Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do you think ESO is dieing?

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read what I wrote way before. ;) I quit ESO before Orsinium came out. :P Havnt played since and I am not missing it to be honest with you.

Yet you decide to keep coming into the forums and spend your time reading and replying to posts because you don't miss it, yeah, that makes sense. :o

Funny because when I first started playing DCUO three years ago, there were constant threads about how the game was dying, and here we are three years later and DCUO is still plugging along, barely, but it's still not dead. Just goes to show how some people claim that a game is dying just because there is something they don't like about it, versus the reality that Bethesda invested a huge amount of money into ESO and are not about to fold it up anytime soon. With console launch just occurring a few months ago, any reality of the end of ESO is still many years away.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With the announcement of Orsinium being Solo, it died for me. Quit playing a bit before it released. As a hardcore player who loves raids etc, this game has already been dead for months. It´s really a shame, but it´s in the hands of ZoS. They started doing stuff to get hardcore players in, and then they ditched 'em.

The game might still be interesting for casual players or new players. It holds alot of content for those kind of players. But going to the top, there´s literally nothing to do or achieve anymore. Everything is soo old. And nothing new and shiny to see on the horizon.

But to get back to the point, the moment IC came out it was in decline for me. The overuse of RNG was the nail in the coffin for me. Alot of ESO Players I know have the same feeling. Many just wait for a certain other MMO to get released. Just like me.

So my personal answer is : Yes, it is dying.

World Bosses are anything but solo! You should take a gander at them sometime lol

1 or 2 world bosses doesnt sound really appealing to me. Kill it once or twice and it gets old. ;) I am looking for decent group content.
    However you put it, Orsinium is a Solo DLC. I am not playing an MMO to get solo content.

Then dont play it. >:}

Read what I wrote way before. ;) I quit ESO before Orsinium came out. :P Havnt played since and I am not missing it to be honest with you.

But,..but,..if you are not playing it,how can you know if it is dying then? That was why I commented. :}
    Edited by Volkodav on December 2, 2015 12:13AM
  • WebBull
    WebBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing for certain, PvP is dying if not already dead. That can't bode well for the game overall.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WebBull wrote: »
    One thing for certain, PvP is dying if not already dead. That can't bode well for the game overall.

Sure it can, when the majority of players are PvE players, which is exactly what the game is. Compare the huge success of Orsinium compared to IC... Orsinium wins by a mile. I think their initial vision of what they wanted for ESO and PvP has changed dramatically when they realized the majority of players are not interested in PvP. So do you create content to appeal to your minority or your majority? Not saying they'll never add more PvP content, they obviously will, but it will never take priority over PvE.
    CP: 1930 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • icontested
    icontested
    ✭✭✭✭

You must be playing on that rumored Zimbabwe server. Or was it Easter egg? Secret society?
    Voted and Current reigning champion of most handsome ESO player of 2013-2016
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

Sure it can, when the majority of players are PvE players, which is exactly what the game is. Compare the huge success of Orsinium compared to IC... Orsinium wins by a mile. I think their initial vision of what they wanted for ESO and PvP has changed dramatically when they realized the majority of players are not interested in PvP. So do you create content to appeal to your minority or your majority? Not saying they'll never add more PvP content, they obviously will, but it will never take priority over PvE.

Well said.Although lots of those PvPers seem to think there are more of them than PvErs,and say so.They say that ZOS had better come up with more content just for them,or the game will tank.
  • DarkDeller
    Im on ps4 na server, and i do believe the pop has dropped atleast 50%. And with pvp, well being from Australia, if theres anymore then 10 people storming a keep, the lag hits and dumps me outta the game, yea in a city crowded with people there is no problem.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DarkDeller wrote: »
    Im on ps4 na server, and i do believe the pop has dropped atleast 50%. And with pvp, well being from Australia, if theres anymore then 10 people storming a keep, the lag hits and dumps me outta the game, yea in a city crowded with people there is no problem.

Yes the population will drop. I (talking for myself) have always said that was/will happen.

It happens with every game. (Sadly, at least for me, this is indicative of xbox releasing bad game after bad game, without eso or fall out I would've drop kicked my xbox outta the window half a year ago)

Why it happens is very simple.

Did you see the trailer for ESO??? Freakin EPIC!

This attracted MANY players, many were not mmo players. once they got their hands on it, it was not what they expected, so they stopped playing.

COD was that for me, advanced warfare looked cool, I Freaking hated it. (No more halo plz!) So I bought it, played like a week, then sold it. Eso was the same way with many players.

For xbox, they have nothing going for them. Out classed by PS4 by utility, blown away by PC by variety, xbox has eso for an online game. This alone almost assures ZoS the mmo community.

