Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Sorc: PVP v16 build help.

tfraley
tfraley
Good day guys,

I'm about to hit v16 on my Magic high elf Sorc.

This is my first ALT, coming from DPS Stam DK...

With that said wanted some advice on building and gear for PVP play.

Currently been running 5Juli and 3Magnus with all Magika with divines and Magika enchants.
Destro staff (lightning) heard it was better in pvp because it can't be bounced back (with disease enchant)
Restro staff with (drain to Magika)

Totally new to Magika based classes and open to all suggestions and comments.

"The only bad question is the one not asked" which is why I am here, asking for your help.

What works?
What don't?
What is buggy?
What do new players miss?

Max Magika vs Magika Regn vs Spell power, What is the priority for a PVP sorc?

Thanks...

• Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming you want to do small group / solo PvP (Magicka sorcs are great for this):

Gear looks OK, you might want to get some more Magicka regen through jewelry enchantments.

You'll need to decide if you want to focus on magic or Elemental damage for CP distribution. Magic focus (max out Thaumaturge) would use a burst combo like V.Curse + Frags + Proxy Det + Dawnbreaker. Elemental focus (max out Elemental Expert) would centre around Overload for burst.

I chose to go the Elemental damage route. You can see my skills and this style in action in the vids on my YouTube channel or in this thread:

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/239336/video-series-ad-goes-small-scale-the-ninja-kitty-gank-squad#latest
  • tfraley
    tfraley
    @Thelon

Great videos,

Yhea at the moment I have everything into thaumaturge but planing to respec everything when I hit v16 about 20% left to my bar.

I see lots of people talking about overload, I do have it on my bar and leveled and do use it.

I guess I wasn't too sure about going full out on overload..
    How does this affect you in long fights. When Ulti runs out? How do you cope with it?
    Also, I see lots of people who go overload go dual, what are your thoughts on this? I have not leveled it at all
    I like having resto for self heals and bubble, I guess once I level up in pvp I can get vigor.. thoughts?

Is it still viable without dual wielding ?

• FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many people have different methods of sorcing, I think mine is unorthodox so I won't confuse you with my specific advice. Some things to consider though:

-Julianos uses 2 slots to give you 6% crit chance, which isn't a huge amount of crit chance, and crit chance doesn't go very far in cyro.
    -Kagrenac's Hope gives you 75 spell damage less than julianos but also gives you magicka regen and max health (which is more useful than 6% crit imo).
    -Dual Wielding prevents you from weaving basic attacks in with your skills. It also leaves lots of space between skills giving your opponent plently of time to read your animations and respond to your attacks.
    -Lightening staff heavy attacks can't be reflected, but also can't be weaved.
    -Fire staff heavy attacks can be weaved with your skills to increase the pressure on your opponent. Pressuring your opponent is important in fights.
    -As curse, frags and mines will probably be your hardest hitting regular skills you'd be better off putting most of your cp into thaumaturge and then some into elemental expert to boost streak, wrath and overload. I have 76cp in thaumaturge for 20% damage boost to curse/frags etc. And 26cp in elemental expert for around 10% more elemental damage.
    -Hardy, Elemental Defender and Thick Skinned affect the damage your ward takes from magic/elemental damage and dots so invest equally into these.
    -To answer your last question; the priority for a pvp sorc is probably spell damage but you also don't want to neglect regen or max magicka.
    -36k magicka and 77cp in Bastion should be enough to get your Hardened Ward value over 10k, which is enough because it can be spammed.
    -People have differing theories on regen, some think 900 magicka regen is fine (although I don't know how). In reality I have 47cp in Magician and a spell cost reduction glyph and I find that even with 1700 regen with regular weaving I still run out of magicka occasionally, not often though.

Not sure what you are like at acquiring gear but a good gear combo is 5 kagrenac's hope, 3 arch-mage, 3 will power.
    PC | EU
  • tfraley
    tfraley
    @FriedEggSandwich

Wow, Thank you so much for the detailed information...
    Awesome stuff their.

So I have 329 CP points. Again, this was for leveling and will change them out.
    How would you suggest distribution of them. Am I using anything that is a waist or should stay away from?

mybuild.png
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CPs look good. The only thing I would say was with only 329 you might want to avoid putting 100 in anything. The returns after a certain point are so minimal. For example 77cp in Bastion gives 20% boost to wards, whereas 100Cp in bastion only gives 25% boost. Those extra 23 cp could be used elsewhere in that tree, like in Hardy , Elemental Defender and Thick skinned.

Also I think you have too many cp in elfborn for a pvp build with the number of cp that you have, that's just my opinion though. I have 5 cp in elfborn lol.

Also with only 16cp in magician I would recommend a cost reduction glyph if you don't already. You need some cost reduction imo. I also put points into befoul to aid the disease glyph on the staff. Not sure how much of an advantage this is but I only have 9cp in befoul, need to do some more testing there.

Aside from that cp distribution looks good. I love how everyone has 1cp in spell erosion lol ;)
    PC | EU
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tfraley wrote: »

Great videos,

Thx! Glad u liked em :smile:

I see lots of people talking about overload, I do have it on my bar and leveled and do use it.

I guess I wasn't too sure about going full out on overload..
    How does this affect you in long fights. When Ulti runs out? How do you cope with it?

I try to enter fights with as much Ultimate stored as possible, so I'm always light attacking guards and wolves in Cyrodiil to help with this. Since it only takes 1-2 shots to deal with most opponents, I rarely run out. If I do, I just play defensive and use light attacks to rebuild ultimate until I'm ready to go with another burst attempt.

Also, I see lots of people who go overload go dual, what are your thoughts on this? I have not leveled it at all

I use Dual Wield to maximise the damage from overload, since Dual Wield gives more Spell Damage compared to Staffs. As @FriedEggSandwich noted, the trade off is I lose the ability to weave medium attacks. Since my build centres on the use of Overload, I don't mind the loss of weaving, since you can't weave while in Overload anyway.

That said, my build would still work with a Destro Staff instead of Dual Wield, but Overload will not hit as hard as you're seeing in my vids.

I like having resto for self heals and bubble, I guess once I level up in pvp I can get vigor.. thoughts?

The only reason I use a Resto Staff on my off bar is for access to Healing Ward. Vigor is only useful for Stamina builds.