Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magicka Dragonknight - Need Advice

• RoamingRiverElk
    RoamingRiverElk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing to consider is how much of the time you are using a damage shield - igneous, harness magicka, healing ward / ward ally - because as far as I know, attacks won't crit for the part that the damage shield mitigates, and the damage shield part of the mitigation does not benefit from armor or spell resistance.

Magicka DKs seem to really need *everything* if possible, magicka, health, stamina, magicka regen and stamina regen, and it would help if one could block.

Personally I like light armor more because I use magicka skills a lot, so I need it for the sustain. On that kind of a setup, I wouldn't go less than 25k max health in Cyrodiil, 27k would be even better. (5 light, 1 med, 1 heavy for the Undaunted passive. I use food unless I'm tanking)

Inner light takes up valuable spots, personally I would rather use Dragon Fire Scale and something else.

My bars for small group play in the Imperial City are something like:
    Wings - Igneous Shield - Burning Talons - Flame Lash - Draw Essence - Clouding Swarm
    Elusive Mist - Healing Ward - Blessing of Restoration - Proximity Detonation - Cinder Storm / Coagulating Blood / Extended Chains / Fossilize / Harness Magicka / Something - Shifting Standard . I do like Shooting Star and Ferocious Leap too and use them sometimes.

Unbreakable CC is unbreakable CC - even as a sorc with a shield up you can then die to a burst if you can't break free. There's that new Tel Var stone armor that reduces damage taken while CC'd, but I'm not sure it would be worth it to use that, sacrificing some other set for it.

I use dual wield for the extra spell damage and armor slot. If you have enough health, you could look into speccing into healing initiated / received through CP and sets, but magicka DKs definitely benefit from high CP - 350+ or more. If you solo then I imagine you do need a lot of spell damage / max magicka to be able to finish them off. That then does come with the cost of survivability / sustain, I don't really think there's a way around it. Magicka DKs then being the most vulnerable to very heavy hitting stamina builds. I think the Healer set (only comes as v13/v14 :/ ), Willow's Path and Twice-Born Star can be good sets to consider if you don't want to go for spell dmg. Most magicka DKs do seem to want to go for high spell dmg though. ^^

Thank you for the feedback and lessons learned.

I dropped vamp for less vulnerability to fire damage and picked up Sword and board for more physical resistance, damage mitigation through blocking, and overall survival. The down side is that I lost mana regeneration by dropping vamp, bat swarm, and stalker. Now I sneak like a turtle, I mean quite honestly how does anyone walk around in stealth at a snails pace like that?

I tried to run sword and shield on both bars but igneous shield and spamming dragon blood was depleting my mana and I couldn't sustain it. Now, I will try sword and shield for the attack bar only, and resto healing on the other bar. I also lost 236 base spell damage by slotting sword and shield instead of 2H. I need to play more to see if all of these negatives are going to make up for all of these set backs. If I want to gain some mana regen to get back up in the 1600 range (bare minimum IMO), I will have to sacrifice 129 spell damage if I switch out torugs for say Magnus set (super expensive to craft 3 piece legendary v16/enchants/etc), or just switch out 1 SD glyph on a ring and lose 174 SD (cheaper adjustment).

My recovery values are completely shot M1496 H349 S519. I will need to play more in my usual small group to ascertain if I can be useful by surviving a bit more, doing pathetic damage, and running out of steam. If not, I will just go back to hitting like a DK should be able to (without having to be made of paper), and being squishy as @#$%.

The regens, invisibats, mistform and the sneak speed are all reasons for me to be a vampire. I keep up with the sorcs in the group with mistform, and it gives survivability when I play with others. When not marked, invisibats are great for also giving a bit of time to breathe since they can't attack me with single-target skills then.

Yeah igneous + dragon blood on their own probably aren't good enough. Need to really spec into healing / healing received to make use of dragon blood, and still, blessing of restoration kind of beats it, unless you're in really low health. But the 8% more healing received passive from having coagulating blood active is great if you have the space for it on the skill bar somewhere...

I've opted for dual wield myself because I do need some spell damage. Blocking builds are just really hard to do and these days I often face so many enemies I can't selectively block (so basically I would only block when I had full stamina, for a bit, or if I really really really needed to block in order to not die), so I rather just use that stamina for roll dodging and CC breaks. And those emergency blocking situations. But in very small fights, if you have lots of spell damage anyway, I see the shield as a more viable option. Or if you like to use shield charge or reverberating bash, but those are stamina skills and use tons of stamina. x) If I slotted shield charge, I'd use it extremely selectively. : D

Yeah, the current crafting system makes it really difficult to experiment properly. I'd just craft a v14 set and use purple materials to test. It's not exactly the same, but at least you get a basic idea of whether something works.

