The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Wreaking blow in pvp: yes or no?

Scora
Scora
✭✭
Is wreaking blow worth using in pvp or am i better off with another high damage skill?
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's good if you can land it. Some players will make you want to throw your keyboard if you are relying on WB to damage them. Others will die in 3 hits and go cry on the forums.

What class?
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu the Destroyer - NB
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, you'll destroy most players in PvP with WB. Against a skilled player however, good luck :-)
  • Scora
    Scora
    ✭✭
    Templar or Nightblade ^^

I can use biting jabs or suprise attack in place of wreaking blow if needed.
  • blur
    blur
    ✭✭✭✭
    Either of those classes have alternatives to WB. Surprise Attack is much better coupled with Ambush for a NB and Heavy/Jabs weave is usually better for a Templar predicated on a Blinding Javelin/Stampede combo.

Wrecking Blow is good though. However you will get more mileage out of the alternative I mentioned depending on your build and whether or not you are any good at PvP.
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Um .... If you would read some post WB is all any one does in PvP and tons of players are calling for it's balance cause it is from what I read is broken to hit 20 meters away can be animation cancel to insta cast and can do all the way up to 10K damage even after mitigation.

WB is a broken cheap exploitable skill so yes it is very good in PvP only way to pvp is to exploit broken mechanics and skills.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WB distance to hit needs a check. Sometimes it hits from something that seems like 10-12 meter. Its fubar.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Um .... If you would read some post WB is all any one does in PvP and tons of players are calling for it's balance cause it is from what I read is broken to hit 20 meters away can be animation cancel to insta cast and can do all the way up to 10K damage even after mitigation.

WB is a broken cheap exploitable skill so yes it is very good in PvP only way to pvp is to exploit broken mechanics and skills.
    olsborg wrote: »
    WB distance to hit needs a check. Sometimes it hits from something that seems like 10-12 meter. Its fubar.

The range of WB it's 7 meters; which is 21 feet. It's working correctly, people just need to better judge it's distance. It's not OP either btw, and I really hope they don't nerf it.
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the nightblade I would highly recommend that you use Surprise Attack over WB in pvp. WB is easier on your stamina bar and will do roughly equal DPS assuming you can just spam it back to back, but remember that players can think and react. Nightblade is a squishy class and relies a lot on mobility and cloak to prevent damage, but WB is a 1s channel that leaves you vulnerable. There are plenty of NBs successfully using WB as their main DPS, but they're going to be vulnerable to players who know how to counter it by canceling the cast with runthroughs.

Alternately, you could run WB when you're pvping in a group, and surprise attack when solo. It's much easier to land WB on distracted foes in a melee with several other players.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • Kutsuu
    Kutsuu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There could be some lag involved in experiences you've had where it seemed to hit from too far away, but the range is not bugged. It's a very common mistake that people try to move away from WB when they see the wind up. It has a pretty large cone and a pretty long range - your absolute best counter is to run through the player. The moment you are out of their frontal cone, it will cancel the cast and they will have to start channeling again.
    PC/NA

Envy Me - Sorc
    Kutsus - NB
    Kutsmuffin - Temp
    Kutsuu - Temp
    Natsu Dragoneel - DK
    Kutsumo - NB
  • blur
    blur
    ✭✭✭✭

This is nonsense.
    And "if you would read some post" you would *** your ability to think clearly and stack garbage on top of knowledge. Seriously, the forums are a cesspool.

@Strider_Roshin is correct in the above post.

I would also add that WB is not insta cast even when weaved into a Heavy Attack. More importantly the only way it's going to do 10k damage (after mitigation) is against a fully debuffed player from a fully buffed player likely 4kish Weap Dmg with Empower.

You are also wrong about it being exploitable broken mechanic. There are several abilities in game currently that do just as much or more damage that are instant cast. You really don't know what you are talking about.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1v1 - it sucks. In a group - it owns. I'd probably go with stampede or something to severely slow your target. Just makes it a bit easier to land when they aren't as mobile. The snare it does is pretty OP tbh anyway
  • TheBull
    TheBull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Stop being bad, and scared. Then get better, or stick to quest grinding. Kill the nonsense.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kutsuu wrote: »

There could be some lag involved in experiences you've had where it seemed to hit from too far away, but the range is not bugged. It's a very common mistake that people try to move away from WB when they see the wind up. It has a pretty large cone and a pretty long range - your absolute best counter is to run through the player. The moment you are out of their frontal cone, it will cancel the cast and they will have to start channeling again.

Yes lagg messes the game up quite alot. But wb can do this even when your lagg is perfectly fine and your game is smooth (doesnt happen often but it does happen, early mornings mostly) but it still manages to hit you from way too far away and even sometimes when you should have dodged it. Something about its hit-check is messed up and needs a recode.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate your candor and attempt to rationally explain, however it is bugged, if you start the cast while someone is within 5m and they blink or roll away but are still in front of you it will still land. I've had it hit me and I've hit other players from as far as 18m, the key is that you have to start the cast while they are still in 5-7m range. This issue as best I've heard it described is that the range check is only on the initiation of the cast, now you can roll/bolt escape out of the cone and you can run through them. However if you are slowed and they start the cast at max range you will not be able to run through them, you will have to roll/bolt escape, CC them, or use an immovability pot. The key to WB spamming is actually keeping your opponent slowed while staying at max range and strafing, it is highly effective and will beat at least 60% if not more of the players you encounter in pvp. This is not the only issue with WB as you can be "bounced" to death without ever being able to break free or get up, sometimes without hitting the ground. This however is extremely rare and I attribute to lag.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lol @Forestd16b14_ESO claiming a skill is broken, what a surprise! FYI no it can't be insta cast. Either acquire knowledge before speaking (and no forum QQ =! knowledge of game mechanics) or learn what words mean before you incorrectly use em and make a fool of yourself.

TO the OP, if you are a dk or sorc yes its worth it. If you are a templar or NB no it not as you have better options. That being said, while templar and NB do have better options, they can still use the skill pretty effectively. Wrecking Blow can set a stamplar up with a easy Jabs channel for the K/O, and NBs can do some dirty dirty things with wrecking blow and cloak. Still, if youre trying to make an optimal build that makes the most of every skill slot, id stick to the basic premise:

If you have a strong class stam single target use that. If not use wrecking blow, cus its the only other option.
    Edited by CyrusArya on November 28, 2015 8:34PM
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • blur
    blur
    ✭✭✭✭

I appreciate your candor and attempt to rationally explain, however it is bugged, if you start the cast while someone is within 5m and they blink or roll away but are still in front of you it will still land. I've had it hit me and I've hit other players from as far as 18m, the key is that you have to start the cast while they are still in 5-7m range. This issue as best I've heard it described is that the range check is only on the initiation of the cast, now you can roll/bolt escape out of the cone and you can run through them. However if you are slowed and they start the cast at max range you will not be able to run through them, you will have to roll/bolt escape, CC them, or use an immovability pot. The key to WB spamming is actually keeping your opponent slowed while staying at max range and strafing, it is highly effective and will beat at least 60% if not more of the players you encounter in pvp. This is not the only issue with WB as you can be "bounced" to death without ever being able to break free or get up, sometimes without hitting the ground. This however is extremely rare and I attribute to lag.

Not sure if you realize this but this works with a lot of attacks and skills.

Take Bow for example. Test this yourself. Take out your bow and find a target and begin a heavy attack. Mid animation turn and face the opposite direction, once you are facing the other way, let your attack go. You will still hit your target. Same concept really.
  • Abob
    Abob
    ✭✭✭

The range of WB it's 7 meters; which is 21 feet. It's working correctly, people just need to better judge it's distance. It's not OP either btw, and I really hope they don't nerf it.

Main problem when judging it's distance or that of any skill is lag, which seems to have increased recently, with WB's hitting from the player's back, or with skills not working unless you push the keys multiple times and heavy attacks not charging unless you use a skill previously.
  • Reeko
    Reeko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wrecking Blow*
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its great. Its freakin great. Long knockdown time, buff, massive damage, spammable, and has range.

