Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A few questions...

Axoinus
Axoinus
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello,

I started the game about a month ago and have logged about 120 hours. I’m using a Breton Nightblade who is now level 25. As you can tell, I’m going pretty slow and just enjoying the game. My build is nowhere near optimized and my gear is just stuff I’ve picked up along the way. So far, I seem to be doing ok with a non-optimized build. I’ve gotten a little addicted to leveling up the crafting skills so I’ve spent a lot of time just wandering around banking materials and ingredients. I mostly solo but will jump into group content when it’s in front of me.

So with that said, I have some basic questions I’ve been collecting along the way.

1) When you out-level your crafting materials, (i.e. Writs are giving me jobs with steel and not iron) is there any reason to hold onto the iron ore and iron ingots? Will I need these old materials in the future?

2) Is there a program out there that allows you to generate an output of your build that I could post on the forums for feedback? Or do I have to type everything up?

3) I am leveling up all crafting areas pretty equally. Is this a dumb move? Will I have enough points for a good build and maxed out crafter? Will I hit a brick wall at some point because I’ve spent too much on crafting skills?

4) Are drops RNG? I seem to get a lot of stuff I don’t want. Heavy armor, staffs, and two-handed weapons seem to drop very heavy for me. I can count the number of bow and knife drops on one hand. I get loaded up with stuff I don’t need. Staffs are the same way. I’m using a level 17 bow right now because that was the last good bow drop that I had. I feel like this is validated by the fact of how much I’ve unlocked in my research. Staffs, heavy armor and weapons have the most unlocked research. So what is deciding what gets dropped? I‘m becoming convinced that it is not RNG but some other logic.

5) When grouping…Should I ask people to turn their pets off? I don’t have a pet. Don’t want one. But I feel like people pets distract me and also contribute to lag. I just want to know if there is a standing courtesy at the upper levels that pets be turned off.

Thanks for any input you have on this…
  • Feisty_Khajiit128
    Feisty_Khajiit128
    ✭✭✭
    1. Yes, keeping low level crafting mats is useful if you have an alt you want to craft for or if you are crafting armor for a low level player. I would recommend stealing to get mats, you can get 200 or so mats pretty easily if you find a good spot. Keep all of the raw mats you find! Once you get 3/3 in the refining trait, you get a chance to get rare mats when you refine them.
    I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee...

Khajiit Nightblade- V15
    Imperial Templar- V1
    Altmer Sorc- Lvl 28
    Dunmer Nightblade- Lvl 19 (WIP)
  • Feisty_Khajiit128
    Feisty_Khajiit128
    ✭✭✭
    2. I am not exactly sure, I know www.esohead.com has something like this, though you do have to select what you are using manually.

Khajiit Nightblade- V15
    Imperial Templar- V1
    Altmer Sorc- Lvl 28
  • Feisty_Khajiit128
    Feisty_Khajiit128
    ✭✭✭
    3. I would go for 2-4 different areas, if you put skill points into all areas, you will run out of skill points vey easily. If you want to be able to craft everything, having an alt is not a bad idea.

Khajiit Nightblade- V15
    Imperial Templar- V1
    Altmer Sorc- Lvl 28
  • Feisty_Khajiit128
    Feisty_Khajiit128
    ✭✭✭
    4. Drops are RNG.

Khajiit Nightblade- V15
    Imperial Templar- V1
    Altmer Sorc- Lvl 28
  • Feisty_Khajiit128
    Feisty_Khajiit128
    ✭✭✭
    5.I have never seen anything like this. I am only vet 10 though, so there may be, but I doubt there is.

Khajiit Nightblade- V15
    Imperial Templar- V1
    Altmer Sorc- Lvl 28
  • Feisty_Khajiit128
    Feisty_Khajiit128
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry all these are posted separately

Khajiit Nightblade- V15
    Imperial Templar- V1
    Altmer Sorc- Lvl 28
  • PhatGrimReaper
    PhatGrimReaper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5) I have been a part of Trial raids where pets had to be disabled. This was due to the leader believing that they added to the potential for lag. Whether it's true or not, I cannot say.
    Fat Grim Reaper - (m)Dragon Knight AR28
    F G R Junior - Templar AR26
    This One Had Name Changed - Nightblade AR19
    Fat Grim Streaker - Sorcerer AR15
    M12-GM - Guardians of the Twelve-GM - Crown Store Heroes - ETU
    RÀGE - R.I.P
  • Fruitmass
    Fruitmass
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. Once you're past the need for a particular tier of crafting materials there's not much of a reason to hold on to them. Unless your entertaining the idea of creating an alt sometime in the near future of course.

2. http://eso-skills.com/
    http://esohead.com/calculator/skills

3. Early on you'll be pretty limited in the number of skill points you have to spend but there are a lot of skill points available to be collected from doing quests, leveling, completing Group Dungeon quests, completing the group challenges for Public Dungeons, increasing your Alliance War rank and collecting skyshards. Don't know the exact number of skill points available in the game (it's somewhere around three hundred-ish) but you can definitely learn all the important crafting skills on a single character and still have a good build.

4. As far as I know it's RNG. It's just really derp RNG.

5. I'm assuming your taking about vanity pets and not the Sorc summons yes? Admittedly I've never seen this come up as an issue when doing dungeons. If you find it distracting I don't suppose it could hurt to politely ask if the pet could be put away. Of course if we are talking about Sorc pets then that could be a bit of a problem as they may need them as part of their build.
    Edited by Fruitmass on January 20, 2016 2:11PM
    Beware all ye who log on for here there be typos...