I need at least about 1500 magicka regen on my DK (with 3 spell cost reduction glyphs and 8.7% magicka cost reduction from CP), but the only cheap skill I really have, pretty much, is flame lash, but that's definitely not the only skill I use so... ^^

To me it kind of feels like it's best to at least do some damage when playing in a small group (like having at least 1650 spell dmg and 30k max magicka) than trying to be a little tankier as a *magicka* DK. You could also maybe try the Phoenix set, that does give some extra protection - but of course doesn't work if you really get focused and no one distracts them while you're in stone form. Or you could try to do a really tanky build with practically no damage, but in that case I kind of keep thinking that a hybrid or a stamina build would be better then anyway... x)

That's a really low value for stamina regen you have there, that may turn out to be a problem. But it depends on what your style of play is and how your group does things. If you have a good templar in the group, that already balances your low stamina regen a bit since you may not die immediately if you go out of stamina and get CC'd.
    Edited by RoamingRiverElk on October 27, 2015 11:49PM
    Dalris Aalr - Magicka (Stamina) DK | Dalfish - Magicka Sorc | Dal Aalr - Magicka Warden | Dalrish - Mag/Stam NB | Irana Aalr - PvE Templar
  • Vanzen
    Vanzen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi there !
    Your problem and many mag Dk's as well is the lack of cp.
    With 400 you can get enough in healing and regen to :
    1: benefit from igneous + Coagulating and get decent heal
    2: have enough regen to wear 5 heavy and have decent block while maintening enough spell power with the combo
    Kagrenac/magnus/ will power.
    As you know, I use 1h/S on both bar and can be quite tanky and still do enough dammage.

Its not that DK are in such bad place, its they need more cp than other classes to be on par. My 2 cents.

ps: I couldnt not go w/o vamp. not enough regen and stealth speed is a must.
    Edited by Vanzen on October 28, 2015 12:10AM
  • KostasDragonborn
    One thing to consider is how much of the time you are using a damage shield - igneous, harness magicka, healing ward / ward ally - because as far as I know, attacks won't crit for the part that the damage shield mitigates, and the damage shield part of the mitigation does not benefit from armor or spell resistance.

Magicka DKs seem to really need *everything* if possible, magicka, health, stamina, magicka regen and stamina regen, and it would help if one could block.

Personally I like light armor more because I use magicka skills a lot, so I need it for the sustain. On that kind of a setup, I wouldn't go less than 25k max health in Cyrodiil, 27k would be even better. (5 light, 1 med, 1 heavy for the Undaunted passive. I use food unless I'm tanking)

Inner light takes up valuable spots, personally I would rather use Dragon Fire Scale and something else.

Wings - Igneous Shield - Burning Talons - Flame Lash - Draw Essence - Clouding Swarm
    Elusive Mist - Healing Ward - Blessing of Restoration - Proximity Detonation - Cinder Storm / Coagulating Blood / Extended Chains / Fossilize / Harness Magicka / Something - Shifting Standard . I do like Shooting Star and Ferocious Leap too and use them sometimes.

Unbreakable CC is unbreakable CC - even as a sorc with a shield up you can then die to a burst if you can't break free. There's that new Tel Var stone armor that reduces damage taken while CC'd, but I'm not sure it would be worth it to use that, sacrificing some other set for it.

I use dual wield for the extra spell damage and armor slot. If you have enough health, you could look into speccing into healing initiated / received through CP and sets, but magicka DKs definitely benefit from high CP - 350+ or more. If you solo then I imagine you do need a lot of spell damage / max magicka to be able to finish them off. That then does come with the cost of survivability / sustain, I don't really think there's a way around it. Magicka DKs then being the most vulnerable to very heavy hitting stamina builds. I think the Healer set (only comes as v13/v14 :/ ), Willow's Path and Twice-Born Star can be good sets to consider if you don't want to go for spell dmg. Most magicka DKs do seem to want to go for high spell dmg though. ^^

I dropped vamp for less vulnerability to fire damage and picked up Sword and board for more physical resistance, damage mitigation through blocking, and overall survival. The down side is that I lost mana regeneration by dropping vamp, bat swarm, and stalker. Now I sneak like a turtle, I mean quite honestly how does anyone walk around in stealth at a snails pace like that?

I tried to run sword and shield on both bars but igneous shield and spamming dragon blood was depleting my mana and I couldn't sustain it. Now, I will try sword and shield for the attack bar only, and resto healing on the other bar. I also lost 236 base spell damage by slotting sword and shield instead of 2H. I need to play more to see if all of these negatives are going to make up for all of these set backs. If I want to gain some mana regen to get back up in the 1600 range (bare minimum IMO), I will have to sacrifice 129 spell damage if I switch out torugs for say Magnus set (super expensive to craft 3 piece legendary v16/enchants/etc), or just switch out 1 SD glyph on a ring and lose 174 SD (cheaper adjustment).

My recovery values are completely shot M1496 H349 S519. I will need to play more in my usual small group to ascertain if I can be useful by surviving a bit more, doing pathetic damage, and running out of steam. If not, I will just go back to hitting like a DK should be able to (without having to be made of paper), and being squishy as @#$%.

The regens, invisibats, mistform and the sneak speed are all reasons for me to be a vampire. I keep up with the sorcs in the group with mistform, and it gives survivability when I play with others. When not marked, invisibats are great for also giving a bit of time to breathe since they can't attack me with single-target skills then.

Yeah igneous + dragon blood on their own probably aren't good enough. Need to really spec into healing / healing received to make use of dragon blood, and still, blessing of restoration kind of beats it, unless you're in really low health. But the 8% more healing received passive from having coagulating blood active is great if you have the space for it on the skill bar somewhere...

I've opted for dual wield myself because I do need some spell damage. Blocking builds are just really hard to do and these days I often face so many enemies I can't selectively block (so basically I would only block when I had full stamina, for a bit, or if I really really really needed to block in order to not die), so I rather just use that stamina for roll dodging and CC breaks. And those emergency blocking situations. But in very small fights, if you have lots of spell damage anyway, I see the shield as a more viable option. Or if you like to use shield charge or reverberating bash, but those are stamina skills and use tons of stamina. x) If I slotted shield charge, I'd use it extremely selectively. : D

Yeah, the current crafting system makes it really difficult to experiment properly. I'd just craft a v14 set and use purple materials to test. It's not exactly the same, but at least you get a basic idea of whether something works.

I need at least about 1500 magicka regen on my DK (with 3 spell cost reduction glyphs and 8.7% magicka cost reduction from CP), but the only cheap skill I really have, pretty much, is flame lash, but that's definitely not the only skill I use so... ^^

To me it kind of feels like it's best to at least do some damage when playing in a small group (like having at least 1650 spell dmg and 30k max magicka) than trying to be a little tankier as a *magicka* DK. You could also maybe try the Phoenix set, that does give some extra protection - but of course doesn't work if you really get focused and no one distracts them while you're in stone form. Or you could try to do a really tanky build with practically no damage, but in that case I kind of keep thinking that a hybrid or a stamina build would be better then anyway... x)

That's a really low value for stamina regen you have there, that may turn out to be a problem. But it depends on what your style of play is and how your group does things. If you have a good templar in the group, that already balances your low stamina regen a bit since you may not die immediately if you go out of stamina and get CC'd.

I got used to having nearly 2600 Spell Damage, I could try Dual Wield, but I'd lose a gap closer. Chains are unpredictable, as is dragon leap, I had it bug out on me 3 times tonight. Which shield were you referring to?
    - Walk with virtue, friend.
  • KostasDragonborn
    Vanzen wrote: »
    Hi there !
    Your problem and many mag Dk's as well is the lack of cp.
    With 400 you can get enough in healing and regen to :
    1: benefit from igneous + Coagulating and get decent heal
    2: have enough regen to wear 5 heavy and have decent block while maintening enough spell power with the combo
    Kagrenac/magnus/ will power.
    As you know, I use 1h/S on both bar and can be quite tanky and still do enough dammage.

Its not that DK are in such bad place, its they need more cp than other classes to be on par. My 2 cents.

ps: I couldnt not go w/o vamp. not enough regen and stealth speed is a must.

Hi Vanz, looks like I will have to CP grind after the update.
  • RoamingRiverElk
    RoamingRiverElk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I got used to having nearly 2600 Spell Damage, I could try Dual Wield, but I'd lose a gap closer. Chains are unpredictable, as is dragon leap, I had it bug out on me 3 times tonight. Which shield were you referring to?

I was referring to using one-handed and shield. The reason why I think it's a good choice in smaller fights is because if your build is done with that in mind, you gain more protection against melee stamina attacks - costs less stamina to block and blocks more damage. In small fights you can actually see what the enemy or enemies are doing and block selectively. On the other hand in bigger fights, blocking selectively in response to the attacks of the enemies gets progressively more difficult (since you can't see all the enemies and what they are doing), which then means that you use stamina unnecessarily, blocking many light attacks if people are light attack weaving, etc. Roll dodge on the other hand uses a static amount of stamina and gives that dodge benefit against an unlimited number of attackers and frees you from roots. So that was my line of thinking there.
    Dalris Aalr - Magicka (Stamina) DK | Dalfish - Magicka Sorc | Dal Aalr - Magicka Warden | Dalrish - Mag/Stam NB | Irana Aalr - PvE Templar
  • jbcrocks
    jbcrocks
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you need the inner light from your bar as @RoamingRiverElk said. You should definitely put scales and mist form instead of double bats so you can slot a banner to buy some time or ferocious leap or take flight for a finisher. S/b and resto seems like the way to go for a magicka dk and with enough cp's, you can put points into blessed and quick recovery to get more heals. 27 points into blessed makes a lot of difference for heals too.

Since you're already running s/b, don't block too much and be sure to always be on the offensive while building up your stam. Put points too in cc breaking/dodge roll so that it wont cost that much.
    jbcrocks [EP] - Dunmer DK - Vamp since launch - AvA 37
    Chaboyyyhd [EP]- Altmer Sorcerer - AvA 9
    Jb Shadowcloak [EP] - Imperial Nightblade AvA 9
    Commander Soviets [AD] - Bosmer Nightnlade AvA 5

• KostasDragonborn
    jbcrocks wrote: »
    I don't think you need the inner light from your bar as @RoamingRiverElk said. You should definitely put scales and mist form instead of double bats so you can slot a banner to buy some time or ferocious leap or take flight for a finisher. S/b and resto seems like the way to go for a magicka dk and with enough cp's, you can put points into blessed and quick recovery to get more heals. 27 points into blessed makes a lot of difference for heals too.

Since you're already running s/b, don't block too much and be sure to always be on the offensive while building up your stam. Put points too in cc breaking/dodge roll so that it wont cost that much.

Thanks for the tips. I have played those variations, and I agree that using mist form is useful. As far as the other ultimates, I don't see them being as useful as bat swarm. Bat swarm moves with your character, so it's hard to evade for some players and especially in tight sewer fights, and I use it constantly as an effective finisher. It's not a one hit finisher, but coupled with any other damage output and you can finish most opponents. In very long 1v1 situations I have had to time proximity det, batswarm, and dishing out flame lash to finish a tanky opponent.

Standard of Might - great for PVE, great for fighting in a sewer corridor, but most people are wise enough to roll out of your standard. Then the fight moves away from my standard, and I'm standing there in my own standard with no one to fight. I have never used the movable standard morph, I need to try it.

Take Flight - A very fun ultimate, but buggy as extended chains. I've had take flight kill me with fall damage. I've had take flight do no animation, maybe just a wing flap, take no fight, and do no damage. Take flight has done a lot of weird things in PVP to the point that I don't trust it anymore. Although, when used properly it is a nice finisher, and it's nice for breaking up a group.

If I stay on Sword and Board I'm sacrificing 236 spell damage for not using Dual Wield or 2H. I'm going to keep playing it for a few days, I had just gotten used to seeing high damage values on my tooltips for my offensive skills. I think the highest flame lash I've seen was 18k power lash (on an NPC). If I respec for more damage output I'll post the tool tip value screenshots here.

If I keep getting killed by nightblades within 1 second, without being able to CC break or dodge (with FULL stamina), I'm going in a cave and grinding and not coming out until I reach the 501 cap.
    Edited by KostasDragonborn on October 28, 2015 9:55AM
  • KostasDragonborn

can you post your build, what gear you are wearing and your stats? Screen shots would be nice similar to the ones I posted in the OP.

It would be great to see peoples stats with their posts (gear, skills, character stats, and # of CP).

Thanks for your reply!
  • Stoney_McGeee
    Stoney_McGeee
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't tried the Elf set, but I'm debating to try a heavy set build BUT I love the light armor way to much to pass it up.

right now my stats are 37k magic, 22k Hp, only 1k magic regen, and 2,650 SD (unbuffed, Buffed 3150SD)

Ive been switching up my gear around trying out different things, but right now Im rolling with
    5 Hope, 2 engineer , 2 torgat and 3 will power.
    i had a problem with maintaining my resources for awhile, but replacing that 124SD for the Engineer was well worth it. IMO

Im most likely going to replace hope next patch.

weapons

i use S&B and a destro if I'm with a group but if I'm solo i use a restro..

i feel that S&B is useful because the gap closer as well as using your flame lash off the bat from the knockdown from invasion, but in PvE i use DW. (no need for a gap closer then)

Skills
    1st bar- invasion, talons, reflection, drain essence, and whip and standard

2nd bar- Eruption, Entropy , Inhale, Impulse, mist and cloudy OR with restro replace impulse with rapid heal or protection..

key to a magic dk i think IMO is stacking your attacks.. and don't expect a one button play style..

entropy -> invasion -> talons -> banner -> eruption -> inhale-> impulse-> inhale -> impulse (something like that)
    (Soulless Knights)
    AD Stoneey DK (Vr16) homeless
    AD StoneyHeals Templar (Vr16) homeless
    AD Stoknee NB (v1) Training
    AD Psychosis Sorc (37) Training
  • KostasDragonborn
    I haven't tried the Elf set, but I'm debating to try a heavy set build BUT I love the light armor way to much to pass it up.

right now my stats are 37k magic, 22k Hp, only 1k magic regen, and 2,650 SD (unbuffed, Buffed 3150SD)

Ive been switching up my gear around trying out different things, but right now Im rolling with
    i had a problem with maintaining my resources for awhile, but replacing that 124SD for the Engineer was well worth it. IMO

weapons

i feel that S&B is useful because the gap closer as well as using your flame lash off the bat from the knockdown from invasion, but in PvE i use DW. (no need for a gap closer then)

Skills

2nd bar- Eruption, Entropy , Inhale, Impulse, mist and cloudy OR with restro replace impulse with rapid heal or protection..

key to a magic dk i think IMO is stacking your attacks.. and don't expect a one button play style..

entropy -> invasion -> talons -> banner -> eruption -> inhale-> impulse-> inhale -> impulse (something like that)

Thanks for posting your build. I have a couple of questions.

1. "Engineer" is the Engine Guardian set?
    2. How are you reaching 2650 SD, Mundus stone Apprentice, and all 3 jewelry have spell damage enchants?
    3. How do you PVP with only 1k mana regen, regen drinks? I used to play with Engine Guardian, but it's not a reliable source of magick when it rotates S/H/M.
    4. 37000M 22000H ?????S are these numbers with food or without?
    5. How much CP do you have?