Combine it with surprise attack.

Cloak, then surprise attack for the gap closer stun, then WB That's GG.

Had it happen last night lol, so fast couldn't even be mad.

Never saw him cuz cloak, Surpris attack lands for over 3k, then WB for over 12k. As a sorc dps, I couldn't respond, the gap closer stun is enough to prevent any kinda reaction to the next move.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    blur wrote: »

This is nonsense.
    And "if you would read some post" you would *** your ability to think clearly and stack garbage on top of knowledge. Seriously, the forums are a cesspool.

I would also add that WB is not insta cast even when weaved into a Heavy Attack. More importantly the only way it's going to do 10k damage (after mitigation) is against a fully debuffed player from a fully buffed player likely 4kish Weap Dmg with Empower.

You are also wrong about it being exploitable broken mechanic. There are several abilities in game currently that do just as much or more damage that are instant cast. You really don't know what you are talking about.

Lol I can get wrecking blow far higher than that, hell my tooltip value is at 16k+, pve people have recorded 60k+ hits. Especially from stealth..
  • blur
    blur
    ✭✭✭✭
    zornyan wrote: »

This is nonsense.

Lol I can get wrecking blow far higher than that, hell my tooltip value is at 16k+, pve people have recorded 60k+ hits. Especially from stealth..

Of course, but we are talking about PvP not PvE. I know WB can do over 10k, I main a Stam Sorc remember? It's my bread and butter offensive attack. However saying its insta cast and able to go over 10k after mitigation is just horseshit.

Edited by blur on November 29, 2015 3:05AM
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrecking Blow takes really good timing to pull off in PvP. Will it destroy someone? Absolutely. But being able to reliably use it is another story. I find ganking with one other is the real way to pull it off with any success. Anytime I'm caught by it is when I'm ambushed by 2 people and don't have enough time to react.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is nonsense.

Of course, but we are talking about PvP not PvE. I know WB can do over 10k, I main a Stam Sorc remember? It's my bread and butter offensive attack. However saying its insta cast and able to go over 10k after mitigation is just horseshit.

Um you realize like our whole class is gonna take over 10k after mitigation right?

Let's say I did have boundless and aegis on, given me another 9ish% mitigation, that WB would still be hitting me for over 10k.

That's with me running vet 16 gear, light 5 medium and heavy, the typical sorc dps line up.

So yeah it does hit over 10k with mitigation on the whole sorc dps light armor builds.
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • blur
    blur
    ✭✭✭✭

This is nonsense.

Um you realize like our whole class is gonna take over 10k after mitigation right?

Let's say I did have boundless and aegis on, given me another 9ish% mitigation, that WB would still be hitting me for over 10k.

That's with me running vet 16 gear, light 5 medium and heavy, the typical sorc dps line up.

So yeah it does hit over 10k with mitigation on the whole sorc dps light armor builds.

Again, I never said it doesn't hit for over 10k. What you are ignoring that I did say is that said WB is also empowered and buffed and you are likely being hit with a maul thus taking armor penetration and likely affected by CP which also penetrates armor. I also stated above I get 10k+ WBs on my sorc. I don't know any Stam Sorc in game that has higher damage than me as I have max CP and have the most AP possible on a Stam Sorc. That said, I can tell you that my average WBs are not always over 10k. In fact I have seen true mitigated WB crits do 7k. So let's stop trying to act like WB always hits over 10k even after mitigation, this is false. More importantly, I was mostly speaking out against the 20m insta WB, that is truly horseshit.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always would be a long shot when speaking about it against all classes and races, that can be said of all moves.

It is true that WB will consistently hit for over 10k when facing any class in light armor.

Now Im not saying this is a bad thing, but is true.

The biggest issue for all knockdown moves is the CC immunity bug, its most apparent with WB because the knockdown time allows for the timing of the second WB. I can et a similar effect if my frag procs after my follow up, which is inconsistent.

But the fact we are all so very knowledgeable about one particular move, even by those whom have no access to, proves how good it is.
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds