Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Potato?

cavar
cavar
Soul Shriven
Quick question. What is the meaning of "Potato" when it comes to these forums and game? I often see it in zone chat in cyrodiil. Sometimes used as: Potato Zerg, Potato Guild, Potato Spin, etc. From what I can gather, it is a derogatory term referring to someone or something with little skill. Thanks for any answers.
  • PosternHouse
    PosternHouse
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a word that's entered popular internet vernacular, originating from this meme image:

[SNIP]

It's basically a way to call someone mentally challenged. (Why is r-tard filtered out? What is this, kindergarten?) When red mindlessly runs across the Alessia bridge into the front door of Alessia just to die over and over, people say, "Our pugs are potatoing into Alessia front door." When blue mindlessly pushes north from Aleswell, to Bleakers, to Chalman mine, people ask, "Why are we potatoing into Chalman?" A potato someone that is r-tarded, and potatoing is doing something r-tarded. Alternatively, someone might actually be referring to the popular legume which you can boil, mash, and stick in a stew.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Inappropriate Content]
    Edited by ZOS_Racheal on January 1, 2016 11:17PM
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    because-potato-that-s-why.png
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • cavar
    cavar
    Soul Shriven
    It's a word that's entered popular internet vernacular, originating from this meme image: [SNIP].

It's basically a way to call someone mentally challenged. (Why is r-tard filtered out? What is this, kindergarten?) When red mindlessly runs across the Alessia bridge into the front door of Alessia just to die over and over, people say, "Our pugs are potatoing into Alessia front door." When blue mindless pushes north from Aleswell, to Bleakers, to Chalman mine, people ask, "Why are we potatoing into Chalman?" A potato someone that is r-tarded, and potatoing is doing something r-tarded. Alternatively, someone might actually be referring to the popular legume which you can boil, mash, and stick in a stew.

Thanks! Clears that up.
    [Moderator Note: Edited quote to match moderated version]
  • riverdragon72
    riverdragon72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pvp game engine runs on potato too.
    Meh...**** it..
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you MUST know...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Potato+People

Or.. then.. there is THIS:

mr-potato-head-as-famous-people-2.jpg
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Jennifur_Vultee
    Jennifur_Vultee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters." – Albert Einstein

Treat a customer fairly and they will remember you. Treat a customer poorly and they never forget.

Imperial City: Zerg, gank or die.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Potato in fact is eso most valid currency. Coz everyone needs potatoes
  • KenaPKK
    KenaPKK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I pay for everything in [Potato].
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC original dueling and general PvP community guild
    Now the hub of competitive dueling and the joined PvP communities of NA and EU/PC

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Xylena is the first who brought the potato into our dear zone chat, as far as I can remember.
    And we all thank her for the great harvest we had out of it.
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • WRX
    WRX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got you.

po·ta·to
    pəˈtādō/
    noun
    noun: potato; plural noun: potatoes
    a starchy plant tuber that is one of the most important food crops, cooked and eaten as a vegetable.
    "roasted potatoes"
    see sweet potato.
    the plant of the nightshade family that produces the potato tubers on underground runners.
    Decibel GM

GLUB GLUB
  • Turtl3Lov3
    Turtl3Lov3
    ✭✭✭✭
    ff389331348d51fa856406cfc23b8813bf60d1140409e3cb290101ab7f677087.jpg
  • Lord-Stien
    Lord-Stien
    ✭✭✭
    It's a word that's entered popular internet vernacular, originating from this meme image: [SNIP].

It's basically a way to call someone mentally challenged. (Why is r-tard filtered out? What is this, kindergarten?) When red mindlessly runs across the Alessia bridge into the front door of Alessia just to die over and over, people say, "Our pugs are potatoing into Alessia front door." When blue mindlessly pushes north from Aleswell, to Bleakers, to Chalman mine, people ask, "Why are we potatoing into Chalman?" A potato someone that is r-tarded, and potatoing is doing something r-tarded. Alternatively, someone might actually be referring to the popular legume which you can boil, mash, and stick in a stew.

i see what you did there ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMlR55Dr4RU
    Sometimes the real enemy are the one who moderate it.

BannHammer

PVP Officer

Alliance Cord

When in doubt, frag out

Heart of Daggerfall-=Iron Legion=- Founding Member

The one and only LordSteindeath
  • PainfulFAFA
    PainfulFAFA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Stien wrote: »
    It's a word that's entered popular internet vernacular, originating from this meme image: hqdefault.jpg.

i see what you did there ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMlR55Dr4RU

the LOTR nerd in me caught that too xD
    PC NA
    Aztec | AZTEC | Ahztec | Aztehk | Master of Mnem
    MagDK | Magplar | Magward | Mageblade | Stamsorc

• Crown
    Crown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I often use the term potato to mean players who are less skilled than the person who is fighting them.

The most notable use of the term was when I was debating the 1vX play style, and called it "1 v Potato".

Reasoning:
    1. Potatoes are hard, and when thrown at something sensitive can hurt!
    2. A sack of potatoes swung at you will knock the bleep out of you!
    3. Potatoes are easy enough to mash.
    4. Mashed potatoes can get salty very quickly / before you know it!
    5. Managing the salt in finely mashed potatoes is tricky.

When a good player fights two other good (equally skilled) players, in all likelihood the one player will lose. For a single player to win vs multiple other players, the single has to grossly out play the multiples and/or be significantly more skilled than them such that it may not even be a challenge to mash them.

When I use the term, it is not meant to put someone down or call them mentally challenged, it is purely an indication of their skill level vs. the person(s) they are fighting.
    Edited by Crown on December 31, 2015 3:21AM
    Crown | AD NB | First AD/NA Grand Overlord (2015/12/26)
    PvP Guides @ DarkElves.com
  • CamBam370
    CamBam370
    ✭✭✭

Don´t forget potato Ad that repetitively run from sej to BRK not accomplishing anything.
    Edited by ZOS_Racheal on January 1, 2016 11:18PM
  • PainfulFAFA
    PainfulFAFA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CamBam370 wrote: »
    It's a word that's entered popular internet vernacular, originating from this meme image: hqdefault.jpg.

Don´t forget potato Ad that repetitively run from sej to BRK not accomplishing anything.

Or potato EP that run to Alessia front door to donate some AP.
    PC NA
    Aztec | AZTEC | Ahztec | Aztehk | Master of Mnem
    MagDK | Magplar | Magward | Mageblade | Stamsorc

• BRogueNZ
    BRogueNZ
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think they just like to give AD a d-tick every now and then to encourage them to keep coming out to the bridge else they get bored and turtle.

• Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Guilty....
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crown wrote: »
    I often use the term potato to mean players who are less skilled than the person who is fighting them.

The most notable use of the term was when I was debating the 1vX play style, and called it "1 v Potato".

Reasoning:
    1. Potatoes are hard, and when thrown at something sensitive can hurt!
    2. A sack of potatoes swung at you will knock the bleep out of you!
    3. Potatoes are easy enough to mash.
    4. Mashed potatoes can get salty very quickly / before you know it!
    5. Managing the salt in finely mashed potatoes is tricky.

When a good player fights two other good (equally skilled) players, in all likelihood the one player will lose. For a single player to win vs multiple other players, the single has to grossly out play the multiples and/or be significantly more skilled than them such that it may not even be a challenge to mash them.

When I use the term, it is not meant to put someone down or call them mentally challenged, it is purely an indication of their
    skill level vs. the person(s) they are fighting.

Crown...you slay me....never change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-GTFgf6zuc
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • PosternHouse
    PosternHouse
    ✭✭✭✭

I assumed it was generally accepted that AD pugs begin their potating as soon as they log in to Cyrodiil. They potate the hardest of the potatoes. It is known. Thus they potate from the gate transitus to wherever else they go, and potate along the way to whatever destination (typically a shallow grave).
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • Ghostbane
    Ghostbane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The Potato is the main currency of my country, the main export, the source of its electricity etc

To be called a Potato is an honor.
    {★★★★★ · ★★★★★ · ★★ · ★★★★★}
    350m+ AP PC - EU
    AD :: Imported Waffles [37]EP :: Wee ee ee ee ee [16]DC :: Ghostbane's DK [16], Impending Loadscreen [12]PC - NA
    AD :: Ghostbane [50], yer ma [43], Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 2.0 [18], robotic baby legs [18]EP :: Wee Mad Arthur [50], avast ye buttcrackz [49], Sir Horace Foghorn [27], Brother Ballbag [24], Scatman John [16]DC :: W T B Waffles [36], Morale Boost [30], W T F Waffles [17], Ghostbanë [15]RIPAD :: Sir Humphrey Winterbottom 1.0 [20]
    Addons
  • Zyle
    Zyle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1447091347411.jpg

676 CP
    Zyle - LVL50 Stamina Nightblade - Former Emp AS - VMA Clear (Flawless)
    Joven - LVL50 Hybrid Templar
    Adion - LVL50 Stamina DK
    Radac - LVL50 Magicka Sorcerer
    Vanikath - LVL50 Magicka DK
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thanks for the clarification. But what a horrible meme.
    Edited by ZOS_Racheal on January 1, 2016 11:18PM
  • RadioheadSh0t
    RadioheadSh0t
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1447091347411.jpg

This one cracked me up.
    Aldonius Direnni - Vet Altmer Sorc (AD)
    Tyrus Telvanni - Vet Dunmer DK (AD)
    Al Donius Bundy - Vet Imperial NB (AD)
    Aldonius Brutus - Vet Orc DK (DC)
  • Itoq
    Itoq
    ✭✭✭✭
    (Why is r-tard filtered out? What is this, kindergarten?)

Why use the term r-tard? What is this, kindergarten?
  • Manoekin
    Manoekin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Itoq wrote: »

Yes.
  • PosternHouse
    PosternHouse
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes.
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Pretty much.

I'm rather fond of that term, along with a host of other words that many people somewhere may take offense to.

I had a lady who heard me call something stupid complain to me that she didn't like the word "stupid" because her fiancé used to call her that. OK? Is there a more effective way of informing someone that their lack of intelligence annoys you? The point of language is to communicate ideas or expressions. Sometimes you're just going to find someone who has an opinion that you don't agree with. That's when you just have to nut-up and move on, it won't kill you I promise.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • ZOS_Racheal
    ZOS_Racheal
    ✭✭✭
    Greetings everyone,

As this thread has run its course and is no longer constructive, we are now going to close it. We always encourage sharing opinions, but we ask that they are respectfully stated when doing so. Thank you for your understanding, and please keep the Community Rules in mind when posting on the forums.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Moderation Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.