I can reach 3k SD going all in with SD jewelry enchants and mundus, and with entropy or spell power pots it's 3200 or 3500. But, it's not a viable option in PVP because we lose sustainability. This is where the disparity between Stamina based physical damage and Magicka based Spell damage exists. You've got stam builds that can play with 4.5k Physical Damage, where a magicka DK cannot even sustain 3.5k Spell Damage and are forced to go below or around 2.5k SD. WTF ZOS?
    Edited by KostasDragonborn on October 28, 2015 2:19PM
  • Stoney_McGeee
    Stoney_McGeee
    ✭✭✭

weapons

Skills

Thanks for posting your build. I have a couple of questions.

1. "Engineer" is the Engine Guardian set?
    2. How are you reaching 2650 SD, Mundus stone Apprentice, and all 3 jewelry have spell damage enchants?
    3. How do you PVP with only 1k mana regen, regen drinks? I used to play with Engine Guardian, but it's not a reliable source of magick when it rotates S/H/M.
    4. 37000M 22000H ?????S are these numbers with food or without?
    5. How much CP do you have?

I can reach 3k SD going all in with SD jewelry enchants and mundus, and with entropy or spell power pots it's 3200 or 3500. But, it's not a viable option in PVP because we lose sustainability. This is where the disparity between Stamina based physical damage and Magicka based Spell damage exists. You've got stam builds that can play with 4.5k Physical Damage, where a magicka DK cannot even sustain 3.5k Spell Damage and are forced to go below or around 2.5k SD. WTF ZOS?

1. Yes engine guardian .
    2. 2. Yea spell echancts and mundus stone apprentice
    3. I use the potions , and the engine keeps me pretty sustained actually, I had my doubts at first because of the s/m/h but but one way I look at it now is that no matter what it lands on during a battle it will be useful.. I thought Stam wouldn't be useful but I realized it helps me breakfree or dodge roll or just sprint.. And health because I'm a vampire and the -HP recovery it's actually nice to see that stream of Red. And when you see blue it's just game time. I don't see myself using anything else. It helps a lot. Plus us being a DK we get that resource bonus after utlis.
    4. That's with food and I don't use tri food.. Max means more dmg. When the next DLC comes out I believe they will have max and recovery foods or potions or I guess you can say smoothies which if they do, that will be helllla nice.
    5. Only 200, which I'm also experimenting with the placement on that.

Yea I agree, I was at 2970 SD unbuffed but I realized it wasn't really worth it because we do lose sustainability. But all though everyone is jumping to stam, I just can't help to enjoy the magic feel to it, it's not one of those easy play styles, constantly flipping bars and switching up combos and studying the enemy is way more fun then button smashing one skill. (Don't get me wrong we do have to use whip a extra times but that alone won't just kill them) we should get some love sometime soon, I think or hope haha
    (Soulless Knights)
    AD Stoneey DK (Vr16) homeless
    AD StoneyHeals Templar (Vr16) homeless
    AD Stoknee NB (v1) Training
    AD Psychosis Sorc (37) Training
  • Springt-Über-Zwerge
    Springt-Über-Zwerge
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would drop inner light for 2 extra skills so you can always use scales it will prevent you from being killed from range easily which forces people to get near you and thats where you want them as dk because you dont have ranged abilities. Id also recommend ignious shield which will increse your healing by 30% this way you could use combat prayer instead of blessing of restoration have a 8% damage increase and still a decent heal.
    For your tankyness you should think about 5x elfbane which is a heavy armor pvp set with 2x spellpower set bonus and a 2 sec increase to your flamebased abilities. This set is made for magicka dks.
    PC,EU, EP
    Der-über-Zwerge-springt (Argonian, Magplar), Surtur Velothi (Dunmer, Magdk), Jaqene H'ghar (Imperial, Stamblade), Puppyslayer (Orc, Stamdk), Dagoth Era (Dunmer, Magblade), Æthmon Trevas (Altmer, Magsorc), Der-Zuletzt-Lacht (Argonian, Magden), Sir-Lanzeflott (Redguard, Stamplar)
  • KostasDragonborn
    I would drop inner light for 2 extra skills so you can always use scales it will prevent you from being killed from range easily which forces people to get near you and thats where you want them as dk because you dont have ranged abilities. Id also recommend ignious shield which will increse your healing by 30% this way you could use combat prayer instead of blessing of restoration have a 8% damage increase and still a decent heal.
    For your tankyness you should think about 5x elfbane which is a heavy armor pvp set with 2x spellpower set bonus and a 2 sec increase to your flamebased abilities. This set is made for magicka dks.

Thank you for you input!

My main issue right now are Nightblades attacking from stealth, camo hunter, surprise attack, 1 second kills. I am going to morph Inner Light (IL) to Radiant Mage Light (RLM) to counter them.

"The mote also reveals hidden or invisible enemies, prevents being stunned by stealth attacks, and reduces damage from stealth attacks by 50% for you and nearby allies."

