevich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spam Structured Entropy on my DW. It doesn't have any dmg, but it gets me 20% spell dmg buff and 20% empower for Crystal Frags. You don't really care about spamable dmg with dual wield as you try to time Magicka Detonation with Curse and then you can send you frags and Dawn-breaker. As I play dual wield on my main bar and Structured Entropy is not such a bad heal, plus CF heals you massively - I don't use resto staff and use sword and shield instead (talking about defensive stance). It works great in Sorc mirrors (talking about 1x1 against other Sorcs) as I can spam reflect and other supporting spells (harness; defensive rune) while my magicka detonation is charging.

Works very well against medium/good players and against top 1% of EU X-box that already know my strategy - everyone who tries to adapt just spams Crushing shock/heavy attacks. For some reason defensive stance reflects heavy staff attacks and then it is just a resource management game.

I found Tangling Webs very expensive to spam and you need to always cast Surge (in PvP useless from my point of view, even though you can cast it prior to battle and even cast it while in stealth) for your spell dmg bonus or have Structured Entropy on main or buff bar as well as Tangling Webs. You really need around 450 CP to be able to use Tangling Webs and not run out of magicka. Considering that you usually plan to kill someone as soon as possible and get on to the next target, this is very important to efficient PvP.

P.S. you can cast structured entropy on various enemies and get heals from all of them and it procs Skoria's Meteor. With coming of TG this strategy is going to be stronger as Structured Entropy will work on shields and Skoria is buffed.

Just my 5 cent.
    PC/EU 800 CP.
    PvP MagSorc.
    Pedro Gonzales - Mag Sorc EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/CB6j6
    Valera Progib - Stam Sorc DC vMA Flawless Conqueror clear https://i.imgur.com/eYgpXG2.png
    Valera Pozhar - Mag DK EP vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/jrsuK
    Valera Podlechi - Mag Templar AD vMA Flawless Conqueror clear http://imgur.com/a/N0BYq
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Short review of the skill:

+ Good damage
    + Great snare
    + Scales with Thaumaturge which should be (until next patch) where you allocate your CP

- Cost

The main problem is that it's like 30% more expensive (which is a lot) compared to Crushing Shock/ Force Pulse. If you're hiding in a large group it's great to range snare players and prevent them from running away from your group. In small scale or solo pvp you'll find it pushing your magicka sustain quite a lot though.

In the next patch you switch to Elemental Expert and the damage of Pulse will come very close to that of Webs. With the damage differential being very small, it's a question of sustain vs snare. Which is your choice....unless you equip DW.

Overall.. sustain, average damage and ultimate building are higher with Destro (especially if you have Maelstrom) compared to DW. However with DW you can deliver higher AoE burst from the common ProxyDet + Streak + Dawnbreaker/Meteor combo.

It all works, it depends what suits your play-style.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Xeven
    Xeven
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh goddamnit.
  • DjKahun
    DjKahun
    ✭✭✭
    I love the syngergy whenever I run around with my mate or guild I always tell them to use it hah love the spiders xd
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love the syngergy whenever I run around with my mate or guild I always tell them to use it hah love the spiders xd

First time I used it in BwB, EP stopped attacking us and started killing the spiders. Nobody really knew where they came from xD
  • DjKahun
    DjKahun
    ✭✭✭

First time I used it in BwB, EP stopped attacking us and started killing the spiders. Nobody really knew where they came from xD

Haha now that's funny but I wish there was like a 10% chance to spawn spiders instead of synergy
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Haha now that's funny but I wish there was like a 10% chance to spawn spiders instead of synergy

They'd probably have to lower the damage of the synergy, but yeah that would be damn cool
  • DjKahun
    DjKahun
    ✭✭✭

They'd probably have to lower the damage of the synergy, but yeah that would be damn cool

Yeah agreed but I don't reckon they would ever do that lol
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you AC nothing but abilities I cannot fathom how A staff can get to the same dps.

Frag 12k, Webs (or Daedric Tomb) 6-10k, Curse 9k, Wrath 4 to 14k, streak (maybe used) 5k.

No light or heavy attack hits for that much instantly.

My main DW PvP is: daedric tomb (insta spam for massive damage and AC able) ward, curse, wrath, and frag.

It goes: curse, tomb, frag, wrath, tomb, frag etc... all instant, all AC, no time to weave a small LA or HA in there. That's a pretty massive amount of constant pressure.

I have weaved before, it is definitely slower than AC.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • MrGigglypants
    MrGigglypants
    ✭✭✭
    If you AC nothing but abilities I cannot fathom how A staff can get to the same dps.

Frag 12k, Webs (or Daedric Tomb) 6-10k, Curse 9k, Wrath 4 to 14k, streak (maybe used) 5k.

No light or heavy attack hits for that much instantly.

My main DW PvP is: daedric tomb (insta spam for massive damage and AC able) ward, curse, wrath, and frag.

It goes: curse, tomb, frag, wrath, tomb, frag etc... all instant, all AC, no time to weave a small LA or HA in there. That's a pretty massive amount of constant pressure.

I have weaved before, it is definitely slower than AC.

I can weave clip all those abilities to proc molag kena before det curse goes off upping my damage by 600+ spell power and have heavies for added burst on a proc frag curse det combo. Tbh dw is for people who can't light clip proc kena.
  • aLi3nZ
    aLi3nZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am a dw sourc but I have inferno staff on my other bar. So I spam crushing shock/force pulse like everyone else. Healing comes from power surge and tri pots. Next patch it will come from froma pet.

I had tried dw bar only for attacks and found the same issue you ran into. Run out of magica too fast and also trapping webs damage isn't that great. There is also the issue of not being able to easily generate ultimate from light and heavy attacks. I ended up just missing my fire staff too much and it felt wrong to be without it. Do you have restro staff on your other bar?
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kena... I do not have :( so I'm in agreement with you. Didn't really think about that one honestly.

Second is also true about ult gain...

I just kinda hate running destro staff, feels so clunky and cliche imo.

Aren't they changing kena tho were weaves no longer proc it?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds