The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Some questions about magica NBs

Brrrofski
Brrrofski
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
So my magica NB is about to hit vet and I'm loving it do far. I can't wait to get it to 16 and PVPing properly with it. But I do have some questions.

SWALLOW SOUL
This morph increases healing received. What do that count? I have it on my destro rather than resto bar (such an amazing weave). Firstly, does it buff it's own healing? That 25% (I think) over x seconds. Is that fixed, or is it affected by Swallow soul itself. Or is the only way to increase Swallow soul's heal by increasing the damage it does?

What if I was to run rapid regen on the other bar? If I cast it, then swap to my Swallow soul bar, does the heal per tick increase, or is it the same as the bar it was cast on?

HEALING (Healing Ward)
What heal do people go with? I like healing ward currently, but from past experience with my sorc, it's not reliable in group play. It often goes on someone else. I have to try a few times before I get it sometimes, wasting time and magica. I like the idea of casting this and then cloaking for a fat heal.

Am I better off going blessing of Restoration for that guaranteed, instant heal? I wouldn't go combat prayer on this unlike my sorc, as I run merciless resolve which gives me the same damage buff. Is rapid regen viable? Hit it, cloak a few times for a decent HoT. I am vamp, which I love for this, meaning healing is a big deal due to my low health regen.

ENTROPY
Does it bring me out of stealth? I don't want to cast it, start fighting, realise it's gone pear shaped so cloak up, only for this to give away my position. If so, can I just use merciless resolve as a damage buff? I use power surge on my sorc and entropy on my temp, so it feels like I should have a spell damage buff, but not at the cost as losing stealth.

Think that's it, but might have more as I start levelling more...
Edited by Brrrofski on November 30, 2015 7:57AM
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. I run Funnel Health instead of Swallow Soul since the healing of team mates generates Ulti faster. The extra healing received is only when it's slotted, so I'd guess that it's smth like: (Swallow Soul Damage x 0.25) x 1.08 . So yeah, the harder it hits, the more self heal you get from it
    2. Healing Ward. Definitely Healing Ward. It is ofc a bit risky to use when you're in a group, but it is the best Resto Staff self heal there is compared to the other options there are: Springs doesn't heal fast enough (and you don't have the time to recast it several times, waste of Magicka too), Rapid heals over time, Combat Prayer doesn't shield you and Siphoning is out of the question
    3. When ganking someone, don't apply debuffs or effect. You need to buff yourself with what you need (Camo Hunter, Siphoning Attacks, Relentless Focus,...) then stun (Concealed Weapon) followed by Soul Harvest. Usually you get them by then, but if it fails simply started PvPing like you regularly do. Then it's best to apply Entropy
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you don't mind getting close it may be better to use the final siphoning ability, when morphed it can also apply major sorcery and heal. enthropy may reveal your position if you are cloaked and the effect tics on the target but if they have no cloak counters than you have no worries
    Edited by RAGUNAnoOne on November 30, 2015 1:53AM
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tryxus wrote: »
    1. I run Funnel Health instead of Swallow Soul since the healing of team mates generates Ulti faster. The extra healing received is only when it's slotted, so I'd guess that it's smth like: (Swallow Soul Damage x 0.25) x 1.08 . So yeah, the harder it hits, the more self heal you get from it
    2. Healing Ward. Definitely Healing Ward. It is ofc a bit risky to use when you're in a group, but it is the best Resto Staff self heal there is compared to the other options there are: Springs doesn't heal fast enough (and you don't have the time to recast it several times, waste of Magicka too), Rapid heals over time, Combat Prayer doesn't shield you and Siphoning is out of the question
    3. When ganking someone, don't apply debuffs or effect. You need to buff yourself with what you need (Camo Hunter, Siphoning Attacks, Relentless Focus,...) then stun (Concealed Weapon) followed by Soul Harvest. Usually you get them by then, but if it fails simply started PvPing like you regularly do. Then it's best to apply Entropy

So the extra healing is useless unless Swallow soul is on my resto bar really?

Yeh, I do like the dea of healing ward so think I'll continue with that.
    if you don't mind getting close it may be better to use the final siphoning ability, when morphed it can also apply major sorcery and heal. enthropy may reveal your position if you are cloaked and the effect tics on the target but if they have no cloak counters than you have no worries

Sap essence? I am trying to find room fit it on my bar, but I don't think I can. The idea of combining that with Clouding swarm does seem nice though.

Bar room is the issue though.

I have vr16 sorc, Dk and templar plus a vr4 stamblade. This is the hardest to find space on bars by far
    Edited by Brrrofski on November 30, 2015 8:01AM
  • silverhammer92
    silverhammer92
    ✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    Sap essence? I am trying to find room fit it on my bar, but I don't think I can. The idea of combining that with Clouding swarm does seem nice though.

I play a magicka NB and discovered Sap essence in combination with clouding swarm a few weeks ago => This combination is insane (at least for pve).
    Consider that you will use this combination only fighting several enemies at once because they are both aoe abilities and the heal of sap essence is only amazing if it hits several players at once!

For PVP: In my op. you always need a aoe-skill to pull other nb out of stealth. Sap essence has a good range and gives you a 20% spelldamage buff and a (decent) heal on singel target (big heal on multiple targets). So it is worth to find a place for it :wink:
    Found a typo? Keep it!
    (Wer Schreibfehler findet darf sie behalten.)
  • willymchilybily
    willymchilybily
    ✭✭✭✭
    3) Your only real buff is grim focus (morph - merciless resolve). Combine with heavy destro attack opener and a few medium weaves and you can burst finish a guy with spectral bow If he is still standing. I wouldn't run entropy. Too much you want on your bar to waste the slot, and try to save a slot for purge when you unlock it, its a must imo.

2) healing ward is best. like you say ward+cloak, take the risk of it not popping on you, you have a cloak, and a good chance to get the big heal from it because you wont be taking damage.

PSN - WarpPigeon - Guild: TheSyndicate - EU, Ebonheart Pact
    Dragon Knight [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Magicka] - 720 - Flawless Conqueror
    Templar [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Dragon Knight [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Stamina] - 720
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I play a magicka NB and discovered Sap essence in combination with clouding swarm a few weeks ago => This combination is insane (at least for pve).
    Consider that you will use this combination only fighting several enemies at once because they are both aoe abilities and the heal of sap essence is only amazing if it hits several players at once!

For PVP: In my op. you always need a aoe-skill to pull other nb out of stealth. Sap essence has a good range and gives you a 20% spelldamage buff and a (decent) heal on singel target (big heal on multiple targets). So it is worth to find a place for it :wink:

I don't know how I'd fit it on my bar.

Currently I run:

Bar 1 - Destro
    Dark cloak
    Impale
    Concealed weapon
    Swallow soul
    Double take
    Clouding swarm

Bar 2 - resto
    Crippling grasp
    Mass hysteria
    Healing Ward
    Summon shade (will go with teleport morph when I can)
    Merciless resolve
    Soul harvest

I'm yet to play around with the teleport version of shade. It might be real nice when I get used to it.

Apart from that, I see no room to move. I mean, lotus fan doesn't even make it on there...
    Edited by Brrrofski on November 30, 2015 11:28AM
  • iliatha
    iliatha
    ✭✭✭
    For PVP: In my op. you always need a aoe-skill to pull other nb out of stealth.

Mark target ? :P I mean its both nice to have but i would go with mark target cause it debuffs and works on range. Entropy for Spelldmg Buff. Because of the range too. But might change for different playstyles, yea :)

• piekjon
    piekjon
    Soul Shriven
    Tamriel foundry has nice guide The Ghost by mashinate, should try that one, its great
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure what you mean since Swallow Soul's bonus works well with any type of healing, but as a NB tank/DPS, I much prefer Swallow Soul over Funnel Health. Healing a player grants you the same Ult gen as doing a light attack, which you should already be doing anyways because of animation canceling. If you are using Swallow Soul for DPS/healing anyways, then the extra healing received grows/stacks with other related passives for a bit more healing. Sap Essence is also more useful, imho, for healing group members.
    Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
    Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
    Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
    Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
    Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
  • dlepi24
    dlepi24
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't know how I'd fit it on my bar.

Currently I run:

Bar 1 - Destro
    Dark cloak
    Impale
    Concealed weapon
    Swallow soul
    Double take
    Clouding swarm

Bar 2 - resto
    Crippling grasp
    Mass hysteria
    Healing Ward
    Summon shade (will go with teleport morph when I can)
    Merciless resolve
    Soul harvest

I'm yet to play around with the teleport version of shade. It might be real nice when I get used to it.

Apart from that, I see no room to move. I mean, lotus fan doesn't even make it on there...

I've been doing magic nightblade for a while and I had to drop double take, impale and summon shade. I swap those out in certain situations, though. I usually have something like this for PvP:

Destro or DW
    1. Swallow Soul
    2. Lotus Fan
    3. Concealed Weapon
    4. Sap Essence
    5. Cloak
    6. Soul Harvest

Resto
    1. Healing Ward
    2. Mass Hysteria
    3. Efficient Purge
    4. Merciless Resolve
    5. Proximity Detonation
    6. Soul Tether

A lot of times though I drop Merciless Resolve for something like Double Take, Crippling Grasp or Mark Target when I'm running DW instead of Destro.

Buffs + Proxy Det + Soul Tether + Sap Essence is a pretty fun zerg bust if you have some help from teammates.
    Edited by dlepi24 on November 30, 2015 5:08PM
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure what you mean since Swallow Soul's bonus works well with any type of healing, but as a NB tank/DPS, I much prefer Swallow Soul over Funnel Health. Healing a player grants you the same Ult gen as doing a light attack, which you should already be doing anyways because of animation canceling. If you are using Swallow Soul for DPS/healing anyways, then the extra healing received grows/stacks with other related passives for a bit more healing. Sap Essence is also more useful, imho, for healing group members.

Well it's not on a bar with any heals.

This is going to be a pure pvp build, so it'll be 4% extra heal if someone else heals me which is not a lot.

I often play in a group so healing someone else might be beneficial.

That is if Swallow soul doesn't increase it's own heal, which as it's a flat 25% of it's damage, I assume the 8% extra isn't included. They only way to buff it's heal would be to increase it's damage. That's what I take from it based on how similar things, such as power surge on a sorc work.