Personally, I find a shield like Harness Magicka or Healing Ward outperforms scales. Reflecting a Meteor is nice, one of my favorite things to do, however I don't have a problem eating a Meteor, fighting sorcs, or ranged attackers. I can gap close on them, stun them, dodge their ranged attacks, etc. My opinions are situational to Imperial City district and sewer fights. Once I go back up in Cyrodil I may change my build, start using scales more, and/or lose RLM/IL

I'm going to get my vamp back once this maintenance is over, slot RLM on both bars, continue Sword and Shield + Resto, and keep running 2H5L for the time being. Most likely though, I'll switch back to 2H + Resto because I love the extra damage, and I love the Stampede gap closer. I find the stun and knock down from Invasion to be too soon to execute a stun. The snare from Stampede reducing the enemy's movement speed by 60% and hitting them with damage allows me to apply a DOT, talons them to keep them in place, if they dodge out of it they waste stamina, I can follow up with fossilize, if they want to breakfree they use more stamina. If they run I gap close and keep flame lashing. Having less spell damage makes the below rotation less effective.

My rotation with 2H & Resto for 1v1:

Proximity Det - Hardened Armor - Stampede - Burning Embers - Talons - Fossilize - Flame Lash (this is to start a fight if I get the drop on an opponent, after that it's situational, if the opponent isn't going to die or evaded me somehow, if I'm able to prox det, bat swarm, and flame lash simultaneously it's game over).

For 1vx this rotation varies and includes Draw Essence.

For IC group play I like to use more AOE such as Draw Essence, Cinder Storm, Caltrops.
  • Vanzen
    Vanzen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1 Deep breath
    2 whip
    3 talon
    4 igneous
    5 Gdb
    Swarm

1 invasion
    2 burning embers
    3 Stone fist
    4 Hardened armor/Cinder storm
    5 mist
    Leap

Depending I swap Deep breath and Armor/Cinder for Magelight or Sea of flame or Entropy. You might notice in my above set up that I have many skills that heal and damage at the same time. Coupled with 1/s on both bar and blocking, thats what gives me good survivibility along not so bad dammage .
    And on both bar I have a "return stam" skill that I spam. Igneous/Stone fist.
    Finaly when I am realy fed up with NB. I put Reactivex5 ( 5 pieces divine for Mag regen Mundus stone I ve sloted with v 16 Mag enchants ...)Magnusx4 Will powerx3, slot magelight and then only the best NB can do anything to me.
    Edited by Vanzen on October 28, 2015 6:12PM
  • KostasDragonborn
    Vanzen wrote: »
    1 Deep breath
    2 whip
    3 talon
    4 igneous
    5 Gdb
    Swarm

1 invasion
    2 burning embers
    3 Stone fist
    4 Hardened armor/Cinder storm
    5 mist
    Leap

Depending I swap Deep breath and Armor/Cinder for Magelight or Sea of flame or Entropy. You might notice in my above set up that I have many skills that heal and damage at the same time. Coupled with 1/s on both bar and blocking, thats what gives me good survivibility along not so bad dammage .
    And on both bar I have a "return stam" skill that I spam. Igneous/Stone fist.
    Finaly when I am realy fed up with NB. I put Reactivex5 ( 5 pieces divine for Mag regen Mundus stone I ve sloted with v 16 Mag enchants ...)Magnusx4 Will powerx3, slot magelight and then only the best NB can do anything to me.

Nice Vanz. I went with my small group to Trueflame for the 30 day campaign, but I'm probably going to change my guest to Haderus. I was top 10 in the 7 day and the reward was tiny. After the update, I'm in the cave grinding CP though :'(
  • KostasDragonborn
    So here's what I'm using now in IC, and a bit in Cyro.

2 Hander and Resto, will change to Dual Wield and Resto post update. Also, farming for a 3 piece Agility set for possible stam DK build in the future.

http://www.eso-skillfactory.com/en/build/dragonknight/update-7-magicka-dk/4392/
  • jbcrocks
    jbcrocks
    ✭✭✭
    Well switching to stam is the easy way to go but it excites me more as people keep saying you can't kill with a magicka dk :)
    jbcrocks [EP] - Dunmer DK - Vamp since launch - AvA 37
    Chaboyyyhd [EP]- Altmer Sorcerer - AvA 9
    Jb Shadowcloak [EP] - Imperial Nightblade AvA 9
    Commander Soviets [AD] - Bosmer Nightnlade AvA 5

• Vanzen
    Vanzen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So here's what I'm using now in IC, and a bit in Cyro.

2 Hander and Resto, will change to Dual Wield and Resto post update. Also, farming for a 3 piece Agility set for possible stam DK build in the future.

http://www.eso-skillfactory.com/en/build/dragonknight/update-7-magicka-dk/4392/

You need igneous somewhere, you cant skip +30% heal.

