Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Who's Turn is it for Character Copy?

Casdha
Casdha
✭✭✭✭✭
Who's Turn is it for Character Copy?

I was just wondering about this, Also

Will it be on PTS long enough for Both Servers to get a Character Copy?
Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• NTclaymore
    NTclaymore
    ✭✭✭✭
    its the US turn. Its allways the US turn.
    He spoke, the son of Padomay, and nodded his head with the dark brows
    and the imortally anointed hair of the great god
    swept from his divine head, and all Mundus was shaken.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    We're currently planning on doing a North American character copy first when the PTS is updated with Thieves Guild, and later switching so characters from the European megaserver get equal amounts of testing time.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Takllin
    Takllin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We're currently planning on doing a North American character copy first when the PTS is updated with Thieves Guild, and later switching so characters from the European megaserver get equal amounts of testing time.

Will it ever be the other way around, and NA gets a shot at the PTS for the later half?

We've consistently been put on first and miss chances to test things on our own characters when the bug fixes go in just in time for EU to get their shot at the PTS.
    Jadokis - AD Redguard DK v16 AR 18
    Jàsènn - AD Orc Templar 47 AR 10
    Jessèn - AD Dunmer DK v16 AR 9 - Former Empress of Blackwater Blade

Tekllin - AD Altmer Sorcerer v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Tekklin - AD Bosmer Nightblade v16 AR 12 (Ret.)
    Jasenn - DC Imperial Templar v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Jasènn - DC Orc Sorcerer v16 AR 15 (Ret.)
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do the EU first. I want the second copy after all of the broken stuff is fixed.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do the EU first. I want the second copy after all of the broken stuff is fixed.

Yeah I'm sick of getting shafted for testing things with my characters since the first build of PTS patches is always broken in some horrendous way.
    Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we please get more frequent character copies? We in NA get 2 weeks of time, then EU gets an entire quarter. If I want to test something (for example, crafting a very expensive set of gear and see how well it does), I can't do that on the PTS because my character isn't there for all but two weeks per quarter.

Do a copy every month or so, so that the PTS is available for testing things outside of pure DLC testing.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • lonewolf26
    lonewolf26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno are there plans to do multiple cycles of character copies this go-round? This would enable is to test fixes to the update program that need to go in before go live. We want to avoid another bank update problem, and this is the only way to verify a fix did resolve the issue.
    Edited by lonewolf26 on January 21, 2016 10:39PM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget they have to balance character copies with progression. Every time they do a copy, progression is wiped, so they need the copies on there for long enough for people to reach the "end" of the content. I remember having to restart one of the previous DLCs three times because they did extra copies in the middle of a cycle.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • DschiPeunt
    DschiPeunt
    ✭✭✭✭
    I still don't understand, why they cannot copy the chars from both servers at the same time. Anyone can explain?
    Server: EU AD || Guilds: EquinoX

Telleno || Dro-M'Athra Destroyer || Magicka DK || My YouTube-Channel || Profile on ESO-Database

World 1st vMoL Hardmode
    World 1st vHRC Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vAA Hardmode (SotH)
    World 1st vSO Hardmode (Dark Brotherhood)
  • kungmoo
    kungmoo
    ✭✭✭
    DschiPeunt wrote: »
    I still don't understand, why they cannot copy the chars from both servers at the same time. Anyone can explain?

for one, character names... there may be someone on EU with the same name as you... so would complicate things there
    Some men are alive simply because it is against the law to kill them. -Edward W. Howe
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Redundant character names, and folks like me who have characters made on both servers.

• Kas
    Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Could you PLEASE try to compile templates that are somewhat in the line (quality-wise) with the second templates during last pts. It would be really nice if EU players could start testing the interesting things (trial, class balance) with templates, already.

Also for CP: I very much preferred the 1.6 style where templates actually offered MORE CP. Some people just had fun with 3.6k, but if you were serious, you could try out different allocations and figure out how the scaling numbers work in practice.

