The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magicka Sorc vs. DK Flappy Wings

• spawn_to_kill
    spawn_to_kill
    ✭✭✭
    I find that, as a magicka sorcerer, I can fare pretty well against every class except Dragonknight because of Reflective Scale. Once they start flapping their wings, I know the fight is going to be a stalemate, and just start spamming encase on them to be annoying. (I usually like to play fair, but I will definitely counter cheap tactics with cheap tactics -- often relentlessly.)

I know that I can use Curse and Fury, but that will never be enough to kill them. I keep Encase, Lightning Splash, and Volcanic Rune on my Overload bar. I try to keep them rooted in Lightning Splash and use Volcanic Rune and Overload Heavy Attack to kill them, but frankly, it's still not usually enough burst.

I'm level 40 right now. I don't have bolt or mines yet, and realize they might be helpful when I get them. But until then, does anyone have advice on how I can fight DKs with flappy wings?

use lightnig flood with cure and mages wrath you shouldnt have a problem thats coming from a flappy wing dk turnt sorc
    August Palatine
    vr16, dk
    vr 16 sorc,, templar,, nb
    500+1 champion points eups4
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    use lightnig flood with cure and mages wrath you shouldnt have a problem thats coming from a flappy wing dk turnt sorc
    I don't have lightning flood, because in PvP I just find it completely useless. Curse and mages wrath, heavy attacks with lightning staff, wait for wings to go down, then knock them with reach and throw every projectile you can at them before they get up and recast wings. Repeat.
    Fought two DKs this morning and it worked pretty well. It does take a little more thought process than fighting anything else, but it's still easily accomplished.
  • spawn_to_kill
    spawn_to_kill
    ✭✭✭
    my lightning flood hit nearly nearly 2k a sec and has a chance of disintegrating low health targets also as cyrodil is a erg fest now aoe like that just helps with groups
    August Palatine
    vr16, dk
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    I don't have lightning flood, because in PvP I just find it completely useless. Curse and mages wrath, heavy attacks with lightning staff, wait for wings to go down, then knock them with reach and throw every projectile you can at them before they get up and recast wings. Repeat.
    Fought two DKs this morning and it worked pretty well. It does take a little more thought process than fighting anything else, but it's still easily accomplished.

Liquid lighting is too small for pvp indeed. Deadric Minefield is very useful though.

You can create a gap between wings so you can hit them, when I see wings flap I count to 3 and hit them with streak + cfrags combo. Because they are stunned they first have to break-free before they can re-cast wings. DKs self-healing has been reduced significantly so I find it pretty easy to beat most of them.

Also use Curse and Prox Det (+ Dawnbreaker) to increase your burst damage. If you hit them with everything at roughly the same time you usually kill them or at least put them in execute range.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Iduyenn
    Iduyenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Run! Run for your live or you will be flapped!
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    my lightning flood hit nearly nearly 2k a sec and has a chance of disintegrating low health targets also as cyrodil is a erg fest now aoe like that just helps with groups

In pvp with the 50% damage reduction or outside Cyrodiil?

In my experience liquid lighting is too small for small scale pvp, it does have it use if you run with a 12+ man group because others can activate the synergy for free dmg and resources.

PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • josh.lackey_ESO
    josh.lackey_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems like I encounter two kinds of DK's: the ones that don't use flappy wings at all, and the ones who are pros at using it. Several times I have fought DK's who actually get the flap off after I throw an instant frag. It may be that they anticipated the frag and flapped before I threw it, and the network delay made it look like they timed it mid-flight.

I was fighting with another sorc before the server came down, and mentioned he used Force Pulse because it counted as 3 projectiles. Does anyone know if that's right? I reckon I could force pulse to eat up the reflect then throw frags.

I want to add that I don't ever stand around and spam frags. I really only ever use it when it procs. Hard casting frags is just begging to be interrupted.
  • americansteel
    americansteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Winterpsy wrote: »
    On my DK, my favourite encounters are sorcerers. Stam dk, so not enought stam to use flappy wings, but shield&sword deflect magic is low cost, and always works, not to mention it's a sneaky skill, not so obvious like flappy wings. (unless you can spot the shimmer on the character mid-combat).
    So OP's problem can be extended to other tanks, since s&b can be accessed by anyone. This topped with higher than avarage spell resistance, and say you encounter a DK with chains equipped, often it ends badly for magic ranged users. (destro staffers included).

When they give me a hard time it's usually the following:

Bolt-stunning me.
    Staying behind their minefield, circling around (most tanks are usually melee)
    Soul strike (gods I hate this!!!)
    Encase
    Lightning staff heavy attacks (cant be reflected, but they wont really do much of a damage neither, but at least you wont be faceslapping yourself neither with reflected spells)
    Among the sorc skills I keep seeing in my death recap are: endless fury, overload

Avoid at all cost:
    Meteor - 9 out of 10 times I send it back
    Frags - 9 out of 10 is sent back (unless you use it on a stunned tank, or when he is not aware), and you will run out of stamina for break free, opening yourself for two handed wrecking blow wrecking.

Duels usually end with stalemate anyhow. Sorcs escaping with bolt.

Hope I could help.

magick DK

V3 nord

7 heavy

extended chains
    talons
    reflective scales
    stone fist
    defensive posture
    lava whip
    shield bash or shield assault i love using this on night blades and then hit them with talons.
    lave whip
    lava whip
    frags seem to never bother me. ill pop scales a few times in battle I have a lot of magick.

I manage to kill a few sorcs but usually ends in one of us running away due to a stalemate and a friend request sent.

I don't think I seen a mentioning of CP on this thread either which certainly does help if a sorc has a lot.

the OP should worry about ranking up first and getting his abilities unlocked before worrying about how to fight a dragon knight.
    there's a lot of competent dragonknights out there in cyrodiil and some trolling IC sewers and arena area. chances are most DKs wont forget to pop scales because in all fairness that's the most OP ability we have and probably the single most reason why DKs can survive so long in cyrodiil. I remember playing my DK on PC last year before the CP came out scales was so much better than it is now.
    I also put CP into bastion.

NO LONGER PLAYING ESO

POOR SERVER PERFORMANCE
    LAG
    LOAD SCREENS
    DONE
  • KozawahGaming
    KozawahGaming
    ✭✭✭
    On my DK, my favourite encounters are sorcerers. Stam dk, so not enought stam to use flappy wings, but shield&sword deflect magic is low cost, and always works, not to mention it's a sneaky skill, not so obvious like flappy wings. (unless you can spot the shimmer on the character mid-combat).
    So OP's problem can be extended to other tanks, since s&b can be accessed by anyone. This topped with higher than avarage spell resistance, and say you encounter a DK with chains equipped, often it ends badly for magic ranged users. (destro staffers included).

Bolt-stunning me.
    Encase
    Lightning staff heavy attacks (cant be reflected, but they wont really do much of a damage neither, but at least you wont be faceslapping yourself neither with reflected spells)
    Among the sorc skills I keep seeing in my death recap are: endless fury, overload

Avoid at all cost:
    Frags - 9 out of 10 is sent back (unless you use it on a stunned tank, or when he is not aware), and you will run out of stamina for break free, opening yourself for two handed wrecking blow wrecking.

Hope I could help.

magick DK

V3 nord

7 heavy

extended chains
    talons
    reflective scales
    stone fist
    defensive posture
    lava whip
    shield bash or shield assault i love using this on night blades and then hit them with talons.
    lave whip
    lava whip
    frags seem to never bother me. ill pop scales a few times in battle I have a lot of magick.

I manage to kill a few sorcs but usually ends in one of us running away due to a stalemate and a friend request sent.

