Maintenance for the week of March 18:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – March 18
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 19, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 1:00PM EDT (17:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – March 20, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)

Newish Player looking for feedback on DLC

munkt0r
munkt0r
✭✭✭
Hi guys!

I'm a "newish" player...basically i'm 45th level and been playing since November of 2015.

I'm really enjoying my time playing and considering purchasing the DLC.

Based on some random stuff i've read on the boards, IC isn't really PVP only, it has a lot of PVE as well.

My question is, for a guy that mostly enjoys PVE and dungeon crawling, should I buy both imperial city and wrothgar, or just wrothgar?

Should I go the plus route or just buy the DLC outright? What's the proscribed method/benefits of each?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
  • MissBizz
    MissBizz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could sign up for ESO plus for one month and try both of them (if you wait until mid-Feb or March when Thieves Guild is released you can try all 3) and see which ones you like the most, and that 1 month of plus will give you 1500 crowns to put toward a DLC.

Personally I go with ESO+ 100% of the time, although I've been playing a long time so I know I really enjoy the game. I also have the way of thinking "If I'm not playing ESO enough to sub, I won't be playing enough to need access to the DLC". It also has some extra perks incoming such as crafting bags that will hold an infinite amount of crafting supplies (and will only be for ESO+ members) hopefully with Dark Brotherhood DLC.

IC is fun with small groups AND includes 2 group dungeons (both each have normal and vet mode). So if you love dungeon crawling IC might be great just for those. Orsinium is a very PvE zone where you can definitely solo the story and whatnot, but unless you are VERY well geared and skilled, you will need help with world bosses and the public dungeons.
    Edited by MissBizz on January 29, 2016 2:57PM
    Lone Wolf HelpFor the solo players who know, sometimes you just need a hand.PC | NA | AD-DC-EP | Discord
  • munkt0r
    munkt0r
    ✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    You could sign up for ESO plus for one month and try both of them (if you wait until mid-Feb or March when Thieves Guild is released you can try all 3) and see which ones you like the most, and that 1 month of plus will give you 1500 crowns to put toward a DLC.

Personally I go with ESO+ 100% of the time, although I've been playing a long time so I know I really enjoy the game. I also have the way of thinking "If I'm not playing ESO enough to sub, I won't be playing enough to need access to the DLC". It also has some extra perks incoming such as crafting bags that will hold an infinite amount of crafting supplies (and will only be for ESO+ members) hopefully with Dark Brotherhood DLC.

IC is fun with small groups AND includes 2 group dungeons (both each have normal and vet mode). So if you love dungeon crawling IC might be great just for those. Orsinium is a very PvE zone where you can definitely solo the story and whatnot, but unless you are VERY well geared and skilled, you will need help with world bosses and the public dungeons.

Much appreciated!

I'm leery of the subscription because I do not get to keep the DLC if I unsub. I'd rather pay for it outright.

Also, from my experience playing MMO's, they want you to sub - enjoy the benefits and then keep the sub. 6 months of subbing would cost me roughly $90.00...the DLC's cost me $40.00.

What did I gain for the $50 difference? Some crowns for silly costumes and mounts?

Now with a 3rd DLC in the mix, that'd shift the #'s a bit...but I still think I'd rather outright purchase.
  • AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    munkt0r wrote: »
    MissBizz wrote: »

Much appreciated!

I'm leery of the subscription because I do not get to keep the DLC if I unsub. I'd rather pay for it outright.

Also, from my experience playing MMO's, they want you to sub - enjoy the benefits and then keep the sub. 6 months of subbing would cost me roughly $90.00...the DLC's cost me $40.00.

What did I gain for the $50 difference? Some crowns for silly costumes and mounts?

Now with a 3rd DLC in the mix, that'd shift the #'s a bit...but I still think I'd rather outright purchase.

They're releasing a quarterly DLC, so it doesn't end up being that big a difference. And you can use your crowns for XP scrolls to level alts.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I see your point on the subbing. However I waste more than $15 a month on junk food. There are other items in the crown store that do have some benefit in the game, such as Horse Training and Bag Space Upgrades (although once we get crafting bags, have to wonder how useful those will be) and some other things.

So, I have a 3 month sub, it hits my CC for $45 and I never really notice it when I pay that bill. I also have about 22000 crowns built up (down from 26,000 after the bag space upgrade sale*) so if I ever dropped the sub, I could buy all the DLC.

I would suggest do a 3 month sub, that will get you 4500 crowns so that you can buy two of the DLCs if you drop the sub. So, it will cost you the same either way. Plus you pick up a 10% boost to exp, inspiration, gold and that can really help with leveling a character.

*Going from 170 spaces to 200 spaces on all 7 of my characters and mules would have wiped out my gold balance.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• munkt0r
    munkt0r
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
  • Morozov
    Morozov
    ✭✭✭
    here's what I will say about IC......don't go alone unless you want to get ganked. I think from the PVE side of things, its kinda lacking. Once you finish the small amount of PVE content there is you are left with farming mob's for telvar stones...and that's IF you don't get ganked by the numerous nightblades who patrol the known farming areas of each faction.

If it were my money, I would stick to purchasing Wrothgar and leave IC till they revamp it a bit. You can still get your PVP kicks from Cyrodiil without the frustration kicking in as fast as IC
    AD
    Victorem
    PC - NA - AZ
    Vr 16: Morozov - DK
    Vr 1: Zephyr Grimm - Sorc
    Vr 5: Sad_Bunnie - Templar
    23: Repressed-Canadian-Rage - NB
    Voted "Most likely to squirrel off the crown" PC-NA
  • munkt0r
    munkt0r
    ✭✭✭
    Morozov wrote: »
    here's what I will say about IC......don't go alone unless you want to get ganked. I think from the PVE side of things, its kinda lacking. Once you finish the small amount of PVE content there is you are left with farming mob's for telvar stones...and that's IF you don't get ganked by the numerous nightblades who patrol the known farming areas of each faction.

If it were my money, I would stick to purchasing Wrothgar and leave IC till they revamp it a bit. You can still get your PVP kicks from Cyrodiil without the frustration kicking in as fast as IC

So Tel Var stones aren't really requisite for much other than getting materials to craft yellow gear?
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

So Tel Var stones aren't really requisite for much other than getting materials to craft yellow gear?

Not yellow gear so much, just max-level enchantments really. That and there is one specific enchantment that needs a component you only find in Imperial City. However both of these things can be bought from other players.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • munkt0r
    munkt0r
    ✭✭✭
    wayfarerx wrote: »

Not yellow gear so much, just max-level enchantments really. That and there is one specific enchantment that needs a component you only find in Imperial City. However both of these things can be bought from other players.

I see.

Thank you for clarifying. I don't do enchanting, so i'd prolly just buy it. I've been focusing on blacksmithing.