Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Magicka Dragonknight - Need Advice

• KostasDragonborn
    Moglijuana wrote: »
    I've basically been using the same bar set up as you, but keep switching back to Destro/Resto because I have too much fun with Molten Armaments. The only difference really is instead of inner light I use structured entropy on my attack bar, and igneous shield on my back bar. A quick Igneous -> Healing ward -> Combat prayer not only heals me well enough to survive a good amount of burst, but I also get the 8% dmg increase which lets me counter attack after a cc.

Last time I checked the 8% damage bonus from Ingenious Shield is broken.

from Combat Prayer? It's not, I checked the tool tip values, they increase significantly.
    - Walk with virtue, friend.
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't meet the V16 DK pre-req to comment, buuut, I'm going to anyway.

Would drop Inner Light and replace with a heal and Structured Entropy.

Will give you more spell power and more health, which seems to be what you wanted.
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
    (+3 not worth mentioning, yet)
  •  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jules wrote: »
    You are the reason magicka dk makes me so sad.
    You're doing nearly EVERYTHING right and yet you still can't catch a break.

I would take off devouring swarm on both bars. Use meteor on one or other. Or perhaps standard if you play in sewers/close corners a lot. I personally can't justify using inner light on both bars but that's up to you. Fossilize is great cc, try and use immediately after a meteor to keep your opponent in that dot.

My magicka dk bars are generally:

DW/resto

DW: proxy, deep breath, eruption, flame lash, choking talons (or burning for dmg but maim dmg reduction is huge) -devouring swarm
    Resto: igneous shield, blessings of restoration, fossilize, elusive mist (or rapid regen in group), volatile armor -shootingstar

S&B/resto is also a viable combo for tankiness but you lose damage like crazy and it makes it a whole other issue.

PS: gear looks pretty good but I think you should have more magicka regen. Try the kag/magnus route or maybe mess with your enchants. Should really try and be at 2k minimum. Otherwise fantastic job, keep fighting the good fight! #longlivemagickadk

Thanks for popping in here Jules! Sorry to make you sad, but think of it as Lefty says getting the joy of playing on hardmode with more satisfaction when you pull off some nice kills 1v1 or 1vX. I will try your suggestions!!!

Of course :) I love magicka dk too and agree, the hard mode of playing it is a treat in its own right! Best of luck my firery friend.
    I've basically been using the same bar set up as you, but keep switching back to Destro/Resto because I have too much fun with Molten Armaments. The only difference really is instead of inner light I use structured entropy on my attack bar, and igneous shield on my back bar. A quick Igneous -> Healing ward -> Combat prayer not only heals me well enough to survive a good amount of burst, but I also get the 8% dmg increase which lets me counter attack after a cc.

Igneous gives 30%- major mending. Not broken that I know of.
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

IGN- @Juies || Youtube || Twitch
    EP - Julianos . Jules . Family Jules . Jules of Misrule. Joy
    DC - Julsie . Jules . Jukes . Jojuji . Juliet . Jaded
    AD - Juice . Jubaited . Joules . Julmanji . Julogy . Jubroni . Ju Jitsu

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  •  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    puffy99 wrote: »
    I really like the Heavy 5 piece Elf bane/Magnus/Willpwer route after a week or so with it. Course I play IC pretty much all the time now for stones and mainly in the Arena/PVP area. I really like the extra Phy Resist, but the quest for more spell damage continues, but at least you don't die so easy as in light.

Still with Talons, Embers, Lash, HardArm and Magelight you at least have a fighting chance and can Resto if I need the heal.
    Works great in small teams, 1v1 depends on the competition/CP numbers. You must have Magicka drinks at the ready though.

Hopefully DK's get a buff in the near future- a legit heal or more lash/whip power.

Purple Elf Bane is 10K and up depending on the piece..
    Gold yikes, 40-90K for a chest piece.

Grumpy- I want your gold stuff. that looks nice and those are workable numbers for sure.

I did try elf bane as well, just my two cents:
    I found 5 piece heavy totally insane to manage due to the lack of cost reductions. I simply could not survive due to lack of sustain. It was only manageable when I was dk emp. Obviously those stats aren't real as a regular dk, so I would personally steer clear of 5 heavy/2 light options in favor of 5 light/2 heavy or 5/1/1
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

IGN- @Juies || Youtube || Twitch
    EP - Julianos . Jules . Family Jules . Jules of Misrule. Joy
    DC - Julsie . Jules . Jukes . Jojuji . Juliet . Jaded
    AD - Juice . Jubaited . Joules . Julmanji . Julogy . Jubroni . Ju Jitsu

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  • KostasDragonborn
    You are the reason magicka dk makes me so sad.
    You're doing nearly EVERYTHING right and yet you still can't catch a break.

