Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How to kill a nb ( from a nb)

ostrapz
ostrapz
✭✭✭
For starters this is not for trolling. A v9 stam nb on xbx, my only toon. Many nerf threads for nb, admittedly probaby best class atm, but not invincible. I do not believe a nerf is needed. The flare from pvp definitely could use some sort of buff. Also I will admit a min/max stam nb hits extremely hard but when you piercing mark them they literally crumble. Understand alot of nb are immature, trolls, or just plain bad. Also a side note, zos has said they will not be nerfing cloak, only change they will be making is a magicka regen decline while cloaked. To begin i will start with general things then go to to specifics. Always best to get in open terrain, i have fooled many people in a fight by simply running behind a tree to hide my emblem above my head till i can regen. Try not to chase a nb, the class is built for escape and any class but sorc will run out of resources before u get to them. If you beat a nb and he runs off chalk it as a win and leave .You must cc as often as possible and apply pressure, if it looks like your getting the upper hand save ur cc till they get to low enuff health to burst them down. Now for specifics.

Magelight is first, can help abosrb alot of sneak damage and is a deterrent to me for a potential target. That being said , it is supposed to stop sneaking stuns, i dueled someone running it, unaware if they had radiant or not but i got my suprise attack stuns off fine so in that aspect may be bugged. The detection radius isnt great either but it definitely helps.

Caltrops can be good if you are a bit tanky dk or templar. A big stam cost but it gives you a safe bubble. Throw it down , stand in the middle, and buff up. Impossible to cloak up , small dot, snare on it is key. If he junps in with ambush just fight em and save ur cc until he trys to escape , which if ur competent you should destroy him here. If they try to range you dk,flap your wings, templar heal, sorc stack sheild, dps shouldnt be able to get you from range. If they are to scared to get in range after 20seconds of that then they are a troll, sorry,, nothing you can really do but rush at that point.

Don't really use magicka weapons, but steel tornado in a the direction of a cloaking nb and you can sometimes rip the cloak. Wreckig blow follows a nb even after they cloack if you know their general direction. Bombard can help too but idk if anyone uses it lol.

Now for classes.

Sorcs are best equipped to beat Nb. I have the most trouble against an aggresive sorc. Stack your sheild and then go, many sorcs lose to me cuz once the blue leaves their hp bar they retreat to stack again, you will need to keep pressure to out-dps. Mines can be used offensively and defensively, an average nb will step right on them if you stick by them. Curse should be applied the entire fight, can be buggy and really destroy my cloak. Once you see a nb cloak streak , it has a wide radius, if you get the stun take advantage and throw those frags, a good nb will dodge if they arent cc'ed so thats your chance to win.

Dk is next difficult, mostly because if you are tanky you can avoid falling to pieces from a gank. Don't know a dk personally so don't know move names. This brings back caltrops from earlier. I can have some really long fights because of their sustain, but lack of dps. If you don't caltrop your only real hope is to get their hp low, snare and get some dot from fire, use your chain to gap close if they run. Immovable can help, and whatver move that purges my armor break debuff is critical. A good dk and good nb can be neverending though. Eventually they might just leave lol.

Tenplar isnt equipped very well for a few reasons, a few moves are key though. Your best bet is to continue cc breaking with javelin and keeping hp up till you get a good opening. I personally cant outdps the ultimate heal but may be because im not fully stamina specced or geared yet. Shards can pull out of stealth, but the best attack is the spear move, i think its called piercing strikes. It is really really annoying to fight. Spam that ***, it will stop cloaking and is decent dps, a knockback i believe too. Drop that meter aoe on top too if you have it.

Nb, use piercing mark.

This mostly for cyro, in the sewers all you can really do is mines runes ad caltrop the area. Nb have advantage here, but why would'nt they . If you chase u just pull mobs. Just stick with your group , watch hp, and stay aware. Unless they are very good they are more of a nuisance than a problem when i run wit my group.