I also look at battlefield, 200 player base only, yet still tons o fun.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • DarkDeller
    Whats weird for me is i can play bf and cod with a full large scale battle with no lag, yea i encounter 10 players in cyrodill and i lag outta the game
  • Skinzz
    Skinzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pvp is dying because of people crying for nerfs and battle spirit etc. U know who u are.
    Anybody got a group? LFG, anybody? Hello?
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    With the announcement of Orsinium being Solo, it died for me. Quit playing a bit before it released. As a hardcore player who loves raids etc, this game has already been dead for months. It´s really a shame, but it´s in the hands of ZoS. They started doing stuff to get hardcore players in, and then they ditched 'em.

The game might still be interesting for casual players or new players. It holds alot of content for those kind of players. But going to the top, there´s literally nothing to do or achieve anymore. Everything is soo old. And nothing new and shiny to see on the horizon.

But to get back to the point, the moment IC came out it was in decline for me. The overuse of RNG was the nail in the coffin for me. Alot of ESO Players I know have the same feeling. Many just wait for a certain other MMO to get released. Just like me.

So my personal answer is : Yes, it is dying.

World Bosses are anything but solo! You should take a gander at them sometime lol

1 or 2 world bosses doesnt sound really appealing to me. Kill it once or twice and it gets old. ;) I am looking for decent group content.
    However you put it, Orsinium is a Solo DLC. I am not playing an MMO to get solo content.

You mean the kind of group content that takes at least half a dozen players to even stand a chance of completing? You may get lucky with 4 or so but it won't be easy! At least that's how it is at the Wrothgar World Bosses.
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • Taemethius
    Taemethius
    ✭✭✭
    Ps4 is alive and well. Fix pvp and redesign the keeps it favors the attackers in so many ways

Ps4 na,Bow to AD
  • skillastat
    skillastat
    ✭✭✭✭
    My answer is No
    (PC NA)
    -Saulo Stamina Sorcerer
    -skillastat Stamina Nightblade
    -a blade spirit Stamina Templar
    -Ultima Online I Magicka Dragonknight
    -'Solo DC* Stamina Sorcerer
    -'Ultima Online Stamina Dragonknight
    -Nerd Dk Tank Dragonknight
    -Solochi Magicka Sorcerer
    -Solo Lucci Magicka Nightblade
    -Sølomon Magicka Warden

*All characters are EP, except for one DC.

French Canadian!
  • Wolfshead
    Wolfshead
    ✭✭✭✭
    iliatha wrote: »
    No if they manage to repair their content like cyrodiil & empty IC.

Well it is know fact that content that people dont like the well move on as soon as new content come just look at any expansion hit some game the old content just scream empty it is really sad but i dont think fix IC well help that content for the truth is force someone to play on way never work in MMO i have see it before i mean you can never force a PvE player to play PvP if the dont like and other way around usre people well do it for the have no other choose but the dont like.
    Edited by Wolfshead on December 2, 2015 6:02AM
    If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled; for you are in Elysium, and you're already dead
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The game should have a separate PvP and PvE server. And with PvP server I mean world PvP. PvP makes the game so much more interesting. If I want to play only PvE, which is boring in TESO after you did some quests for first time, I rather stick with other PvE mmo's.

I have been wondering, what do PvE people do in this game? I tried to be a PvE'er. The same dungeon over and over and over and over for a 0.00000000000000000000000001% change of a helmet. And that's it. I maxed all crafting, I did all quests. I don't want all achievements because half of it is boring.

I don't play for progression I play for fun. The PvP was the fun part. The game might not be dying, but the PvP part is. I have played Vanguard from beta until they pulled the plug. The game was never dying because even in the end they had a steady player base of around 250 players on 1 server and 5 on the other. But it was never the millions they hoped.

If the PvP dies on TESO like it did in SWTOR (but at least I can play world PvP in SWTOR) the game will move on. PvE will stay, whether 10000 people play it or 10. The game only dies when someone pulls the plug.
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Knootewoot wrote: »
    The game should have a separate PvP and PvE server. And with PvP server I mean world PvP. PvP makes the game so much more interesting. If I want to play only PvE, which is boring in TESO after you did some quests for first time, I rather stick with other PvE mmo's.

I have been wondering, what do PvE people do in this game? I tried to be a PvE'er. The same dungeon over and over and over and over for a 0.00000000000000000000000001% change of a helmet. And that's it. I maxed all crafting, I did all quests. I don't want all achievements because half of it is boring.

I don't play for progression I play for fun. The PvP was the fun part. The game might not be dying, but the PvP part is. I have played Vanguard from beta until they pulled the plug. The game was never dying because even in the end they had a steady player base of around 250 players on 1 server and 5 on the other. But it was never the millions they hoped.

If the PvP dies on TESO like it did in SWTOR (but at least I can play world PvP in SWTOR) the game will move on. PvE will stay, whether 10000 people play it or 10. The game only dies when someone pulls the plug.

PvP would probably die you are aware of this. there is a large player base who came to eso cause of tes and do both. you wont be able to find new players because most have no reason to go there
  • KYNG
    KYNG
    ✭✭✭
    For PS4 definitely.

I used to wait over 6 hrs to find a group in Group Finder for Vet dungeons.

PvP feels very empty compared to the size you get to play with. I think mixing in PvE in Cyr was a mistake, should of been pure pvp. Getting ganked by 3 players waiting for you to start or hand in a quest is annoying when they should be attacking keeps etc.

I really dunno if consoles just cant handle an MMO or if zenimax doesn't know how to code for 8th gen, but PvP is next to impossible to enjoy as advertised.

I want to PvP, I love PvP. But ESO PvP is garbage with its lag and CONSTANT DCs.

That plus BASIC *** features are still missing. You CANNOT make an MMO as bare as Skyrim. MMOs need buff timers, text chat, latency meters, etc. Pretty much EVERYTHING PC has.

Basically, zenimax hasnt made an MMO, zenimax has made a singleplayer with Massive Co-Op.
    Almost everything in this game is anti social. Lack of text chat, horrible monopoly trading system, garbage LFG, and the bad phasing mechanics are just a few things that make this Anti MMO.

If I wasnt a trophy *** I would of stopped months ago. But at the same time I would know all these issues personally if I didnt play for this long.

*Buys ESO*
    *Plays ESO*
    *Ponders*

"Did I pay full price for a beta?" ...
  • Sausage
    Sausage
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the plan is even to add Arena to the game, whats going to split the PVP playerbase even more. We need Cyrodil overhaul into stand-alone F2P and make it so the IC is same between all Campaigns, they should make Cyrodil more appealing to attract more people to the game, instead of some Arena what every Company does these days.

Different Castles and Siege weapons for every alliance, new siege weapons like Ladders, Siege Towers, Mammoth Gate Destroyer. Upgrades like 4 per Castles/Keep, to bring variety. More interesting landscape. That should put Cyrodil into new heights. While they are it, they could add Mercenary, Pacifist, Loyal system too, basically Mercs are to fill low pop side, to fix Campaign Population, Loyalist, are finest warrior of your alliance and Pacifist cant even enter to Cyrodil.
    Edited by Sausage on December 2, 2015 7:46AM
  • Grunim
    Grunim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pheefs wrote: »
    I have never done a regular delve alone, NEVER...
    that speaks to an active player community to me.

& the forums are a dark and dreary place, where the signal to noise ratio is very out of balance.
    possibly good suggestions on improvements or adjustments to the game and its mechanics are lost in the flood of rage.

Hmm, most regular delves I enter I'm usually the only player in them. But on the PC my characters are all veterans and those delves in veteran zones have been empty the entire life of the game, so this is nothing new. The only delves I've ever ran into other players are in low level areas and new areas like Orsinium.

Am a whimsical Generation Jones gamer. Online RPGs hooked me since '94 and no sign of stopping soon...

• Genomic
    Genomic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say dying, but I'd say it's a very safe bet the game hasn't remotely lived up to expectations, population wise or in terms player retention, particularly given the hugely popular ES franchise attached to it. Some of this is definitely due to some management blunders by ZOS - a function of inexperience in managing an MMO and some plain old pig headedness, with a bit of incompetence sprinkled in.

But it's probably mostly due to the inherent limitations in an MMO, such that it diverged considerably from the single player experience from which TES made their name. You are the hero (except you're in an MMO and so are a million others), mobs spawn in seconds, objects are glued to the landscape (whereas in SP ES games you can pick up and manipulate thousands of items - which makes you feel more part of the world than in an MMO, which can't have this by necessity), you can't make any real change in the world (sure, you have phased content, but it's not the same). Overall, much of what made ES special to so many people was lost and thus many were invariably disappointed.
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

Sure it can, when the majority of players are PvE players, which is exactly what the game is. Compare the huge success of Orsinium compared to IC... Orsinium wins by a mile. I think their initial vision of what they wanted for ESO and PvP has changed dramatically when they realized the majority of players are not interested in PvP. So do you create content to appeal to your minority or your majority?