I would take off devouring swarm on both bars. Use meteor on one or other. Or perhaps standard if you play in sewers/close corners a lot. I personally can't justify using inner light on both bars but that's up to you. Fossilize is great cc, try and use immediately after a meteor to keep your opponent in that dot.

My magicka dk bars are generally:

DW/resto

DW: proxy, deep breath, eruption, flame lash, choking talons (or burning for dmg but maim dmg reduction is huge) -devouring swarm
    Resto: igneous shield, blessings of restoration, fossilize, elusive mist (or rapid regen in group), volatile armor -shootingstar

S&B/resto is also a viable combo for tankiness but you lose damage like crazy and it makes it a whole other issue.

PS: gear looks pretty good but I think you should have more magicka regen. Try the kag/magnus route or maybe mess with your enchants. Should really try and be at 2k minimum. Otherwise fantastic job, keep fighting the good fight! #longlivemagickadk

Thanks for popping in here Jules! Sorry to make you sad, but think of it as Lefty says getting the joy of playing on hardmode with more satisfaction when you pull off some nice kills 1v1 or 1vX. I will try your suggestions!!!

Of course :) I love magicka dk too and agree, the hard mode of playing it is a treat in its own right! Best of luck my firery friend.

Igneous gives 30%- major mending. Not broken that I know of.

I think he meant 8% damage buff from Combat prayer. Also not broken!

I had the same issues with 5 Heavy, not enough resource sustain.
    Edited by KostasDragonborn on October 30, 2015 7:02PM
  • puffy99
    puffy99
    ✭✭✭
    blue magi
    I really like the Heavy 5 piece Elf bane/Magnus/Willpwer route after a week or so with it. Course I play IC pretty much all the time now for stones and mainly in the Arena/PVP area. I really like the extra Phy Resist, but the quest for more spell damage continues, but at least you don't die so easy as in light.

Still with Talons, Embers, Lash, HardArm and Magelight you at least have a fighting chance and can Resto if I need the heal.
    Works great in small teams, 1v1 depends on the competition/CP numbers. You must have Magicka drinks at the ready though.

Hopefully DK's get a buff in the near future- a legit heal or more lash/whip power.

Grumpy- I want your gold stuff. that looks nice and those are workable numbers for sure.

I found 5 piece heavy totally insane to manage due to the lack of cost reductions. I simply could not survive due to lack of sustain. It was only manageable when I was dk emp. Obviously those stats aren't real as a regular dk, so I would personally steer clear of 5 heavy/2 light options in favor of 5 light/2 heavy or 5/1/1

Blue Magika/Health bifood, 1400 or greater Magicka regen and yep you have to pop spell power or magicka potions if the fight goes longer than 20 seconds. Workable, not broken I don't think... Different way of playing, but yeah in PVE on sustained battles it would be an issue unless you keep popping them potions. Still with spell power you are going to get the buffs from that as well and keep spamming those talons to keep them locked..lol

We will see what Julianno's brings or the price of Krag goes down..

• KostasDragonborn
    blue magi

Blue Magika/Health bifood, 1400 or greater Magicka regen and yep you have to pop spell power or magicka potions if the fight goes longer than 20 seconds. Workable, not broken I don't think... Different way of playing, but yeah in PVE on sustained battles it would be an issue unless you keep popping them potions. Still with spell power you are going to get the buffs from that as well and keep spamming those talons to keep them locked..lol

We will see what Julianno's brings or the price of Krag goes down..

Price of Krag? It's craftable...price of mats are still high, however if you've been in IC the last two months you should have tel var stones and mats coming out of your ears by now.

As far as spell power pots. I can't use anything but max level tripots, and max purple tri stat food, which puts my M at around 36K H23K S15.5K. This is from a PVP perspective for full contact front line action and close quarter combat, have to have the stam I'm getting from the tri food and recovery from the tri pots to stay mobile, breaking free of stuns, and consecutive dodge rolling. Also, spamming Igneous Shield is a nice way to recover your stamina pool due to the Helping Hands passive. If you depleted your stamina and you are expecting a stun/fear etc coming, you can trade some Mag for Stam on the fly, while keeping a damage shield up. It works well in in clutch situations.

