Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Planar Inhibitor fight - has something changed in a recent patch?

baratron
baratron
✭✭✭✭✭
I have attempted Veteran White-Gold Tower twice in the past couple of days with a good group - 2 x high-DPSes and 1 fantastic Tank, plus me as Healer. On both occasions, we have got stuck on the Planar Inhibitor and been unable to pass her because of my failure to kill the portals which spawn.

The thing is, I've done Vet WGT in the past! On v16, even.

And while I am generally Bad At Portals, my problem has always been in finding the things. Not destroying them. Once someone calls out to me where they are, I aim an attack at them and they break in one or two hits.

I downloaded Rainbow Reticle last night and discovered that the portals seem to need very precise aiming now. The reticle only turns red on part of the portal, and it only closes on a very small part.

Has something changed? Is it intentional that only a small part of the portal can be hit?

I'm not saying there isn't a learn2play issue here, because clearly there is if everyone else can destroy the portals and I can't. But I am confused about the fact that I never used to have this problem with them, and now I do.
Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 1900+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1200+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50

NA-only characters:
Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • Higgs_Field
    Higgs_Field
    ✭✭
    I've been doing this dungeon almost every day for the past few weeks, both as a healer and DPS and I did not notice any changes. What I do when I have portals is run around in a circle with a radius of a few meters around the center. That way I can see the entire room and I don't miss any portals. Just make sure not to run into the boss, especially when she's in the blue phase.
  • Addihul
    Addihul
    ✭✭✭
    Run around in a ring formation like this guy mentioned.. if you are having problems targeting. Use reflective light as it tags 3 targets and ensures death to damage over time. This is good when mobs are coming out of the portal and you cant seem to tab target it. It ensures the portal gets tagged and goes down no matter what. Or if you have a lot of mana regen you can just use your radiant execute.
    Pevara La'Roche - NA / DC - The Order of Mundus - http://orderofmundus.com
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ran it on Sat, I got the portals three times. I didn't notice that they were any harder to target or destroy than in the past.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Daveheart
    Daveheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    I only ran it once over the weekend I think, but I didn't notice anything especially different.
    Daggerfall Covenant (PC-NA)

The Order of Mundus | Nightfighters
  • flawless4812
    I ran into the same issue you did last night.... the fight has not changed but I believe it was either the second or third portal phase. If I (tank) got this phase it was a wipe because a rediculous amount of portals would spawn then the phase after it goes back to normal and so on till you got two people doing portals

seems like the phases are mixed up or something because even our dps who one shots the portal was having a hard time keeping no adds from coming in

I also noticed the cage of torment is completely random now...... I almost never as a tank go in unless I lose aggro but for some reason I would go in like 4 times in a row today and yesterday

Engine guardian takes two steps then changes his element.(EXTREMELY ANNOYING)

Banished cells I got lifted alot more (5 times) as compared to never getting lifted

These are just small things I noticed but again it coukd be my luck or w/e

Idk if these are planned changes to the dungeons but it does make them alot more difficult especially as a tank if you can't control the battle.
  • baratron
    baratron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been doing this dungeon almost every day for the past few weeks, both as a healer and DPS and I did not notice any changes. What I do when I have portals is run around in a circle with a radius of a few meters around the center. That way I can see the entire room and I don't miss any portals.
    My problem is that I can't see through the flames to find the portals. So I absolutely rely on another player calling out their locations to me.

I actually don't understand how people are able to see the blue portals so easily when there are blue flames everywhere. Clearly there's some sort of mechanic that I need to learn2play but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong!
    Addihul wrote: »
    Run around in a ring formation like this guy mentioned.. if you are having problems targeting. Use reflective light as it tags 3 targets and ensures death to damage over time. This is good when mobs are coming out of the portal and you cant seem to tab target it. It ensures the portal gets tagged and goes down no matter what. Or if you have a lot of mana regen you can just use your radiant execute.
    I use Reflective Light with my Templar, it works quite well because of the DoT. Portals have 5115 HP on v16, apparently. I'm struggling to find an ability that works with my Sorcerer. Mages Wrath does about 2800 damage (can't remember the exact number). Crushing Shock does 3 x 1200ish, so both of these abilities require at least 2 fires before they work. Crystal Fragments does over 8000 damage but has the 1 second cast time - and I waste at least half of them because of not targeting the portals properly. Maybe I need to try to Tab-target everything but I don't have a button assigned to Tab-targeting on my controller.

Maybe I need to switch to keyboard and mouse literally just for this one part of the fight.
    I ran into the same issue you did last night.... the fight has not changed but I believe it was either the second or third portal phase. If I (tank) got this phase it was a wipe because a rediculous amount of portals would spawn then the phase after it goes back to normal and so on till you got two people doing portals

seems like the phases are mixed up or something because even our dps who one shots the portal was having a hard time keeping no adds from coming in
    My Tank uses Critical Rush+Wrecking Blow on the portals. Works pretty well for him because he has a ton of Stamina. I'd have to switch to different armour in order to use 2-handed, which would seriously affect my ability to sustain Magicka and heal people.

It's just so frustrating when you know you're doing something wrong but can't figure out what. Even more frustrating when you never used to have problems with it!
    Edited by baratron on December 1, 2015 9:43PM
    Guildmaster of the UESP Guild on the North American PC/Mac Server 1900+ CP & also found on the European PC/Mac Server 1200+ CP

These characters are on both servers:
    Alix de Feu - Breton Templar Healer level 50
    Brings-His-Own-Forest - Argonian Warden Healer level 50
    Hrodulf Bearpaw - Nord Warden Bear Friend & identical twin of Bjornolfr level 50

NA-only characters:
    Martin Draconis - Imperial Sorceror Healer (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Arzhela Petit - Breton Dragonknight Healer (Daggerfall Covenant) level 50
    Bjornolfr Steel-Shaper - Nord Dragonknight Crafter & Not-Much-Damage Dealer (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
    Verandis Bloodraven - Altmer Nightblade Healer & clone of Count Verandis Ravenwatch (Aldmeri Dominion) level 50
    Gethin Oakrun - Bosmer Nightblade Thief & terrible Tank (Ebonheart Pact) level 50
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Higgs_Field Same strategy. I rarely see people do it, but it is VERY effective.
  • Sunah
    Sunah
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you are just not seeing em, Possibly colorblind? Im not trying to be mean. I know a guy who just.. couldn't see the portals at all but after turning on colorblind mode he was like "wtf? that's what they look like?!"... also try putting on enemy health bars on, They should show up on portals making them easier to spot.