The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Can a Dragonknight be a healer?

CavalierPrime
CavalierPrime
✭✭✭✭
Just wondering if a DK with high max mag, high spell crit, high spell damage, and high mag regen can be a good healer? If so, what do those skill bars and rotations look like? My DK is a Breton which I figure is as good a race as any for high healz.
  • Tiphis
    Tiphis
    ✭✭✭✭
    DK is not really a class that synergizes with the resto staff heals that well, but you could use earthen heart skill line for some group damage shields like magma shell as an ultimate and Igneous Shield. But magma shell requires a synergy for others to be useful but igneous shield is pretty nice because of the 30% boost to *healing done* for 7 secs. A morph of stonefist also comes with a heal to an ally but for the cost probably not worth it.

PS: Can someone confirm the healing is all healing done not healing received, don't have a DK so got this from online, but pretty sure it's incorrect, 30% increase to outgoing healing would be OP.
    Edited by Tiphis on December 29, 2015 5:42PM
  • CavalierPrime
    CavalierPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    So are you saying you can't play any role with any class like ZoS said you could? :'(

I did heal Banished Cells once with clumsy Blessing of Restoration and a lot of Healing Ward. I also magicka tanked that dungeon once. Both with the exact same DPS build lol.
    Edited by CavalierPrime on December 29, 2015 5:41PM
  • RapturousRex
    RapturousRex
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't vigour give a heal too?
  • CavalierPrime
    CavalierPrime
    ✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't vigour give a heal too?
    On a magicka build its bad. Like less than 1k heal per second bad. Rapid regen would give more.
  • Tiphis
    Tiphis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Vigor uses stamina and scales off stamina so on a magicka build with very little stamina or stamina regen it has very little purpose.
    Edited by Tiphis on December 29, 2015 5:50PM
  • Stannum
    Stannum
    ✭✭✭✭
    Igneous Shield has good synergy with healing staff. So magika DK can be pretty good healers. I have DK destro DPS, and several times healed vet dngs (when could not find group as DPS) with resto without any difficulties.
  • Tiphis
    Tiphis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Igneous Shield has good synergy with healing staff. So magika DK can be pretty good healers. I have DK destro DPS, and several times healed vet dngs (when could not find group as DPS) with resto without any difficulties.

Yeah it is certainly possible, just is a little bit less forgiving.
  • RapturousRex
    RapturousRex
    ✭✭✭
    I run a DK hybrid, there's a lot wrong with my build, have vigour on my stamina bar, it does alright, wasn't sure if it healed other people rhough.
  • mrvbalc
    mrvbalc
    ✭✭✭
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/237978/divines-guild-pvp-na-video/p1

check out the video, only healer is a DK healer in this video
    967qe6gfe8s7.png
    Balc
    As always Dragon of the Dominion
  • Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran vwgt pre nerfs with a DK healer and got no death run, just sayin'.
    Edited by Shader_Shibes on December 29, 2015 6:26PM
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes actual a DK can be a wonderful I was one. Our class shield has a morph that increases our healing done by like 20%. So pop that you and every body get a damage shield and stacked with our mountains blessing passive to increases nearby allies weapon damage by 5%.

Here's how I did it. Igneous shield with healing ward, mutagen, illustrious healing. and blessing of restoration and my ulti was war horn increases allies resource pools and I was using the eyes of mara set to decrease the cost of restoration staff spells. 2nd bar can be what you want it to be so add vigor to that for even more healing but remember you are a healer not a back up DPS not a back up tank a healer.
    Edited by Forestd16b14_ESO on December 29, 2015 7:51PM
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    God yes. One word - shields. DK has no class heals but dem shields. Make it your strength. Obsidian shield buffs all healing done by 30%(iirc), too, mind you.
    A friend of mine is healing with his DK, it's safest dungeon runs I've had in forever. Burst heals, HoTs...who cares when you have so many shields your health NEVER goes down even if you stand in the dead middle of red and don't block?:tongue:

Afaik his build revolves around Obsidian shield(or whatever the name is, you know what I'm talking about), Barrier, points in Bastion and Trinimac's Valor set. And yes, yes it's totally amazing!
  • timidobserver
    timidobserver
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can pull it off, but it'll be less stressful if you have a guild/friends to run with. You aren't going to find random pugs that want to be bothered with a DK healer.
    V16 Uriel Stormblessed EP Magicka Templar(main)
    V16 Derelict Vagabond EP Stamina DK
    V16 Redacted Ep Stam Sorc
    V16 Insolent EP Magicka Sorc(retired)
    V16 Jed I Nyte EP Stamina NB(retired)

• tangy.citrus
    tangy.citrus
    ✭✭✭
    DK healer is really easy imo. I healed vicp and vwgt with him. I havnt had a chance to heal a trial with DK, mostly because im dps for my guild trials and i dont dare heal a pug trial with DK, nor would the scrublets let me.

You can do around 10k dps easily while healing in a dungeon like vwgt. Its more than just stacking healing springs like a noob, you have more versatility than you think.

Its the most effective with an all magicka team, templars have repentance and shards over the other classes, you can get by as a stam dpser without either and same for tanking but most people rely on those things too much and refuse to run without a templar healer or tank.
    PC/NA/AD
    Queen Ella - Mag DK - Tank/Healer/DPS
    Dunmer DK Cant Even - Stam DK - DPS/Tank
    Im bad at healing - Mag Templar - DPS/Healer
    Tangy Citrus - NB - Mistake
    #1 AD P.O.S.
  • Shelgon
    Shelgon
    ✭✭✭✭
    So are you saying you can't play any role with any class like ZoS said you could? :'(

I did heal Banished Cells once with clumsy Blessing of Restoration and a lot of Healing Ward. I also magicka tanked that dungeon once. Both with the exact same DPS build lol.

i mean, you can do whatever you want, you can be a hybrid sorc caster heavy weapons expert, no one said it was going to be effective, but technically they didnt lie when they said you could do whatever you want
    V16 Templar - Shelgon - DC
    V16 Dragonknight - The Secutor - DC
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ran vwgt pre nerfs with a DK healer and got no death run, just sayin'.

In 1.6, I ran vr14 vCoA with dk healer, and it was a very smooth run, I think it was no-death as well. Not to mention that he did a decent amount of damage while healing...
    Though dk is less pug-friendly than templar, so if youre mostly playing with randoms, it migh cause some issues and bias. But the only thing that can be actually problematic is the lack of spear shards and repentance, but that doesnt matter if your dds are mages and a tank can sustain without help.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Lava_Croft
    Lava_Croft
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    A healer with Talons.

Yes please.
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    works in pvp, too.
  • Fellenore_Ewalion
    Fellenore_Ewalion
    ✭✭✭
    Spiked bone shield, rapid regeneration, cleanse and blessings of restoration. There you go.
    My Great House Telvanni did not join the Pact.
    But it does not mean I don't want to be Emperor.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dk can be a great healer.

Igneous shield makes your heals a lot stronger.

Group just needs to stack more and manage stamina better, but it's not too difficult.
  • Skiserony
    Skiserony
    ✭✭✭
    I once had a V1 DK healer that healed us through VDSA, though he was a really good player. But it is possible, it's just harder than a Templar and most people don't accept a healer different from a Templar.
  • Darlgon
    Darlgon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just adding my voice to the stack..

A GOOD DK CAN be a good healer.
    A BAD DK should never be allowed to claim to be a healer.

A DK is only a good healer if the player behind the KB uses the strats above and understand the game mechanics..
    Edited by Darlgon on December 30, 2015 12:34PM
    Power level to CP160 in a week:
    Where is the end game? You just played it.
    Why don't I have 300+ skill points? Because you skipped content along the way.
    Where is new content? Sigh.
  • Destruent
    Destruent
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Darlgon wrote: »
    Just adding my voice to the stack..

A GOOD DK CAN be a good healer.
    A BAD DK should never be allowed to claim to be a healer.

A DK is only a good healer if the player behind the KB uses the strats above and understand the game mechanics..

It's the same for every class...a bad temp also shouldn't be allowed to heal anything ^^
    Noobplar
  • Sukenlihol
    Sukenlihol
    ✭✭✭
    Every class can heal. Thanks to the resto staff..

But only templars can be reliable healer. It's about class skills, it's about the burst heal. Nothing personal.

Templars - Excellent Healers
    Nightblades - Good Healers
    Sorcerers and Dragonknights - Resto Staff Users :)
    Edited by Sukenlihol on December 30, 2015 2:15PM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A guild mate was running a DK healer which worked pretty well.

DKs have some useful abilities for healers:
    -Igneous Shield, group shield + 30% increased healing for 7 seconds.
    -Talons, aoe root for 4 seconds.
    -Ash Cloud, aoe 70% snare for 18 seconds.
    -Fiery Grip, 18m ranged enemy pull (or 28m with Extended Chains).

This allows DKs to controle all the mobs by pulling and rooting/snaring them so they can be aoe-ed down quickly.
    For boss fights Igneous Shield and Healing Springs should be more than enough, for oh-sh*t situations you could use Healing Ward.

DoTs (like Fiery Breath, Searing Strike etc) are also useful on a healer because you can apply them, continue healing and re-apply when they run out.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This wont be answered until ZoS releases another trial that actual challenges healers to heal as opposed to DPS and occasionally press a heal button.

I mean I can "tank" (and heal) all the non-IC dailies with my light armored DPS specs, that doesn't mean I'd call them tanks or healers.