As a closing statement, a nb is meant to do damage at a high rate and escape, that is by design. Alot of people get mad when you get ganked on your horse and die, sace your stam. Or when they leave their keep and get ganked outside it, but die and go back the same way. If you fight a small group of nightblades and they are ressing their is honestly nothing you can do, just leave. Most importantly if you get ganked, and turn around and whoop the nb and he runs that does'nt mean nb is op cuz you didnt kill him, thats by design, you won the fight. If you chase or stand and wait for him to go back and die it's your own fault. Its almost comical watching a group of 6 who waste 10minutes trying to find 1 nb. Just to kill him and find out, .. Wait for it.. He will respawn. When fighting a nb keep pressure on him, especially when hes low hp, even if you are too, if he escapes for more than 15 seconds he is no longer pressured and its time to go.
Curious to here some serious input, maybe some other classes opinions.
Xbox 1 NA
Stamblade: Grand overlord
Stamsorc: Major
Magplar: Centurion
551k vma
  • KostasDragonborn
    ostrapz wrote: »
    For starters this is not for trolling. A v9 stam nb on xbx, my only toon. Many nerf threads for nb, admittedly probaby best class atm, but not invincible. I do not believe a nerf is needed. The flare from pvp definitely could use some sort of buff. Also I will admit a min/max stam nb hits extremely hard but when you piercing mark them they literally crumble. Understand alot of nb are immature, trolls, or just plain bad. Also a side note, zos has said they will not be nerfing cloak, only change they will be making is a magicka regen decline while cloaked. To begin i will start with general things then go to to specifics. Always best to get in open terrain, i have fooled many people in a fight by simply running behind a tree to hide my emblem above my head till i can regen. Try not to chase a nb, the class is built for escape and any class but sorc will run out of resources before u get to them. If you beat a nb and he runs off chalk it as a win and leave .You must cc as often as possible and apply pressure, if it looks like your getting the upper hand save ur cc till they get to low enuff health to burst them down. Now for specifics.

Magelight is first, can help abosrb alot of sneak damage and is a deterrent to me for a potential target. That being said , it is supposed to stop sneaking stuns, i dueled someone running it, unaware if they had radiant or not but i got my suprise attack stuns off fine so in that aspect may be bugged. The detection radius isnt great either but it definitely helps.

Caltrops can be good if you are a bit tanky dk or templar. A big stam cost but it gives you a safe bubble. Throw it down , stand in the middle, and buff up. Impossible to cloak up , small dot, snare on it is key. If he junps in with ambush just fight em and save ur cc until he trys to escape , which if ur competent you should destroy him here. If they try to range you dk,flap your wings, templar heal, sorc stack sheild, dps shouldnt be able to get you from range. If they are to scared to get in range after 20seconds of that then they are a troll, sorry,, nothing you can really do but rush at that point.

Don't really use magicka weapons, but steel tornado in a the direction of a cloaking nb and you can sometimes rip the cloak. Wreckig blow follows a nb even after they cloack if you know their general direction. Bombard can help too but idk if anyone uses it lol.

Now for classes.

Sorcs are best equipped to beat Nb. I have the most trouble against an aggresive sorc. Stack your sheild and then go, many sorcs lose to me cuz once the blue leaves their hp bar they retreat to stack again, you will need to keep pressure to out-dps. Mines can be used offensively and defensively, an average nb will step right on them if you stick by them. Curse should be applied the entire fight, can be buggy and really destroy my cloak. Once you see a nb cloak streak , it has a wide radius, if you get the stun take advantage and throw those frags, a good nb will dodge if they arent cc'ed so thats your chance to win.

Dk is next difficult, mostly because if you are tanky you can avoid falling to pieces from a gank. Don't know a dk personally so don't know move names. This brings back caltrops from earlier. I can have some really long fights because of their sustain, but lack of dps. If you don't caltrop your only real hope is to get their hp low, snare and get some dot from fire, use your chain to gap close if they run. Immovable can help, and whatver move that purges my armor break debuff is critical. A good dk and good nb can be neverending though. Eventually they might just leave lol.

Tenplar isnt equipped very well for a few reasons, a few moves are key though. Your best bet is to continue cc breaking with javelin and keeping hp up till you get a good opening. I personally cant outdps the ultimate heal but may be because im not fully stamina specced or geared yet. Shards can pull out of stealth, but the best attack is the spear move, i think its called piercing strikes. It is really really annoying to fight. Spam that ***, it will stop cloaking and is decent dps, a knockback i believe too. Drop that meter aoe on top too if you have it.

Nb, use piercing mark.

This mostly for cyro, in the sewers all you can really do is mines runes ad caltrop the area. Nb have advantage here, but why would'nt they . If you chase u just pull mobs. Just stick with your group , watch hp, and stay aware. Unless they are very good they are more of a nuisance than a problem when i run wit my group.

As a closing statement, a nb is meant to do damage at a high rate and escape, that is by design. Alot of people get mad when you get ganked on your horse and die, sace your stam. Or when they leave their keep and get ganked outside it, but die and go back the same way. If you fight a small group of nightblades and they are ressing their is honestly nothing you can do, just leave. Most importantly if you get ganked, and turn around and whoop the nb and he runs that does'nt mean nb is op cuz you didnt kill him, thats by design, you won the fight. If you chase or stand and wait for him to go back and die it's your own fault. Its almost comical watching a group of 6 who waste 10minutes trying to find 1 nb. Just to kill him and find out, .. Wait for it.. He will respawn. When fighting a nb keep pressure on him, especially when hes low hp, even if you are too, if he escapes for more than 15 seconds he is no longer pressured and its time to go.

Most of your solutions are based on being in a fight with an NB, being aware of an NB's presence in your near vicinity, already having made contact. However, the issue is that an out of stealth or revealed player is rendered incapacitated with no possibility to break-free, move, or dodge (even with a full stamina pool).

The only "preventative solution" is Radiant Mage Light, which gives you a -5% Health penalty, and a -5% Magicka penalty for not being able to slot Inner Light. The sacrifice is not proportionate to the threat, or the frequency of its occurrence.

We went on the PTS today to duel and tested out having my NB guildie attack me out of stealth. When attacked by a fully charged heavy attack from stealth I was stunned, could not break-free, or dodge roll for at least 2 seconds. Those two seconds are usually summed up on your death recap during which you received enough consecutive physical damage to deplete your entire health pool.

You cannot have immovable pots up constantly, you cannot just stand inside of caltrops in the middle of Imperial City hoping for an NB to appear, most builds (especially Magicka builds) cannot constantly have Immovable active. Since NB's (not the good ones IMO) already attack you out of stealth and deal massive damage and have the advantage of the element of surprise by design. Couple that with a couple of seconds where the target is completely incapacitated and it's just ***, and breeds a certain type of skulking, cowardly, low skill player and crap gameplay. 1v1 fights should last a while and test your build, your skills, and reflexes. It shouldn't be over within a couple of seconds during which you are unable to break-free or stun.

That being said, I am not an experienced player compared to so many, I only started ESO in July 2015. Whatever other out of stealth attack skill may be causing this unbreakable stun is unknown to me. I just know what we tested on the PTS today, and that *** was just faking ***, to put it bluntly.

Now, that I have bitched and moaned enough, I'm over it. Until I find a viable counter that doesn't include Radiant Mage Light or supernatural spider senses.
    Edited by KostasDragonborn on October 31, 2015 10:20PM
    - Walk with virtue, friend.
  • ostrapz
    ostrapz
    ✭✭✭
    @KostasDragonborn yes, most of these are in scenario that u kno there is a nb. That is intentional, because a nb attack from stealth should be pretty deadly, thats the classes strength, i acknowledge some stam nb can hit a bit too hard. As far as immovable i was speaking on the heavy armor skill, i believe it helps with cc. As far as not being able to cc break that is a problem with eso, its not limited to nightblades, and if a night blade cant cc break he will die just the same. As far as standing in city with caltrops i did specify that this was mostly for cyro and that there is a clear nb advantage in sewer. Unbreakable stun may come from suprise attack/cocealed weapon from stealth.
    Xbox 1 NA
    Stamblade: Grand overlord
    Stamsorc: Major
    Magplar: Centurion
    551k vma
  • Evandus
    Evandus
    ✭✭✭✭
    @KostasDragonborn yes, most of these are in scenario that u kno there is a nb. That is intentional, because a nb attack from stealth should be pretty deadly, thats the classes strength, i acknowledge some stam nb can hit a bit too hard. As far as immovable i was speaking on the heavy armor skill, i believe it helps with cc. As far as not being able to cc break that is a problem with eso, its not limited to nightblades, and if a night blade cant cc break he will die just the same. As far as standing in city with caltrops i did specify that this was mostly for cyro and that there is a clear nb advantage in sewer. Unbreakable stun may come from suprise attack/cocealed weapon from stealth.

Which points directly to a nerf needed for damage out of stealth. Stopping or slowing magicka regen while using cloak is not a viable long term solution.

Instagibbing shouldn't be the meta. Nor should it be such a strong option that people abandon their preferred class and roll up nightblades. We saw a similar thing with my preferred class, DK's and their defenses.
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now for classes.

Nb, use piercing mark.

Most of your solutions are based on being in a fight with an NB, being aware of an NB's presence in your near vicinity, already having made contact. However, the issue is that an out of stealth or revealed player is rendered incapacitated with no possibility to break-free, move, or dodge (even with a full stamina pool).

The only "preventative solution" is Radiant Mage Light, which gives you a -5% Health penalty, and a -5% Magicka penalty for not being able to slot Inner Light. The sacrifice is not proportionate to the threat, or the frequency of its occurrence.

We went on the PTS today to duel and tested out having my NB guildie attack me out of stealth. When attacked by a fully charged heavy attack from stealth I was stunned, could not break-free, or dodge roll for at least 2 seconds. Those two seconds are usually summed up on your death recap during which you received enough consecutive physical damage to deplete your entire health pool.

You cannot have immovable pots up constantly, you cannot just stand inside of caltrops in the middle of Imperial City hoping for an NB to appear, most builds (especially Magicka builds) cannot constantly have Immovable active. Since NB's (not the good ones IMO) already attack you out of stealth and deal massive damage and have the advantage of the element of surprise by design. Couple that with a couple of seconds where the target is completely incapacitated and it's just ***, and breeds a certain type of skulking, cowardly, low skill player and crap gameplay. 1v1 fights should last a while and test your build, your skills, and reflexes. It shouldn't be over within a couple of seconds during which you are unable to break-free or stun.

That being said, I am not an experienced player compared to so many, I only started ESO in July 2015. Whatever other out of stealth attack skill may be causing this unbreakable stun is unknown to me. I just know what we tested on the PTS today, and that *** was just faking ***, to put it bluntly.

Now, that I have bitched and moaned enough, I'm over it. Until I find a viable counter that doesn't include Radiant Mage Light or supernatural spider senses.

I've experienced the part in bold myself, but I think it's an issue with the game rather than an issue with nb class. Dueled a bursty mageblade a fair bit last week and he beat me a few times. When he beat me he was able to do it in less than 5 seconds by ambushing from stealth with proxy det and then fearing me. This was his opening move and I was always expecting it, and when I was able to instantly break free is was no problem, just a streak through him and I was out of det range with him now stunned and a frag proc'd and mines down. But on a couple of occasions I simply wasn't able to break out of his opening fear, despite having full stam due to it being the start of the fight, and then obviously he was able to finish me off before the fear naturally ended.

This is clearly a bug because we should be able to break free with full stam 100% of the time. The fact that we can't isn't the fault of the NB but the shoddy net code in this game. There is a similar issue with cc immunity not applying after a successful break free.

I've never played a NB so I don't know if they ever work out how to recreate and exploit this bug, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they can't help it.
    PC | EU
  • KostasDragonborn

Will test this on PTS as well, concerning what else may cause an unbreakable stun out of stealth. My issue isn't that NB's can hit hard, it's that they exploit this unbreakable stun crap, and I guess weave those attacks into the duration of it to get you down and out without a chance.

I know Immovable is the heavy armor shield, too expensive for magicka users to keep it up, and the duration is awful for anyone not using 5 heavy.

It's bad enough that Mass Hysteria is buggy and also randomly unbreakable, allowing the rejoicing NB to go to town on you for 4 seconds of buffed physical attacks.

I must admit that I do see a balance, I suppose, in their squishy-ness compared to their high damage output. For instance, my stat breakdown on my kill counter is tracking NB's as my most killed class with a leading percentage of 31.67% out of my total kills, and NB's are reigning at 42% cause of my total deaths. However, those percentages used to nearly mirror each other , rather than show a disparity that is IMO the result of a perma stun exploit. Even though the percentage of cause of death is higher, the number of kills I've executed on the class is more than triple the deaths received, but that's irrelevant when comparing percentages. I realize these aren't all my killing blows, yet the numbers are an indicator.

I suppose if you are one of the small percentage of players with over 300 CP you could afford to slot enough into Elusive. However, I am unsure if this would effect the perma stun mentioned above.
  • KostasDragonborn

Now for classes.