I don't think I seen a mentioning of CP on this thread either which certainly does help if a sorc has a lot.

the OP should worry about ranking up first and getting his abilities unlocked before worrying about how to fight a dragon knight.
    there's a lot of competent dragonknights out there in cyrodiil and some trolling IC sewers and arena area. chances are most DKs wont forget to pop scales because in all fairness that's the most OP ability we have and probably the single most reason why DKs can survive so long in cyrodiil. I remember playing my DK on PC last year before the CP came out scales was so much better than it is now.

Why Nord for Magicka DK? I went High Elf, extra magicka, extra magicka recovery, and increased spell damage with my fire attacks. 5 Light 2 Heavy DW/S&S. Granted I made him a few days ago so he's only level 20 but in the non-vet pvp I can hold my own in 1v1 even a 1v2. Only bad thing for me right now is I don't have a crafted set I want. Until I get Lava whip I'm using

Firey Breath (gonna use structured Entropy)
    Inner Light
    Fire Scratches
    Talons
    Harden Armor (waiting for Scales)
    Magma Armor (for 1vX)

Inner Light
    Dragons Blood
    (Free slot use what you want boo)
    (Free slot: Prox. Det.)
    Invasion
    Preferred Ult would be Meteor

Gear I'm aiming for 4 Toruqs, 5 Seducer,
    Vet 5 NB- Gaelwen Forestmire (Vamp(cured)/Stam)
    Vet 1 Templar- Kozawah Incarnic (None/Magicka/Healer)
    Level 4 DK- Trecldur (Magicka)
  • spawn_to_kill
    spawn_to_kill
    ✭✭✭
    in cyrodil i will let u know exact figures later when i can log in its around 850 per 0.5 sec 1700.
    August Palatine
    vr16, dk
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    in cyrodil i will let u know exact figures later when i can log in its around 850 per 0.5 sec 1700.

Hrm not bad, mine (last time I checked) hit for like 500ish per .5. In Cyrodiil might as well count the .5 tick as the dps.

I do not believe the tool tip sheet reduces the numbers or not while in Cyrodiil. Would anyone know this?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • darkdruidssb14_ESO
    darkdruidssb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    Amica wrote: »
    Always wondered what would happen if a Sorc threw a frag, the DK reflected it with wings, then the sorc casted defensive posture. Would they play tennis?

Not tried it, and tried it on my dk vs another dk with a meteor with the shield reflect instead. ... was hoping to have a good rally :smiley:

Reflects are capped at 2 per projectile.

This means Fragments get reflected by the DK. Then the sorc reflects them back at the DK with posture and they will ignore the DKs wings.

Not sure if it still works, but as a Templar I used to cast Eclipse on DKs with wings up. Fun times.. then I can cast whatever and it reflects off the wings and is reflected back at them by Eclipse.. then they take the damage. Really fun if the DK is using the wings with increase damage on reflected projectiles.
  • Tallowby
    Tallowby
    ✭✭✭
    Always wondered what would happen if a Sorc threw a frag, the DK reflected it with wings, then the sorc casted defensive posture. Would they play tennis?

Not tried it, and tried it on my dk vs another dk with a meteor with the shield reflect instead. ... was hoping to have a good rally :smiley:

This means Fragments get reflected by the DK. Then the sorc reflects them back at the DK with posture and they will ignore the DKs wings.

Not if DK used flappy on first serve and S&B reflect on 3rd return....
    NEED THE HELP OF A 9 TRAIT MASTER CRAFTER ON XBOX ONE NA - ALL STYLES LIST ---> My known Styles
    Tallowby's Crafter Aid ...... CONSOLE - How to run a DPS Test

XBOX ONE NA - Guild The OTG (accepting applications)
    Arden Sul | Bosmer | Nightblade | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter |
    Tallowby | Imperial | Templar | CP160/531 | 9 Trait Master Crafter | EVERY STYLE KNOWN!
    Freya Bolt | Altmer | Sorcerer | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
    Wacko Smacko | Imperial | Dragon Knight | CP160/531 | Master Crafter |
  • KozawahGaming
    KozawahGaming
    ✭✭✭
    Tallowby wrote: »