• Springt-Über-Zwerge
    Springt-Über-Zwerge
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just bought 4x elfbane yesterday and now im using it with 3 health willpower, 3 torugs pact and 2 engine guardian works pretty good so far. whip hits like a mad truck and defense is nice too only bummer is my magicka sustain that depends on engine guardian which im not really happy with although im running stam and mana reg bufffood
    PC,EU, EP
    Der-über-Zwerge-springt (Argonian, Magplar), Surtur Velothi (Dunmer, Magdk), Jaqene H'ghar (Imperial, Stamblade), Puppyslayer (Orc, Stamdk), Dagoth Era (Dunmer, Magblade), Æthmon Trevas (Altmer, Magsorc), Der-Zuletzt-Lacht (Argonian, Magden), Sir-Lanzeflott (Redguard, Stamplar)
  • KostasDragonborn
    I just bought 4x elfbane yesterday and now im using it with 3 health willpower, 3 torugs pact and 2 engine guardian works pretty good so far. whip hits like a mad truck and defense is nice too only bummer is my magicka sustain that depends on engine guardian which im not really happy with although im running stam and mana reg bufffood

can you post stats Total Mana/HP/Stam/Regen/Spell Damage and flame lash tool tip? I was looking at Elfbane as well, wondering what a v16 set would cost. Are you running 5 Heavy 1 Light 1 Medium? S/S on attack bar?
  • 1Grumpy_dunmer1

can you post stats Total Mana/HP/Stam/Regen/Spell Damage and flame lash tool tip? I was looking at Elfbane as well, wondering what a v16 set would cost. Are you running 5 Heavy 1 Light 1 Medium? S/S on attack bar?

I will post my stats tonight running 4 gold v16 elf bane and 4 vr 15 magnus and 1 vr 16 Molag Kena. I think I'm at
    36200 magic
    22000 health
    14000 stamina

1400 magic regen
    250 health regen
    5-600 stamina regen

Spell damage 1999

Flame lash tool tip 5750 unbuffed
    Running 5 heavy 2 light
    Spell resist 29500 buffed
    Physical resist 23000 buffed
    Spell and physical resist may be a bit off I'll double check tonight but I know this is close. I buff resists using hardened armor. Using sword and shield on bar one restoration staff on bar 2.
    Edited by 1Grumpy_dunmer1 on October 30, 2015 2:36PM
    XxbothbarrelsxX ps4 NA
    Magicka nightblade vr16 EP
    Magicka dragonknight vr16 EP
  • KostasDragonborn

I will post my stats tonight running 4 gold v16 elf bane and 4 vr 15 magnus and 1 vr 16 Molag Kena. I think I'm at
    36200 magic
    22000 health
    14000 stamina

1400 magic regen
    250 health regen
    5-600 stamina regen

Spell damage 1999

Flame lash tool tip 5750 unbuffed
    Running 5 heavy 2 light
    Spell resist 29500 buffed
    Physical resist 23000 buffed
    Spell and physical resist may be a bit off I'll double check tonight but I know this is close. I buff resists using hardened armor. Using sword and shield on bar one restoration staff on bar 2.

Nice stats! That's a little bit too low for my damage taste, but that's why I die faster. More damage for magicka DK = less tanky. My Flame Lash is hitting for 6495 unbuffed, with Combat Prayer 6976, but I mostly see upwards of 7k and crit on power lash about 13-14k. With Entropy I've seen it power lash for 18k.
    Edited by KostasDragonborn on October 30, 2015 3:08PM
  •  Jules
    Jules
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You are the reason magicka dk makes me so sad.
    You're doing nearly EVERYTHING right and yet you still can't catch a break.

I would take off devouring swarm on both bars. Use meteor on one or other. Or perhaps standard if you play in sewers/close corners a lot. I personally can't justify using inner light on both bars but that's up to you. Fossilize is great cc, try and use immediately after a meteor to keep your opponent in that dot.

My magicka dk bars are generally:

DW/resto

DW: proxy, deep breath, eruption, flame lash, choking talons (or burning for dmg but maim dmg reduction is huge) -devouring swarm
    Resto: igneous shield, blessings of restoration, fossilize, elusive mist (or rapid regen in group), volatile armor -shootingstar

S&B/resto is also a viable combo for tankiness but you lose damage like crazy and it makes it a whole other issue.

PS: gear looks pretty good but I think you should have more magicka regen. Try the kag/magnus route or maybe mess with your enchants. Should really try and be at 2k minimum. Otherwise fantastic job, keep fighting the good fight! #longlivemagickadk
    Edited by Jules on October 30, 2015 3:15PM
    JULES | PC NA | ADAMANT

IGN- @Juies || Youtube || Twitch
    EP - Julianos . Jules . Family Jules . Jules of Misrule. Joy
    DC - Julsie . Jules . Jukes . Jojuji . Juliet . Jaded
    AD - Juice . Jubaited . Joules . Julmanji . Julogy . Jubroni . Ju Jitsu

Rest in Peace G & Yi
    Viva La Aristocracy
  • Springt-Über-Zwerge
    Springt-Über-Zwerge
    ✭✭✭✭

Those are my unbuffed stats with purple v16 elf bane. Sadly its 6 heavy and 1 light since I dont have a light or medium v16 engine guardian shoulder piece with acceptable trait. Most of the armor is reinforced and the weapons and chest is gold quality torugs pact. Also no pvp buffs except for standart battle spirit since EP sucks on spellbreaker eu :D
    Im not 100% sure about engine guardian and the apprentice as mundus stone need to test that further.
    Edit:
    Oh and im no vamp atm which I will change soon so that would be another 10% magicka and stamina regen

qoWLVJX.png
    Edited by Springt-Über-Zwerge on October 30, 2015 3:35PM
    PC,EU, EP
  • puffy99
    puffy99
    ✭✭✭
    I really like the Heavy 5 piece Elf bane/Magnus/Willpwer route after a week or so with it. Course I play IC pretty much all the time now for stones and mainly in the Arena/PVP area. I really like the extra Phy Resist, but the quest for more spell damage continues, but at least you don't die so easy as in light.

