Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

GTX980TI ridiculously low GPU usage that make fps drop

Dreambox
Dreambox
Hello everyone, i don't know why but in this game my msi gtx980 ti is only used at 13 % whatever i do it just stay at 13%, problem is that i can't maintain a smooth 60 fps in town because of this, i get fps drop in crowned area and also stutter when i run around. I play with vsync on otherwise i get screen tearing, i also play with everything maxed out at 1080p

It can't be a bottleneck because other game use my gpu fine and i have the intel i7 6700k skylake cpu with 16gb ram DDR4.

i added a screenshot with msi afterburner on my message

thanks in advance for every futur reply
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do a search here. Your hardware has nothing to do with it ...
    :wink:
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    Do a search here. Your hardware has nothing to do with it ...
    :wink:

This. Doesn't matter how good your hardware and network are. You will have spikes of 10 fps and very high latency playing eso. It's the most reliable game mechanic.
    Edited by Reverb on December 29, 2015 5:48AM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run two EVGA GTX980Ti Classified ACX 2.0 SLI and I get over 100 FPS, but not in cities. The cities, especially during peak times always have spikes. My usage per card is around 33%. I don't know if you will ever get a smooth 60 FPS in town. Towns have always been low FPS and have spikes due to the amount of players in town, how many spells they are spamming, etc. Don't base good vs bad while in town. It's a really bad area to gauge how well the card is performing. Once you get out of town you can get massive FPS improvements.

I have VSYNC turned off and I run ulitmate graphics without any tearing issues. My screen is 1920x1080 and I run windowed full screen. What settings do you have for ESO in the NVIDIA control panel? Maybe something there is sitting on the cards performance.
    Edited by Seravi on December 29, 2015 9:11AM
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Really, the issue with lower FPS in a large population zone has very little to do with the GPU. Let's say you are in Rawl'kha with a bunch of people running around, spamming abilities to show off, etc. Sure, the GPU needs to draw all that, but it's the CPU, the client, and the server that needs to keep track of all those people running around doing their thing, along with what they are doing and then sending that information to the GPU for display. The more people you have in a confined area, the harder it is for the system to keep track of it. That's why it shows the GPU is not being stressed, because it really isn't.
  • Dreambox
    Dreambox
    Oh well, what a strange thing, but well if everyone say it then i believe all of you, too bad then, thanks anyone !

Seravi i have changed nothing on my control pannel for this game
    Edited by Dreambox on December 29, 2015 4:14PM
  • C3N50R3D
    C3N50R3D
    ✭✭✭
    I did some profiling a while back with GPUView and XPerf. It is more the net code and server tick rate than the CPU core or GPU usage. Total CPU + GPU render time is well within range to maintain 60+fps but something blocks the render thread for too long before it starts building the next frame. This is most noticeable in cities. This is why people with high end cards like Titans and 980s show low GPU usage because the actual frame rendering time is done very quickly and the GPU sits idle until the wait state is removed by the engine to enable the next frame to begin being built. The wait state is not removed in time so some of the frames are skipped causing the slight stutter and effective fps drop.

Edit 1: Turning off Vsync in game and using smooth Vsync setting in NVidia control panel helps some.

Edit 2: People speculate this may be due to some anti bot checks done server side because it has definitely gotten worse since beta.
    Edited by C3N50R3D on December 29, 2015 8:59PM
  • Fissh
    Fissh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seravi wrote: »
    I run two EVGA GTX980Ti Classified ACX 2.0 SLI and I get over 100 FPS, but not in cities. The cities, especially during peak times always have spikes. My usage per card is around 33%. I don't know if you will ever get a smooth 60 FPS in town. Towns have always been low FPS and have spikes due to the amount of players in town, how many spells they are spamming, etc. Don't base good vs bad while in town. It's a really bad area to gauge how well the card is performing. Once you get out of town you can get massive FPS improvements.

I have VSYNC turned off and I run ulitmate graphics without any tearing issues. My screen is 1920x1080 and I run windowed full screen. What settings do you have for ESO in the NVIDIA control panel? Maybe something there is sitting on the cards performance.

How are you running SLI in windowed mode? For me, dual gpu only works in full screen.
    <X-Raided>
  • Fissh
    Fissh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For those suggesting to turn off vsync:
    It really depends on hardware. Your gpu is good enough, but if your monitor is a 60hz, you want vsync on or you will get very noticeable screen tear. However, a 120hz+ monitor may do fine without vsync.
    If I am getting 100+fps (on my 144hz monitor) in any particular game, I turn off vsync. Because of the fickle that eso is though, I leave vsync on and lock my monitor refresh to 60 JUST for this game. Helps with stability.
    <X-Raided>
  • Seravi
    Seravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 60hz monitors and don't use vsync and I don't get any screen tear. I guess it depends on how much you want to tweek the NVIDIA profile to get the most out of the graphics.

As for the SLI and windowed full screen I have no issues. I am not really setting anything special to make the cards work with windowed mode. The card use is always within 2-3% use of each other and balanced well during game play. I worked with upper level CS before I went SLI and tried several settings and found some things in usersettings that balanced the load. From what I can see those are turned on now by default if the game sees you are running SLI.

Check in your usersettings.txt file and find this line: SET MULTI_GPU_CHECK "1". Make sure this is set to 1 and not "0". If it is set to "0" then the game only sees one of your cards.