IC and Orsinium were not ideal given we only had V14 stuff at the time (and non-ideal sets). Combined with the half-damage bug in MSA, Orsinium PTSwas really painful for the first two weeks
    @bbu - AD/EU
    Kasiia - Templar (AR46)
    Kasiir Aberion - Sorc (AR38)
    Dr Kastafari - Warden (~AR31)
    + many others
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We need templates with all new sets to test with the first transfer, not to wait half a month to get it for tests.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys, I started a thread specifically for template requests, so if you have some specifics you'd like to see included in the templates this time around, feel free to add to the list!
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • silky_soft
    silky_soft
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you unplan that and do eu first please
    Here $15, goat mount please. Not paying 45 : lol :
    Netch is free with a cleanse and free magika. You nerf siphon into the ground. Nice balance team.
    How do you go home every night and say, I did a great job at work today. You actually do your job properly.
    Step 1: roll templar. Step 2: level up jabs. Step 3: slap on weapon damage build. Step 4: que for bg. Step 5: leap...jabsjabsjabsjabs
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    can someone enlighten me as to why they cant just make character copy for anyone? in UO we had 12-14 separate servers and test shard had character copy for anyone to bring over from those servers.
    Edited by Mojmir on January 25, 2016 1:27AM
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mojmir wrote: »
    can someone enlighten me as to why they cant just make character copy for anyone? in UO we had 12-14 separate servers and test shard had character copy for anyone to bring over from those servers.

Shared log in server but separate gaming servers. I have characters on NA and Characters on EU, should I get a total of 16 characters copied over? I really only have 8 between the two but I do have 16 slots.

Also Character names can't be duplicated on a server and both servers have several names that are used by two different players. Depending on which server the character resides, two different people could own the same character name.
    Edited by Casdha on January 25, 2016 2:37AM

• Tomato
    Tomato
    ✭✭✭✭

Can we actually get a date?
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    We'll let everyone know when the update will be on the PTS as soon as we can. :)
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • americansteel
    americansteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    We'll let everyone know when the update will be on the PTS as soon as we can. :)

ETA?
    NO LONGER PLAYING ESO

POOR SERVER PERFORMANCE
    LAG
    LOAD SCREENS
    DONE
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    ETA is currently early February.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Staff Post
  • americansteel
    americansteel
    ✭✭✭✭

thansk for the reply, but what is character copy?
    NO LONGER PLAYING ESO

POOR SERVER PERFORMANCE
    LAG
    LOAD SCREENS
    DONE
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They make a copy of your characters from the live server over to the PTS so that you can test with your own toons if you wish, rather than just being stuck with Templates.
    Edited by Casdha on January 25, 2016 2:38AM

• tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »

They make a copy of your characters from the live server over to the PTS so that you can test with your own toons if you wish, rather than just being stuck with Templates.

Yeah, so you can go ahead and make a template, get the new gear for testing, put it in the bank, then collect it and equip it on your character copy to see how it would work when the update goes live.
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    We don't need eu transfer first. First week is always unplayable coz bunch of bugs, while second week for eu is time when everything can be tested for real, instead of fighting bugs. Let na be guinea pig. >:)
    @ZOS_GinaBruno will we get pts date on next eso live?
    Edited by Cinbri on January 25, 2016 9:24AM
  • Desimator
    Desimator
    ✭✭
    A character copy is completely unnecessary in my opinion all they would need to do is set the templates up with all traits researched and add in a materials folder and leaving in all the items that were available to us on the last PTS then I can make the gear I normally use and switch in the new gear at will to test the pros and cons character copy problem solved.
    Unfortunately ZOS has a habit of having the first template characters be useless having about half the gear choice of the second testing phaze I think it's on purpose so that not as many ppl will play during this period so they can iron out some of the kinks and the fact the pts is not build for large numbers but thats just how things are done
  • BuggeX
    BuggeX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xab0db.jpg
    #makemagickadkgreataigan
    #givemeaexecute
    #ineedheal
    #betterhotfixgrindspots
  • duncan_cougarpreeb18_ESO
    kungmoo wrote: »

for one, character names... there may be someone on EU with the same name as you... so would complicate things there
    And that's not easily fixed by just appending (US) or (EU) behind the name?
    Seriously, it's just a fr*gging test server.
  • Paulington
    Paulington
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This has been suggested multiple times and has yet to happen.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paulington wrote: »

This has been suggested multiple times and has yet to happen.

I don't think it would work. At least, it's not foolproof. Character names cannot include brackets or underscores. Character naming conventions state that you can have at most four(?) delimiters within a character name. If they were to append " EU" (or prepend "EU ") this may break the naming conventions for certain characters by introducing a fifth delimiter.