I have been frustrated by an occurrence I was able to recreate today with a buddy on the PTS. Fully charged heavy attacks out of stealth. I'm pretty new and still learning much about the game, so I would really like to know what to do about this, as I'm getting targeted in a similar fashion, as we were able to emulate on the PTS, always form Nightblades out of stealth. The death recap states the usual Camo Hunter, Surprise Attack, heavy attack, light attack, all happening within the couple seconds that I can't move (not always camo hunter but different variations of physical attacks that are all applied rapidly i.e. 5 attacks within an approximate 2 second stun period).

Will try to get some screen shots of the death recap as well.

The thing is, you are stunned after that fully charged heavy attack hits you out of stealth, and you cannot break-free or dodge roll for a few seconds. This crap happens and I'm done because of the ensuing barrage of attacks that all hit me while I'm kneeled down stunned and completely immobile with no escape with full stamina. We tested it repeatedly, and I could not dodge roll, move, or break-free with a full stamina pool of 15000. I don't want to have to slot Radiant Mage Light, and take the 5% penalty to health and Magicka by not having Inner Light toggled just in case this *** happens.

Edited by KostasDragonborn on October 31, 2015 9:28PM
  • KostasDragonborn

may try to record this tomorrow and post a clip...as well as try this with my DK, because I'm pretty sure any class can stun you with a fully charged heavy attack out of stealth, however I'm always experiencing this as a night blade semi instant execution.
    Edited by KostasDragonborn on October 31, 2015 9:24PM
  • puffy99
    puffy99
    ✭✭✭
    I think the 5% reduction for RML is max magicka recovery pool and does not effect spell damage stats.
    Also I believe some passives in the mages guild reduce it to 3%. In PvP for me it is pretty much required for stealth'd NB's.

Yeah I don't craft, never got into that..
  • Master_Kas
    Master_Kas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    may try to record this tomorrow and post a clip...as well as try this with my DK, because I'm pretty sure any class can stun you with a fully charged heavy attack out of stealth, however I'm always experiencing this as a night blade semi instant execution.

It's probably because they use concealed weapon (magicka morph) or surprise attack (stamina morph). It's tooltip states it stuns from sneak (works from cloak too so no crouch needed, and it stuns you if the nightblade is in clouding swarm too (the invisible vampire ult morph) this is only if you don't have CC Immunity or use immunity pots ofc.

Other attacks shouldn't stun you from sneak if you have radiant magelight on.
    EU | PC
  • Stoney_McGeee
    Stoney_McGeee
    ✭✭✭

i was thinking of trying out 5h/2L and use the 4 elf and 2 engine and 2 torg but like you mentioned, idk how the sustain would be...

I'm liking the 5L/1/1 right now.
    (Soulless Knights)
    AD Stoneey DK (Vr16) homeless
    AD StoneyHeals Templar (Vr16) homeless
    AD Stoknee NB (v1) Training
    AD Psychosis Sorc (37) Training
  • _Chaos
    _Chaos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

i was thinking of trying out 5h/2L and use the 4 elf and 2 engine and 2 torg but like you mentioned, idk how the sustain would be...

I'm using 5 Julianos w/4 Elf bane (dual wield setup)
    And 5 Julianos, 3 Elf bane with Destro/Resto setup

Sustain seems to be fine as long as you can afford to chug potions which really don't cost all that much anymore. :)
    'Chaos
  • Stoney_McGeee
    Stoney_McGeee
    ✭✭✭

Sustain seems to be fine as long as you can afford to chug potions which really don't cost all that much anymore. :)

What's your stats looking like though? I thought about something like that but would recovery be really low , plus your max magic?
    (Soulless Knights)
    AD Stoneey DK (Vr16) homeless
    AD StoneyHeals Templar (Vr16) homeless
    AD Stoknee NB (v1) Training
    AD Psychosis Sorc (37) Training
  • _Chaos
    _Chaos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What's your stats looking like though? I thought about something like that but would recovery be really low , plus your max magic?

I'll let you know once I find someone to make me vr15 Glyphs.

Right now I'm sitting at 2.3k Spell Damage, 1850 Mag. Regen.
    19k Health and 21k Magicka. (Healthy Willpower rings and all Arch mage has health enchantments still - these will be changing ASAP)

I'll post a pic come Monday (Don't have access to an unbanned forum account until weekdays o:) )
    'Chaos