Nb, use piercing mark.

I've experienced the part in bold myself, but I think it's an issue with the game rather than an issue with nb class. Dueled a bursty mageblade a fair bit last week and he beat me a few times. When he beat me he was able to do it in less than 5 seconds by ambushing from stealth with proxy det and then fearing me. This was his opening move and I was always expecting it, and when I was able to instantly break free is was no problem, just a streak through him and I was out of det range with him now stunned and a frag proc'd and mines down. But on a couple of occasions I simply wasn't able to break out of his opening fear, despite having full stam due to it being the start of the fight, and then obviously he was able to finish me off before the fear naturally ended.

This is clearly a bug because we should be able to break free with full stam 100% of the time. The fact that we can't isn't the fault of the NB but the shoddy net code in this game. There is a similar issue with cc immunity not applying after a successful break free.

I've never played a NB so I don't know if they ever work out how to recreate and exploit this bug, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they can't help it.

You make a valid point that it's not the classes fault that there are unbreakable stun exploits. However, the fully charged buff-able heavy attack from stealth (unbuffed) applied an unbreakable stun 100% of the time. The fact that NB's know this and exploit it arguably makes them the most despised class in the current environment. Of course the question can be posed that wouldn't any class take advantage of such an exploit? Well, my guild mate who logged in with his V16 NB was unaware of it and indicated that he did not conform to this play style, yet still felt he was effectively and formidably playing the class in PVP. Leave it up to most NB's I would bet that most who know will exploit the unbreakable stun option, and even more so the fully charged heavy attack that works 100% of the time as opposed to Mass Hysteria which is randomly unbreakable. I don't think anyone is screaming for a nerf rather than a fix. As you mentioned, no stun should be unbreakable for a player with a full stamina pool or enough stamina to CC break. I don't get the ambush with proxy det combination because even in stealth an AOE circle will be visible and indicating the attackers position. We also tried this on the PTS. I do not give NB's in general the benefit of the doubt to not take advantage of the fully charged heavy attack out of stealth to perma stun exploit, because of the fact that I have been repeatedly targeted by such an attack, which led me to experiment on the PTS to figure out what was causing this perma stun BS. #brokeasfuq
  • Skinzz
    Skinzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How to kill another night blade? It's simple. Piercing mark and then whoever spams mass hysteria the most wins. Lmao
    Anybody got a group? LFG, anybody? Hello?
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Now for classes.

Nb, use piercing mark.

That's a bad coding problem with CC breaking in general no exclusive to Nightblades
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xskinzcity wrote: »
    How to kill another night blade? It's simple. Piercing mark and then whoever spams mass hysteria the most wins. Lmao

Any Nightblade that Fear spams me dies so fast

Get feared CC break drop Mark pop Immovable and kill while laughing as they burn magic doing nothing.
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    all you have to do to kill a nightblade is spam crowd controls on them.
    they have no self heal thats going to let them survive.
  • KundaliniHero
    KundaliniHero
    ✭✭✭

A competent magika NB will/can spam purge just as fast as you can mark them.
  • tonemd
    tonemd
    ✭✭✭✭

A competent magika NB will/can spam purge just as fast as you can mark them.

Purge still costs a good amount and is buggy (takes two purges to purge mark sometimes). Think you could apply it more than they could purge it, if you can see them.
  • tennant94
    tennant94
    ✭✭✭
    Use a nb
  • LBxFinalDeath
    LBxFinalDeath
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed Sorcs are the bane of Nightblades.

Streak+Crystal frags = Dead NB.

Saw some pretty hilarious cheese involving the two, NB kept trying to go invisible and get away but the Sorcs frags tracked him regardless of dodge rolls and cloak and kept hitting til the NB died.

The NB earlier in the fight kept trying to ambush spam but the Sorc streaked when he saw the NB vanish which stunned the NB every time...so he tried to run away and thats when what I mentioned earlier happened.
    Edited by LBxFinalDeath on November 6, 2015 4:19AM
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've noticed Sorcs are the bane of Nightblades.

Streak+Crystal frags = Dead NB.

Saw some pretty hilarious cheese involving the two, NB kept trying to go invisible and get away but the Sorcs frags tracked him regardless and kept hitting til the NB died.

That's one lucky sorc you saw. Frags move way too slow, that a NB can cloak in time and make the frag completely miss