You do not create content to appeal. You create content to make people pay, typically to skip it, and whether money comes from few or many is totally irrelevant, the question is how much.
    Edited by JamilaRaj on December 2, 2015 1:10PM
  • Digerati
    Digerati
    ✭✭✭✭
    486 votes and 200 comments on this thread... Pretty solid no
  • JMadFour
    JMadFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    only people who really think the game is dying are the people who won't play until they scrap Cyrodiil and turn PVP into a Team Deathmatch playlist.

for those of us actually playing the game, it's alive and well.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Casdha wrote: »
    No but I do think Memberships are dropping like flies. They need to put out the incentives already. I've not noticed a bit of difference in game play and leveling and gold income are not noticeable either since I dropped mine.

As to some things I've read here

A poll is a sampling of the population, it is just as relevant as when a poll of 1200 shows a politician's lead in the polls with 100 million possible voters. Now the question does the relevance mean anything?

I like the Fallout series, but its one of those game I can wait till the price drops next year (or in 3 - 6 months on PC) then it might get 70 hours out of me. I think I'm about 2k hours on this game now if not more.

TES6 will not receive a release date until this game has dropped beyond a certain level, just sayin' . You younger folks might be playing with your grand kids if this thing maintains a certain level of profit. I might not see it at all. Why make a separate game if they can put solo content in here with less development cost?

And where did you get this information? Source?

As stated 2 posts down, its my speculation, not fact.

As far as the comments about ESO being an MMO or not, I can assure you that it is. You just need to quit applying your definition of an MMO and realize that it is just an acronym. Just because other games chose to go down a certain path with their style of game play does not mean that this game wants or needs to go down the same path.
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Shardaxx
    Shardaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phairdon wrote: »
    Shardaxx wrote: »
    I can only comment on PS4 and it is incredibly quiet in the main quest zones, I've just completed Glenumbra, Stormhaven and Rivenspire and currently in the Alik'r Desert and its very rare to see another player. I appreciate people won't really go back to these zones once they have cleared them, but I am slightly concerned that after the initial rush of players at launch, that its really slowed to a trickle now. Cyrodiil is still busy, I guess everyone ends up there and in IC (not been there yet myself) once they clear the rest of the content but how long will that hold most people's attention and where are the newer players?

Veteran zones are always a lot quieter than non vet, on pc at least. Assuming you're talking about veteran zones.

Well its veteran for me, as I'm yellow team and this is my 3rd set of zones, but its the blue team first set of zones... are you saying that I won't see non-veterans in my game in these zones because they are in different instance to me?
    PS4 - Europe - Shardaxx - Wood Elf Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Some might argue that the loss of PvP would be a great boost to the game and its long term success.

It would certainly make the forum a happier place ;)!
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

Some might argue that the loss of PvP would be a great boost to the game and its long term success.

It would certainly make the forum a happier place ;)!

The forums are probably about as happy as they'll ever get lol
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • DaniAngione
    DaniAngione
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know if ESO is dying.

I'm sure the horse being beaten right now is quite dead, though...

Seriously, these threads have been around since beta and will be around for years to come. Based on that you can either accept that everything is dying from the day they're born (and it is a matter of how long it takes to die) or that nothing dies at all. (and is a matter of perspective. What is to be dead?)
    Edited by DaniAngione on December 3, 2015 5:43AM
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Betahkiin wrote: »
    Like everything that has a beginning and an end.

Each day that passes is another day away from the start and closer to the end. From that point of view, not only the game's dying, you and I are doing well, the question is how much time we have.

Video games (developers project) have a symbiosis with its players, if the gaming community die, the game also.

The correct question should not be whether the game is dying, but how much is left to its end, and that depends largely on the community and those who develop.

Prolong the stay of the game requires great understanding and cooperation between the parties.

A great effort and commitment from its developers without the support of the gaming community is not effective.

Great support and permanence of the community without an effective response from developers, is also not effective.

And here, the real question: how committed are the community, and what kind of response received from developers?

In answer to this question you have the real answer.

Socrates, is that you? If so, do not mind about the rooster. Don't take things so hard in your next life.

With a dialectical heart, signs

Asclepius.
  • ArchGrizzlyOp
    ArchGrizzlyOp
    ✭✭
    Since some people seem to believe it is and some (like myself) do not I thought I'd make this poll and see what the forum community believes. Feel free to comment also but keep it clean!

Personally i don't think the game as a whole is dying, but where as there are some aspects of the gaming dying for example Crafting, once you have max level gear there is really no point for crafting. And then you have level cap which i personally think should be higher because then people have something to grind towards and are not just sitting on there arse talking about *** and playing music in voice chat!.
    Edited by ArchGrizzlyOp on December 3, 2015 1:21PM
    Guild Leader for Brotherhood of Blood, North American Server, Xbox one.

Apply to join is today - http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/229042/brotherhood-of-blood-is-recruiting-pvp-pve-rp?new=1

"Sheggorath, you are the Skooma Cat, for what is crazier than a cat on skooma?"
    -- Fadomai