This needs to happen, I wanna see a tennis match in ESO stat.
    Vet 5 NB- Gaelwen Forestmire (Vamp(cured)/Stam)
    Vet 1 Templar- Kozawah Incarnic (None/Magicka/Healer)
    Level 4 DK- Trecldur (Magicka)
  • darkdruidssb14_ESO
    darkdruidssb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

It shouldn't reflect a 3rd time. DK should eat it after the 2nd reflect.
  • americansteel
    americansteel
    ✭✭✭✭

Bolt-stunning me.
    Encase

Avoid at all cost:

Hope I could help.

magick DK

V3 nord

7 heavy

extended chains
    talons
    reflective scales
    stone fist
    defensive posture
    lava whip
    lave whip
    lava whip

Why Nord for Magicka DK? I went High Elf, extra magicka, extra magicka recovery, and increased spell damage with my fire attacks. 5 Light 2 Heavy DW/S&S. Granted I made him a few days ago so he's only level 20 but in the non-vet pvp I can hold my own in 1v1 even a 1v2. Only bad thing for me right now is I don't have a crafted set I want. Until I get Lava whip I'm using

Firey Breath (gonna use structured Entropy)
    Inner Light
    Fire Scratches
    Talons
    Harden Armor (waiting for Scales)
    Magma Armor (for 1vX)

Inner Light
    Dragons Blood
    (Free slot use what you want boo)
    (Free slot: Prox. Det.)
    Invasion
    Preferred Ult would be Meteor

Gear I'm aiming for 4 Toruqs, 5 Seducer,

I didn't buy imperial edition for console. but nords do have better health regen. even though I hate my passives. it still seems to do ok in PvP (mostly when im grouped up) and in PvE I hit really hard!
    NO LONGER PLAYING ESO

POOR SERVER PERFORMANCE
    LAG
    LOAD SCREENS
    DONE
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Won´t work. Projectiles will only get reflected two times.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• vaagventje17eb17_ESO
    I find that, as a magicka sorcerer, I can fare pretty well against every class except Dragonknight because of Reflective Scale. Once they start flapping their wings, I know the fight is going to be a stalemate, and just start spamming encase on them to be annoying. (I usually like to play fair, but I will definitely counter cheap tactics with cheap tactics -- often relentlessly.)

I know that I can use Curse and Fury, but that will never be enough to kill them. I keep Encase, Lightning Splash, and Volcanic Rune on my Overload bar. I try to keep them rooted in Lightning Splash and use Volcanic Rune and Overload Heavy Attack to kill them, but frankly, it's still not usually enough burst.

I'm level 40 right now. I don't have bolt or mines yet, and realize they might be helpful when I get them. But until then, does anyone have advice on how I can fight DKs with flappy wings?

@josh.lackey_eso

not gonna hand you skils, but think about this, find a skills with a low tick time ( 0.5sec per tick) drop it on them, this will eat there stamina( preferable not resflectable) in this case i suggest putting a diseace on them also, either by skill or by weapon enchant,(diseace debuffs there healing abilities, making them spent more resourches on healing, and less on attacking you) the usage of a staff that is a channel isntead of a ball is recomended also since these cant be reflected ( combine these with a diseace enchant is a nice combo, healign and lightnings staffs have this ability and are not reflectable)

2ndly, you can negate them to make there wings stop for a few sec but timing is key, find the right monent ti cripple there spell usage and finish them, using any kind of stun is advice able, as soon as they dont break out of the stun, its your que to know that they are low or out of stamina, at this point start with a overkill of non reflected attacks, remeber wings can only reflect a certain amount, and last a certain amount, keep track of how long there up, and find a opening to tos a frag in there face for high damage, oens there stuned by any means, go nuts! and if they get out of it, they have spent alot of ressourches, but keep the presure up, and dotn losen up to much. it takes practice and findign of what skils you find handy to do this with. the above called skills are usuable for this, but alot of other options are also posible, find your way, and keep thee things in mind, i hope this helps :) also study up on the other dk abilities, half the fight is knowing what to expect from your enemie :)
    Edited by vaagventje17eb17_ESO on October 28, 2015 9:57PM
  • Omgwtfbbq321
    Omgwtfbbq321
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the time I see a DragonKnight and its just 1v1 we leave each other alone. But being a full Magicka sorc, stamina attacks are where the pain comes from.

People foolishly cry about shield stacking, without realizing its not that great against stamina attacks.

Normally I will go down if they use a stamina attack to lower the Hardend Ward and then CC me with Wrecking Blow before I can recast. That's me out of the fight.

Healing ward isn't great either if they keep the pressure on.

On the other hand, if you are just throwing magic at them. They have enough time to keep applying the wards.
    My ping is higher than your resource recovery...
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just light attack four times.

Unless a magica Dk, they'll run of magics for wings fairly quick.

Curse, streak, mines, dawnbreaker in between breaking their defenses down.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    Just light attack four times.

Not good advice. Doesn't achieve anything.

Scales have 4" duration, by the time your 4th attack is fired the scales are up for renewal anyway and you just had a bunch of light attacks reflected back at you.

Only saving grace in this strategy is if you run Harness which will return more magicka than it costs and only slightly help with magicka sustain. But if the DK is running any form of DoT then that alone will trigger the magicka return from Harness to its cap of 3 per cast.

Thus light attacking is generally counter productive.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Always keeping Velocious curse up is a must, C.Frag whenever they drop their wings (and if you do cast C.Frag the instant they reflect it, block it or dodge roll), mage's wrath is your main poke. Atronach is good to maintain pressure, be easily countered by Fossilize / Petrify or simply going away, so your best pick is Dawnbreaker.

Time a burst with Proxy det, Curse, Streak, medium weave, procced C.Frag and Dawnbreaker for the finishing blow.

Never, NEVER NEVER use Meteor on a DK.
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    I flap my wings like sorc spam shields in a 1v1. Stalemate and we can both /cry and walk away.
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alcast wrote: »
    I flap my wings like sorc spam shields in a 1v1. Stalemate and we can both /cry and walk away.

this
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »

this

Depends. Magicka DK vs Magicka Sorc is an almost endless fight due to harness and scales, true.

But the OP did not specify stamina or magicka DK from what I see (correct me if I'm wrong).

A stamina DK with drinks and shield breaker is a very anti-sorc build. Sorc is forced to go offensive as his defense is nullified and it's usually a much much shorter fight.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

this

Depends. Magicka DK vs Magicka Sorc is an almost endless fight due to harness and scales, true.

But the OP did not specify stamina or magicka DK from what I see (correct me if I'm wrong).

A stamina DK with drinks and shield breaker is a very anti-sorc build. Sorc is forced to go offensive as his defense is nullified and it's usually a much much shorter fight.

You can just space and los them though. They either fight melee on your terms (in mines) or you´re gone.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Bipolo
    Bipolo
    ✭✭✭
    But until then, does anyone have advice on how I can fight DKs with flappy wings?

My advice, don't travel back in time...

/NordDKtear

Edited by Bipolo on October 29, 2015 10:39PM
    Skeggǫld, Skálmǫld, Skildir ro Klofnir
    "Nords who prove themselves in battle awaken in the realm after death. Pain and illness vanish within the Hall of Valor.
    Revelry is never-ending, mead flows freely, and the greatest Nords of all time compete in tests of strength and prowess. (...)
    Through all the suffering and adversity in this world, true Nord warriors endure, for Sovngarde awaits."

- The Road to Sovngarde
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Any DK (who isn't some crazy elite) who spams their wings as much as i spam my hardened ward is dead in front of me lol
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

this

You can just space and los them though. They either fight melee on your terms (in mines) or you´re gone.

I thought the OP was asking about duels, my bad
    EU | PC | AD