Still with Talons, Embers, Lash, HardArm and Magelight you at least have a fighting chance and can Resto if I need the heal.
    Works great in small teams, 1v1 depends on the competition/CP numbers. You must have Magicka drinks at the ready though.

Hopefully DK's get a buff in the near future- a legit heal or more lash/whip power.

Purple Elf Bane is 10K and up depending on the piece..
    Gold yikes, 40-90K for a chest piece.

Grumpy- I want your gold stuff. that looks nice and those are workable numbers for sure.
  • KostasDragonborn

Those are my unbuffed stats with purple v16 elf bane. Sadly its 6 heavy and 1 light since I dont have a light or medium v16 engine guardian shoulder piece with acceptable trait. Most of the armor is reinforced and the weapons and chest is gold quality torugs pact. Also no pvp buffs except for standart battle spirit since EP sucks on spellbreaker eu :D
    Im not 100% sure about engine guardian and the apprentice as mundus stone need to test that further.
    Edit:
    Oh and im no vamp atm which I will change soon so that would be another 10% magicka and stamina regen

qoWLVJX.png

nice, and thanks for screen shot! I would be at that SD with Apprentice Mundus, but I have to use Atronach for more Magicka Regen. Still though surprised you are at almost 3k SD. Are you running all 3 SD enchants on jewelry. Sorry if I missed that if you mentioned it.
  • KostasDragonborn
    Jules wrote: »
    You are the reason magicka dk makes me so sad.
    You're doing nearly EVERYTHING right and yet you still can't catch a break.

I would take off devouring swarm on both bars. Use meteor on one or other. Or perhaps standard if you play in sewers/close corners a lot. I personally can't justify using inner light on both bars but that's up to you. Fossilize is great cc, try and use immediately after a meteor to keep your opponent in that dot.

My magicka dk bars are generally:

DW/resto

DW: proxy, deep breath, eruption, flame lash, choking talons (or burning for dmg but maim dmg reduction is huge) -devouring swarm
    Resto: igneous shield, blessings of restoration, fossilize, elusive mist (or rapid regen in group), volatile armor -shootingstar

S&B/resto is also a viable combo for tankiness but you lose damage like crazy and it makes it a whole other issue.

PS: gear looks pretty good but I think you should have more magicka regen. Try the kag/magnus route or maybe mess with your enchants. Should really try and be at 2k minimum. Otherwise fantastic job, keep fighting the good fight! #longlivemagickadk

Thanks for popping in here Jules! Sorry to make you sad, but think of it as Lefty says getting the joy of playing on hardmode with more satisfaction when you pull off some nice kills 1v1 or 1vX. I will try your suggestions!!!
  • KundaliniHero
    KundaliniHero
    ✭✭✭
    Moglijuana wrote: »
    I've basically been using the same bar set up as you, but keep switching back to Destro/Resto because I have too much fun with Molten Armaments. The only difference really is instead of inner light I use structured entropy on my attack bar, and igneous shield on my back bar. A quick Igneous -> Healing ward -> Combat prayer not only heals me well enough to survive a good amount of burst, but I also get the 8% dmg increase which lets me counter attack after a cc.

Last time I checked the 8% damage bonus from Ingenious Shield is broken.
  • americansteel
    americansteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    im wearing the same armor on my DPS templar as I am on my DK, 7 heavy 5 seducer 2 torug pact legendary divines apprentice

will power shield sword one bar and healing staff on the other, 3 will power jewelry with add spell damage enchant, armor has magic/health/stamina enchants
    im almost touching 2900 spell damage. I like how long I can survive in combat with the heavy.

my magic regen is 1420 and im a nord.
    but 5 light and 2 heavy is better for a magick DK.
    NO LONGER PLAYING ESO

POOR SERVER PERFORMANCE
    LAG
    LOAD SCREENS
    DONE
  • KostasDragonborn
    puffy99 wrote: »
    I really like the Heavy 5 piece Elf bane/Magnus/Willpwer route after a week or so with it. Course I play IC pretty much all the time now for stones and mainly in the Arena/PVP area. I really like the extra Phy Resist, but the quest for more spell damage continues, but at least you don't die so easy as in light.

Still with Talons, Embers, Lash, HardArm and Magelight you at least have a fighting chance and can Resto if I need the heal.
    Works great in small teams, 1v1 depends on the competition/CP numbers. You must have Magicka drinks at the ready though.

Hopefully DK's get a buff in the near future- a legit heal or more lash/whip power.

Purple Elf Bane is 10K and up depending on the piece..
    Gold yikes, 40-90K for a chest piece.

Grumpy- I want your gold stuff. that looks nice and those are workable numbers for sure.

I'm going to check out a 5 piece heavy elfbane, and shroud of the lich if I can get it.