Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Power Surge

Amorpho
Amorpho
✭✭✭✭
I am strongly attracted to power surge for my magika sorc. Is it really viable? Does anyone use it in pvp? Most magika builds I see around totally ignore it...
The Gaming Rev
YouTube channel - https://youtube.com/c/TheGamingRev

Characters

PVE
Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer - Master Crafter
Magicka Templar, Altmer
Magicka Nightblade, Breton
Stamina Nightblade, Khajiit

PVP
Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
Magicka Templar, Altmer
Stamina Templar, Orsimer
Stamina Dragonknight, Dunmer
Stamina Warden, Orsimer

Aldmeri Dominion - 1700+ CP

XboxOne EU
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I love it and wreck faces with it lol. It's a sorcerer skill so not all magika builds have access to it. Most people seem to love entropy, but i don't like that it lasts half the time of surge, and you can't use it in stealth
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Amorpho wrote: »
    I am strongly attracted to power surge for my magika sorc. Is it really viable? Does anyone use it in pvp? Most magika builds I see around totally ignore it...

Define "viable".

It's primarily a spell damage buff with some RNG heals thrown in. The buff lasts longer than then other option (entropy) and it doesn't need a target, so it's better. The heals are also better than entropy over the duration even if you don't specifically build for high crit chance.

If by "viable" you mean you can run with Power Surge as your only heal, then no it's not viable. Not in PvP at least (it's viable in PvE). You'll need Healing Ward or Blessing or Restoration.... something that can offer a reliable heal and doesn't require a target.
    EU | PC | AD
  • pronkg
    pronkg
    ✭✭✭✭

People use entropy because it gives a 20% dmg boost on next attack trough mages guild passives
  • tennant94
    tennant94
    ✭✭✭
    In terms of killing people, entropy is more effective.
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    By "viable" I mean if it is a skill worth keeping on your bar in pvp. So far my build has been about sustainability and survivability. However, now that I have more experience with pvp I want to focus of damage burst. I am building up my crit chance and spell damage with different sets and skills. I personally don't like entropy very much for the reasons mentioned above. But the thing I hate the most about entropy is that it provides no visual cue for when it is up (unlike power surge, that wraps your hand in lightning). Yes, I'm on console. But what entropy offers over all is better. Yes, the heals are not great, but the 20% damage bonus and the +8% health while slotted are very good.
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    8% hp don't help you when they sit only on one bar.

Power Surge gives better heals, requires no target and lasts much longer.
    Degeneration - my preferred Entropy morph - heals less most of the time, is cheaper and grants Empower.

Surge also gives 2% spell damage while slotted vs. 2% max magicka and 2% magicka regen from Entropy.

Degeneration can heal more than Power Surge when you are spamming Overload with low crit chance (under ~40%).
    The heals stack, so it's a viable option to use both of them if you are using Overload a lot.

What I am currently doing is putting Power Surge on my Overload bar, as a very long lasting buff it usually stays up until I toggle Overload mode the next time. Frees a slot on the other bars.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »

Degeneration - my preferred Entropy morph - heals less most of the time, is cheaper and grants Empower.

Surge also gives 2% spell damage while slotted vs. 2% max magicka and 2% magicka regen from Entropy.

Degeneration can heal more than Power Surge when you are spamming Overload with low crit chance (under ~40%).
    The heals stack, so it's a viable option to use both of them if you are using Overload a lot.

What I am currently doing is putting Power Surge on my Overload bar, as a very long lasting buff it usually stays up until I toggle Overload mode the next time. Frees a slot on the other bars.

Are you saying that Degeneration counts Power Overload light attacks as weapon attacks, hence healing me for 150% of the damage I am doing 15% of the time????!!
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Are you saying that Degeneration counts Power Overload light attacks as weapon attacks, hence healing me for 150% of the damage I am doing 15% of the time????!!

Is it that much, I thought 115%. But yes.
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭

Is it that much, I thought 115%. But yes.

Yeah it's probably only 115%. But the thing is, it is only 15% of the time. I mean, this would work great with my build because I have Power Overload constantly on my 2nd bar. Power Surge would give me much more constant heals, whereas Entropy would give me a guaranteed 20% damage bonus on top of major sorcery through the might of the guild passive... I guess I'd have to try both and see which one works better with me. Do you know if there is going to be a skills reset at the launch of Orsinium?
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer