Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Kagrenacs vs Julianos

havok561
havok561
Just wondering if anyone has the spell power difference on both of these sets. I am ready to craft all VR16 gear and am thinking about going Kagrenacs hope and basically making all my gear legendary with Kuda glyphs. I am thinking about waiting but I can't find the numbers for spell power on the actual sets. Thoughts on which may be better for a sorc?
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wait. Julianos is superior, except if you mainly heal/rez.
    Edited by Leandor on October 27, 2015 4:34PM
  • Amica
    Amica
    ✭✭✭
    Kags, the way DC players got farmed yesterday, you will need the extra rez power if your DC and pvp. If not then Julian
    NB Shashu of DC
    DK William x Wallace of DC
    In game @Amica.
    "i Thought i was poor having no shoe's, Until i saw a man with no feet"
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spellcrit will be somewhat useless vs someone using hardward, harness/dampen magicka, healing ward or all of the above.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    Spellcrit will be somewhat useless vs someone using hardward, harness/dampen magicka, healing ward or all of the above.
    Considering that Julianos gives you 299 instead of 224 spell damage (an increase of 75 spell damage or 33% of kag's bonus) at the cost of one magicka regen bonus (and a health bonus) even against a shield spammer, I still think the decision is easy.
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More spell crit will also increase your heals (more crit heals).
    Watch my PvP Videos on YouTube

Azoi - Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - 1st DC NA Grand Overlord
    Hzarn - Templar - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - Grand Overlord
    ...and many more.
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »
    olsborg wrote: »
    Considering that Julianos gives you 299 instead of 224 spell damage (an increase of 75 spell damage or 33% of kag's bonus) at the cost of one magicka regen bonus (and a health bonus) even against a shield spammer, I still think the decision is easy.

I see it as an easy decision the other way, especially considering shield users in Cyrodiil. A health bonus and a magic regen bonus are well worth trading 75 spell dmg for in my opinion (unless you already have a boatload of regen), and if you're sitting at 50% crit already there's no need to fret about the lost crit bonuses. And then there's the rez bonus to consider as well.

75 spell damage is nothing to disregard, but there is minimal loss in the effectiveness of the major sorcery buff on your spell damage by going Kag's over Julianos (like 15 spell dmg, correct me if I'm wrong).
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kagrenacs is better in PvP. Crit is a nice-to-have but not a have-to-go.
    PC EU - DC only
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For a Sorc, Julianos is better. Other sets I consider are Twice-Born Star, Willow's Path and Phoenix.

Atm I plan on going for Julianos with Twice-Born being a close second.
    This is because I feel I still need the Atronach Stone. Then it's 2 spell crit (+ divines trait) + 1 max hp + 1 max stam bonus more on Twice-Born (using Thief as second) vs. the 299 spell damage on Julianos. So, technically, Twice-Born Star would appear to be the more efficient set.
    But if you go for the most efficient in the first place and ignore the low regen it can give you, you'll pick the thief mundus first, and then it's 2 spell crit + ~2.3 spell damage on Julianos vs. ~1.6 magicka regen (+ divines trait) + 1 max hp + 1 max stam. For Atronach as second that is, other stones don't interest me as much anyway.
    With 4 legendary divines pieces and not taking into account passives, that's slightly more regen on Twice-Born than spell damage on Julianos, but 2 spell crit tops 1 max hp + 1 max stam for me. To be exact, you'd have to play it through with 7 divines, wich would give another 22.5% bonus on spell crit and regen for Twice Born, while sacrificing either max magicka or all stats (prismatic) from infused traits.

Still not full decided, but I think for PvP Julianos would win.

Edit: Now that I read it again, should have made it more clear. I am valuing 299 sd over 6% spell crit + 1 max hp and stam bonus. Spell damage gets better than crit the lower sd and max magicka and the higher crit you already have. But just more stats overall you'd get with Twice-Born Star.
    Edited by ToRelax on October 27, 2015 8:36PM
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
  • havok561
    havok561
    Kagrenacs just seems more balanced. 75 spell power is a decent amount but not sure if in the end it will make a huge difference . I am an average player in pvp sometimes I perform better then other days, I guess we will see but I am leaning towards Kagrenacs hope with Molag Kena Shoulder, Torugs pact staff and head. Twice Born star has always had me curious.
    Edited by havok561 on October 27, 2015 8:37PM
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    havok561 wrote: »
    Kagrenacs just seems more balanced. 75 spell power is a decent amount but not sure if in the end it will make a huge difference . I am an average player in pvp sometimes I perform better then other days, I guess we will see but I am leaning towards Kagrenacs hope with Molag Kena Shoulder, Torugs pact staff and head. Twice Born star has always had me curious.

Let's have a quick breakdown then of 5 Julianos + 3 Willow's Path/3 Kagrenac/2 Willow's Path + 1 Molag Kena vs 5 Kagrenac + 1 Molag Kena + 2 Torug's Pact:

5 Julianos + 3 Willow's Path:
    2 spell crit + 1 max magicka + 2.3 spell damage + 1 magicka regen + 1 stamina regen

5 Julianos + 3 Kagrenac (same stats as 3 Seducer/Magnus/Eyes of Mara):
    2 spell crit + 2 max magicka + 2.3 spell damage + 1 magicka regen

5 Julianos + 1 Molag Kena + 2 Willow's Path (same stats as 2 Seducer/Eyes of Mara):
    2 spell crit + 1 max magicka + 3.3 spell damage + 1 magicka regen

5 Kagrenac + 1 Molag Kena + 2 Torug's Pact:
    1 max health + 1 max magicka + 3.7 spell damage + 1 magicka regen

Idk about you, but the Julianos setups seem more balanced to me. ;)
    What Kagrenac has going for it that Julianos doesn't, is the rez speed. If you think that'll be very useful to you, then Kagrenac is probably the better choice.

• havok561
    havok561
    @ToRelax Damn those numbers!!!!
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭
    How much are those 2 crit bonuses together? 6%?
    PC EU - DC only
  • Reeko
    Reeko
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about 5 Julianos and 2 molag kena?
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ToRelax wrote: »
    For a Sorc, Julianos is better. Other sets I consider are Twice-Born Star, Willow's Path and Phoenix.

This is because I feel I still need the Atronach Stone. Then it's 2 spell crit (+ divines trait) + 1 max hp + 1 max stam bonus more on Twice-Born (using Thief as second) vs. the 299 spell damage on Julianos. So, technically, Twice-Born Star would appear to be the more efficient set.
    But if you go for the most efficient in the first place and ignore the low regen it can give you, you'll pick the thief mundus first, and then it's 2 spell crit + ~2.3 spell damage on Julianos vs. ~1.6 magicka regen (+ divines trait) + 1 max hp + 1 max stam. For Atronach as second that is, other stones don't interest me as much anyway.
    With 4 legendary divines pieces and not taking into account passives, that's slightly more regen on Twice-Born than spell damage on Julianos, but 2 spell crit tops 1 max hp + 1 max stam for me. To be exact, you'd have to play it through with 7 divines, wich would give another 22.5% bonus on spell crit and regen for Twice Born, while sacrificing either max magicka or all stats (prismatic) from infused traits.

Edit: Now that I read it again, should have made it more clear. I am valuing 299 sd over 6% spell crit + 1 max hp and stam bonus. Spell damage gets better than crit the lower sd and max magicka and the higher crit you already have. But just more stats overall you'd get with Twice-Born Star.

For pvp i´d go twiceborn all the way IF i´d have access to a molag kena divine shoulder piece. Sadly i have not so julianos is the more appealing option.
    Also the new bufffood/drink combinations make pure dmg sets more appealing.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• Tankqull
    Tankqull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's have a quick breakdown then of 5 Julianos + 3 Willow's Path/3 Kagrenac/2 Willow's Path + 1 Molag Kena vs 5 Kagrenac + 1 Molag Kena + 2 Torug's Pact:

2 spell crit + 1 max magicka + 2.3 spell damage + 1 magicka regen + 1 stamina regen

5 Julianos + 1 Molag Kena + 2 Willow's Path (same stats as 2 Seducer/Eyes of Mara):

What Kagrenac has going for it that Julianos doesn't, is the rez speed. If you think that'll be very useful to you, then Kagrenac is probably the better choice.

what about
    5 kagnacs+ 1 molag kena+ 1bloodspawn + mealstromweapon (s) ?
    spelling and grammar errors are free to be abused

Sallington wrote: »
    Anything useful that players are wanting added into the game all fall under the category of "Yer ruinin my 'mersion!"

• Ishammael
    Ishammael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Derra wrote: »

For pvp i´d go twiceborn all the way IF i´d have access to a molag kena divine shoulder piece. Sadly i have not so julianos is the more appealing option.

The gold drink/food thingy requires perfect roe! Ouch!

Also, Thief + Shadow for TBS setup?
  • Islyn
    Islyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I'll make julianos a piece at a time, but not gonna rush over it - I just got back and got this gear :P
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ishammael wrote: »

It´s not going to be optimal for every build and will last for 2hours 20mins. Think perfect roe is fine here. If the endresult is something like ~5000g per serve.
    It´s only useful for certain pvp builds anyway.
    <Noricum>

• ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tankqull wrote: »

what about
    5 kagnacs+ 1 molag kena+ 1bloodspawn + mealstromweapon (s) ?

Well 1 Molag Kena + 1 Bloodspawn + Mealstrom staff isn't bad if you can get the right traits and do without the spell resist from nirnhoned. The spell damage buff on Mealstrom weapons is 1.5 spell damage bonuses, at the cost of the nirnhoned trait and a regular enchantment. Doesn't really change wether to go for Julianos or Kagrenac though unless you really need that regen bonus.
    ChefZero wrote: »
    How much are those 2 crit bonuses together? 6%?

Yes, I think so.
    Reeko wrote: »
    What about 5 Julianos and 2 molag kena?

I don't think 2 Molag Kena is good for PvP. This setup also has no regen, so it'l drain your resources super fast. But if you want to stack as much spell damage as possible for a short burst and ignore the cost, this wouldn't be bad.
    However, Shadow + Thief with Twice-Born Star is better for dps in PvE I think, so if you'd otherwise go for thief as 1st mundus, this will have higher potential and be less reliable (because you lose the 2 crit bonuses + sd on Julianos).
    Ishammael wrote: »

Well you need to get your regen *somewhere*... :sunglasses:

• Erondil
    Erondil
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't see a point going willow's path with new gold food/drink. Gold food+ 5 kagrenac or 5 julianos will be better for both regen and damages, the only think you give up is a bit of magicka so a little bit of shield strength.
    However about julianos vs kagrenac's I'm not so sure julianos is better (well for my nb at least I will go kag) if you can use maelstrom weapons or if you want to use dw : basically with julianos+bs+kena+maelstrom (or 2 thorug) you will have to use 1 more mag regen glyph so at the end you trade 72 magicka regen and 6% crit for 1.3k hp, 90 (more if you use maelstrom) spell dmg and speed rezz compared to kagrenac's hope.
    You can also go 5 julianos 3 seducer 1 kena if you use dw, but then you loose 180 stam regen, 1.3k hp, 38 sd for 6% crit and 1.3k magicka compared to 5 kag's 1 kena 1 bloodspawn 2 thorug's.
    I rather go stam regen on nb, not sure for sorc though.
    Edited by Erondil on October 28, 2015 1:40PM
    ~retired~
    EU server, former Zerg Squad and Banana Squad officer
    Dennegor NB AD, AvA 50 Grand Overlord 24/05/2016
    rekt you NB AD, AvA 32
    Erondil Sorc AD, AvA 23
    Denne the Banana Slayer NB EP, AvA 14
    Darth Dennegor lv50 Stamina NB DC, AvA 19
    Youtube Channel
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Decision is kinda easy. Kagrenac only usefull in pvp for ressing; spell damage is just small bonus to make set less pathetic. If you are not pvp templar, kagrenac is not for you.
  • havok561
    havok561
    Should I change the thread to Julianos vs Twice Born Star? TBS is something else I am debating but I would need to farm the crap out of WGT to combo it with the overwhelming pieces.
  • KostasDragonborn
    Should I change the thread to Julianos vs Twice Born Star? TBS is something else I am debating but I would need to farm the crap out of WGT to combo it with the overwhelming pieces.

There was already a whole 3 page thread on this topic. These guys crunched the numbers and tested in game. TL;DR TBS does not outperform Julianos in the Orsinium update.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/224111/julianos-and-twice-born-star/p1
    - Walk with virtue, friend.
  • Cryhavoc
    Cryhavoc
    ✭✭✭
    Without repeating the math:

In PVP, a Templar healer who is in a support role will probably be better off running 5 pc Kagrenac over Julianos or Twice born (this is my conclusion any way).

I will run 5 pc Kagrenac plus 4 pc Julianos (dual swords) in PVP, with 3 pc Willpower jewelry. This is to max out healing and support potential, without sacrificing too much DPS or soloability.

I do not have the patience to farm Undaunted....
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭
    6% crit seems weak compared to 1x magickareg and 1x max health..
    PC EU - DC only
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There was already a whole 3 page thread on this topic. These guys crunched the numbers and tested in game. TL;DR TBS does not outperform Julianos in the Orsinium update.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/224111/julianos-and-twice-born-star/p1

This.

Also, remember, templars have a passive that adds to crit dmg. Take that into accord for each set.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ChefZero wrote: »
    6% crit seems weak compared to 1x magickareg and 1x max health..

The more max magicka, spell damage and crit damage you have, the better crit chance becomes. And the less crit chance you have, the better crit chance becomes.
    For PvP, crit chance is good for someone using HoTs (making the bonus to healing reliable) and burst damage (higher burst potential). For a Sorcerer using Surge, it is especially useful.

Think about how much 129 spell damage really increase your damage and healing. Maybe a 1-2% increase in damage?

I would like to have magicka regen in place of the crit chance, but certainly not max health.

• Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that topic does state tbs has an ever so slight advantage over julianos dmg wise.

For pvp i´d go with tbs simply bc i value 1x health 1x stam more than 2x crit as setbonuses.
    <Noricum>

• ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Well that topic does state tbs has an ever so slight advantage over julianos dmg wise.

For pvp i´d go with tbs simply bc i value 1x health 1x stam more than 2x crit as setbonuses.

I disagree for now. >_>
    Edited by ToRelax on October 28, 2015 5:58PM

• KostasDragonborn

check the end results of the thread, the OP concludes:

"There are significant changes due to to the change in Elfborn. If you are thinking about making Twice-Born, don't."

- Walk with virtue, friend.